• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Week of Aug 14 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

gatorphipps said:
Was it on WW? I do that too, but my last 15 is killing me! It won't come off. It may be the amount of food I have been eating lately! But I run 30+ miles a week and I am HUNGRY! :mickeybar

Lisa Loves Pooh - I LOVE OREOS! :lovestruc

Later!
Christa

I hear ya! I figure my long runs earn me about 22 activity points. However, they also earn me an increase in appetite of about 40 points :confused3 The math doesn't work out :rotfl: Actually, I almost always eat way more than WW allows, I just don't tell!

I set my WW goal high so I could get to Lifetime. I still plan on losing a good 15 pounds. I've heard you gain 5 secs on your speed for every pound of fat you lose! That's incentive!!!!

Sunny - The before isn't showing up for me, but the nows are awesome!!! Way to go!!!!

We did 50 minutes tonight. It was like a sauna out there. Dh had a headache and was even slower than me! Poor guy. I finally didn't have to race to stay with him,but he felt so bad that his stride was awful. The clomping on the pavement made me feel like I had a stampede behind me. Can you tell I'm never satisfied? ;) I must admit I liked it better when I couldn't keep up. I felt so bad about him and worried the whole time. Headaches are fairly normal for him though. :guilty:

Sunny, thanks so much for sharing! You look great, those arms are fab!!

I too want to eat like a horse after long runs. I did speed work today and it felt great for the first time. I usually feel just spent after. Took DD6 and DS8 swimming for two hours tonight. I sure am hungry... Edy's low fat Mocha, Almond and Fudge ice cream...hmmm!

Colleen

Good morning everyone!! :wave: I have to start getting on here more than once a week! I had a pretty good walk last night, I did 3.6 miles in 50 minutes and I was doing 13:55 miles. I start the first 6 weeks of the MFM walk/run program on Monday and then the run/walk on Oct. 3. I have my first 5K this weekend, I know it's only 3.1 miles and I shouldn't be nervous, but I kind of am.

Sunny--WOW!!! :earseek: I can't believe your arms, they look great!! No wonder you feel like jelly when you're finished lifting.

Mel(Chimera)--Football season can officially start! The big :dog: is back!! I think the Steelers are going to have a pretty good season!!

Oh, I have a question for all of you seasoned veterans out there. Does anyone know some exercises I can do to strengthen my back muscles? I have a pretty weak back to begin with (thanks, Mom) and I have a herniated disk that slips out of place sometimes. I've noticed that on my longer walks (and I assume it's only going to get worse when I start running), especially ones that I keep up a faster pace, I get the worse back pain in my lower back, right above my hip bones. My back is so sore today that I can't even stand up straight and I'm walking "crooked"--one hip is higher than the other. It feels like the herniated disk, but I know that's not what it is because nothing is bulging (it's gross, you can actually see the disk bulging out of my back if you know what to look for). Also, I have some ab exercises that I got from Runners World, do you think that will help strengthen my back muscles or cause more damage?? I'm a mess!! :rolleyes:

Krista princess:

Krista - Abs, abs, abs. My husband has an awful back. He used to throw it out & I'd have to drag him around on a throw rug for a week. He is more physically fit than I ever could be. Lifts weights, runs, has an awesome physique, former marine (he's 40 now), you get the picture, but his back...

Last time he "threw it out" he couldn't even walk. In the past he went to chiropractors where they gave him electric shock therapy or something like that for his back. They even told him that he had an extra vertabrae & needed back surgery. This time I took him to a Massage therapist/accupuncturist who travels to the olympics, great credentials, etc. Various family members had used this guy b4. My husband was very skeptical, but so desperate he was willing to try anything. After 1 hour, he had my husband standing upright & walking. My "macho" husband was in tears of relief, literally, when he realized he could stand up straight again just after 1 hour. (He hasn't had any probs since. When he feels his back wince, he concentrates on training his abs for a few days straight & that takes care of it).

Just had to give you the whole background, before I told you that this guy told my husband you must, must, must train your abs! Strengthen the opposing muscle of the one that's bothering you is the theory, I guess. B-4 he runs now, my DH does about 2 minutes of intense abs on one of those giant balls, then goes. I slow down & do about 5 minutes @ a moderate pace & it's helped my back as well.

So I guess that's a long winded yes! Do your abs.

Incidentally, if you have problems with your knees after running, which I do, he told me that during my warm up b4 I run, to walk/run backwards for 3-5 minutes. Alas, no more knee probs.

Hope this helps!

Jodi

Jodi--thank you SO much! I'm going to start my ab work-out tonight. :teeth: I never thought about the strengthening the opposing muscle theory, but it does make sense. I don't have any troubles with my knees, but my husband does, I'll pass that piece of info onto him.

Krista princess:

aladdinsgirl said:
Jodi--thank you SO much! I'm going to start my ab work-out tonight. :teeth: I never thought about the strengthening the opposing muscle theory, but it does make sense. I don't have any troubles with my knees, but my husband does, I'll pass that piece of info onto him.

Krista princess:

Stay away from traditional sit-ups, though. They are actually bad for your back! The stability ball is a great tool for abs. Doing the cobra position on the ball is also really good for strengthening your back. Good luck.

I did lower body weights and abs so far today. I won't get back to the gym afterwork because I'm taking DS to a free initial Jujitsu lesson. I hope it works out for him. He needs something to help himi learn how to control his body!!!! Anyone know martial arts? Have any suggestions on which discipline is best? DS has Sensory Integration Dysfunction and impulse control difficulty. I won't be surprized if he gets labelled ADD once he starts school :(

Yes, yes! The giant balls are the way to go.

Good luck with your boy at the jijitsu class, Sunny

Sunny and Jodi (and anyone else who would know)--this is what I have from Runners World. Look okay?

"Circuit abs" because it's a combination of abdominal exercises that rotate every 30 seconds. By rotating the exercises you ensure all ab muscles get strong. And the variation in the exercises allows one group of abdominal muscles to recover while another group is worked. Circuit-ab workouts can be done every day after you run. Here's how:

Set your watch to beep every 30 seconds, and begin the first ab exercise.

Do as many repetitions of the selected exercise as you can until the watch beeps.

At the beep, switch to the next exercise, which should work a different part of your stomach.

If you become fatigued before 30 seconds is up, simply rest until the next exercise begins.

Start with just 6 minutes total. Longer than that and you might have trouble getting out of bed the next day. Gradually work up to 12 minutes total.

There are many abdominal exercises besides the basic crunch. Here are just a few, along with the abdominal muscles they target. You can also invent your own.

Ins and outs: (upper and lower abs) Lie on your back, hands at your sides or under your buttocks. Move through the following four positions: (1) legs extended and 6 inches off the ground; (2) legs bent and pulled toward the chest; (3) legs extended up to the ceiling; (4) legs bent and pulled toward the chest again.

Crossover crunches: (obliques) Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. With your hands behind your head, raise your shoulders off the ground and twist toward your left knee. Lower to the starting position and repeat, this time twisting to your right knee.

Straight-leg flutter kick: (lower abs) Lie on your back with your hands under your buttocks and both feet 6 inches off the ground. Keeping your legs straight, kick your feet in a flutter-kick motion.

Dying cockroach (sorry PETA): (upper and lower abs) Lie flat on your back with your legs straight, heels just off the ground, and arms extended above your head. (Be careful not to arch your lower back.) Lift your legs while simultaneously raising your chest and reaching for your toes (your body makes a "V"shape). Return to starting position.

End your circuit-abs workout with the following stabilization exercise. With this one, try to hold the position for 60 seconds, but don't be surprised if you're shaky after 30.

The stabilizer: (entire abdominal area) Think pushup position here, except your body weight should be resting on your forearms instead of your hands. Push your body to the "up"position, tighten your stomach, and keep your shoulders, back, buttocks, and heels in a straight line. Now hold.

Krista princess:

Hey you guys!!!!

Not much time to post today, but wanted to say "hey" since I haven't been on all week.
Haven't done much of anything this week. Tried to run yesterday morning but after about 2 miles into the run I felt like I was going to be sick. So I just walked the rest of the way in. I knew I had indigestion but man I felt sick all day yesterday. I guess it could have had something to do with the jar (yes I mean jar) of salsa I had with dinner Monday night followed by two brownies for dessert. YUCK! No wonder I felt so :sick: !
Anyway today I'm fully recovered from my food hangover of course promising myself that I'm never going to eat like that again....yeah right!
I'm dog sitting again this week and have to go pick it up this afternoon so I don't know that I'll get to run until Friday. Oh well..guess it will just be one of those weeks :confused3

~bree~

Sunny-Leave it to me to have done some weird sport like martial arts! I did about 2 years worth. I took a japanese style and then a korean style. My personal theory is that the quailty of the specific school/art all depends on the teacher. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are very passionate about a specific style, but i think they pretty much all have merit. Find a good teacher. You should look for one who requires discipline and respect and is good with children. Basically I would find a school where it is obvious that the teacher loves what he/she is doing and teaching and not a school where it is really a showcase for the teacher's tallent! It is really fun. Some places even have classes for parents and children. Beware.... if you started taking lessons, the IC could get out of control!!!!!

Sounds good to me. But be really careful with the leg lift type exercises. You need to make sure you maintain a neutral spine position, that your back does not arch. With your existing back trouble, it would be safest to get a drs opinion on what's best for you back. A pilates DVD might be a good idea, too. That way you get instruction along the way of proper form. The one I really like is: http://www.collagevideo.com/in-stock-videos/3398.htm

Krista - Wow, looks pretty intense, but I'm no expert so I guess I'd do some of the exercises they suggest. Don't go too crazy, though. Remember, the main reason why you're doing this is to strengthen your back, not get washboard abs :rotfl:

I know it says to do it after the run, but try 3 minutes of light abs before the run to stretch out your back-nothing too drastic. Try & buy a ball. Most sports places carry them or @ TJMAXX or Marshalls have them for cheap, too(have them blow it up for you if you buy @ gym or sports store). The ball takes the stress off your back, the ball is your friend :earsgirl: .

Jodi

Wow! All this ab talk! Did mine today! :flower:

Sunny - All I can say is that you look GREAT! :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

DDs started school today so missed out on hill work, but did get to the gym after dropping them off and taking so many pictures it would make anyone sick. Biked 30min, ran a few miles and lifted weights. I have a new found freedom! :banana:
Any suggestions on how to get into the run after biking. OUCH is all I can say.
Christa princess:

Jodi said:
Don't go too crazy, though. Remember, the main reason why you're doing this is to strengthen your back, not get washboard abs :rotfl:

And what exactly is the problem with washboard abs??!! :teeth: :rotfl:

Krista princess:

Christa - I run after biking pretty frequently. I find that the faster I am spinning, the more confused my legs are!!!! I think your body will get used to it. I try not to torture myself on either discipline (i don't have sunny's inner commando) I generally expect a moderate speed on both if I am stacking a workout. Also, I have been wondering to myself and now all of the marathon training thread, whether standing in the saddle uses the same muscles as running. I kindof think it uses simmilar ones, so i have been limiting how much i stand when i'm riding a hill. I still have to stand a little. i can't help myself. (I do it for Lance)

Good luck! Keep up the riding!!!!! It will just make you a cooler person, if that is possible!

Hi Wish Team!

Sunny great pics. You so rock with the dedication you have found to make your goal and continue with it.

Add me to that abs abs abs cheer. I use the Winsor Pilates cd and absolutely love it. I had some back issues last year and when I started doing Winsor Pilates more seriously I have not had those back issues. Now let me say that I have not done anything Pilates for the last few months as I increased my running instead. (I really know better too.) Plus I have added back a few pounds and I am now paying for that. Pounds lost plus Pilates makes a great difference. I am back using the Winsor Pilates 20-min cd and hope that the back issue clears up for me.

The RW abs circuit is a hefty ab routine and one I would approach with extreme caution more b/c some of the exercises could cause further aggravation if you are not a bit more ab strengthened first due to arching that lower back.

The ball, or the basic Pilates should assist with a better foundation to build into that RW ab routine posted here. (imho) Sounds like a routine I might like to torture myself with when I grow up!

I did something I never did in my life today. I rode my bike to work (7-miler about) and I love it! I'm really not too sweaty and I will probably be able to kick it up a bit on the way back. There are hills in this so it was a bit more than I thought it would be, I am happy about it! My back seemed fine with it too.
:banana: :banana: :banana:

Christa - the phrase 'set your watch for 30 seconds and do as many as you can' scared the bewhatsits out of me as I can see people going bonkers and ending up in a dreadful mess! I'm not criticising the RW team, they are aiming at a specific market who are generally in pretty good shape but I wouldn't recommend that particular approach to exercise in your situation. Slow and steady would be my advice - and I'm seconding whoever suggested expert advice - not neccessarily a doc, but definitely a qualified pilates teacher who can tell you what position to be in to do an exercise so it'll strengthen the right muscles without mucking up the other ones.

Oh and I want sunny's arms now as well as her map. I must do something about the whole coveting thing. Helen

littlegreydonkey said:
Oh and I want sunny's arms now as well as her map. I must do something about the whole coveting thing. Helen
I'll add coveting those countdowns of anyone who will be there before January!

I've been meaning to share this with my fellow Garminites, but keep forgetting. Does anyone use the auto lap? I really like it. I set it for 1 mile and then I use the lap screen. This helps me try to be consistant mile by mile and I have all of my mile splits when I downlad. Very nice feature!

For those that had headaches after runs: Tuesday was hot and humid. My pace was slow, but no headace. I had about 32 oz of water and 30 of Powerade that day. I think that it made a world of difference!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter