Week of Aug 21 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in the 2006 and/or 2007 Disney Half or Full marathons. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Pacing Calculator

Riddle of the Day: Why does Mel cross the road?
To get to the shade on the other side!
Yesterday was awful! Between my lingering cold and the heat/humidity, it was my worst 'run' ever. My route is all sunshine, all the time, but if I cross the 4-lane road, it's shaded. Next time, I'm crossin' the road!
I did 4 miles, W4/R1, and actually had to talk myself through the minute runs. I gave up at 40 min on the intervals when I noticed my HR on the Garmin was in the 170s (I'm usually in the 140s). Taking Sudafed before I went out was probably not my best idea :earseek: , but I thought being able to breathe would help :rolleyes: . All that being said, it was my best pace outside of a race! Since starting the MFM program 4 weeks ago, I've shaved a minute off my pace. I did the 4 miles in 1:02:29, would've been under an hour if I'd been able to keep the intervals up the whole time. I'm looking forward to trying the 4 miles again this week!

Krista....woohoo! :banana: :cheer2: :banana: What a fabulous time! Congratulations! I'll be watching you fly by at the half!

Nancy...I'll add your bear to the wildlife list ;) . How was Cypress Gardens? I haven't been since they reopened.

Sunny...glad to see you and your long run have reconciled :love: Now if you could just whip that IC into shape ;)

MelR...what kind of doc is your DH?

Christa...I don't think I'll be participating in any races that require displaying my weight...unless I could liberally ummm....embellish the truth :rolleyes1

Minnie, Liz...didya sign up yet?

Good training everyone!

Good Morning All;

Ugh, I don't know about where you all are, but here in the northeast, the humidity today is unreal! :earseek: ...Again!

Ran a 5k this a.m. It was fun, real easy, flat course. I made it in 28:42, or something close to that. Not too bad for a first time, I guess. I've gotta do more of these to see how my body holds up when I push myself harder than the normal training pace. MfM doesn't include hill training or speed work. I've heard a lot of you guys talking about that stuff, where do you get your info from? Or do you make it up as you go along?!

It's almost time to start the official "training" for us 1/2 marathoners,(according to MfM), I can't wait. I'm a little nervous about this wole thing - that's putting it mildly!

Anyone have pain in their knee(s) right underneath the patella area? My right knees hurts a little @ the beginnin of a run, then subsides as I get going. However, when I'm done running, it doesn't really "hurt" when I walk & such, but if I push on a very small, specific area on my knee (leg has to be straight to find the spot), it hurts to touch & pressure. Any ideas?

Have a great week training everyone!!

Jodi

Jodi said:
Good Morning All;

Ugh, I don't know about where you all are, but here in the northeast, the humidity today is unreal! :earseek: ...Again!

Ran a 5k this a.m. It was fun, real easy, flat course. I made it in 28:42, or something close to that. Not too bad for a first time, I guess. I've gotta do more of these to see how my body holds up when I push myself harder than the normal training pace. MfM doesn't include hill training or speed work. I've heard a lot of you guys talking about that stuff, where do you get your info from? Or do you make it up as you go along?!

Jody - That is a GREAT time. Congrats! :cool1: :banana: :cheer2: :banana: :cool1: Fun is the key! It is hot and humid in NC too. Yesterday it got to 101! :faint: :faint: I cannot say too much about hill and speed except that I do it. On hill, I just run up and down a hill several times. Speed is done on a track. Here is how I break it down in laps.
2 warm up
4 fast
1 recovery
2 fast then 1 recovery (repeat 2x)
1 fast then 1/2 or 1 recovery (repeat 4x)
2 cool down
That is how I do it for the most part if I am not doing just 800s. Hope that helps some. Just choose speed or hill and do it only once a week. Don't try both in 1 week. It is too hard on the body.

Just eating Oreos today. Happy training!
Christa

Christa- Uh, is that 6 miles? Am I reading that right? HOLY COW. Ok, I'll give something like that a shot. I can pare it down to 3 miles, right? :rotfl:

Jodi

I've been lurking here for the last month or so reading your posts and gaining inspriration :flower: I finally decided it was time to de-lurk and say hello!

I am signed up for the 1/2 in January - have never done anything like this before and hope I am up for the challenge! I have read MFM and have been training on the TM at the gym for the last month. I am planning to walk but still holding out hope that I may be able to walk/run by that time. Yesterday I did 4 miles in 60:23 on the TM which was my PR. I guess the question is can I really do that for 13 miles?????

Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say hello and that I hope to get to know you all better by January!

Well I decided to do it...I have officially signed up for the GOOFY! My wife (Beckie) is the sane one; she is staying with the full only. So the signup sheet should show "Paul-Goofy, Beckie-Full"

Yesterday I did 16 miles in 3:20. Could have finished faster, but my wife was not feeling very good. She only (only being relative I suppose) did 14. We did the last 7 miles with a run 1/4 mile, walk 1 minute. That pace is still fast enough to keep the sweeper bus far away from us. Absolutely perfect conditions. Started at 6 am, and the clouds kept the sun hidden for the entire time! I am going to run a half marathon either the first or second week in September. It will be nice to get an official time that I can turn in when I pick up my race packet. Up until now, I have been having to guess what my anticipated finish times will be (using the pace calculator of course!). I am excited to run one for real.

I am thinking about the Trails End dinner, but I do not have finalized travel plans yet. I know that I have to finalize travel plans soon! Beckie most likely will be unable to make it because she won't arrive until Saturday afternoon.

A reminder to everyone who has not registered yet...the website for the marathon says it is more than 82.5% capacity. GET OUT THERE AND SIGN UP!

Happy training to everyone. If you have the injury bug, remember to RICE (rest ice compression elevation) it now before it gets worse.

Paul and Beckie

Jodi said:
Christa- Uh, is that 6 miles? Am I reading that right? HOLY COW. Ok, I'll give something like that a shot. I can pare it down to 3 miles, right?
It ends up being like 6.5 but you can do what ever you want. A mile may be too much for speed drills @ first. Work up to it. Our Goofy group has been doing these for a while. Good luck! :teeth:
Paul - Welcome to the Goofy Group! :earseek: There are several of us crazy enough to do this with you! Good luck with training. :wizard: How are you planning to train for the Goofy?

Later all!
Christa

Hey everyone,

We just got back from camping for the weekend in the Pocono's. We had a great time. We hiked several miles and we also walked across this area called Boulder field. Its a huge field with nothing but boulders everywhere. They range in size from tiny to huge. It was really a workout and probably ended up being a mile by the time you went out and back. It was a great workout because you really had to use your core to keep yourself from slipping and falling. It was actually pretty scary!!

1hickoryrun.jpg

Its definately getting time to start our "official" marathon training. I'm getting excited. Now I just got to figure out where to stay this year and how long I want to do it. I just found out my mom isn't going with me now so I'm back to being solo!

You all that are doing the "goofy" challenge- My hats off to you!! :cheer2:

Hi Everyone!

Well tomorrow is offically 20 weeks out from the race! Time to start the MFM program!! I'm excited to officially get into training mode though my distance will be the same as I've been doing for a while. I am adding a 4th run day in which will make things interesting as I've always run 3 days a week--even training for last years half.

My run days will be Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. Cross training on Tuesday and Friday and Rest (yeah!) on Sunday. Who else is starting tomorrow??

kaf7878 said:
Who else is starting tomorrow??

I officially started today so I could run my long runs on Fridays. DH will do his long runs on Saturday. I did my 40 minutes of run, I got in a little over 4 miles. We will see what happens when I crank it up in a few days.

Melanie, oh my now that is a boulder field, what a workout!
I am sure I would twist my ankle.

Christa, ahh Oreos...my kids made me buy Klondike Oreo ice cream sandwiches yesterday. Yum. That is quite the speed workout you do. What distance did you do when you first started? It must be nice training with a group. :grouphug:

Paul, wow, 16 miles that is great!

akasleepingbeauty, welcome! You are already up to walking 60 minutes! Well you are well on your way! You will do great!

Jodi, that is an awesome 5K time! Especially for your first one. Next one will be even faster. Wasn't it a great feeling!

Mel, how does the heart rate monitor on the Garmin work? Do you have to have one of those straps around your chest? My husband has one of those Polar things and I tried to wear it around my chest, but my sports bra kept getting in the way and it kept losing my pulse.

Morning all - well as it's Monday lunchtime here now, it's officially my first day of training so I'm booked in for a 10k run tonight (I tried to get away with the 5k I'm supposed to do but running buddy just laughed at me!!). I've got my little eyeore notebook to write down how long I'm supposed to do versus how long I do do, plus what I've eaten and all sorts of other exciting things which I'm sure will come to me later.

Ailment of the week for me is that I seem to have developed acid reflux (how, what, why!) which makes for some lovely coughing and wheezing. Am living on Gaviscon at the moment and hoping that eating only about half of what I want to eat will help me get rid of the problem - and maybe the last 3 of the 13 kilos I seemed to get when I moved here.

I did have lots of things to say re last week, but didn't write them down so have forgotten everything - except the runway run joke which made me laugh mightly (and then wheeze a lot). Anyway, lunchbreak over for me, so good luck all those who are starting today. Just 80 runs to go until the big one.....Helen

Hi all-looks like everyone is doing great on their training. Mine is going pretty good. I'm having trouble with the friction on the bottom of my feet. The thin socks I love are too thin for my shoes. I guess I need to go get some body glide. Does that stuff feel gooey on your feet?

akasleepingbeauty-I have never done anything like this before either. I have never entered any kind of race. Right now my plan is to walk, but maybe half way thru the training I might try walk/run. Keep up the training, if I can do it anyone can.

chimera- Sudafed can really increase your blood pressure. Be careful with that & the heat/humidity.

Christa-what a workout! I may cut that in half & try it next week. I want to make sure I stay ahead of the sweepers. Right now that is my only goal!

Have a great week guys. Work hard, be careful.

Welcome Rhonda! :wave: Don't worry, you'll be great! Your pace is in the same neighborhood as mine right now and there's still 4.5 months to train! Have you tried using the pacing calculator? 4 miles in under 1 hour translates to not getting swept in the half! :banana:

Tiff...yeah, I know better. But I just wanted to breathe! There was talk when Liz and Lily did their half about glide or Vaseline on the feet. Anyone recall what the advice was?

Helen...is it cold there now? Can we all come live with you for a couple months til it cools off here? :teeth:

Colleen...the Garmin HR monitor is a chest strap that syncs up to the GPS wrist device. You don't have to wear the HR monitor to use the GPS. It drives me crazy, so I don't wear it often, but the Garmin says it will automatically design target HR for you if you get some max workouts in. I found some chafing spots after yesterday's excursion, so doubt I'll wear it again for awhile.

Kelly...congrats on starting tomorrow! Makes it seem more real ::MickeyMo

Melanie...cool rock garden ya got there ;)

Paul...you're now Goofy...wtg! :cheer2: Is Beckie doing the half with you in a couple weeks? Good luck to you (or both of you)! Be sure to let us know how it goes!

Jodi...wtg on your 5K! :banana: :cheer2: :banana: Great pace!

Happy Monday!

It's a happy one for me just finished my long run of 9 miles doing 4R/1W @ 12:30 pace. I was hoping to go a little faster but I couldn't pull it off. I used my new Camelback water pack for the first time. I really liked it vs my old fanny pack water bottle holder.

I did finally get MFM and am reading it now.

Jodi- Was that the Windsor 5K you did? Good job. Hope your knee is better. You might want to get it checked out soon to prevent any damage.

Paul-Glad you're Goofy, too!

Rhonda- You can do it!

Melanie-Sorry your mother won't be going.

TiffJ-BodyGlide doesn't feel too gooey just a little slippery. I haven't used it on my feet though I do use runs as a chance for heavy moisturization with Avon Moisture Therapy lotion. I've yet to get a blister.

Take care,
Kiena

Yikes!!!! No longer training to train. Official training starts today!

Saturday was not a great run, but it was consistent. I did 10:41, 10:39, and 10:40. Then, the last mile was fairly fast, but that's fairly normal. I was just tired of dying in the middle.

Rhonda - Welcome!

Krista - Great job Saturday!

Paul - :banana: GOing for th eGoofy! WTG!

Mel - Hang in there with the cold thing you've got going on! Din't over do it!

I ate WAY too much this wekend, bt it's not sushi belly. Steak, crab meat, salmon, chocolate mousse. Yummy. Going to have to do a little better now that it's officially "training time", though!

Have a great week everyone!

Welcome, Rhonda :wave: So glad you joined us!

Jodi-- great time! I hope your knee is a temporary thing and nothing to worry about.

Mel-- get better. Rest and recoop. I hope you feel better real soon. Heat and humidity = worst run ever even without a cold!

MelRhoads said:
Sunny - With all of the weight you have lost and new toned buff bod, it looks like you would love to write you weight on your calf! What does your Dx do? Is he an MD?

OMG, No!!! only the arms are getting towards buff!! The rest of the bod is still hiding behind a "pardon our appearance while we renovate" sign :rotfl: Dx works for a local town, on call means he gets crews out if there is a water break, tree down, etc. You got the boy to go 20 miles! WOW! I'm impressed.

Well I considered last week my first week of official training. I guess I miss-counted. I thought last week was week 20 :confused3 Oh well, I did everything I set out to do except speed work. I found a great place to do hill work over the weekend, but its doubtful I can get out there very often.

Sunny

Hey everyone! I just wanted to say thanks again for everyone's support and wish you luck. Kevin is still running the half, but I have just been so busy. I have just started my own business and just don't think I will have the time to train. I have switched my registration over to the 5K instead, just to keep in shape and help support Kevin. So I will be there cheering everyone on at the finish line!! :cheer2: :cheer2:

Happy Monday everyone! :flower: I did 14 miles on the bike yesterday. I am really enjoying cycling. My riding partner will be out of town next weekend so we'll see if I am as motivated to ride alone. :rolleyes: Went to the gym this morning and did 2.5 miles. I am still able to keep up the pace running 3 and walking 2. Tomorrow will be cross-training so back on the bike. :moped:

Howdy to Rhonda from a fellow Texan!

We leave for Disney World in 10 days! :banana: :banana: The girls still know nothing about the trip! Shh! I can't wait to hear about Cam's girls only trip. I hope it wasn't too wild. ;)

Hey Minnie, where are you?! :confused3

Amanda - I'm so glad you stopped by for an update. I have been wondering about you. I checked your blog page last night just to get the scoop! Good luck with your business.

Mel - I hope your cold gets better!

Sunny - Well, guess what... I missed my long run this weekend becuase my Dh was on call and my partner was sick! Every time I got a chance to go, Phil would get called in! I finally got the chance to run this weekend and it was at 10p last night. I, needless to say, did not go. I would have had to stay in my neighborhood, which is .45 miles! I just could not stomach the idea of doing over 20 laps and getting to bed at midnight! At least I got the bike ride in! I am training for a century ride in October. I have no schedule though! I really need Lisa's advice on how to raise the $ I need for the ride. It is for the Am. Diabetes Assn. I am acually considering walking around the block to ask neighbors for donations of pocket change! It can't hurt!

WISHers from Michigan - Is anyone running the Crim this weekend? It is in Flint, MI? That is actually my dh's home and we are flying up this weekend! Maybe I'll get to meet a wisher! I am going to run it with my sis-in-law! I am trying to get her to sign up for the disney half!

Christa - I did the Ozark valley Tri in June. I was a 1000yd sm, 19mi bike, and 4 mile run! I finished (It was my first), but my time was not that great! I hope to do better next year. I did good on the ride and terrible on the run! go figure. I didn't care how i did on the swim, i just did it. I was also really slow on transitions. That cost me big. I thought that the trans. would be no prob becuase we do them all of the time with adventure race, but they are a little more accelerated in the tri. During the adventure race, i usually refill everyone's water, get them snacks, use the bathroom and even sit for a little if the navigator (dh) is plotting out the course!

Whew... I need to run off some of this chattiness!!!!!

Thanks Mel, I totally forgot about the blog. Just updated it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter