Week of Aug 21 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

MElR - I will not be doing the Crim. Never have, but it is huge. Good luck! I will be driving though FLint on Saturday on my way to teh baby shower I am co-hosting in Saginaw. Does that count? ;)

Speaking of those of us from MI, Anyone heard from Solotraveler since he got back from Jordan?

I have been in and out of the weekly threads but have enjoyed reading about everyone's progress. You all are doing great. I haven't been as committed as I need to be but this is the week. I started exercising again this morning and it is for good this time. I have made up my mind and there will be no changing. I look forward to the upcoming weeks as we all prepare for the Marathon.

I have been bitten by the bug--I've spent all morning looking for local 5K's I can do!! The next one we have scheduled is Sept. 16 and I don't think I can wait that long. :rotfl: I just found a 10K on Thanksgiving Day that's in Downtown Cincinnati, I think that would be perfect so I don't go into shock trying to transition from running a race that's 3.1 miles and going to one that's 13.1 miles!!

I start the MFM walk/run program today, I'm doing the first 6 weeks of that which will bring me to Oct. 3, which is 14 weeks out from the half and then I start the MFM run/walk. I'm secretly hoping to be able to train for the run program, but we'll see.

Mel--sorry about the Buc's loss this weekend. Steelers won, but it was so ugly (and boring) that I didn't consider it much of a victory. What's up with Ricky Williams? He looks like a terrorist.

Amanda--good luck in starting your own business! I would love to own a party planning business, maybe someday. Sorry you aren't able to do the half, but I'll be looking for you in the crowds.

Heather--can I hide in your suitcase? I'll return the favor for you when Stephen and I go to WDW in 61 days--not that I'm counting or anything. :hourglass

Jodi--awesome 5K time!! :banana: :cheer2: :banana: :cheer2: I'm jealous!! :teeth:

Welcome Rhonda!! :wave:

I better get back to work, just popped in to say hi! Happy training!!

Krista princess:

Krista- Great idea. I think I'm going to do the first half of the walk/run program and then try the run/walk or possibly the run when the actual 14 week program starts. I've been wanting to start and then restart when the time actually started. I've ben toying with the idea of running only but I need to build up my base again.

I was able to do a 2 mile walk at lunch though. So at least I'm getting moving again.

Hi, everyone! WOW!! You guys all start your training this week. Geez, that really drives home a point, doesn't it? I am so glad that I am still training to train, but I absolutely HAVE to find time to do it. Last week was a disaster, and I am in such a busy time of year as far as my evenings and Saturdays because of DDalmost17's colorguard and DS12's soon-to-be cross country season. Hoping to find a way to make all that work for me.

Of course, first I will have to recover from this weekend!

TXBelle said:
We leave for Disney World in 10 days! :banana: :banana: The girls still know nothing about the trip! Shh! I can't wait to hear about Cam's girls only trip. I hope it wasn't too wild. ;)

Thanks, Heather! There really are no words to describe the amazing time we had, though I seem to have taken up a page or two in my WISH journal going on and on about it! :rotfl2: You can read all about it at post #539 of my journal, if you are so inclined! Cam's journal entry about amazing WDW weekend!

Suffice it to say I'd like to think I burned a million calories using all those muscles to smile and laugh like a child. :teeth: And, as I stood in front of the castle watching WISHES and hearing my friend, Judy, crying with joy at what she called a "spiritual experience", all I could think about was how amazing the experience is going to be in January, wogging through the Magic Kingdom and enjoying the whole race weekend experience!

You are all really inspring me to buckle down to a lot of the things I need to focus on including core strengthening and all sorts of abdominal work. KeenHo is already working like crazy so hopefully, his motivation will rub off on me. :goodvibes

Back later to read more here. Have a great night, all. I am still catching up at work, etc. from one day off! :confused3

wfloyd said:
I left this on the other site as well but after playing around a little, the calculator on the same site uses "mcmillianrunningcalculator.htm" now instead of "calculator2.htm".

I noticed that when I posted the new thread yesterday. I check that link every week as I setup the hyperlink, so got the updated version. Let me know if any of the links on the first page of the weekly thread aren't working...I'll either fix or delete!

I just realized that it has been several months since I've last posted! Since then, both my husband and I have decided to do the Goofy instead of our original half only. We both completed our first ever half marathon on August 6th, and then spent the past 10 days in WDW! It's kinda scary to think about the huge step we've taken in signing up for the Goofy, but I'm determined to do it. I still remember how much my thighs hurt for 2 days after the recent half! I think I'd better incorporate more squats or something in preparation for the next one! Any other pointers? Since I've only been running since January, 2005, I'm planning on walking the half and run/walk the full. Happy training to all!

Heather - Thanks for thinking of me. I'v been lurking but since I've kept my lazy but on the couch rather than out on the road I haven't posted.

Finally this evening the weather cooled down and I made myself get back out on the road for a 2 mile wog (12 min miles). My DS had middle school orientation so I didn't get out till late but at least I got out there.

Mel - No I still haven't registered. From the numbers that have been posted I will likely get locked out of registration. Since I have yet to make a wog past 4 miles I just can't make myself register. I can make it under the required pace but haven't been able to get in the mileage. I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point.

Hope everyone is doing well! My new job has kept me MIA for awhile but I hope to catch up soon.

Minnie - Your still at the mileage needed to start the Penguin's training program and you've already got the pace. What more is there to know. Sign up already!

I did my 40 min yesterday and have packed my backs to go to Curves to cross train after work. Hope they still recognize me there!

Good morning!! :sunny: I started the MFM walk/run program last night, I did it for 32 minutes (walk 3, run 1) and I was able to wog 2.52 miles. I had a faster pace last night than I did for the 5K on Saturday! I had to laugh when I looked at my training schedule, my "long" wog for this week is 2 miles. I'm not sure if I should bump that up or just enjoy the break.

Question for you guys, Stephen (my husband) hasn't been able to run for like a week and a half because we think he has runner's knee. It's a sharp pain all around his knee that he gets when he runs or walks too fast. It's caused by overtraining (which he his guilty of) and another cause is running on the shoulder of the street when one side is higher than the other--which he does when cars are coming at him. So my question is: what can he do to strengthen his knee and the muscles surrounding it? Does anyone have any advice? He has leg weights that he uses every other day and the ever famous pool running and resting, but is there anything else? Is this something that he needs to see a doctor or a trainer about? Or is the only "cure" rest? I'd appreciate it if someone has some insight, he's driving me crazy!!! :teeth:

Minnie--Please register! I know you can do it! I think you will be so disappointed if registration closes before you get a chance.

Krista princess:

wtpclc said:
Speaking of those of us from MI, Anyone heard from Solotraveler since he got back from Jordan?

I'm back!!!! :)

Sorry I've been gone so long. After my trip I came down with a stomach bug that kind of derailed training for a while and then it's the time of year when work gets really really crazy, so I've been very neglectful of my posting. :guilty:

I officially started the MFM Run/Walk training plan on Sunday (to allow myself to run long on Fridays). So far so good with my two 35 minute sessions Sunday and Monday and I'm looking forward to my crosstraining day today. I hit the cross country trail at work yesterday and that was great-- felt good to do something different and get off the road.

Minnie- 12 minute miles? You're golden, go ahead and register! It's 91% full already! :sunny:

Mel- Not doing the Crim here. I have to work :( an 18 hour day :sad:

Did anyone notice that the official WDW marathon site now has sweep points and times listed on it?

For the Half:
http://disneyworldsports.disney.go....Marathon2006PacingRequirementsEventDetailPage

For the Full:
http://disneyworldsports.disney.go....Marathon2006PacingRequirementsEventDetailPage

I'll be keeping these on hand for sure during the race.

Back to work-- Happy training today everyone!
Solotraveler

Great to see MelanieC, TammyNC, Penny, and Minnie back on the site. Keep moving ladies! We can do this! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Cam-I am glad you had a great trip. I have got to plan one of those girlfriend weekends. That sounds like so much fun.

Carrie- Hmm, I would definitely let you stow away in my suitcase if I had any room in there. ;)

Today I did 7 miles on the bike at the gym. Boring! :rolleyes: After biking outside for the past few weeks, returning to the stationary bike was not a stimulating experience <yawn>. Oh well, at least there was no risk of falling or getting hit by a car.

solotraveler said:
Minnie- 12 minute miles? You're golden, go ahead and register! It's 91% full already! :sunny:

Solotraveler

Wow, more than 91% full. This is really the last chance for those who are thinking about registering. Minnie...you can do it!! :cheer2:

My DH is thinking about running the full with me, but I just don't know if he would be a help or a hinderance. We never run together, he runs a sub 3:30 marathon, so he will have no problem keeping up. ;) (I am hoping for under 5 hours.) I get thinking that after 15 or 20 miles, it would be nice to have him there. If he did run we would have to hire a Fairy Godmother to watch our kids from 3 a.m. until noon at $14 /hour. I just don't know. Any suggestions? Is anyone else bringing their kids and what plans do you have?

I did my first cross training yesterday. Resistance training, arms, squats, lunges, crunches. Gee was I sleepy after doing that. Feel good today though.

Happy training.

Colleen

Solo and Carrie - Bummer! I was hoping to meet some of you guys there. I am taking a camera on the course so I post pics when I get back.

Heather - I love biking as well!!! Have I mentioned that before :rotfl: ?
I think riding on the stationary bike is actually way worse than running on a treadmill. Not only are you stuck in the same place, but you don't have the joy of the wind and you can't lean into the turns! The worst is to put you bike (which of course you have developed a love relationship with) on the trainer. You feel stuck and I think your bike feels betrayed. I get confused too because the shifting is the exact opposite on the trainer. When I get on the road it really messes me up!

Made up for my missed long run last night. I ran around the block (i think a total of 18 times) to run 8 miles. The neighbors are sure I am insane now!

Have a great training day everyone!

MelRhoads said:
Made up for my missed long run last night. I ran around the block (i think a total of 18 times) to run 8 miles. The neighbors are sure I am insane now!

:rotfl2: In the book "I Run therefore I am Nuts", Bob Swartz describes having his family members line up with cups of water in the driveway so he could practice drinking on the run. I suppose neighbors just don't get it!

All this talk of biking just might sway me to get a bike. I haven't been on a real bike since I was about 22. I love roller-blading, but for the past year anytime I have a chance to get out, I'd rather run. Maybe when DS is a bit older we will roller blade together.

I did 6.4 miles on the TM yesterday. I did a few 'bursts" at 7.5 mph but most of it was 6.7. My schedule keeps getting rearranged outside of my control :confused: Today I won't be able to go to the gym afterwork, so I guess it will be TaeBo. I'm going to the gym now to reduce my butt to jello (oh, that's right, it already is jello). Look out squats, here I come!

Sunny

Thank you ALL so very much for the warm welcome! I am so glad that this group is here as I know I will be needing the encouragement along the way as well as on the big day and hopefully I will be able to provide some for others as well.

I am off to the gym today for my cross-training day - will do weight training and a bit of time on the stair machine (ugh!). Sure wish my gym offered a pilates class more than one day a week as I love doing that for cross-training.

Cam - I wanted to say hi - we met way back when on the Magic in 5/01. Your family is so nice - we really enjoyed watching your kids having a great time on the catamaran snorkel trip we took in St. Maarten. I am so impressed by your new dedication to healthy living - you should be very proud of the example you are setting for many of us!

Chimera - I am working hard to keep that ~15 min mile pace so that I won't be swept. I really feel I can do the miles but wonder if I can do them fast enough over the whole course. I guess I will just keep on working at it - thank goodness we still have 4 months to go!!

Well, no more procrastinating - time to get out of the house and over to the gym. Hope everyone has a fantastic and healthy day!!

Minnie- You can do this- Sign up!! It is such an amazing accomplishment when you cross that line. It was literally life changing for me. I will never forget that moment last year!!

Hey all- Do we have a group rate at some hotels this year? I'm not sure where I want to stay. I had been waiting on my mom to figure out where we wanted to stay, but now that I know she isn't going with me I better figure out where I want to be. I'm thinking I may come in on Thursday and leave on Monday. If I come in on Friday I think it may be too tight to get my packet and meet everyone for dinner at Trails End.

Back from the gym

OK, butt and legs are jello. They have a few hours to rest before I hit 'em with TaeBo :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter