Week of Aug 21 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

Hey there! Disney has put up some more information about the process for those going Goofy. It's here

Looks like they're using wristbands to keep track of us. All I can say is they'd better be comfy and soft. I don't want some paper thing chafing at me the whole weekend!!!

Day 2 of training today with free weights. I hate free weights. I don't have very good coordination with them and inevitably end up dropping one on my foot or hitting myself in the head with one. Not cool at all.

Happy training everybody! If you're on the fence about signing up, get off the fence and sign up. You can always change your mind later and decide not to do it (and only be out some $$$), but once it's full you can't change your mind!!!

I should be fired for missing this one!

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY CARRIE!!!!!
:cake: :bday: :cake: :cake: :bday: :cake: :bday:

aladdinsgirl said:
Good morning!! :sunny: I started the MFM walk/run program last night, I did it for 32 minutes (walk 3, run 1) and I was able to wog 2.52 miles. I had a faster pace last night than I did for the 5K on Saturday! I had to laugh when I looked at my training schedule, my "long" wog for this week is 2 miles. I'm not sure if I should bump that up or just enjoy the break.

Question for you guys, Stephen (my husband) hasn't been able to run for like a week and a half because we think he has runner's knee. It's a sharp pain all around his knee that he gets when he runs or walks too fast. It's caused by overtraining (which he his guilty of) and another cause is running on the shoulder of the street when one side is higher than the other--which he does when cars are coming at him. So my question is: what can he do to strengthen his knee and the muscles surrounding it? Does anyone have any advice? He has leg weights that he uses every other day and the ever famous pool running and resting, but is there anything else? Is this something that he needs to see a doctor or a trainer about? Or is the only "cure" rest? I'd appreciate it if someone has some insight, he's driving me crazy!!! :teeth:

Minnie--Please register! I know you can do it! I think you will be so disappointed if registration closes before you get a chance.

Krista princess:

Last season--alot of our runners (my team in training team) ended up wearing knee straps to hold the kneecap in place. It prevented unnecessary friction. He might wish to see a doctor/PT--I'm afraid that with a knee--and all the possibilities on how to fix it or hurt it more, it would be in his better interest to get professional assistance as well as proper "brace/strap" fitting for his particular condition.

He probably needs to slow it down a notch.

solotraveler said:
Did anyone notice that the official WDW marathon site now has sweep points and times listed on it?

For the Half:
http://disneyworldsports.disney.go....Marathon2006PacingRequirementsEventDetailPage

For the Full:
http://disneyworldsports.disney.go....Marathon2006PacingRequirementsEventDetailPage

I'll be keeping these on hand for sure during the race.

Back to work-- Happy training today everyone!
Solotraveler

That is awesome--I bet this is in response to what happened last season. It will help all involved to be more prepared for the races--and to know the hard and fast time they need to be somewhere to not be swept.

akasleepingbeauty said:
Cam - I wanted to say hi - we met way back when on the Magic in 5/01. Your family is so nice - we really enjoyed watching your kids having a great time on the catamaran snorkel trip we took in St. Maarten. I am so impressed by your new dedication to healthy living - you should be very proud of the example you are setting for many of us!

Hi, Rhonda! How nice to hear from you! You have an amazing memory. I am so impressed. If my "notes" are correct, I think you had a DD15 and DS1 back then, right? That catamaran experience was amazing, wasn't it? Although I definitely could have done without seeing those nude sunbathers from that private boat docked on our "uninhabited island"! ;) Anyway, thank you so much for your kind words. You really made me smile today. :goodvibes

Well, everyone, in case you haven't seen it Southwest Airlines just released dates through January 9. I cannot believe I made our reservations today! We got $79 each way, which is pretty good, and I will keep an eye open for a drop to anything less. We are flying down Wednesday evening and flying back Monday evening! :cool1: :Pinkbounc :cheer2: :banana: :teeth:

Hey Cam,

I was just looking at SW too out of Philly and noticed they just opened up the dates. I only looked till 1/9 and not past that date. Now I got to firm up my plans, YIKES!

keenercam said:
Well, everyone, in case you haven't seen it Southwest Airlines just released dates through January 9. I cannot believe I made our reservations today! We got $79 each way, which is pretty good, and I will keep an eye open for a drop to anything less. We are flying down Wednesday evening and flying back Monday evening! :cool1: :Pinkbounc :cheer2: :banana: :teeth:

Don't feel bad about thinking you booked too early, we booked our flight over a month ago because Delta had a decent rate and the times we liked for our flight. We actually have a trip the end of Nov/Dec to take before the marathon weekend. The kids and myself are flying down on Wednesday, DH is flying down on Friday and then we all are flying back on Sunday.

Rhonda, I am at the same pace as you are, I haven't tried more than 4 miles yet, but was able to walk it in 1 hour on a pretty warm day. I am concerned about training in November and December here in Connecticut, I don't want to buy a treadmill, so I'm hoping that we don't get much snow early on. Where are you all staying? Did you book a package through Disney Sports? Does anyone know how they go about picking you up from the resortsthat morning, I really don't want to get picked up at 2:30 a.m.
Kris

:wave2: Remember me? I can't believe that registration is filling so quickly......I am hoping to be able to register by payday, the 30th....but if not, I guess it is going to have to wait until next year. I wish my job situation weren't so uncertain!!!

Who ever said running was cheap? :confused3 Funny thing is, I am ready for my second pair of shoes...and just bought three new pair of socks....holy moley!! I have yet to get my Garmin....love my iPod....and get this...I got a black toe nail!! Whoo hoo! Took long enough, but I have one :paw: I am sooo proud!!!

Happy Birthday Carrie! Hope you had a great day!

Sunny, you amaze me!

Minnie, you better get your registration in! Time is a wasting girl!

Where has the :dog: catcher been? Lily, we miss you!! :goodvibes

Helen, you go girl!! You do amaze me with your training!

Lisa, where have you been? You were MIA there for a while, nice to have you back!

Tammy, sounds like you are going to be a busy beaver the end of the year! Enjoy!

Cam, you still amze me too! keep up the great work! What an inspiration you are to me!

Hey Mel! You better get to planning!!! I looked at air too....got to get the registration and the shoes first...then I can worry about air and hotel! Oye!

:wave2: and Welcome to the Newbies! You are gonna love it here!

I know I have missed A LOT of people...but alas, duty calls! I am officially training....for what yet, I don't know...but I am training! Time is going to really fly! Best of evereything to everyone!

Back to the grindstone...duty calls!

Argh!!
:cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

Liz--You sound like me! I told Stephen that I can't for the day to come when I have black toe nails!! :rotfl2:

Lisa--thanks for the advice, I'll pass it on.

Krista princess:

Hey everyone!
Melissa - Don't worry, my neighbors think I am nuts too. My neighborhood is .8 and I go round and round and round and......well you understand.

Disneefun - I agree with you ........when you said "Looks like they're using wristbands to keep track of us. All I can say is they'd better be comfy and soft. I don't want some paper thing chafing at me the whole weekend!!!"

Biked yesterday and ran today. Like doing something different. I think it may be getting cooler here. I don't know if it is just me getting used to the heat though.
DH and I talked his good friend into signing up for the half. :banana: He would not do the Goofy with DH and me. He has run the NY marathon 2 times, he said he did not want to train for another. Oh well.

Christa princess:

Just an FYI for those of you flying out of RDU to MCO. I booked my trip leaving 1/4 returning 1/8 for $116.20 RT.

Carrie - Happy Birthday!!!!!

Krista - I think maybe your husband's got what I've got "runner's knee" is right! Do a general search on yahoo & a few good websites pop up about how to treat it. Basically it's RICE. Ugh, I am sooooo aggrevated!! Everytime I get into a cool funk, something comes up. Usually it's shin splints, but yay, this time it's something different.

I suppose I ran too far last weekend & wasn't ready for the 10 miles. Apparently when you jump up to quickly in mileage, you can get this stupid ailment! Dang it.

The only good thing is is that it's still kinda far out from the 1/2. I just hate losing any ground that I've gained. I'm kinda addicted, & now I"ve got to stop.

Someone mentioned that they knew people who would wear those bands around their knees, did they work good? Sorry, I'm too lazy & frustrated to go back & look who you were.

Well, that's it, sidelined for at least a week.

Jodi

Jodi said:
Someone mentioned that they knew people who would wear those bands around their knees, did they work good? Sorry, I'm too lazy & frustrated to go back & look who you were.

Well, that's it, sidelined for at least a week.

Jodi

It worked for me--but I don't think I had true runner's knee. I ran once and it felt like my knee cap was going to fall off. I got the strap and that went away.

Most on our team with the "runner's knee" were alleviated with strap--ITB issues were some resolved with strap and others resolved with rest or modified training plan (like a run/walk instead of a run).

That's why it is important to go ask a doctor for a specific diagnosis and a specific treatment and a specific brace/strap to prevent a future problem.

I don't want to tell you to do something and have it be the wrong thing.

The unfathomable, not in a million years, unimaginable has just happened....

hubby just signed up for the half! bawahahahahahahahaha!!!!

He wanted a way to lose weight--I said eat less or move more....but something has got to give. Casually suggested training to walk for 13.1 miles....and he bought it!!!

So hubby is going for a donald, wahoooooooo!!!!!!!

I really need to go to bed and this room is freezing. There are sooo many to touch base with. I'll try to hit more tomorrow.

Thanks all for the birthday wishes. I had a whole weekend doing just what I wanted. (Well, I did laundry too, but getting that out of teh way just makes my work week soo much better!)

Mel - Sorry, can't get out of your job htat easily! You're stuck with us!

solotraveler - Glad you're back safely. Sorry about the stomach issues and the busy work schedule. Thanks fro the links! Now I'll know when I'm "safe".

Minnie - I don't see your "I registered, now get off my back" post yet! I mean it! The long run for week 1 of teh run the full program is 4 miles. What's stopping you? Have you read MfM?

Liz - :wizard: That you can get in!

Krista - Tell Steve to take it easy and ice. You don't want to mess witht he knees.

TammyNC - I was tryin and trying to figure out why I felt like I knew you on teh DVC boards. SOrry, I'm kind of slow these days. Good to see you again!

I cannot believe that I actually got a better price than SW from a MI airport that isn't metro! Plus, it's a direct flight! I've never been on one of those. Think dh will let me buy more stuff at WDW because I won't have airport shopping time?? :earboy2: Oh yeah, he's never told me no, especially not in WDW! (But I do the checkbook, so I know what is allowed. :( )

I've been thinking it's time for those cold soaks again myself, but it makes my bath tub grumpy. It's just so much papier with heat and bubbles. Plus, it's actually been cool enough to take a hot bath teh last couple of days. I've never been so happy for cool weather to come.

I made it to Curves today. It was a loooooong day. Left at 6:45 and got hoem at 7:15. Yuck! The machines felt really good, especially after 7 hours in teh car. I only knew 2 people , though, and teh employee was new. Boy did I feel like a schmuck.

Where is Craig?? I feel like we lost a coach.

Hi Team!
Sorry today too. Have been way to busy to do anything.
Will try better later.
Must say though

Lisa, what great news! You are inspiring him too.

kdiana, the busses start early, it is quite an event if you haven't been part of it I found it interesting to get there early as everyone was being bussed in all sleppy, and full of anticipation.
If you get a moment, I think there is a thread about where everyone is staying.

I think this will be the last time I try to push those who haven't registered as it will be closed out way soon.
Minnie too,
I cannot stress enough, YOU CAN DO THIS! There is time and if nothing else, pay your $ and consider it a contribution. ...But YOU CAN DO THIS! Really! You have to experience the mystery and awesomeness of this. I made it my first time ever half event. I wanted my virginity to be taken at the event. I didn't want to try other races first. I am so glad and it was such an emotional event I cannot describe. My pace was 15 min to do a mile. I did it ok fine with time to take pics. You can do this. Do not have self doubts. Do not put yourself in the way of defeat.
Pictures to help inspire you to register...you will miss out on all this if you don't sign up.
So, now that I am off the Hyde Park platform...on with your training everyone. I have been oh so busy, so now I am tired and off to sleep. I have not done anything since Saturday, so I feel badly about it, but I will get it going.

Lets see...Garmin on one wrist...heart-rate monitor on another wrist...Goofy wristband on another wrist...wait a minute...I ran out of wrists! :rotfl2: I wonder if the wristband is going to be coolmax?

The way that I am training for the Goofy is by placing my longest "maintenance run" the day after my long run. For example, this week I did 16 miles on Saturday and 50 minutes on Sunday. Essentially, I am doing 2 long runs on consecutive days. Then I take Monday off, do track/intervals on Tuesday and another maintenance run on either Wednesday or Thursday (depending on how I feel). Friday is always a rest day before the longest run on Saturday. If I am unusually sore or think that I might get injured again, I take an extra day off. Runners World had an article not too long ago about training for a marathon by running 3 days a week.

My training program is designed for a marathon in October, but I am not going to do the October marathon. I am going to do a half as a training run, and continue to build my weekly miles. The way I figure, the goal is to finish the half and the full. I plan on going slow and taking multiple walk breaks on race day. My PR from the Goofy will be that many miles in 2 days. I am not at all concerned about my time -- just as long as I finish the 1/2 in less than 3.5 hours and the full in less than 7. Oh yeah, I need to have enough energy for a week of visiting the parks afterward :earsboy: .

Does anyone have any advice on how to get my support staff around the world on marathon day? I plan on having my cell phone with me so I can provide location updates. Bree/Christa--your support seemed to be all over the place from what I remember from your report on the tricharlotte website. How did they pull that off? Any tips that the Disney Marathon veterans have would be appreciated.

Keep on training everyone, and register if you haven't already. You will regret not signing up once the races are full. Also, stay healthy! It is better to lose a week now than a month (or longer) later.

Paul

Wow-everyone has been really busy. Today is my rest day & I never thought it would actually happen to me but I want to walk today, not rest(although I know I need it so I dont get injured) I'm actually enjoying training. It is also keeping me eating healthy too.

Tiger Lily-just seeing those picutres got me even more excited! I cant wait to meet everyone & just enjoy all that weekend will have to offer.

Minnie-do it! Do it! Do it! You have a great base for your training & time to get up the milleage.

lizdotcom-good luck with the job situation. I know what it feels like to be stuck in a job you absolutely hate. Hope you are able to make it in January.

My mom said that after this race we need to keep it up & do others. I told her I wasn't interested in doing this kind of race any where else (location is most of my motivation) However, at the running store last night they had info on a bunch of races & I found another 1/2 marathon I would love to do. It's in Maui!! Problem is it's the week after WDW.

Happy training , everyone keep up the good work.

Ooooooh... I just got a chance to check ou thte sweep points. WHile I do not want to ethink about being swept, just reading the points has me sooo excited. I cannot believe that I will be runnthrough WDW. Is it race day yet? No, I'm most certainly not ready for that and I think it will be a long 20 weeks, but now I'm getting more excited than nervous!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter