Week of Aug 7 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

Liz! CONGRATULATIONS!!! You ROCK, lady! I am sooo happy for you and so proud for you! I really admire your strength and determination and dedication to this effort. It must feel so great to have accomplished two major achievements in just a couple of weeks, first with your climb and now with starting and finishing the larger part of a 1/2 marathon! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I can't even imagine having done what you did such a short time after setting a goal. You have a lot of courage, my friend. Thank you for all you bring to the rest of us!

HUGE HUGS!
Cam

Speaking of training -- I have another one of those silly questions:

I am doing the "Walk the Half" MFM training plan, but it is set up for the 1/2 being on a Sunday instead of a Saturday. I still need my "long" days to be on Saturday or Sunday mornings, but am not sure what to do to adjust his training calendar.

If I were to move everything back a day, it would have my long walks on Fridays, which I can't commit to.

Alternatively, I can follow it to a "T" up to week 14 when I would do 30 minute walk on Monday, 30 minute cross training on Tuesday, rest on Wednesday, 30 minute walking and then form drills/strides on Thursday, rest on Friday and then skip the 20 minute walking day that would have been Saturday and instead do the 1/2.

Sorry if this doesn't make any sense. You would think I'd be able to figure this out, but just not sure what to do.

Also, since the start of this training program is still 8 weeks away, is there anything in particular that you all think I should be doing in the interim? I am trying to walk about 3 miles a day at least 2 times a week, do the elliptical and bike at least 2 times a week, and do a long walk (5-6 miles) one weekend day every weekend.

Thanks, everyone!

Keenercam -- I think you'd be fine doing the plan up till week 14 and then resting that last Friday and doing the 1/2 on Sat. By that time you will have completed all the hard training (the stuff that makes a difference in your performance) and that last 20 minute walk is just to keep you a little loose for race day. I think it's more important to do the program that way knowing you can commit to all your long walks rather than to mess with it too much and get yourself into a position where you have to miss walks b/c they're on days you can't commit to. JMHO.

Is anyone else getting nervous? I start "official" training on the 22nd. Not like I haven't been working hard to date, but you know, it's that date on the calendar. Anyway, I find myself getting a bit nervous about what the next 4 months have in store. Especially since we've now worked a family reunion vacation around these races, I'd hate not to finish as there will be lots of people there cheering me on. I don't want to fail or, worse, get hurt and not even be able to go. I'm trying not to get all worked up, but I find myself getting a bit nervous about what I've gotten myself into.

However, I have found a metaphor for the goofy challenge that makes me feel a bit better. I used to be a figure skater growing up and when I went to competitions you had the short program on the first day followed by the long program the next day. I just keep telling myself that the goofy challenge is no different: short program on Sat., long program on Sunday. I'm partitioning my brain though so it doesn't remind me that a short program was 2 and a half minutes and a long program was 4 minutes, whereas the half will probably be 2 and a half hours and the marathon will probably be five. See, that would destroy my metaphor.

Anyway, happy training all!!!

Liz-- Congratulations! You did a fantastic race. You got to meet The Penguin! And he believes in you! As do we. I'm so glad that shoe man didn't get the best of you. He better hope he never meets your WISH friends in a dark alley....

Susan-- I'm sorry your 2nd 5K didn't go as planned. That really stinks about the traffic. Don't let it get you down, everyone has a bad race now and then.

Bree & Christa-- You guys make the Marathon look like a walk in the park :rotfl2: Looks like you had a blast.

I did an easy run on the TM today. 5 miles in 51:30. My legs still don't feel quite right but at least this time wasn't painful. I go to the dr tomorrow to see if I get the "go ahead" to start running :p

Sunny

Calcio said:
Liz

Great work yesterday. You should be proud of your commitment, work, effort, and result.

I believe so much in effort in everything we do. It's so easy to not enter, not try, not reach for something we'd like to achieve. Too many people do just that and let life pass them by.

You, on the other hand, reached for it. So you didn't get all 13.1? I don't care. You did 9! Think about that, you did 9! What would your reaction have been in January if someone told you that on August 7 you would walk 9 miles?

Respect of ones peers is the most valuable commodity in the world, because it is not given easily, it must be earned. You Liz have earned my respect many times over.

No chance of seeing you at WDW on January 7 :teeth: ?

Craig

Thanks again for your kind thoughts and words! I have to tell you....and Lily will tell you these words DID come out of my mouth.....I was thinking all I need it Crag's posterior in front of me to get through this.....althought I saw MANY posteriors, there just wasn't a Craig posterior......I guess I am going to have to get to WDW on January for that one? :rolleyes: I am thinking I would be a very good water girl ya know! :goodvibes

Cam

I love your questions, never apologize.

As always, this is only my opinion, but the Sunday/Saturday race thing isn't an issue at all. Do the longer walks on saturday or sunday as you like, and follow the training plan as if the race is Sunday. Remember the last week or more is tapering and relaxing so you show up fresh and ready to go on race day. Taper as you think appropriate for a Saturday race.

Remember you cannot do anything to help your fitness during the last week, but you can mess up the race by doing too much during the last week. Do some light training and don't obsess about being lazy. You'll make up for it on Saturday, January 7.

Craig

Disneefun said:
Keenercam -- I think you'd be fine doing the plan up till week 14 and then resting that last Friday and doing the 1/2 on Sat. By that time you will have completed all the hard training (the stuff that makes a difference in your performance) and that last 20 minute walk is just to keep you a little loose for race day. I think it's more important to do the program that way knowing you can commit to all your long walks rather than to mess with it too much and get yourself into a position where you have to miss walks b/c they're on days you can't commit to. JMHO.

Calcio said:
As always, this is only my opinion, but the Sunday/Saturday race thing isn't an issue at all. Do the longer walks on saturday or sunday as you like, and follow the training plan as if the race is Sunday. Remember the last week or more is tapering and relaxing so you show up fresh and ready to go on race day. Taper as you think appropriate for a Saturday race.

Remember you cannot do anything to help your fitness during the last week, but you can mess up the race by doing too much during the last week. Do some light training and don't obsess about being lazy. You'll make up for it on Saturday, January 7.

Craig

Thanks for the advice, guys! So, that is what I will do -- follow the plan up to the last week.
I guess I will just keep on "training to train" for now until it is time to start the MFM 14 week program on 10/2. Since both the "walk the half" and "walk/run the half" plans are 14 weeks, as 10/2 approaches, I will determine whether there is any chance of adding some jogging to the mix. I have to tell you, though, I am really, really LOVING walking and was so encouraged Saturday to find that I could get my pace well below 15 without running. I think my speed is improving just by virtue of practice. So, I do have my confident moments! ;) I mean, who would have ever thought 7 months ago that I would be doing a 6+ mile walk? And enjoying it! Cool beans!!! :flower:

Thanks for the support!

keenercam said:
Thanks for the advice, guys! So, that is what I will do -- follow the plan up to the last week.
I guess I will just keep on "training to train" for now until it is time to start the MFM 14 week program on 10/2. Since both the "walk the half" and "walk/run the half" plans are 14 weeks, as 10/2 approaches, I will determine whether there is any chance of adding some jogging to the mix. I have to tell you, though, I am really, really LOVING walking and was so encouraged Saturday to find that I could get my pace well below 15 without running. I think my speed is improving just by virtue of practice. So, I do have my confident moments! ;) I mean, who would have ever thought 7 months ago that I would be doing a 6+ mile walk? And enjoying it! Cool beans!!! :flower:

Thanks for the support!

Cam! That is what it is ALL about!!! :goodvibes Keep up the great work!!! I am so happy to hear that you are able to get under a 15 minute mile. That is someting I have yet to acheive....but someday I may just be there with you!! Just keep getting out there and doing what you are doing. I don't think mixing up the days is what hurts you.... I have found that missing them completely is what does!! :rolleyes: Keep on keeping on! Can't wait to hear all about your race day too! It will be here before you know it!!!

:cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

Liz - You are going to to WDW, right????? Just a measly 4.1 more miles to go. (Yes, I know you rlife is chaotic and trianign time is hard to find, but this one's for the Donald!) ;)

Well, I did it!!! Add my name to the list. I'm officially entered in the half-marathon. I was going to wait a couple more days but then I was afraid I would get all excited about it & they would close registration. I just told my Mom about it (she was a runner back in the day) and is considering doing it too!

Liz-thanks for your story. You are right. I am just going to do it. I know I can, now all that has to be done is the training. Easy Breasy! :rotfl2:

There is no way I can fail. I have my own personal motivation, my DH is fully supportive, my Mom is thrilled and of course you guys.

2 mos. till my first 5K and I can't wait!

keenercam: You can repeat some of the weeks in the MFM training program if you want. I plan on doing my own thing for the next 2 weeks, then I'm going to start with week 1 & probably do weeks 1 & 2 more than once. I am going to make sure I don't get swept!

hello all

I am back after being gone too long. No need to bore you with the details but I had some medical issues that kept me completely out of the loop for about 3 months.

Needless to say, my training is in the toilet :(

I've been reading a lot of the older threads and saw several of you are using the Marathoning for Mortals plan.....has anyone used this plan to train for a half marathon before? It seems so simple and that scares me!

Liz - I really enjoyed your race report post. Being proud of yourself is well deserved! For now I'll have to give you a virtual "pat on the back". See you in January for the real one. GREAT JOB.

Sunny - Maybe you can send IC to deal with the "shoe guy" and she will leave you alone for a while!

Tiff, that's great! Yay! Now try and talk mom into registering too.

Congratulations Liz, I loved reading your report. So are you leaning toward the Donald??

Sunny, now that is a good girl, 5 nice easy 10 MINUTE MILES after surgery! Well, I guess that is easy for you. You go girl.

Cam, I agree with Craig, the Saturday/Sunday thing is a non-issue. Keep up the good work.

Colleen

princessmomma said:
Liz, could you tell me how to add the running Mickey in my signature?

Princessmomma -- I just noticed how adorable that Mickey is and added him to my signature. I went to User CP (upper left corner of your screen); clicked on edit signature; and put in the following text

{IMG]http://www.mickeysplace.hpg.ig.com.br/mickeycorrendo2.gif{/IMG]

Then replace the two { with [ and and click on save changes and you should be fine.

Let me know if you need more help

Hi WISH Team!

I got home after noon-ish today and DH took me to lunch. I have officially unpacked the car and my stuff. I am a bit tired from the ride home and the fun weekend!

I have read the thread and thank you teammates for your support and concerns. Liz, thanks for posting up the pics and your race story. I will give my rendition later. Right now I want to say that this was a great experience and I am grateful I could participate in this with Liz. Thank you to Liz and Greg for your hospitality. It really was good of you to open your home to me.

Congrats to Liz & Lilly - Liz, you rock, you were there, you started, that's all that counts. Such an inspiration. I love the medals.

Minnie - Hurry up & register!!! Time is running out!

Tiffj - Way to go, we'll see you there

Disneefun - I know what you mean, I got knots in my stomach everytime I sit & think about it too long

Happy training

Jodi

Yeh Liz, yeh Lily, well done both. And Liz, even you decide not to do the half on Jan 7 (but I think you'd do it you know, if you can do a sub 3hour 9 miles, I reckon we could get you to 13.1 in 3.30 in five months), then we still want to see you as official cheersquad leader - or water girl. It wont be the same without you. Helen

:cheer2: Liz :cheer2: Lilly!!!!! You are insparations to all of us! Liz your story got my tired rear off the couch and to the Y to get my 3 miles in. If you can do 9 miles now I have no doubt that you can do 13.1 in January!

By the way has anyone noticed just much longer the miles seem on the dreaded TM? I wasn't on it any longer but it felt like it was forever :rolleyes:

I still haven't managed to crack the 3 mile limit that I have somehow placed on myself. I can't really see registering for 13.1 miles when I'm stuck at 3. Oh well I'm going to keep training and if I get shut out of registering this year I have next year to consider.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter