• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Week of Oct 2 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

plutosmyfav said:
Is it too late to suggest that white might be a better color than yellow for the shirts? Just my 2cents!
As long as it's available from teh site I know of (and it is) or someone knows a place where I can get it, doesn't matter to me. I do like teh idea of a color that you can easily pick out of teh crowd, though.

Other thougths?

Lisa, I would love to have some of the nutrition info. It's not really my strong point :rolleyes:

You guys are making me a little nervous about the back to back long runs.
How many should you do before the race? I'm planning a slow wog for the Goofy. I am building my distance, but don't think I'll get up to doing more than a 16-17 long wog before the marathon. (I realize that is not ideal, but I'm gonna run out of time. ) That's why I plan to take it slow.

Any suggestions?

Terri

wtpclc said:
As long as it's available from teh site I know of (and it is) or someone knows a place where I can get it, doesn't matter to me. I do like teh idea of a color that you can easily pick out of teh crowd, though.

Other thougths?

I hadn't thought about standing out. That's a good point. I just never wear yellow! I guess I can warm up to the idea :goodvibes

Sunny, those pics are fabulous! You look great.

Terri, I don't know what to tell you there. I am nervous about the whole thing myself.

Mel sorry about the shoe issues. Makes me cringe a lot because I am going for shoes some time this month or beginning of next for sure.
:hyper:

plutosmyfav said:
I hadn't thought about standing out. That's a good point. I just never wear yellow! I guess I can warm up to the idea :goodvibes
Maybe it's because I wore orange running in hs. I never thought about wearing a color that looked good on me while running! lol!

Did anyone get the WDW marathon email?? Clif Shots is offering pacing groups for marathoners this year! Has anyone run with a pacer before?? You can sign up for the one with your goal time--I'm just wondering how you handle bathroom breaks when running with a pace group--do you go and try to catch up??

Did my 5m yesterday--last 1/2 m was rough but I made it. Today I have 4 m and then am "off" from running till Sunday. Will be a nice break for the legs!

My son, nieces & dad are doing the 5k. Since is starts and ends in Epcot do the rest of us have to have tickets if we want to get in & watch them? If the runners dont have tickets do they just kick them out after the race or what?

It's getting closer & closer. Time to start hammering out the details!!

Chimera--it took me 3 pairs of shoes in 3 weeks to find a suitable pair. However, I have a lovely running shop that tells you to just bring them back if they don't work out. I feel so bad doing it. But that courtesy has allowed me to settle on a nice pair of New Balance sneakers. They were the ones I had in the spring, only a wider pair. I hated the ones I had--and we discovered, it's because I had the standard width. Now I love them.

Hubby forwarded me the marathon e-mail (I don't get graced with them until Team in Training submits my paperwork)...

There are 29,000 between the two events registered---and I am not sure if that counts the charity allocated spots or not.

But it indeed looks like roughly a similar sized crowd (if not more :() as last year even though the event was split across two days. So prepare for that crowd---go running through the mall on Black Friday ;) ;).

Nutrition info coming--I hope it is in my car as it isn't in my house. Things that make you go hmmmmm.....

I am almost finished typing of the nutrition information.

We are on our way out to a fire station for a field trip...so I will finish and post this when I get back, both on this thread and on the FAQ.

Also--if you are interested in perhaps a scanned copy of these handouts--You can PM me your e-mail address. I'm only typing a cliff's notes verson of what I have, but if you are into more detail, I can send it your way.

Lisa loves Pooh said:
Nutrition info coming--I hope it is in my car as it isn't in my house. Things that make you go hmmmmm.....

Lisa -- Check the shelf with your Bibles! :teeth:

Sunny -- you look awesome! I am always red and icky and sweaty. Not sure I WANT a picture of me at the finish! ;)

ETA: Well, after the stupid human trick I did Tuesday of doing ab crunches as part of my cross training, my back is a bit recovered today. I did the MFMWTH 30 minute walk and then form/stride drills. At one point I was "walking" at 14:04, though I definitely could not sustain that.

So, I was thinking :earseek: -- Did you ever have one of those walks/jogs/runs where everything comes together perfectly? Your shoes are perfectly laced so that your foot doesn't slide and your toes aren't crunched and the top of your foot doesn't tingle; your socks are perfectly positioned so the seam doesn't rub your little toe; your undergarments are properly fitted so that you are comfy and secure as you move quickly :cool1: ; there are no swarms of gnats that want to explore that warm-and-wet opening you need to breathe through. . . . You know what I mean -- a non-stonker?! Well . . . . this morning was NOT one of those for me! :rotfl2: ICK! I am thinking "protein intake" during a wog is NOT quite what I wanted this morning. :rotfl:

WISHing all of you great walks/runs today!

keenercam said:
. . . You know what I mean -- a non-stonker?! Well . . . . this morning was NOT one of those for me! :rotfl2: ICK! I am thinking "protein intake" during a wog is NOT quite what I wanted this morning. :rotfl:
Yes, I know what you mean. No, I haven't had one of those this week. I think this week has had more stonkers than any I have seen before! Hang in there everyone! We flip-flopped our tempo day and our rest day. Yesterday should have been teh last hot humid day of the year. Today is about 20 degrees cooler. After Monday, I need all the help I can get for Tempo.

Terri-- :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: That's all I can say for your victory ;)

Carrie-- thanks for the "stealth" update on Solo's misadventure. TG no one was killed.

Bree-- I can relate! I have been eating as if I run ultras :confused3 Its got to stop NOW!!!!! I don't want to lug one extra ounce over that finish line :rotfl:

Cam-- I think running is alot like gambling. Because those "perfect" runs do exist and present themselves unpredictably ever so often we just keep coming back for more, constantly hoping for one of those "jackpots" :p Sorry you didn't have one, but you will!

As for shirt color. The other thing to consider about the color is if we go with yellow, lime green ink probably wouldn't work well. If we went with white, we could make our logo, and lettering in lime green? I'm still brainstorming :)

I'm late on the whole rest discussion but my strategy is to do upperbody weights and rowing on Fridays (my LR is on Saturdays). I do lowerbody weights on Tuesdays and sometimes a second time on Thursdays. It definitely affects my Wednesday runs. I usually only have one true rest day per week, but Fridays is a "lower body" rest day, so my legs get two rest days per week.

TEK224 said:
You guys are making me a little nervous about the back to back long runs.
How many should you do before the race? I'm planning a slow wog for the Goofy. I am building my distance, but don't think I'll get up to doing more than a 16-17 long wog before the marathon. (I realize that is not ideal, but I'm gonna run out of time. ) That's why I plan to take it slow.
Any suggestions?
Terri

Terri - If you go to tricharlotte.com, and click on marathon training, that is what Bree, DH and I are doing for the Goofy training. We do the shorter LRs @ a slower pace then start SLOW for the long LRs. If you want more info, you can click on the email on this web page and ask Ron. He knows everything! :love: If you can, try to get to at least 18 miles on your WOGs. It may make the last part of the marathon less hard. 20 would be better, but I understand the time thing.

Sunny - YOU LOOK HOT! (Not as in temp, but as in GREAT!) :cheer2: If I ever hear you say otherwise, I am going to give you a toung lashing over the computer. :teeth: I always look so bad in these pictures! You look so good that you need to just kick anyone that ever questions you running a marathon! :rotfl2:

The shirt info - My opinion is to go with something bright. I had on white last year and Bree had on purple. It was hard for scream teamers to locate us b/c the ones who are not TNT and wearing purple are wearing white. Yellow is not my 1st choice, but I bet we would stand out!

Did my short LR today on the TM, 7 miles at a slow pace! It felt good. Even with the warm up, I finished in 70 min (TM was on a 6 - 6.5). This was my goal. Bree and I will do 14 tomorrow. It is raining now so send your :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: to us so we don't have to do 14 in the rain. B/c we will if we have to! :rolleyes:
Took DDs swiming yesterday, but did not do much b/c of the LRs. Trying to be good! :rolleyes1 The kid's marathon kicks off Saturday and DDs are so excited! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc I am glad they share the :love: of running!

Later,
Christa

Heeeeyyyyy looks like I'm posting right after the Evil Queen today :teeth:

Ok, so I get up this morning @ 4:45am, stumble to the kitchen (do you hear Dolly Parton singing?) to make coffee, and hear this noise out side. What? Could it be raining? NOOOO surely not. I flip the back porch light on and yes folks it is in fact raining, and not a slight drizzle, it's a heavy downpour. So I start contemplating meeting Christa at the gym to run 7 on the TM then thought well I'd better call DFIL (who's graciously offered to meet me at this un-godly hour to run) to tell him it's raining. His answer? "Well looks like we're gonna get wet." WAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! So I stomp into the bedroom (my DH appreciated that, but I am every bit the drama queen) grab a hat and head out the door. Who's idea was it to do this stupid goofy race anyway? Oh yeah :rolleyes: it was me. DFIL said I didn't look very "disney" when I showed up. Yeah well.........whatever. That's the only come back I can come up with at 5:45am. It rained the ENTIRE time we were out there, I mean it didn't let up once. Glad I thought ahead to wear an old pair of shoes. Got to save the newer ones for getting wet tomorrow. :umbrella:

So I ran 7 in 1:10 exactly. Not too shabby for being waterlogged. AND it's done, so now onto 14 tomorrow.

aladdinsgirl said:
Bree--When are you going to be in WDW? Stephen and I will be there Oct. 22-30 (in just 17 days!!!! :hourglass ), maybe we can meet up if you're there then. Krista princess:

Krista - we will be in WDW Oct. 30 - Nov. 4. Just 24 days!! :hourglass Are you leaving on the 30th? We anticipate getting there early afternoon. MGM has evening EMH that day and I'd like to go.

Cam - sorry about your stonker day. Everyone must have at least one before race day, so now yours is done, and you can have great runs from now on out :)

Talk to ya'll soon :wave2:
~bree

Hi everyone!

Last night was rest night (not that I really needed one with all the resting I've been doing lately :rolleyes: ) but after reading all the posts about resting I sure didn't want to set myself up to get hurt again.

Bree - It was raining so hard here last night that I was very thankful that it was a rest day :rotfl: . I used to look at the people running in the rain and laugh now I got a feeling I'll be one of them :teeth:

Sunny - Fabulous picture!

The temp has dropped 35 degrees from yesterday with a high today of only 58 degrees :cold: so no coolmax for me tonight :rotfl2: It will likely be yoga pants because I don't have any outdoor cool running wear as I used to be a TM or couch potato girl. This new challenged has changed my outlook in more ways than one.

I can't imagine wearing those tight running pants outside my own home so what do you all wear in the fall when it is to warm for sweats and too cool for shorts? I liked the long underwear idea for winter running but what about this season?

Great training day everyone!

Bree -- what a funny story! Here I thought you were going to be unhappy about having to use the TM beyond the boredom point -- so nice of your DFIL to be sure you weren't bored! "UnDisney!" I love that!!!! :rotfl: I am so glad I got my stonker out of the way this early on in my 14 week training program! Now if someone would just tell my body, my shoelaces, my socks, my too-big undergarments, and the gnats that I have met my quota, thank you very much!

Minnie -- I am wearing lined wind pants. They were very comfy in the chilly morning air, but I was sweating by the time I was done. I may go for yoga pants and an oversized long sleeve tee shirt for the warmer cool mornings for a while. Once you get moving, you may find that you'll wish you weren't dressed too warmly.

Minnie said:
I can't imagine wearing those tight running pants outside my own home so what do you all wear in the fall when it is to warm for sweats and too cool for shorts? I liked the long underwear idea for winter running but what about this season?

Great training day everyone!
I usually throw a pair of shorts over my running tights. Lookslike I'll be diong wind suits pretty soon 'roun here though!

Here's another logo idea. This one is "set" on yellow as it would be on the shirt.

I didn't know if we are allowed to use the mickey head (Disney's pretty touchy about their stuff). Are we?

wishLOGO4.jpg

I would think as long as we are not selling the logo for a profit that we'd be ok, but I'm no attorney.

Here's a varation with blue bold print instead.

wishLOGO5.jpg

If we want to go with this style I can tweak the mickey head, type, etc.

Does anyone else want to offer a logo? I don't assume I have the corner on the market ;) !!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter