• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Week of Oct 9 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

Hi everyone!! :wave2:

Sounds lke everyone is doing wonderfully so far this week!

Tiff- Awesome!! Way to go!! That's a wonderful pace.

Colleen- Great job on the 5K!! Sounds like you had a really good race!

wfloyd- Thank you SO much for that info. I had written to the race folks about the 2007 races and you beat them to it!! I'm guessing with keeping the split day format and the popularity of the Goofy that they will be offering it next year as well. I'm thinking that might be my next challenge!

I did my MFM 44 min (3run/1walk) yesterday evening and ended up going 5.08 miles so I averaged an 8:40/mile pace :earseek: !! I must say that the weather was perfect and I pushed it a little here and there, but I am VERY happy with that. I get to go 40 min ( 3/1 ) today. Hopeing to get that in around lunch time.

Happy training everyone!

Solotraveler :earsboy:

Melissa-- Congratulations on fulfilling your dream to do 100! That is so exciting! And, yes, DD is beautiful to watch (she doesn't look athletic or graceful until you put a flag in her hands and an audience in front of her, but then -- WOW!).

TiffJ -- Thanks for the heads-up on WATP 3 miles -- I will definitely put that on my cross training schedule when I am supposed to do that many minutes. I think this week I will have to check to see which one I have that will take 30 minutes. It is so weird to "restrain" myself to 30 minutes! :confused3

Mel -- Ahhh, now I remember! Okay, so the difference is you are doing a run component, too. I am still following the walk program, but jog every once in a while just to keep the pace up. Am hoping to find someone to wog the 1/2 with who will be willing to do the same. BTW, we LOVED BLAST! Since I marched drum corps as a teen, I wanted DH to see Blast! Then, I think he "got it" because he suggested taking the kids to see it. The other morning, I used that DVD to keep me motivated through some exercises! :teeth:

DisneyBelle-- Congratulations on your awesome finish in the 1/2 in Philadelphia! :thewave: You obviously have this down pat! Now you can concentrate on maintaining for the next 13 weeks, right!?

Colleen -- great time on your 5K! I hope your sister hit her qualifying time!

Sunny -- that time sounds pretty darn great to me, especially without tunes! The fact that you went out and stuck it out in the rain is impressive enough! :hug:

Nancy -- I am with you on the short legs thing, and until Lisa provided some advice last week, I had been stretching to get a longer stride instead of more steps. We'll have to try that and see how it goes. So glad you have advanced to the organizing stage -- the boxes everywhere stage is very disconcerting, isn't it?! :teeth:

helen -- your naked woman scenario had me :rotfl: I just don't get it. And at my gym, the moms are all walking around the locker room naked with their kids and I am so modest that I can't even imagine!

wfloyd -- thanks for the information for 2007 -- that is great for me to know. I put the registration opening date on my calendar! :)

Hi, Felicia -- Welcome aboard!

Sara -- I am blown away! The fact that people are doing halfs and fulls now is just mind-boggling. Congratulations! :thewave:

Thanks to everyone for your good wishes on DD's SATs -- I am still praying!

Hopy cow. I'm going to have to tell our families that we can't be gone on teh weekend anymore, as I just can't keep up with the marathon thread after a weekend away! :teeth:

Only had to do 6 on Sat. I was going to take it easy, as my legs have not felt great lately and the top of my left foot hurt and.....

I guess something in me's chagned, because that easy pace was a 10:36. Oh my. 10-miler next week. I'll be away again adn my home town is VERY hilly. (ALthough, I still did ok with the 6 there.)

As for the weekend, well, I went to the U of M game. Not a pretty thing. Of course, sports finatics will tell me that it was a good game because it was soo close. I prefer blow outs. And, any time my team loses, it is NOT a good game. I'll try better next week, but Penn State is coming off of a BIG win. Not looking good for teh home team. :rolleyes:

Shirts - bolded so that you know mty rambling has stopped - Thanks to Heather for the research! I skimmed through teh site she found a little too quickly and did not see that they did printing or missed something the first time. It sounds like we're good to go on lime green. let me know if I misunderstood!

To quote DD's old Winnie the Pooh board book, "It rained, and it rained, and it rained." The weather has not been kind to my training schedule. I put off my Friday LR until Sat, hoping it would clear up. It didn't, so I tried to do it on the TM. Well, my 7 mile goal ended up being 3 miles, with some wicked side cramps. I think I am running too soon after eating. I waited about 2 hours, but I think I need more digestion time to avoid those cramps. So I am going to attempt my 7 miles once again today, on the TM again because -- surprise -- it is raining. What I wouldn't give for a cool, crisp, New England-type fall day! Once the winter weather kicks in I will be much more appreciative of the Carolina weather, I am sure. :cold: Wish me luck!
--Leigh Ann

Just poppin' in....these are the names I do not have confirmed for Trail's End. Please PM me or post on the dinner thread if you are still planning on joining us. :)

Boolou (2)
Goofyshell (2)
Plutosmyfav (3)
Stitch_lover_Sith (3)
Xterratri (3) DDE Discount Card
Zoegirl (3)
TammyNC (4)
Tiger Lily 03 (4)
Wiskband (5)
Goodcook5 (12)

It sounds like the weather has delayed many of our traning plans. A big :cheer2: to those big :dog: out there that run in the rain but I'm not up to that point yet. Sat and Sun was raining and cold (dropped 30 degrees) and I didn't want to do the TM so I put my lr off until today and it is a beauty out there today. I can't wait to get out there tonight!

Hi all1 fell of the wagon for a while, but I am back and OP!
just made my ressies for january and it got me back in the spirit of losing weight and training for 06!

BTW............got a great rate of 63 a night at pop thats with a AAA discount.
now that my kids are bigger we need two room so its still pretty afordable.
anywho, I will be dusting of the old treadmill this evening as well as going to curves. Ill be on this thread from now on faithfully! your all an inspiration.
talk to you all soon.

renee

Renee - Good to see you again! I think I've been off the wagon food wise fro over a year. Thank fully, I think ;),DH won't let me fall off the wagon exercise wise! I'll be at POP Friday night too! (Gotta' love that AAA rate!)

Hi everyone! :flower: Here are my race reports. I honestly have a horrible memory, so I can't give you a step by step account... :blush: Here are a few of the more memorable details, though.

DH and I did the Komen 5K on Saturday through Animal Kingdom. It was sooo neat when we pulled into the parking lot. It was still dark, but they had huge spot lights shining up behind Mt. Everest, and it was rather foggy - such an awesome sight! :goodvibes There were close to 5000 registered - there was a 5K fun walk/run (you could choose to be chip-timed) and a 1 mile walk. And they raised over a million dollars for breast cancer research - YEA!!! It was just so amazing to me to see all the pink shirts on the survivors - there are so many women of all ages (some looked to be in their 20's...), as well as male survivors. So inspiring! The race itself was great! We were backstage more than I thought we would be from the map, but it was still neat! The monkeys were out swinging, and we went past some of the pens in the back, cheered on by the animals making all sorts of noise! The heat was another story, though.... :faint: I did take it easy - I was a little nervous about Sunday's race, so I didn't want to push too much on Saturday. I also had never done training runs on back-to-back days, much less races.... So, I think I finished in a little over 40 minutes - official pace was 13:10.

Sunday, DH and I did the Disney Race for the Taste 10K. EPCOT was celebrating the 10th anniversary of the Food and Wine Festival, so they combined the race with that. Instead of shirts, we got aprons - too cute! It was basically the last 6 miles of the marathon route. The race started at Wide World, went through MGM, Boardwalk, EPCOT World Showcase, out past Spaceship Earth, and finished in EPCOT parking lot. We spent quite a bit of time in MGM - we ran on the track for Lights, Motors, Action - they had a camera on us as we ran by, and were showing us on the big screen there. There was noone around me at that point, so I stayed on the big screen for a while... :blush: EPCOT WS was awesome as usual. I knew I was far enough ahead of the sweepers, so I took my time and enjoyed the empty park. At the finish, DH was already done, so he found me and ran with me to the finish - that was too sweet!!!! :love2: Along the way, we were told we would have three water stops. They also had food, though! :teeth: The first stop had Cabot cheese (didn't eat this - I knew better...) The second stop had Ghirardelli chocolate squares - definitely needed this!!!! It was too funny to watch all the runners juggle a water cup and try to open the chocolate wrapper, eat it, and not spill everything in the process! :rotfl: The last stop had Goodings baked goods - muffins, danishes, and bagels. Yummy!!! After the races, they had the usual breads/muffins/bagels, drinks, fruit, etc. But they also had three tents set up with samples from the F&W. The American booth had BBQ beef and cornbread, another one had periogies, and the third (India??) was a turnover with curried vegetables - not my fav. The food was great, but probably not the best idea to eat heavy foods after running a 10K... :sick: Anyway, I finished around an hour and 25 minutes, with an official pace of 13:50. Not great, but not bad for taking the whole summer off... :blush:

All in all, we had a great time! My parents went with us to watch DS. They had a blast - plus it was my dad's birthday! We stayed in Carribean Beach, which was awesome!!!! Today I am taking it easy - my legs are sooooo sore!!! I may go out for a walk later in the evening, but won't try to run until tomorrow or Wednesday.

Hope everyone is doing well! Sorry to hear about all the rain, but I'm a bit jealous of the cooler temps! Happy training to everyone!

Crzy4pooh- Great race reports!! Congrats on the wonderful pace, too!!! You must be really excited for January now!!

Solotraveler :earsboy:

solotraveler said:
I did my MFM 44 min (3run/1walk) yesterday evening and ended up going 5.08 miles so I averaged an 8:40/mile pace :earseek: !! I must say that the weather was perfect and I pushed it a little here and there, but I am VERY happy with that.
Solo - GREAT TIME! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: for you.

crzy4pooh - Loved your race report! Sounds like you had a blast. :Pinkbounc

Renne - Welcome back. It is GREAT to have all the support of this board. Glad you came back.

Colleen - Great 5k. I know you are happy about it. :banana: How did your sister do?

OK, I went to the YMCA today and ran 4 miles in 36 minutes (the TM KILLS me). Then I went to swim for an hour. I just love swimming. It feels so good to float. :cloud9: I think I have figured out the breathing. I know this is a running thread, but if anyone has advice about swimming, send it my way. Yes I saw totally nude woman walking around the locker room. :scared1: One woman was taking a shower with the curtain opened. :earseek: What is up with that? :confused3 Oh well....
Raining here today too. Rained all weekend, but I don't even think about not doing a LR b/ of :umbrella:. I guess that is why Bree calls me the Evil Queen of running.

Gotta run now (HaHa)
Christa

Cam- with my tapes it's the 2 mile that is 30 min long. I know it feels weird to do that for xt when I know I can do more. But the book does call xt days "active rest days"

I have the exercise stuff down, now I just need to get back on the eating healthy program. At least with all this walking I havent gained any but this weekend I realized I had 13 weeks to get myself into the best shape of my life. I couldnt have done this event when I was 17 & 135 lbs. I think that realization is going to help me get back OP.

Luckily the weather has cooperated here so far. I am not nearly dedicated(or some would call it psycho) enough to go 6 miles in the rain. I dont go to the mail box if its raining :umbrella:

I can't wait till January :cheer2:

gatorphipps said:
I don't even think about not doing a LR b/ of :umbrella:. I guess that is why Bree calls me the Evil Queen of running.
And I think I married the Evil King! I need that, though. (Just don't tell him I admitted that!)

Problems with the heat today. Planned to walk and try out Lisa's suggestion of 70 steps/min on my walk but after getting dizzy while transplanting some sod in the yard I don't think so about the walking. I will be walking tomorrow, but it will be with DH and some friends so I don't know if I will be able to concentrate on steps amid the conversation. We will get some distance in but I'm not sure yet how far they want to go. They all walk a lot faster than me and that in itself always helps my pace. I'll try the step counting on a solo walk later this week and see how I do.

crzy4pooh, loved your race report. I thought about doing the 5K but was not able to fit it into my schedule. I think 2007 is going to be my year for races. Wonder if I saw you on any of the TV news clips. It really looked like fun!

Finally got Friday's long run in today. 7 miles (run 9 mins /walk 1) at a 10:23 pace. I am very content with that. I'm just glad to have it done. :cool1:
Now I have to get on the ball because my next LR is 8 miles this Friday. Gosh, that is soon!

gatorphipps said:
Colleen - Great 5k. I know you are happy about it. :banana: How did your sister do?

Christa

Thanks Christa. This was the first time I ran with my MP3 player, I have to admit, it really motivated me. This was my best 5k time by over a minute.

Unfortunately, I sister didn't make her qualifying time. I haven't spoken to her yet. I know she will be upset she worked so hard. Her husband qualified and they wanted to run together. This was her third marathon and although her training runs were considerably faster than other years, this was her slowest marathon.

I have really been giving this racing thing a lot of thought, 20+ weeks of training for one day. I need to put more time into enjoying the journey. Don't get me wrong, I am really proud that I am doing this for myself. I wonder what could affect "that one day" ...too hot, too cold, rain, sickness, injury, etc., etc. I hope I stay healthy and I can see this goal through to the end. I think of Lisa and her illness last year, that is amazing that she even attempted the race, let alone finish. Lisa, your story was very inspiring as are all the stories here. One thing I definitely know, I am glad I am here! :grouphug:

Colleen

Coleen - sorry about your sister's disappointment. I like your comments about enjoying the journey. I have come to feel this way about the races in which I have participated. I think I am so much happier in the race if I just enjoy it by taking in the course, talking to fellow racers and taking time to smile. That is pretty much the only healthy way for me to race, becuase even if I completely push it out, my time is not going to be that much different and I don't set any speed records anyway!!!!! :) :)

Im glad this thread is part of the journey!!!

princessmomma said:
I have really been giving this racing thing a lot of thought, 20+ weeks of training for one day. I need to put more time into enjoying the journey. Don't get me wrong, I am really proud that I am doing this for myself. I wonder what could affect "that one day" ...too hot, too cold, rain, sickness, injury, etc., etc. I hope I stay healthy and I can see this goal through to the end. I think of Lisa and her illness last year, that is amazing that she even attempted the race, let alone finish. Lisa, your story was very inspiring as are all the stories here. One thing I definitely know, I am glad I am here! :grouphug:
Colleen - So sorry to hear that about your sis. To answer your questions about
I wonder what could affect "that one day"
There are so many things. Our coach calls a marathon day "serendipity". The day holds so many wonders, joys, disappointments, and pain. It is something different for everyone. You just run the best you can under the circumstances you are given, b/c you don't always get to choose them. My mother told me this when I ran my 1st WDW marathon. My FIL had a stroke the night b/4 we flew out and was in bad condition. DH wanted me to run the race, so we flew to WDW Saturday afternoon, I ran Sunday, then we flew back as soon as I was finished. My mom called to wish me luck and I told her I wish I was running under different circumstances. That is when she told me this. It is true in Marathons and in life. At least in marathons, though, you know where the end is.
Sorry I got so deep, but running is more than a physical thing. It is spiritual too. It pushes you where you never thought you could go, and humbles you when you get to proud. Serendipity!

Christa

I think the journey can be more important than the end result. You discover a lot about yourself on those early morning work-outs (when you'd rather roll over and pull up the covers); the feeling you get when you feel like cutting a run short, but stick it out to the end, etc.

I want to be able to finish the Goofy before the sweepers, but still be able to enjoy the rest of the days (without being "gotta go to bed" exhausted).

A quick question though about our "journey": During the races, when going through the parks I've heard that you can stop and take a photo with the characters. Is this true? That would definitely help me enjoy the race and probably give me a boost when I need it.

Terri

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter