Welcome, Foolish Muggles! IoA/US/MK/SW July 2011* Top Ten "Things" *

Thank you, everyone!!!

They are too cute!!! Everyone I know that has two kittties says that's the way to go, and how could you separate them? Best of luck on the new additions to the family!:goodvibes

I'm so glad we got both! They played together all day yesterday. So playful and full of energy!

They have just started to pay a little bit of attention to us.

oh too cute, i miss having cats in the house - we're down to one and she completely refuses to come in the house :sad2: - even when there's a foot of snow outside :scared1:

How old is your cat? Wow, she sounds pretty hardy.

We are trying to keep these kittens indoors. We have a lot of ticks in the area, and there are lots of wild critters around. I have seen coyotes in our yard.

Aww, they're so adorable! :) I'm such a cat lover.

Thanks! I am drawn to the independent nature and aloofness of cats! I love their "I don't need YOU" attitude, right before they meow for some food. Kind of like teenagers. :rotfl:

When we left off, we had just been left off at the airport after an aggravating wait and silent ride. We found seats in our gate area and watched the storm rage through the windows.

Unfortunately, this was not one of those typical Florida thunderstorms that comes through quickly, dumps a ton of rain, and gives a brief display of lightning and roar of thunder. This one lingered. For more than two hours.

We watched everyone around us as their flights were delayed, tempers started flaring and the gate area got more and more crowded with arriving travelers, but no departures.

We watched the departure board, and saw that our 6:10 flight had been delayed until 7:30.

Since we had a fairly large lunch, I don’t think we had anything to eat at the airport, but we got a couple of sandwiches and some drinks from the grab and go to take onto the plane with us.

As advertised, we did board our plane around 7:30. And we sat. And waited. And waited.

IMG_6791.jpg

About every 20 minutes, the pilot’s voice would come over the loud speaker and announce that we were experiencing a fueling delay. Apparently, an outside contractor handles all of the aircraft refueling for the Orlando airport. They won’t gas up any planes while there is lightning within a certain number of miles from the airport (understandable), so consequently, even though the lightning had stopped we were delayed while we waited for countless planes to receive their fuel.

I contacted the livery company that would be picking us up at the airport- they were able to arrange for a later pickup, but there would be an additional late-night surcharge.

Finally, at 9:30 (5 ½ hours after arriving at the airport and 2 hours after boarding our plane) we lifted off.

Our 3 hour flight was uneventful. Ben, fortunately, slept through most of it. Nate slept through some of it. Mark and I both read. Although I had been awake since about 5 that morning, I just can’t sleep on a plane.

We arrived in Boston a little after midnight. We were home sometime around 1:30 in the morning. It goes without saying that it was a looonnnngggg day!

Not the best ending to our trip, but nevertheless, we really had a fantastic time!

Thanks for coming along and sharing our adventures!

Next up: Top Ten “Things”- Tips for Universal Newbies

Cute kittens!

I haven't decided if it's better to be sitting on the plane and waiting or at a crowded terminal with hundreds of grumpy people just wanting to get where they need to be going.

Looking forward to reading your tips!

Really enjoyed reading about your trip. Thanks!

Thank you so much!!! Thank you for reading along!

Cute kittens!

I haven't decided if it's better to be sitting on the plane and waiting or at a crowded terminal with hundreds of grumpy people just wanting to get where they need to be going.

Looking forward to reading your tips!

Monster Energy Cat (male) is a sweet snugglebug who purrs like crazy and will fall asleep on your lap as you pet him. Oreo (female), on the other hand, is full of energy and is going to be trouble. She is beautiful, playful and curious and she is not as interested in us as her brother is.

I think it was actually better to be on the plane. Tempers around us were definitely flaring. I am short and don't require much leg room, so I was comfortable enough.

I'll try to get the tips up in a day or two.

love this trip report!!!!

Thank you so much!!! You must be getting very excited about your trip!!!

YES! Super excited! We are doing 3 nights at the Hard Rock Followed by a week at the beach club.

After I got home from dinner last night I spent the rest of my night reading your trip report! It's great! I really enjoyed my evening getting to spend time with your family ;)

YES! Super excited! We are doing 3 nights at the Hard Rock Followed by a week at the beach club.

After I got home from dinner last night I spent the rest of my night reading your trip report! It's great! I really enjoyed my evening getting to spend time with your family ;)

That's so nice!!! Thank you!

That is a dream line-up! I think we would really like the Hard Rock (you are gonna love the Express and Early Entry) and as you know, I :love: the Beach Club!

Have a fantastic trip!!!

Dee

That's so nice!!! Thank you!

That is a dream line-up! I think we would really like the Hard Rock (you are gonna love the Express and Early Entry) and as you know, I :love: the Beach Club!

Have a fantastic trip!!!

Dee

This is my first time staying on universal property. It sounds crazy we are actually hoping to relax and have some pool time at universal (which we never seem to have at disneyworld) but hopefully due to the express it will be a different vacation this go around instead of running from ride to ride to ride.

I had such a hard time deciding between Portofino or the hard rock myself. I kept going back and forth back and forth. And finally my husband (who is not a huge disney fan) finally was like i want to stay at the hard rock. So since he is coming along with me on this trip..the hard rock it is! I hope we like it your portofino pics were making me have doubts lol.

This is my first time staying on universal property. It sounds crazy we are actually hoping to relax and have some pool time at universal (which we never seem to have at disneyworld) but hopefully due to the express it will be a different vacation this go around instead of running from ride to ride to ride.

I had such a hard time deciding between Portofino or the hard rock myself. I kept going back and forth back and forth. And finally my husband (who is not a huge disney fan) finally was like i want to stay at the hard rock. So since he is coming along with me on this trip..the hard rock it is! I hope we like it your portofino pics were making me have doubts lol.

With 3 nights at the Hard Rock, you should have no trouble getting some pool time in. We also find it very hard to fit in pool time during Disney trips. But as you suspect, having the Express will make it much simpler. Even the day we hit 4 parks (Sea World, Islands of Adventure, Universal and Islands of Adventure again), we were able to go to the pool in the afternoon for about an hour.

This was our first time too, so we were nervous. I love the Disney commando touring, but Universal/IoA was not like that. You don't need as much "strategy" as you do in the Disney parks.

Next up: Top Ten “Things”- Tips for Universal Newbies
Another great update! My DW and I are heading for Universal this Wednesday. Any chance your Top Ten "Things:- Tips for Universal Newbies will be out by then?

Plus I really like how you try to compare the Universal rides with those at Disney. They gave me a much better idea of what to expect at Universal!

Another great update! My DW and I are heading for Universal this Wednesday. Any chance your Top Ten "Things:- Tips for Universal Newbies will be out by then?

Plus I really like how you try to compare the Universal rides with those at Disney. They gave me a much better idea of what to expect at Universal!

Thank you!!!

I have the draft form of the TTT, so if I don't post it by Tuesday morning, I'll PM it to you.

I can't wait to read your tips!!!

And I love your new kitties! My son has severe pet allergies which bums. me. out. I grew up in a house full of animals (especially cats!!) and it's soooo weird not to have any pets :mad:

I can't wait to read your tips!!!

And I love your new kitties! My son has severe pet allergies which bums. me. out. I grew up in a house full of animals (especially cats!!) and it's soooo weird not to have any pets :mad:

Coming right up!

Sorry to hear that your son has such bad allergies to pets. I'm sure that is tough on all of you.

How old is your cat? Wow, she sounds pretty hardy.

We are trying to keep these kittens indoors. We have a lot of ticks in the area, and there are lots of wild critters around. I have seen coyotes in our yard.

:

She's coming up for 11 - we put a sheepskin in a kennel for her to try and snuggle in :goodvibes

There are people here that think there is at least one coyote on the island, hopefully there's not more. Ticks, more than i can shake a stick at, at least the wild turkeys eat them, I knew there had to be a plus to those darn turkeys :lmao:

scan0001.jpg
scan0002.jpg

And some assorted additional tidbits for Universal Newbies:

Places to check for discount tickets before you go: AAA, Undercover Tourist (Mousesavers), Costco, Theme park websites online (Sea World)

Bonine- we found this was a good, non drowsy way to combat motion sickness.

All About Transportation (MCO to US Resorts/ Disney to Universal): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2494908

Ollivander's is the show, the Owl Post is the wand shop. You can access the Owl Post via Dervish & Banges, which can have a line to enter but according to posters on the DIS, they have never seen this line longer than a 10-minute wait.

Making the Most of Hogwarts Castle and Forbidden Journey:

Try to use the regular queue for Forbidden Journey at least once- you will see all of the parts of the castle that way. Early in the morning would be best for this.

Then you can use the Single Rider Line to ride Forbidden Journey quickly. If you have children, parents can "sandwich" them. Adult first, then kids, then another Adult, so someone will be waiting for them at the exit. I believe the entrance to the SRL is across from the locker entrance, but just ask a Team Member to direct you.

To explore the castle at your own pace, you can use the Castle Tour line. You see almost everything, but to see the Sorting Hat, you need to go in the regular Forbidden Journey line.

Beverages in Hogsmeade:

You won't find soda in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter (per orders of J.K. Rowling)

There are some other interesting beverages though:

Butterbeer, of course. We prefer the frozen.

Pumpkin Juice, on draft or in a souvenir bottle. We prefer the draft.

We had the apple cider but we did not try the pear cider. Didn't know they had it until after our trip!

* Important Note: You can use your AAA card for a discount on drinks in the Hogs Head Inn or The 3 Broomsticks, but not at the carts. You will probably encounter a shorter wait at the Hogs Head than you will at the carts *

Many THANKS for the great tips! I'll be putting them to good use in less than 48 hours! :woohoo:

Also thanks for the tip on the alternate entrance to The Owl Post. I won't be buying any wands but sure do want to take a gander at them. My DW taught 4th grade and got me to read all the Potter books and see the movies. Seeing the WWOHP is the main reason we're going to Universal. After Universal we'll be spending a week at Disney.

Loved, loved, loved your trip report! :love: Thank you for sharing so much great info and ideas with us!

Many THANKS for the great tips! I'll be putting them to good use in less than 48 hours! :woohoo:

Also thanks for the tip on the alternate entrance to The Owl Post. I won't be buying any wands but sure do want to take a gander at them. My DW taught 4th grade and got me to read all the Potter books and see the movies. Seeing the WWOHP is the main reason we're going to Universal. After Universal we'll be spending a week at Disney.

Have a fantastic trip! :cool1: Hope you will write about it when you get back.

We didn't actually go into the Owl Post, all of the shops were SOOOOO crowded when we were there. I think (and hope) it will be a little quieter there for you. Forgot to add that you can also have postcards or other other things stamped with a Hogwarts or Hogsmeade postmark there. Can't remember which- I wanted to do this, but we didn't.

Loved the HP books!!! The movies, too, but the books more.

Where are you staying while you are in Orlando?

Loved, loved, loved your trip report! :love: Thank you for sharing so much great info and ideas with us!

Thank you so much for your nice comments! It was fun to write it. Really helped me to think about and remember our great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter