"welcome home" -- *everyone* gets this greeting now?

They've been doing this for over a year. So if this is the first you are hearing about it and you don't like it, put your hands over your ears, hum the Mickey song to yourself, and nothing has changed.

Let me see if I have this right. If I'm DVC, I own a piece of the magic and should be greeted by "Welcome Home" and treated special. But if I go 3 times a year and spend my hard-earned money to rent a room at Boardwalk I'm not entitled to feel the magic or be treated nice? What I'm reading heere reminds of one time I was waiting in line at Dundy's Sundries. The line was getting a little long, and the person and the back rather loudly asked, "Hey, where's the line for DVC? I shouldn't have to wait." The answers are not printable here. What's wrong with it if it makes people feel good?

Sorry but like ChuckS said: “It really is sort of becoming a "standard" hospitality hotel/motel catch phrase, not just at Disney.” In the last six months I’ve heard similar greetings at two hotels.

We heard a "Welcome Home" last fall for the guests in front of us who were checking into the BWI. My first reaction was, "Hey, that's OUR greeting." But the people who got it were very VERY pleased with it. We hear it plenty of times during our trips, so if it makes other guests feel good (and come back), then I guess it's fine with me.

DisFlan

Personally, I don't want to be home when I am at Disney. Home is one thing, DVC is another. I like home, mind you, but when I go on a Disney Vacation, it's about the furtherest from home that I can think of.

I mean, where are all the talking mice at home?

Hmm, the walk-around Mickey doesn't talk, so maybe I AM home when I go to WDW???

Personally, I don't want to be home when I am at Disney. Home is one thing, DVC is another. I like home, mind you, but when I go on a Disney Vacation, it's about the furtherest from home that I can think of.

I mean, where are all the talking mice at home?

Hmm, the walk-around Mickey doesn't talk, so maybe I AM home when I go to WDW???

I'm home when I'm at Disney. When I'm not at Disney I'm merely earning the money to pay for the luxuries I want when I'm at home! :lmao:

As far as the poster who said, "Just out of curiousity, how should they be greeted? "We'll take your money but you're not welcome here???" Yeah, sure, that's *just* what they should say. :idea: Great idea! How about, "welcome to the All Stars resort" or whatever resort they're checking in to. Since they just started touting the "welcome home" spiel to every resort within the past year, what do you think they did before that? Oh, yeah, they said, "well take your money....." :rolleyes:

Look, perhaps it *is* just the latest industry wide marketing ploy, but for me it kind of sucks. I got a thrill out of owning a piece of the magic, and hearing a special "welcome home" at the DVC resorts was part of the thrill. I'm not the only one -- if you've been hanging on these boards for amy length of time you'll know that every new member looks forward to hearing "welcome home" when they check in for the first time. Now I guess they don't have to wait to hear that -- they'll hear it anywhere they stay on property. :sad2:

To me, Disney promotes that phrase heavily as DVC only type thing. I did get the warm fuzzies when I heard it and it does bug me a bit that it's become the standard.

I don't understand why they can't come up with a special phrase for the other non-DVC resorts.

To me, Disney promotes that phrase heavily as DVC only type thing. I did get the warm fuzzies when I heard it and it does bug me a bit that it's become the standard.

I don't understand why they can't come up with a special phrase for the other non-DVC resorts.

when i first joined over 12 yrs ago, it meant something. when dvc got so large, it just didn't mean the same anymore. everybody and their brother is a member now and no matter where you stay, you hear it.

I get a special feeling when I pay only $1500/year maintenance for about 2 weeks in a DVC 1BR. Hence, I'm pretty happy about everything.

Having said that, I believe everybody deserves the red carpet while on vacation: regardless of how much or how they paid for it.

Add me to the petty train.

I love the Welcome Home.....but..... when we were there this past May at BWV, we checked in and no welcome home's. We didn't get one until later in the trip at the gift shop.

I must say we were disappointed, we always felt special.

Welcome Home does nothing for me. Deeds not words, I say. I am very happy with the way I am treated as a DVC member and as a cash guest- to me that is what is important.

Although it doesn't bother me it makes more sense for a DVC member to get a Welcome Home versus a resort guest. Since we have an ownership its more of a home for us since we probably visit more often. I'm sure non-DVC members visit often. I always thought it was nice from a DVC perspective since we bought a piece of the Magic.

Also, we just returned and whenever a Disney bus drops you off at your resort; DVC or not the last thing the recording says is "And Welcome Home".

I can see where it might bother some if they did not get the Welcome Home and actually this was a reason for the change. DVC members complaining they did not get the Welcome.

So it was easier to simply make it universal across the property as you have alot of CMs that work multiple resorts and move around.

Just pretend no one ever told you that it changed, for if you had not read it here, would you have known. :confused3

The DVC Membership is growing so quickly, Disney just assumes that everyone will be a Member. :thumbsup2

I too love hearing the "Welcome Home". It was something special to start your vacation. I even heard it when I checked in at Disneyland Hotel a few months back.

Do DVC members deserve the red carpet treatment? In my opinion no. We did pay for a membership that comes with perks. So we should get those perks. Welcome Home may not seem much to some but to my family it's special.

I don't have a issue I guess usisng "welcome Home" but they could use something like "Welcome to the Magic" or something like that

Although it doesn't bother me it makes more sense for a DVC member to get a Welcome Home versus a resort guest. Since we have an ownership its more of a home for us since we probably visit more often. I'm sure non-DVC members visit often. I always thought it was nice from a DVC perspective since we bought a piece of the Magic.

Also, we just returned and whenever a Disney bus drops you off at your resort; DVC or not the last thing the recording says is "And Welcome Home".

I rented an apartment for years. Didn't mean it wasn't "home."

Frankly, I find the whole thing silly. DVC isn't my home, Disney and DVC are a place I vacation from time to time. I can't say I'm offended, but it seems like a cheap marketing shot and a misuse of a word to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter