"welcome home" -- *everyone* gets this greeting now?

I like being told "Welcome Home" when I go to WDW so if they want to say it to other people be my guest I enjoy it so why shouldnt everyone else :thumbsup2

I always thought the Welcome Home was a bit silly. When DH and I bought DVC, one of our jokes was now we have to listen to silly marketing slogans when we check in.

I don't really care who they say "welcome home" to as long as they remember to say it or some cute, comforting, similar catch phrase to me! When I bought DVC last year, that was something I looked forward to hearing. It DID feel extremely special and made me feel a little important. When I took my family members this year and saw the joy they got from hearing "welcome home" and being treated with the utmost respect (even without having to throw out a little blue member card) it made me very happy! I wanted to give my parents and siblings a grand vacation!

I think by saying it to everyone, it's nice because it doesn't make NON DVC members feel less than or different than DVC members (not saying that they are different, I just think some people feel different.) A family of four that uses their life savings for a 5 day vacation in the midst of magic at POP deserves the same friendliness as those who have deeds. "Deeds, not words" seems rather ironic right now. :hippie:

It has kind of lost its meaning now that they say it to everyone - I liked it when it was just reserved for the DVC members.

We sailed on Carnival in March, and every time we reboarded the ship, all the crew said "Welcome Home" and there were signs around with the message as well. :headache:

However, I still smile when it registers that a CM is saying it to me. I know they are saying it to everyone now, but still...I like thinking of our DVC villa as "home."

Bobbi:goodvibes

I rented an apartment for years. Didn't mean it wasn't "home."

Frankly, I find the whole thing silly. DVC isn't my home, Disney and DVC are a place I vacation from time to time. I can't say I'm offended, but it seems like a cheap marketing shot and a misuse of a word to me.

Crisi--I totally agree with you.

It is not my home. I don't really "own" anything there, IMHO. I have paid for the right to stay in a hotel until 2042. And that's all.

"Welcome Home" always seems so shallow to me.

Crisi--I totally agree with you.

It is not my home. I don't really "own" anything there, IMHO. I have paid for the right to stay in a hotel until 2042. And that's all.

"Welcome Home" always seems so shallow to me.

Gee, if we don't own anything I suspect Disney and us could save an awful lot of money and not bother with any of that deed stuff or real estate mumbo jumbo. :rolleyes1

Actually, I think it is DVD's way of making money. They trademarked "Welcome Home" and are licensing it for use at other resorts, LOL.

It does upset me a little bit. What if they decided that they were going to start calling everyone who vacations at Disney more than twice in a three year period (or something of the sort) members of the "Disney Vacation Club" and started using that term interchangeably with the prepaid vacation program? That would bother me a lot. I see this as comparable. Though it may be a small matter, people want to feel like they matter and are appreciated. Increasingly, it appears that Disney simply thinks that DVC members should be treated equal to or worse than other guests. That's not a pleasant feeling given the commitment being made by members. Tokens of appreciative behavior should be the norm.

I do not care if they say it to others but I will admit that there were one or two times that it was not said to us and I felt a little slighted!

One of the best greetings we ever received was not DVC but at POR-it was just Port Orleans back then. It was the days before Disney Cruise Line and we had just gone on the Premier cruise. It was a horrible experience. I cried throughout most of the drive from Cape Canaveral to Disney lamenting on the wasted money I had just thrown away. This was only our 3rd Disney trip. The first two were at YC and GF so I had little expectation for PO. When we pulled up to the guard he greeted us in a lovely southern voice, "Where y'all been? We've been waiting on you!" The mood instantly changed. Some 13 years later and we still talk about how that greeting turned our vacation around.

I sort of care if they say this or not... I like when they say it, but I am not going to let it ruin my mood if they do not! The ONLY thing I care about is are ALL cast members nice, helpful, friendly, etc during my stay.. Just want to be treated like I am "at home" with the 'disney magic' we all have become used to over the past several years...Smiling faces, friendly people, accomodating, etc etc....:goodvibes

deerh

This drives me crazy because I paid a lot of money for that "welcome home". By saying it to everyone they have cheapened it. Disney isn't everyone's second home. But it's mine because I own half a doorknob on unit 72B at SSR.

I sort of care if they say this or not... I like when they say it, but I am not going to let it ruin my mood if they do not! The ONLY thing I care about is are ALL cast members nice, helpful, friendly, etc during my stay.. Just want to be treated like I am "at home" with the 'disney magic' we all have become used to over the past several years...Smiling faces, friendly people, accomodating, etc etc....:goodvibes

deerh

Well said! We bought into DVC to be able to affordably experience that "Disney with a Smile" on a regular basis. Not for the words "Welcome Home". As long as we're treated with the usual Disney cheer, we're happy.

I have mixed emotions about this.

I really like hearing "Welcome Home" when I'm there, and if I don't hear it I notice it. It's like not hearing, "Gentlemen, start your engines!" at a race or "Play Ball!" at a baseball game, it would be odd and disappointing.

As long as I hear it, I don't think I mind if others hear it too... but there's a small whiny child in me that says it should be a DVC thing!

And I don't think it's a misuse of a word. A couple definitions for home apply here:
"1. a house, apartment, or other shelter that is the usual residence of a person, family, or household."
->SSR is my usual residence at WDW, therefore it's home.
"6. any place of residence or refuge"
->yup, that's pretty accurate too.

D4D

This won't be a popular reply I'm sure, but why worry about what others "are" or "are not" getting?
Sounds like a "beat the Joneses" or " I am better than you" attitude is showing here.

I fully understand those that are upset because they didn't get the nice welcome. Everyone deserves to feel special.

Who here would want someone elses family to have any "less" of a special time than yours? If it makes you feel good, than it probably might make someone elses trip a little more magical too.

Disney saying "Welcome Home" to non DVC members doesn't in ANY way lessen your enjoyment or your particular trip. Instead of wanting your greeting to be better than theirs, take a minute to watch their happiness when hearing it, just like you feel when you hear it.

Greed, jealousy, envy and hatred are learned (and optional) emotions.

Sean

This won't be a popular reply I'm sure, but why worry about what others "are" or "are not" getting?
Sounds like a "beat the Joneses" or " I am better than you" attitude is showing here.

I fully understand those that are upset because they didn't get the nice welcome. Everyone deserves to feel special.

Who here would want someone elses family to have any "less" of a special time than yours? If it makes you feel good, than it probably might make someone elses trip a little more magical too.

Disney saying "Welcome Home" to non DVC members doesn't in ANY way lessen your enjoyment or your particular trip. Instead of wanting your greeting to be better than theirs, take a minute to watch their happiness when hearing it, just like you feel when you hear it.

Sean

Wow, Sean, you're one highly evolved human.

But you know, I don't actually want others to have a worse experience than I do. Truly.

And honestly -- their faces don't light up because it's a spiel on a bus for crying out loud. It's not special to *anyone* anymore.

I really liked Welcome Home. They didn.t say it to us at all at AKL I thought it was because its not our Home resort. If you give something to everyone then its no longer special. They can just keep it now.

Sean
Well, I respectfully disagree with just about everything you have stated.

You see, some may call it greedy, but it actually IS a second home for me. -- My tax return can prove it!
What is wrong with a little recognition to show appreciation for on going commitment to DVC Members?

I certainly don't condone treating non Members badly, or being rude to them.. Just a little something for those of us who have actually made Disney a second (or third) home.

You know, I don't expect to get a thank you card from someone that I never bought a gift for.. :smokin:

PS- If it isn't special to Members anymore, than it does diminish our trip experience (albeit a small amount).

MG

Call me petty, but this bugs me.

:rotfl2: I know you're joking. Anyone who could say that and mean it would need to get outside for fresh air, volunteer at a shelter of some sort, help out at a hospice, etc. You know - embrace real life. :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter