We're not going back 5 years but this is our 5th trip in4years!WERE BACK,NEW tr link

Hi Diane - I will keep my fingers crossed for the last minute cheap airfare. I can definitely see the benefits of having a car. When we were kids my parents always drove everywhere especially to Disney. We have not driven before with our kids but I definitely agree with everyone else...stay clear of DC/Richmond/Baltimore area around rush hour. My husband is more of a night owl than I am so I can see where Brian would have you take the 1st shift shift. Driving will be like a Griswold family memory :rotfl2: think of it as an adventure. :rotfl:

When you find out speed limit down in Carolinas and Georga, set your cruise control if not a lot of traffic

There are state trooper everywhere :thumbsup2

I hope you do get lucky with some cheap flights coming up. But I think the road trip sounds like fun. It's always good family bonding time, and on the drive there, I'm sure the excitement will build.

I wouldn't worry much about the overnight drive. We have had a couple of those going to Memphis from Austin (one was when there was a blizzard and we were at a standstill for HOURS on the highway). With each other to talk to, you'll do fine. The other can even get in a few cat naps. Just plan to take a nice rest at some point on the day you arrive at WDW, to recharge.

Thanks Susan! I am looking forward to spending time with my family!

the speed IS 75 in parts of NC SC, and GA, so you are covered there.... we were able to drive overnight -- get good books on tape! It is a bonding thing. I agree with the PP :thumbsup2 And if you go that route, kids are asleep. THAT helps with the sanity!!!! (are we there yet every 15 minutes!!!)

Thanks so much for the speed limit info! I am looking into the books on tape!

Diane:

I have found that if I drive first I am okay for quite a few hours. DH likes to drive at night and can stay up better than I so we get along great in that area. I will probably wake around 5:00 in the morning and take over again. Now, with that said, DH will be a grump the rest of the day if he does not have a nap when we get there. I already have it planned to take DS to the Poly pool and let DH sleep. I don't have anything planned for our first day due.

As far as DS, he goes to sleep after about two hours and will stay asleep until morning. Hopefully, your boys will do the same.

Good luck. I have found that even though I prefer flying, I do actually enjoy the drive with the family.

Erika

I think I will definitely drive first, Bryan will sleep! Hopefully it will all work out!

Hi Diane - I will keep my fingers crossed for the last minute cheap airfare. I can definitely see the benefits of having a car. When we were kids my parents always drove everywhere especially to Disney. We have not driven before with our kids but I definitely agree with everyone else...stay clear of DC/Richmond/Baltimore area around rush hour. My husband is more of a night owl than I am so I can see where Brian would have you take the 1st shift shift. Driving will be like a Griswold family memory :rotfl2: think of it as an adventure. :rotfl:

Thanks for all of the advice, I really appreciate it! Bryan in definitely more of a night owl than I am so it will probably work out fine!!

When you find out speed limit down in Carolinas and Georga, set your cruise control if not a lot of traffic

There are state trooper everywhere :thumbsup2

Good thinking Kelly! Thanks for the tip!!

Thanks so much! I really have to plan this out well because we have to consider the rush in Philly too as well as Jacksonville, FL...UGH maybe we should just fly!!!

Hello! I was just reading your PTR. The plans sound great!

We live in Jacksonville, FL. If you are heading South on I-95 around rush hour in the afternoon, there are options...

Go through town on I-95 ~ Ugh! No thanks!

Take 295 S around town ~ You will be heading against the afternoon rush hour traffic! I think this is the best option.

Take 9A South ~ Kind of in the middle traffic wise, but it runs straight into the heavy 95/295 merger, so it can get backed up!

Anyway, I hope this helps with the plans!

If you are driving throughthe night, I like the 9A option if you are driving past us in the morning! ( Do you like bridges? There's a nice high one on that option!) I live 5 minutes from the I-95 St. Augustine Rd exit. There's a McDonald's right there if you need to stop or a Panera for a different option. Remember the Disney Outlet in St. Augustine. Of course, by then you will just want to get where you are going! I know I would be dying to get out of the car by that time!

That'd be great if you found cheap last minute airfare. What airports are you within driving distance to?

Thanks so much! I really have to plan this out well because we have to consider the rush in Philly too as well as Jacksonville, FL...UGH maybe we should just fly!!!

Hello! I was just reading your PTR. The plans sound great!

We live in Jacksonville, FL. If you are heading South on I-95 around rush hour in the afternoon, there are options...

Go through town on I-95 ~ Ugh! No thanks!

Take 295 S around town ~ You will be heading against the afternoon rush hour traffic! I think this is the best option.

Take 9A South ~ Kind of in the middle traffic wise, but it runs straight into the heavy 95/295 merger, so it can get backed up!

Anyway, I hope this helps with the plans!

If you are driving throughthe night, I like the 9A option if you are driving past us in the morning! ( Do you like bridges? There's a nice high one on that option!) I live 5 minutes from the I-95 St. Augustine Rd exit. There's a McDonald's right there if you need to stop or a Panera for a different option. Remember the Disney Outlet in St. Augustine. Of course, by then you will just want to get where you are going! I know I would be dying to get out of the car by that time!

WELCOME!!! Thanks for posting that great Jacksonville info!:thumbsup2 I have our plans now and I will post soon!

That'd be great if you found cheap last minute airfare. What airports are you within driving distance to?

We could fly out of Philly, AC or Newark easily!!:goodvibes

Well I am back!! Sorry for the delay in posting but everyday life has taken me away from the DIS...SORRY!:thumbsup2 I have a small update now though!

Most of you have weighed in on our stroller debate and although we will be bringing it, we have decided to let the boys be more responsible for their own items on this trip (water bottle/spray bottle, lanyard,autograph books and pens) With that being said, I can be less of a pack mule and actually carry a smaller bag! I saw this very dangerous Vera Bradley thread on the budget board and was too weak to resist....so I ordered a hipster and small wallet!:rolleyes1 Hey it was an early birthday present!:goodvibes

Most years when we travel to Disney, we always budget to give the boys some spending money. This year we have told them that we will not be giving them any money and that they will need to bring their own. Santa brought them each a gift card and the Easter Bunny is planning on bringing them one too, but in these budget conscious times we really want them to start being responsible with money! We did agree to buy them one pin each if their report cards are good for the 4th marking period but that is it!

I turn 40 on Friday:scared1::scared1::scared1: Bryan has a great night out planned with some of our family and friends and I will be sure to post aboout it over the weekend! Matthew turns 10 on Monday! I cannot believe he is going to be double digits!:headache: It will be nice to spend the weekend celebrating and forgetting about how the state of NJ is broke and there are taeacher layoffs looming and how we will now be required to contribute more to our pensions.....I digress...it just seems like everything is just bad news and doom and gloom lately everywhere we turn! I think we will enjoy Disney more this summer then ever before!!!:goodvibes

I think your plan sounds great. :thumbsup2 And congrats on the hipster! Can't wait to see a picture of it. :goodvibes

Happy early 40th!! :cool1: :cool1: And happy 10th to Matthew! :bday: Hope you have some wonderful celebrations.

:thumbsup2 Great plan with the boys. We are planning to do the same with DS. He is doing chores around the house to earn money to spend at Disney. That is his souvenir money-no more!

:sad2:I still cannot fathom why the states keep cutting the budgets for schools. We see it in our district in Ohio. Last year, there were no layoffs due to retirements but our classrooms sizes have increased significantly. I can see a major difference with DS's whole attitude about school. It is so frustrating and I don't even work in the school system. Good Luck to you!

:dance3:Happy 40th Birthday this weekend! I hope you have a wonderful time.

Erika

I think it's great that the boys will get to be more responsible with their items and their money. There comes a time sometime, right?

Happy early birthday! You will find that 40 is fabulous! These past 3 years have been the best in my life!

Happy birthday to Matthew too!

Disney is just the Rx to get your mind off all the crud going on in the world and the economy these days. A great escape!

Gloom and doom about sums it up, doesn't it? It's a scary world in education right now!

Anyway, I love your update -- what pattern on hipster did you order? Can't wait to see it! I like the idea of giving the boys more responsibility! I might have to adopt that policy!

Happy Early 40th to you and 10th to Matthew :cool1:

Thats a good idea with boys and their spending money :thumbsup2

I hear ya on NJ..so depressing :sad2:

I saw the hipsters on the Budget board but I resisted, Happy Early Birthday Diane! I love the budget board but spend too much money as a result : )
Sorry about the doom and gloom news you've been getting recently, can't wait to get to Disney with you SOON!!!!!!:thumbsup2:cool1: It can't get here fast enough!
-Lesley

Hi Diane - Happy 40th Birthday (a little early) ! Wow two big birthday for your guys this weekend ... very exciting, sounds like you guys have lots of fun planned.

I like your idea about giving the boys more responsibility with their money. I think the gift cards is a great idea for them. It is so easy when you are at Disney to spend, spend, spend on souvenirs. My husband always teases me that I try to buy up as much of the magic as I can to bring home with me. :lmao:

I agree about all the doom and gloom in the economy. These are tough times right now. Having your Disney trip to look forward will hlep get you thru. :goodvibes

Happy Birthday tomorrow!!! I still have a little way to go until that 40, but regardless, a Birthday is a birthday! :wizard:

It is hard news to hear, I know -- the education profession is being hit pretty hard, everywhere. I hope things sort themselves out in your state.

Your Disney trip will likely be a good diversion for everyone. :goodvibes

I think your plan sounds great. :thumbsup2 And congrats on the hipster! Can't wait to see a picture of it. :goodvibes

Happy early 40th!! :cool1: :cool1: And happy 10th to Matthew! :bday: Hope you have some wonderful celebrations.

Thanks Carissa! I am hoping to post an update tonight!

:thumbsup2 Great plan with the boys. We are planning to do the same with DS. He is doing chores around the house to earn money to spend at Disney. That is his souvenir money-no more!

:sad2:I still cannot fathom why the states keep cutting the budgets for schools. We see it in our district in Ohio. Last year, there were no layoffs due to retirements but our classrooms sizes have increased significantly. I can see a major difference with DS's whole attitude about school. It is so frustrating and I don't even work in the school system. Good Luck to you!

:dance3:Happy 40th Birthday this weekend! I hope you have a wonderful time.

Erika

Thanks Erika! The next few weeks should be interesting to see what happens with teachers around here!

I think it's great that the boys will get to be more responsible with their items and their money. There comes a time sometime, right?

Happy early birthday! You will find that 40 is fabulous! These past 3 years have been the best in my life!

Happy birthday to Matthew too!

Disney is just the Rx to get your mind off all the crud going on in the world and the economy these days. A great escape!

Thanks Susan! I NEED to get to Disney now..it really has been a crappy couple of months!

Gloom and doom about sums it up, doesn't it? It's a scary world in education right now!

Anyway, I love your update -- what pattern on hipster did you order? Can't wait to see it! I like the idea of giving the boys more responsibility! I might have to adopt that policy!

Thanks Jackie! I know you know EXACTLY how stressful this whole thing is!

Happy Early 40th to you and 10th to Matthew :cool1:

Thats a good idea with boys and their spending money :thumbsup2

I hear ya on NJ..so depressing :sad2:

Thanks Kelly! It is depressing isn't it!

I saw the hipsters on the Budget board but I resisted, Happy Early Birthday Diane! I love the budget board but spend too much money as a result : )
Sorry about the doom and gloom news you've been getting recently, can't wait to get to Disney with you SOON!!!!!!:thumbsup2:cool1: It can't get here fast enough!
-Lesley

Thanks Lesley! I sooooo need a trip to Disney, I have been in tears all day just soooo stressed and the weather SUCKS!!!!

Have a great birthday!!!

Thanks, it was a great day!

Hi Diane - Happy 40th Birthday (a little early) ! Wow two big birthday for your guys this weekend ... very exciting, sounds like you guys have lots of fun planned.

I like your idea about giving the boys more responsibility with their money. I think the gift cards is a great idea for them. It is so easy when you are at Disney to spend, spend, spend on souvenirs. My husband always teases me that I try to buy up as much of the magic as I can to bring home with me. :lmao:

I agree about all the doom and gloom in the economy. These are tough times right now. Having your Disney trip to look forward will hlep get you thru. :goodvibes

Thanks so much! I would buy the magic right now if I could too!!!

Happy Birthday- Enjoy your day!!!! :goodvibes

Thanks so much!

Happy Birthday tomorrow!!! I still have a little way to go until that 40, but regardless, a Birthday is a birthday! :wizard:

It is hard news to hear, I know -- the education profession is being hit pretty hard, everywhere. I hope things sort themselves out in your state.

Your Disney trip will likely be a good diversion for everyone. :goodvibes

Thanks so much! The next year or two will be very interesting job wise!:confused3

On with this pre trip report!!! We are on Spring Break this week! It came at a great time but I sure wish the weather would cooperate!!!! Hopefully starting tomorrow, it is suppossed to be sunny and in the 70's!!!

Most of you know we had a birthday extravaganza here this weekend! I turned 40 on Friday and guess what? I don't feel any different! Bryan bought me beautiful tulips which are my FAVORITE!!!

IMG_0254.jpg

Bryan had planned a dinner out at one of my favorite BYOB italian restaurants! My sisters, BIL, and friends were there and it was a GREAT time! Don't mind the picture...my sister was practically sitting in my lap when she took it!

IMG_0207.jpg

Bryan ordered a special cake with cannoli filling...another fave of mine! Here is a picture of a piece...

IMG_0219.jpg

Here is my self bought present!!!

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

Next up was a gift from my sisters that I LOVE...it is a silver bracelet cuff that says sister in many different languages and the word sister down the middle!

IMG_0255.jpg

It was also Matthew's 10th birthday on Monday! One of his favorite things is golfing so last weekend when the weather was nice we took him to hit some golf balls!

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0204-1.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0206-1.jpg

We had some family over on Sunday to help him celebrate!

IMG_0222.jpg

Can't believe my baby is 10!!!

IMG_0248.jpg

opening presents!!!

IMG_0230.jpg

So I have saved the BEST NEWS for last!!!!! The most amazing gift I received ........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

A weekend GIRLS ONLY TRIP to WALT DISNEY WORLD!!!!!! I cannot wait!!! So yes, Lesley and I will finally be getting our time away and not letting the guys be the only ones to have fun!!!!!!!!

I am soooooooo happy to be going back before the summer......after this horrible winter and crummy start to the spring it is JUST what the doctor ordered! We got an AWESOME AP rate and we will be staying at the Wilderness Lodge!!! More details will emerge as they are planned!!!

Also, I have been really hitting the DIS hard yesterday and today and I found the link to a really cool opportunity for boys on the front page, check this out!!!

http://www.disunplugged.com/2010/03/03/ridemakerz/

I guess that's all for now!!! Happy Easter everyone!!!

Happy belated Birthday Diane! party::bday:party:And to your son as well! Looks like you both had a great one!:goodvibes

So glad to hear you and Lesley are taking a Girls' trip together....I know I mentioned on Tim's last TR thread that you too should do just that!;)

And I am totally with you on the Ridemakerz idea...my son (and husband) will be all over this! What a great permanent addition to the Virgin store!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter