• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What did you bake today ? OK if not from scratch

I’ve been baking less now that weather is heating up, but I did throw in some cookies the other day - oatmeal mint chip that I had mixed up before and frozen.

I’ve been baking less now that weather is heating up, but I did throw in some cookies the other day - oatmeal mint chip that I had mixed up before and frozen.
I have to freeze another batch of cookie dough balls. Those are so convenient and such a nice way to end an evening -- fresh baked cookies (in a nicely limited amount!). The David Lebovitz recipe for Kitchen Sink Cookies works super well with whatever odds and ends of things you have to use up in your pantry -- freezes great -- and bakes up lovely. :)

This is from last weekend, but I made a garlic and herb sourdough lAE0DF223-6C4D-4FA1-888C-CFAF64D82E53.jpeg

Today, I’ve got a blueberry sourdough in progress. It’s raining and a nice day to bake.

Angel food cake and then breaking it up, covering with a pudding/sour cream mix and the ending with cherry pie filling. DS's favorite. It will be served tomorrow

I'm making paella for my father this week. The best recipes for paella I have found is on the Youtube vlog Spain on a Fork . Truly a cool channel for those who like food from Spain or just want to try something new. Yum. 🇪🇸🥘

FROM THE PREPPY KITCHEN ON YOU TUBE:
Father's Day dessert!

A piece of three layer yellow cake with chocolate frosting on a blue and white plate.

Yellow Cake Recipe

A fluffy, tender, moist, melt in your mouth yellow cake covered in the best chocolate buttercream imaginable.

Course Dessert
Cuisine American

Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes

Servings 12 people
Calories 674kcal
Author John Kanell

Ingredients
For the Cake:
  • 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour 270g
  • 1/4 cup corn starch 35g
  • 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar 250g
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature, 113g
  • ¼ cup vegetable oil 60mL
  • 3 eggs room temperature, large
  • 2 yolks
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract 15mL
  • 1 cup buttermilk 240mL
For the Chocolate Buttercream:
  • 1 ¼ cup unsalted butter 1 cup room temp, ¼ cup melted
  • ¼ cup cocoa
  • ½ tsp salt You can add less if you're salt-sensitive
  • 1/2 cup milk divided
  • 1 lb powdered sugar 450g
  • ⅓ cup semisweet chocolate
Instructions
For the Cake
  • Preheat oven to 350F. Butter and flour three 6 inch round pans. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, corn starch, and salt then set aside.
  • Cream butter and sugar in a stand mixer using a paddle attachment, or a large bowl if using an electric hand mixer.
  • Add the oil and vanilla, mix to combine then scrape the bowl down. Add the eggs one at a time mixing until incorporated before adding the next. Scrape the bowl down once more and mix again.
  • Add flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter in alternating batches while mixing on low.
  • Bake at 350F for about 30 minutes or until the centers are set and springy.
  • Allow to layers cool in pans for a few minutes then invert into a wire rack to cool completely.
For the Chocolate Buttercream
  • Melt 1/4 cup of the butter in a microwave. Mix in the cocoa power and set aside.
  • Melt 1/3 cup of semisweet chocolate with 1/4 cup milk then mix together and set aside. You can use 1/2 cup of chocolate for an extra-rich frosting if desired.
  • Beat one cup of room temperature butter in a stand mixer using a paddle attachment, or a large bowl if using an electric hand mixer.
  • Pour in the melted butter cocoa mixture, mix to combine then scrape the bowl down and mix again. Add the powdered sugar and mix on low. Pour in the melted and cooled chocolate ganache then drizzle in about 1/4 cup of milk. Scrape the bowl down and mix until smooth. Your frosting should be silky, soft and luscious.

Pecan mocha brownies for Father's Day, serving them after Korean BBQ grilled salmon along with (for those who don't like fish) chicken, cheddar wurst, Burgers, bourbon baked beans, potato salad, coleslaw,deviled eggs and all the fixings. It's 90 here so baking, dishes, laundry all before sunrise.

Baked my 88 yr old Dad his favorite two layer white cake with fudge icing. When I dropped it off to him we gave each other "air" hugs as we call them. I would have loved to just hug him. :goodvibes

SK's Jacked Up Banana Bread. Added bittersweet chocolate chips and dried cranberries and nuts. Very easy recipe, one bowl, no mixer needed. Looks good, smells great! DH will be pleased. :)

I bake all year, heat doesn't matter

Yesterday baked mini chocolate chocolate chip muffins for the grand kids.........every week they get muffins.
Poor kids have to have something........they have only been to the doctor, dentist and the zoo once.

No baking this week. But I did swap out some really old spices for new ones. Wow! It really does make a difference. I was adding more and more of a spice, but I realize now, since using the new jars, that I just wasn't getting a flavorful punch or the extra nuances that new spices have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter