What do you consider “stocking up” vs “hoarding”?

If these are things you always use and need, it is on sale or you have had trouble finding to purchase in the past, then stocking up makes sense. Hoarding to me means buying things “just because”, without any intent to ever use. With that being said, I am stocking up on certain things when they show up in store such as hand sanitizer which I know we will need more of when school starts up in the fall.

I think the difference is behavioral, your just stocking up/being prepared if you are rationally maintaining a supply that you are comfortable with, your hording if you really have no idea how much of anything you need and your just buying as much as you can get your hands on.

I think this is a really good definition: stocking up is having a reasonable supply to get you thru a defined period. Hoarding is buying as much as you can with no reasonable plan for using it.

There seems to be something almost primal about it...perhaps an "I have the lion's share and you get nothing" sort of outlook. It is like what people can grab equates to a prize of sorts. I don't really understand it and can't speak to the minds of people who need to grab the most. This is real life, not and episode of Supermarket Sweep.

I call that “cabbage patch syndrome”. When a person doesn‘t really want or need something that is popular or in demand. But they buy it just because it’s available to them.

It depends on your circumstances. When I lived in rural upstate NY, I would have a large stockpile of all manner of items. Basically, you needed to be ready in case you were housebound for a couple weeks. Now, we live in coastal NC--hurricane country. I still need to have emergency supplies for a week or so, plus I have more (and larger) children these days. OTOH, I also have 3 grocery stores within a mile, plus lots of other shopping venues, so I'm much less likely to be housebound--the kids literally walk to Publix for "emergency" supplies, like s'mores fixins.

I always try to keep a spare gallon of milk in the back fridge, and a loaf of bread in the back freezer (in the garage). That's mostly so we don't have to make emergency runs at 6am because we're out of one or the other. I keep a good stash of ingredients in my pantry, but that's more because I don't think from day to day, what I'm going to cook for dinner.

Stocking up: making sure you have enough supplies for 2 weeks
Hoarding: having so many supplies that you can't store them properly and they become perishable
Prepping: having a Safe Space (like a bunker) where you can safely and properly store up to 5 years of supplies

I have a set of relatives that are hoarders...we have removed ourselves from the situation for the most part, we don't go over there .....we SO didn't want to be like them we started to go the opposite way! Once the kids moved out and it was just the two of us, I'd only get what we needed at that moment in time and no more. My reasoning was that I could always pop out and get more. Well that came back to bite me on the butt this past March! So I'm trying to get myself okay with having extra TP & paper towels around the house, maybe a bit more laundry soap and maybe even a extra hand soap under the sink!

I have always had a supply but I am now keeping a bit more. I quit buying for awhile but now if I use up a pkg of kleenex, tp or pt I just buy another one even though I have an extra package or two waiting. Same with soups, pastas etc. They were hard to find in the beginning so I decided to replace and keep a bigger supply than usual. Say maybe 6 cans or boxes of each kind. My husband needs soft food and if I ran out of something like that I don't know what he could eat. I have maybe 4 disinfectant wipe containers and a couple of spray cleaners. I have plenty of hand sanitizers. I don't feel that I am hoarding but being prepared for a second wave should one come. My husband is in the extreme category so I can't get out whenever I run out of something.

I think hoarding can take on another definition during shortages. As I mentioned before, I keep a little extra right now and I think that's reasonable. However, I think going out and getting 6 months worth during a shortage could be considered hoarding - even with a reasonable, practical plan for using. I would feel terrible putting the last pack of toilet paper in my cart so that I could have 6 months worth at home knowing the person behind me might be going store to store looking for it because their family is totally out. (Though I have to add that the time to do that is now when we are not currently in a terrible shortage on most things if that's the way you roll.)

I'm not saying anyone here is advocating that - people all seem very reasonable. However, I do think some people are being pretty loose with their definition of hoarding during a shortage. There's "hoarding" like on the tv show and then there's "hoarding" as in keeping a huge stockpile in your closet while others are struggling to find any. Clearly the people running through Costco with carts full of multiple 36 packs of tp during the height of the tp shortage met the criteria of hoarding IMO.

Stocking up = I will likely use it up before it expires/dries up.

Hoarding = I need to buy this because I see others buying it and I am worried I won't be able to find it if I might need it in the future and I better buy several, if not all of what's there, so I don't run out.... ever.

Here's how I see it.

Hoarding is when you hear rumors of 14 days (2 weeks) quarantine and you and everyone else runs out and buys four 48 packs of TP at Sam's or Costco.

Stocking up is when you saw that happen when a virus was released and sprung on us and you understand that it is probably going to come back in the fall so you do what you are saying, buying a little extra each week to stock up when the inevitable happens.

I think people also have to remember hoarding is also mental illness about security and control. My MIL is a hoarder for sure but not like useful helpful items. I think if knowing purchases that will be used within 3-6 months is stocking up.

I'm sure people would say that we (2 adults) are hoarders from the generic thoughts here. I really don't like grocery shopping and I tend to buy more when on sale. I also buy for my MIL and my mom. I keep plenty of items to share with anyone and everyone. My friends all know they just have to call and if I have it, it's theirs.

It depends on your family size and your personal habits.

We don't buy more than one package of toilet paper or paper towels for instance at one time at Costco. We don't need more than one package at one time. However, I would consider maybe that is getting 2 at once and then that's it OR buying another one in two months (provided it was in stock) as opposed to several months in between. The pictures of the people I saw hoarding were buying 5,6,7+ packages of which those packages are much larger than what you buy at the normal grocery store. If you're buying for more than one household you still wouldn't likely need that much or the chances of that is low compared to you truly buying because you're wanting to gobble it all up.

I'd say when it came time for my mom with her toilet paper harping a few months ago is she was wanting a new package nearly every couple of days. She told me last week she was considering getting a package maybe every time she went to the grocery store. To me that's more than stocking up because she gets the "I don't want to run out" fear rather than just assessing her true need.

I mentioned on another thread about thinking about getting another container of Kleenex more quickly than in the past for the fall. The Kleenex was nearly $20 at Costco I don't remember it being quite that high so we passed (we have 3 full boxes left plus a few leftover so not pressing) for now. But when we need more I'm not interested in getting a ton just because.

I also think there are a few types of hoarders; one of which are the panic buyers who are afraid of running out, another who sees others buying it and thinks "yeah I better get that must be a thing I need" and another is the profiteers the ones who plan on selling such items later. It's one thing to get rid of excess stock you had because you be found you just didn't need that much and another to plan on buying on items taking away from others to sell back to them especially during such time when people are more vulnerable to that need of such product.

I also think there are a few types of hoarders; one of which are the panic buyers who are afraid of running out, another who sees others buying it and thinks "yeah I better get that must be a thing I need" and another is the profiteers the ones who plan on selling such items later. It's one thing to get rid of excess stock you had because you be found you just didn't need that much and another to plan on buying on items taking away from others to sell back to them especially during such time when people are more vulnerable to that need of such product.

Yes to all of this.

I agree with the 6-month timeframe If you will reasonably use non-perishables products within six months, it's sensible to buy them: toilet paper, cleaners, toothpaste, etc. I'll add these thoughts:
- Right now I think it even makes sense. Any of us could fall ill next week and be unable to go out. Life would be just a little easier if you have plenty of shampoo and frozen lasagnas.
- It does make sense "to buy several" when it comes to hard-to-find items. Yeast, for example.

It turns into hoarding if any of these apply:
- You're buying (or storing) things that have no real use to your family.
- You're buying so much that it becomes a storage issue.
- You have enough, but you're obsessing about the need for more-more-more.
- You're clearing the shelves, leaving other people "without".
- You're buying so much that it puts you in financial danger.

I think this is a really good definition: stocking up is having a reasonable supply to get you thru a defined period. Hoarding is buying as much as you can with no reasonable plan for using it.
Agreed. No one will use 9743 bottles of salad dressing.

I'm probably buying a "refill" of TP about 2 weeks before I ordinarily would. And, 100% I buy the Kirkland branded TP, so it comes in a 30 roll pack. The only way it comes. Before Covid, I'd have 20-30% of that left before I'd buy another. Now, I have maybe 50-60% of that package left before I buy another. I don't think of that as "hoarding." Just keeping my "regular" supply, plus a bit more. And, instead of purchasing flour in 10 pound bag, I now buy in a 25 pound bag. I use it all. And, it's not like I have a "spare" 25 pound bag laying unopened. I'm about 1/3 done with my 25 pound bag. When another 1/3 vanishes, I'll restock the 25 pounder.

Before Covid, I'd have 20-30% of that left before I'd buy another. Now, I have maybe 50-60% of that package left before I buy another.

Yep. This is how it starts. It's a slippery slope from there. I remember when I was still just a "50-60% of the package left" user. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter