What do you REFUSE to spend money on?

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
Hi, I like the scrimp thread and thought I'd go the other way.

SO! What do you refuse to spend money on at WDW?

Hmmm.....I really can't think of anything at Disney I wouldn't be willling to buy. Except maybe original Disney artwork or something I truly can't afford.

I agree with Mickeyluver...unless I really couldn't afford it, I cannot think of anything I wouldn't buy! LOL

I now have to say that I refuse to spend money on PACKAGES..I have only gone to WDW with a package deal before...but since finding this board..I realize that I can have the vacation I want..without all the frills that I won't use.
While I love the idea of having meals prepaid..I now realize that this is definitely NOT the way to go...
I also refuse to pay for small souviners...

You didn't ask but....what I will however pay for..... special tees/sweatshirts that my dd's and myself for that matter can where for quite some time to come....and I will always buy the refillable mugs............

I refuse to buy bottled water...
I seek out counter service stands and get a cup of tap water instead!

AIRFARE!! I LIVE EXACTLY OPPISITE ACROSS THE COUNTRY. AIRFARE IS THE BANE TO A BUDGE TRIP TO WDW!!

I agree, I definitely refuse to spend money on packages too! And refuse to spend a penny ever again at the 50's Prime Time Café

Wanda

Souveniers!!! We go too often to buy them!! We do go over to the Belz Outlet to get our Disney clothing however... those aren't really Souveniers however, more like necessary wardrobe apparel....

Second thing, this sounds bad I know, but FOOD... We have a 1 bedroom villa at one of the DVC resorts & we eat all breakfasts in & most dinners... we do eat lunch out however.... I refuse to spend 150.00 a day on food, which is what we used to do, NO MORE I say!!!

Wow--can I ask what happened at the 50's Prime Time Cafe? We're going there in April, and now you have got my curiousity going...

Tiffany
WDW College Program 1990

Tiffany, it is just that a few years ago my experience was that it is an irritating, obnoxious and extremely noisy place! I was dying to get out of there way before I even ordered my meal. We went in with some friends who spoke the moon about the place, and I can't say enough times how much I disagree.

Too noisy and the food was too expensive. I believe I said before that the year we went, (98, I believe) the kiddie menu had Spaghettios for almost $7.00! My kids wanted to order it, so I inquired, feeling sure that they had to be some form of restaurant-made spaghettis but no, the waiter confirmed that it was a plain can of Spaghettios! I heard that they don't sell them anymore. Maybe Disney learned that the guests aren't such airheads after all.

I like fun places, don't get me wrong. But eating in that place felt like I was eating my lunch in front of all the residents at the dog pound! The 50's Prime Time is something I am not motivated to visit again.

Wanda

Well, when you put it that way Wanda, then I won't spend another penny at Whispering Canyon Cafe for dinner!

I also refuse to spend money on bottled water. I just can't justify paying the price they charge for water! We take our own water bottles in with us and refill them from the water fountains or get free ice water to refill them.

I refuse to buy anything at the grocery store (with milk as the exception) without it being on sale and with a coupon. (this includes toiletries, cleaning supplies, and meats, drinks, snacks)

(Usually not any coupons for milk)

My grocery bill dropped from $65 a week to $25/30 a week for four people
(And we still eat well!)

I refuse to pay full price for anything. I really am starting to hate restaurants as well, since the markup margin is just so high.. I could make it at home, with more healthier ingredients at about 1/4 of the cost.

I also refuse to pay full price for any item of clothing as well. Our budget dropped consdierably on this as well.

Please tell me why you refuse on the Packages. Are they all a waste? Can you buy the "unlimited park hopper passes" once you get there for cheaper. I used a code and got what I thought was a good deal on them, $300 cheaper than they were listed for in the mousesavers.com site. I am very curious about this before I put my deposit down. Thanks for any info.

We don't buy anything to carry into the park. Such as a mister, etc. We don't like to carry anymore than we have to.

I agree with you all on the bottled water. We carried our water bottles with us and refilled them when we needed to.

One other thing I'll never pay for at Disney is to have my hair braided. I can't believe the prices they are charging. I read that someone paid $50 dollars for braids only in the front of their child's head. I pay between $50 -70 for a full head of crown rows and that includes the hair.

Cindy B, we are also big coupon shoppers, only I take it one step further, I have to have a coupon & it should be on sale... We spend very little on groceries these days!

Christi, We would need more information on your package... most of the time (okay, all of the time) you can get the radically discounted hotel rates & then get an AP if you are going back in 11 months (stretching your AP over 2 trips)... or you can get park hoppers that never expire that come with plus options... But every once in a while a package is offered that is at least worth the money they are asking....

Christi, the thing about the packages is how infuriated you'll become when you return from your trip and learn to figure out how much you overspent!! And what is worse, you were charged hundreds of dollars extra that neither the travel agent nor Disney will itemize for you. Depending on the size of the party, that can add up to more than $1,000!

So, you are just as capable to call CRO, book on your own, learn about the best park ticket deals (AP, HP, HP+, LOS), book Mears transportation, a limo or a car, your plane tickets directly with the airline and whatever else is offered under "flex features" for hundreds of dollars less than you'd be charged otherwise. Oh, and that "collectible pin" they give you, goes for under $4.00 in the auction sites.

No personal attacks to travel agents, but they have to make a buck in a technological world where the Internet provides you everything at a much lower cost. If you feel too insecure about booking on your own, then try an agent. But those commissions may make your wallet cry later...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter