What do you REFUSE to spend money on?

Schlepp your own bags!:o (Did that help, Michelle?) :D I usually don't use the valet parking, either. A couple times, when visiting another resort... but not since Disney started charging for it:rolleyes: No counter service?:eek: Just think... all the $$$ you could save in all those tips.... why you could take another weekend at WDW;)

I'm beginning to get a little lightheaded!! I would agree with everything that everybody is saying while I'm sitting in my own home and shopping in my local store. Then.... something happens to me when you mention the word Disney!! I suddenly go from having no greater joy than to get a good deal on something to being willing to pay $2.50 several times a day for a bottled water. I try all of the themed restaurants, sometimes more than once. I drag my family to the character meals and freak when I see MICKEY!!!!!! I spend hundreds of dollars in World of Disney for souvies--something I'd NEVER do anyplace else. Of course maybe I should have seen it coming-I couldn't stand the internet and yet when I found these boards I found that several hours would pass and I would still be reading (and now posting:p .) So I guess I have to agree with the people at the top, there is probably nothing that I wouldn't spend money on when it comes to Disney. It probably has something to do with that sickness that's going around--Disneyitis!:earsboy:

I have been reading this thread for the past couple of days and I keep trying to think of something at Disney that I have refused to spend money on and the only thing I can think of is those little bags that you fill up with colored stones, they sell them at FW and also Adventureland. It is something like $6.00 for a small bag of stones. That is the only thing I have ever refused to spend money on while at WDW and that was years ago! I guess I have Disneyitis also! :D Those light up toys I love, especailly the ones with the arms (for lack of a better word) that stick out and light up and twirl around, I think they are really neat especailly at nighttime during Fantasmic. My problem is my kids are too old to want them so I have no one to buy one for while in WDW but we have brought them back as presents for little kids we know and the kids love them!

DeeP, I'm so glad you replied because I was feeling bad that I liked those light up toys too. Now I can come out of the closet. We Jersey girls will stand alone and spin our lights :p . -C

Hello, my name is Patti, and my children get the light-up toys, too. There, I've stood up and said it! I found the strength to make this admission because I was born and raised in New Jersey, too, in Montclair (Essex County)!!! LOL!!!!!

I refuse to spend money on bottled water, too. Usually I don't buy soda either, but throw a can or two in the backpack. This trip, however, we are going without kids, and won't have a stroller to store crap, so I will probably buy soda more frequently.

Generally, the only souvenirs I buy are ones we can wear on our backs. We avoid most of the stuffed toys and knick-knack stuff.

Patti

My sister is a travel agent & she said it is less expensive to plan your trip "ala carte" than to do it via a package. We always do it that way. May only save a couple hundred dollars, but that might be the difference between 1 or 2 more nights at the World. If you don't want the hassle go through an agent, otherwise, do it yourself.

I refuse to spend big money on tiny hotel rooms. Renting a house for a week for less money than a tiny hotel room is what I call a vacation !

Of course bottled water! I bought those bottle covers with the straps and they hook on to my fannie pack. We buy a case of bottled water at Walmart,freeze what we need overnight,and slip the covers over in the mornning and off we go. A case usually last us all week. Another thing I refuse to do is go to a sit down restuarant for breakfast. Sizzler's has a great breakfast buffet for 2.99 pp. That's cheaper than cooking your own. As for the lights we have bought them at Disney on Ice and the circus so I just pack them in the kids backpacks and make sure we bring extra batteries. But I will buy is an anniversary souvenir and I can't wait to get my 100 years T-shirt. :D

My family never once bought a single Mickey Bar or Dole Whip. We never bought bottled water - brought some in the backpack and they give ice water in a cup to you for free at the counter service places.

I won't buy something I can get at my local Disney Store. Bought t-shirts and sweatshirts there before our trip. Although I did look at CBR for a shirt I couldn't live without and never found it.

I would never spend money for a turkey leg - DH and DSs will though.

Didn't buy DD the Ariel and Erik wedding dolls at MGM - She still brings that up and she's only 3.

Bottled water..

Most sit-down meals within the parks.

Over-priced souveniers in the parks.

Package vacation deals..

And here comes the one that's going to get me flamed......................

Staying on Disney property.. No way I can justify that cost when I can stay off-site (within 5 minutes of the parks) for 12 days in an entire 2 bedroom cottage for less than it would cost me for a cramped hotel room on-site for 5 days.. And the on-site transportation is no incentive for me at all because I prefer to have a rental car so I can do other things while I'm in Florida as well..

Another vote for bottled water! We learned about 5 trips ago to buy the Britta filter bottles at Target before we left. We fill them with ice and tap water from the hotel each morning. We did each get a water bottle cover which does help to keep the H2O colder, but as far as taste, they work GREAT. The filters are good for a long time, altho generally we replace the filters for each trip at a cost of about $4 each.

teddi
:earsgirl:

because I can totally relate about staying off-site C.Ann; when going to Disney years now we have found no reason to squeeze virtually an entire family in a cramped onsite room for over a week's time when there are so many other accomodations right next door with double or three times the space with loads of amenities for literally hundreds of dollars less.

We enjoy being off property too while exploring all the other exciting and interesting attractions as well as restaurants/shopping around this vicinity. I figure if we are going to spend a lot of money just to travel there with plane tickets alone and renting a car on the side especially we might as well get our money's worth by seeing as much as possible on vacation; also we transoprt ourselves to WDW without any problems at all.

Also, the downtime we receive after leaving the hustle and bustle of parks behind after touring in the midst of large crowds all day long while returning to a tranquil spacious setting is priceless. Additionally, being close to a grocer/drug store/super-walmart in order for picking up food, drinks, and snacks at such an ease is truly a convenience on all our trips. I can't imagine myself going to WDW any other way. So, you aren't alone in not being able to justify being onsite in a smaller sized resort room when so much other excellent places exist practically within arms reach.

JMHO

because I can totally relate about staying off-site C.Ann; when going to Disney years now we have found no reason to squeeze virtually an entire family in a cramped onsite room for over a week's time when there are so many other accomodations right next door with double or three times the space with loads of amenities for literally hundreds of dollars less.

We enjoy being off property too while exploring all the other exciting and interesting attractions as well as restaurants/shopping around this vicinity. I figure if we are going to spend a lot of money just to travel there with plane tickets alone and renting a car on the side especially we might as well get our money's worth by seeing as much as possible on vacation; also we transoprt ourselves to WDW without any problems at all.

Also, the downtime we receive after leaving the hustle and bustle of parks behind after touring in the midst of large crowds all day long while returning to a tranquil spacious setting is priceless. Additionally, being close to a grocer/drug store/super-walmart in order for picking up food, drinks, and snacks at such an ease is truly a convenience on all our trips. I can't imagine myself going to WDW any other way. So, you aren't alone in not being able to justify being onsite in a smaller sized resort room when so much other excellent places exist practically within arms reach.

JMHO

Phew! Thought sure I was going to get barbecued for my thoughts on staying off-site.. :)

I don't get down there very often so when I do I want to stay as LONG as possible and that's just not feasible when you stay on Disney property - unless of course you have tons of extra money..

Also, when we were there with our 3-year-old granddaughter last September we found that she really needed - and wanted - the "down time" away from the constant Disney hype..

Maybe someday if I hit the lottery I'll try one of the resorts for a short stint but until then it's off-site all the way for this cheapskate - ha! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter