What if Disney banned unvaccinated children from their hotels and parks?

Kids are banned from public school where I live. At the beginning of the school year we must show an annual physical with vaccinations before a child can step foot into class. I once got a call from the school nurse, mid school year, because one of my kids was missing their second shot of something. If he didnt get it within 2 weeks he would not be allowed at school. I called the Dr and explained I needed an appt within 2 weeks for the shot. When we got to the Dr office and I told the story again, he said "They should be teaching kids, not trying to play Dr". Apparently there was no need for this second shot until his next physical 7 months later.

A couple of years ago, I got a letter from the school stating my child was "obese". My daughter said everyone had to go to the nurses office and get weighed (public school!). My daughter was about 5'7: at the time and weighed 120. Hardly "obese". My daughter was very upset she was labeled that. Luckily I convinced her she wasnt. This could have led to an eating disorder.

My daughter 2 years ago.... The letter came about a month before our Disney trip. Could she lose 5 lbs? Sure, but obese ???

View attachment 391029

The school is following the laws of your state. We also send letters and make phone calls about vaccinations because it is in the state laws. Some states, and yours must be one of them, also require schools to weigh and measure students. Schools have no control of the vaccination rules set by the state so if your doctor didn't like the fact the school required the shot he should take it up with the state law makers or the state board of education.

Now the weighing of kids in school is just ridiculous. The law makers were really over stepping with these rules. Your DD is just fine and doesn't need to lose even 5 pounds.

I got whooping cough at 40. ( Per Dr. your childhood shot can wear off). I swear had I been old and frail or an infant I would have died. Worse 3 months of my life. Bruised a few ribs. Try breathing through a cough attack with that!!! I totally understood how those infants in that outbreak a few years ago died.
This is why all adults should stay up to date with their booster shot for this illness. If you are not current with the pertussis vaccine, you are a real threat to babies who are not fully vaccinated yet.

How many of you have kept up with your immunization booster shots over the years? They aren’t good for life, I forget the schedule but some need to be redone every 10-15 years.

I have my titers checked every few years, the only thing I needed a booster on was chicken pox and tetnus (which gets on schedule anyway)

How many of you have kept up with your immunization booster shots over the years? They aren’t good for life, I forget the schedule but some need to be redone every 10-15 years.

Sadly this isn't something that has come up in our doctor appointments, but should. I occasionally see signage about shingles vaccinations, but those are aimed at seniors not those who are younger.

I did get a third MMR booster when I entered grad school in 2005 (so I guess I'm due for another). The state that I attended grad school in required 3 doses, the state of CA only required two doses when I began school in 1984.

FYI- I was able to obtain my immunization record from contacting the school district that I graduated high school from. So this might be an option for some people. This was in 2005 and I graduated in 1997.

--- You also get a tetanus booster following child birth. So I'm probably due for a booster as I'm not having anymore kids!

Kids are banned from public school where I live. At the beginning of the school year we must show an annual physical with vaccinations before a child can step foot into class. I once got a call from the school nurse, mid school year, because one of my kids was missing their second shot of something. If he didnt get it within 2 weeks he would not be allowed at school. I called the Dr and explained I needed an appt within 2 weeks for the shot. When we got to the Dr office and I told the story again, he said "They should be teaching kids, not trying to play Dr". Apparently there was no need for this second shot until his next physical 7 months later.

A couple of years ago, I got a letter from the school stating my child was "obese". My daughter said everyone had to go to the nurses office and get weighed (public school!). My daughter was about 5'7: at the time and weighed 120. Hardly "obese". My daughter was very upset she was labeled that. Luckily I convinced her she wasnt. This could have led to an eating disorder.

My daughter 2 years ago.... The letter came about a month before our Disney trip. Could she lose 5 lbs? Sure, but obese ???

View attachment 391029
That must’ve been an error, those stats would put your dd in the low area of normal weight, she’d have to be 200 to be considered obese.

There's no longer any pretending measles, which had been completely eradicated in North America, has now returned, perhaps permanently. What a shame. :sad2:

Personally, I don't discount parents concerns out of hand; we were very cautious and purposeful in vaccinating our DS. When he was that age (in the late '90s), there were prominent discussions about the potential danger of mercury-based preservatives and various ajuvants in vaccines. We paid OOP to have him vaccinated from single-dose vials without thimerisol, and he received only one vaccine at a time, on a schedule supervised by our doctor, in order to minimize the risks of reaction as much as possible. Given the information we had at the time, I feel our approach was reasonable and I'd do the same again, but not vaccinating was never a consideration.

:scratchin One thing I do wonder about though is that there are many people in my generation (born in the '60s) that contracted measles (called "red measles"), mumps and/or rubella (called "German measles"). While it was always a serious concern, measles was certainly not considered a death sentence. I personally don't know of anyone who suffered grave effects. Has the virus mutated somehow to make it more virulent?
I had a great uncle who was permanently blind. Granted that was before the 60s, but it shows that it has been a long standing concern. You not knowing anyone who was impacted doesn't mean it isn't or wasn't dangerous.

I got whooping cough at 40. ( Per Dr. your childhood shot can wear off). I swear had I been old and frail or an infant I would have died. Worse 3 months of my life. Bruised a few ribs. Try breathing through a cough attack with that!!! I totally understood how those infants in that outbreak a few years ago died.
I made my in-laws show me that they had their boosters before I gave birth to my first child.

I've kept up. I've had the same medical insurance basically since I was in college, so it is in my records.

I did too. It was awful and I was sick for a long time, bruised ribs and all. I didn’t know at the time that those vaccines wear off, I was 34 at the time and was vaccinated as a child. My husband and I just went to get boosters of MMR since I asked the doctor if that can wear off too and was told it can. I’m not taking any chances of getting something else awful!

That must’ve been an error, those stats would put your dd in the low area of normal weight, she’d have to be 200 to be considered obese.

It is about how risk of obesity is calculated for children. It isn't an objective standard, as it is for adults. Instead, it attempts to be predictive... It is based on percentiles, with children in the top 15% of the range for their age and sex deemed obese (or in the letter our county uses, "at risk for obesity") even if their weight is in a normal range for their height. Which can be a particularly unforgiving calculation for girls who hit puberty earlier or are more "endowed" than average for their ages.

Rockland County, NY has an extremely large Orthodox religious population which are probably not vaccinating. That probably accounts for why they have had 150 measles cases. While the County can't stop people from not vaccinating for religious beliefs, if these people are law abiding citizens, then the ban is likely an effort to keep them from gathering & spreading the disease.

View attachment 391029
No reason to loose even 5 lbs

Error or not, it was right there in black and white (actually I think red/pink and white). Wish I kept it, but shredded it. All the kids were comparing their "BMI" and my daughter was mortified to show hers with the word "Obese" on it. Kids can be cruel. I dont understand, especially as its mandatory to pass in a physical, why the school would waste learning time weighing the kids? (Then sticking a label on them) Her Dr does that.

It is about how risk of obesity is calculated for children. It isn't an objective standard, as it is for adults. Instead, it attempts to be predictive... It is based on percentiles, with children in the top 15% of the range for their age and sex deemed obese (or in the letter our county uses, "at risk for obesity") even if their weight is in a normal range for their height. Which can be a particularly unforgiving calculation for girls who hit puberty earlier or are more "endowed" than average for their ages.

Yes, at 5'7" she was quite tall for a 7th grade girl. Her height should not make her obese. She is in 9th now, 5'9" (130lbs). Pretty sure she has stopped growing..or at least wont grow more than 1 more inch max. She is on the volleyball, basketball and tennis teams at HS, and takes hip hop 2x per week. she is running around/dancing 2 - 3 hours per day, 7 days per week. I dont see her losing any weight because she definitely wont be exercising more and doubtful she will change her eating habits. So if 130lbs is considered obese, so be it.

I have my titers checked every few years, the only thing I needed a booster on was chicken pox and tetnus (which gets on schedule anyway)

I remember getting an MMR booster after I gave birth to one of my children. My titers were checked and even though I had been immunized as a child, I needed a booster for protection.

We've had a terrible outbreak of measles in the Portland/Vancouver area. It's mostly in the Russian community, but it affects schools, hospitals, etc. I went for a routine check at the hospital where my ObGyn is located and all children were banned due to the outbreak. Since pregnant women and newborns come and go in the office, it's too risky to have children present, even those who have been immunized. The health department has been reporting the stats of our outbreak. Children with 1 MMR dose have gotten measles. I don't believe that they've reported a case of the measles in anyone with 2 doses.

I had my blood titres checked as part of a job orientation years ago, and I was not immune to measles even though as a child I had gotten all of my shots. I got a booster, no problem, but I wonder how many people think they're protected when they're not?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter