What if Disney banned unvaccinated children from their hotels and parks?

Now with the ban in Rockland, how exactly are they going to see if someone has had shots?

Error or not, it was right there in black and white (actually I think red/pink and white). Wish I kept it, but shredded it. All the kids were comparing their "BMI" and my daughter was mortified to show hers with the word "Obese" on it. Kids can be cruel. I dont understand, especially as its mandatory to pass in a physical, why the school would waste learning time weighing the kids? (Then sticking a label on them) Her Dr does that.

Yes, at 5'7" she was quite tall for a 7th grade girl. Her height should not make her obese. She is in 9th now, 5'9" (130lbs). Pretty sure she has stopped growing..or at least wont grow more than 1 more inch max. She is on the volleyball, basketball and tennis teams at HS, and takes hip hop 2x per week. she is running around/dancing 2 - 3 hours per day, 7 days per week. I dont see her losing any weight because she definitely wont be exercising more and doubtful she will change her eating habits. So if 130lbs is considered obese, so be it.

I have no idea what height/weight chart they are using to label her "obese" but there's no planet on which this is remotely true. At 5'7" and 120 pounds, she'd have a BMI of less than 20. Not obese. Not even close. "Healthy weight" on ANY chart.

Ridiculous.

And, just so you know, the best evidence is that eating disorders are a genetic condition. No matter how many "triggers" your kid is exposed to (such as ridiculous comments about being "obese", etc), they can't develop an eating disorder unless they have the genetic makeup. Hopefully, your daughter does not. :-)

My daughter had restrictive anorexia at 13. The objective we struggled for YEARS to get to was anything over 120 pounds (and she was also 5'7"). So, I find it utterly laughable that anyone would suggest that this weight on a girl of that height was in any way inappropriate. My daughter could never, and would never, be labeled as "overweight" at that weight and height. I'd be so angry if the school did that!

Which vaccines?

Well, based on responses the MMR is one that people update as needed and I’m honestly not sure what others! Tetanus is probably one. I know I have had boosters within the last 12 years, my current family doctor administered them and I started seeing her while pregnant with my 11.5 year old. I am going to mention it next time I see her and see if I need updating.

Now with the ban in Rockland, how exactly are they going to see if someone has had shots?

They aren't checking. They are hoping people will be do the right thing and obey the ban. Religious parents were getting around the vaccinations. But the County hopes they will at least keep their kids away from others.

And at what age would you no longer be asked for proof? I was fully vaccinated but I would have no idea where to get those records as my pediatrician has been dead for years, as well as the general practitioner who I saw afterwards. I don’t recall any medical records following me when I moved to Florida. But I am sure there could be some of my generation who were not vaccinated even though it was more rare back then.

I would think that schools would be one of the few places that could ban non vaccinated people because they are one of the few places that already have that info on file. If a community was having an epidemic, they could request all people stay home, but that hasn’t always worked well as someone always thinks they’re special and it doesn’t apply to them.

Adults without access to records could simply get a titer test to check for antibody levels. I understand it's often required for medical workers who might come into contact with infected patients, as well as universities that require vaccination. It's also supposedly better because it could uncover if someone needs a booster.

My guess is the county health department (where you were vaccinated) has these records (or had). I have not clue how long they keep these records.

I live near a county border and for a while my kid's pediatrician was in another county. I do remember the standard form that was used (even when I was a kid going to private school) was a state form. Not sure if it was reported to anyone though.

Error or not, it was right there in black and white (actually I think red/pink and white). Wish I kept it, but shredded it. All the kids were comparing their "BMI" and my daughter was mortified to show hers with the word "Obese" on it. Kids can be cruel. I dont understand, especially as its mandatory to pass in a physical, why the school would waste learning time weighing the kids? (Then sticking a label on them) Her Dr does that.

It does seem ridiculous, but I'll bet it is fulfilling a government requirement of some kind. Our schools don't do it, but we have a similar form letter that is issued at sports physicals or regular checkups, and since it is the same form no matter where we go (pediatrician's office, "minute clinic", county health center), I'm sure it is a state or county mandate. My daughter, who wears a size 3 jeans but inherited my double Ds, gets it every year. Fortunately she's secure enough that it never bothered her, but it also never happened at school where her peers would see the "warning".

Well, based on responses the MMR is one that people update as needed and I’m honestly not sure what others! Tetanus is probably one. I know I have had boosters within the last 12 years, my current family doctor administered them and I started seeing her while pregnant with my 11.5 year old. I am going to mention it next time I see her and see if I need updating.

I looked up which ones most likely needed to be updated. I am surprised that it isn't something my doctor has ever discussed.

I have no idea what height/weight chart they are using to label her "obese" but there's no planet on which this is remotely true. At 5'7" and 120 pounds, she'd have a BMI of less than 20. Not obese. Not even close. "Healthy weight" on ANY chart.

Ridiculous.

And, just so you know, the best evidence is that eating disorders are a genetic condition. No matter how many "triggers" your kid is exposed to (such as ridiculous comments about being "obese", etc), they can't develop an eating disorder unless they have the genetic makeup. Hopefully, your daughter does not. :-)

My daughter had restrictive anorexia at 13. The objective we struggled for YEARS to get to was anything over 120 pounds (and she was also 5'7"). So, I find it utterly laughable that anyone would suggest that this weight on a girl of that height was in any way inappropriate. My daughter could never, and would never, be labeled as "overweight" at that weight and height. I'd be so angry if the school did that!

I was pretty T'd! Im pretty sure it was a computer who labeled her as obese. No person in particular. Just what the computer spit out when her stats were entered.

I did not know about the eating disorders being genetic. Thank you for that information. One less thing for me to worry about, as nobody in our family history has had an issue, as far as I know.

Im sorry to hear about your daughter. I hope she is on a better path or has overcome her illness.

I had a great uncle who was permanently blind. Granted that was before the 60s, but it shows that it has been a long standing concern. You not knowing anyone who was impacted doesn't mean it isn't or wasn't dangerous.
{{sigh}} Of course it doesn't. What side do you think I'm arguing here? :sad2:

I looked up which ones most likely needed to be updated. I am surprised that it isn't something my doctor has ever discussed.
:scratchin Nor has any of ours - hmmm. DS, DH and I all go to different primary care physicians but I think I'll see to it that we all make the necessary inquiries. The last vaccination I can remember having (aside from the flu shot) was many years ago - the public health nurse that administered DS's pertussis shot insisted I take a tetanus booster.

:scratchin Nor has any of ours - hmmm. DS, DH and I all go to different primary care physicians but I think I'll see to it that we all make the necessary inquiries. The last vaccination I can remember having (aside from the flu shot) was many years ago - the public health nurse that administered DS's pertussis shot insisted I take a tetanus booster.

I always assumed that my immunity was forever, probably like alot of adults out there do. There is always talk about babies and kids getting vaccines but you don't see info out there for adults making sure theirs are up to date.
I'm due for a check-up so I'm going to bring it up with my doctor and get what I need.

Since 2013 MA has required schools to take BMI measurements in grades 1,4,7, and 10. So the school is wasting learning time weighing kids because they are required to do so. MA has been requiring schools to weigh and measure kids since the 1950s. Ridiculous, but it's required by the state so the schools must do it.

I personally don't know of anyone who suffered grave effects. Has the virus mutated somehow to make it more virulent?
I was born in the 40s. Unfortunately I do know of several women of my gneration who contracted measles while pregnant. Their children were born with severe birth defects.

I wonder how many of these non-faxers are going to moan and groan and post at sites like GoFundme when their grandkids are born with serious birth defects.

Since 2013 MA has required schools to take BMI measurements in grades 1,4,7, and 10. So the school is wasting learning time weighing kids because they are required to do so. MA has been requiring schools to weigh and measure kids since the 1950s. Ridiculous, but it's required by the state so the schools must do it.
I wish schools had weighed students back in my day. We were poor and never owned a scale. Nor did I ever go to a doctor. I have no idea what I weighed until I was grown. Unfortunately there are still a lot of poor kids out there.

I was pretty T'd! Im pretty sure it was a computer who labeled her as obese. No person in particular. Just what the computer spit out when her stats were entered.

I did not know about the eating disorders being genetic. Thank you for that information. One less thing for me to worry about, as nobody in our family history has had an issue, as far as I know.

Im sorry to hear about your daughter. I hope she is on a better path or has overcome her illness.

She's doing great. It was a long slog through hell, but she has been recovered for a couple of years now.

If a computer spit out that information, I'm pretty sure someone entered data incorrectly....like typing the wrong height, age or weight. Entering any of that information incorrectly could result in a bad calculation. :-) Which, IMO, is why schools should not do this stuff. Only doctors.

I've fought this battle for a while now....for obvious reasons. While it is true that you must have the "right" genetic make up to develop an eating disorder, you can't tell by looking who that might be....and those sorts of comments can be triggering for those who DO have the makeup. And, it's so unnecessary!

I've always had my records transferred from one office to another whenever I've changed primary physicians (and my mother did the same when i was a kid), so my doctor's office knows when I am due for any type of booster and I start getting emails in advance of when I should be going in for them.

I got bronchitis every winter. I got it bad. One year, my cough was so bad, I broke a rib.

Oh my gosh, I feel for you. I went through several years in my teens/early 20s when I, too, got bronchitis every year, and one year I dislocated a rib from coughing. It was awful, so I can just imagine how much worse it must have been with a broken rib. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter