What is appropriate Disney etiquette? Ms. Emily Post Advocates welcome….

Although there have been some "debates" shall we say, this is really a very good thread. I will add a few of my comments:

Tipping: I have never tipped housekeeping at any hotel, I didn't realize you were "supposed" to until I joined the DIS. I tip appropriately at restaurants, and for people bringing bags to our room, and I have even "added" tip money to the table when someone I am with still thinks $1 is an appropriate tip regardless of the bill :rolleyes:

Stopping in the middle of the row: I hate it when people do this! Usually we are directly behind the people that stop mid row, so everyone behind us is expecting us to keep moving. I usually just stop, look at the people and explain nicely that we need to move down to the end. Trust me, I would love nothing more than to sit down right next to you and be smack dab in the center too, but I also know that as soon as we sit down, a CM is going to make us get up and move down anyway, so why postpone the inevitable. I am also not climbing over someone who stopped mid row. Like someone else said, don't rush to the front in the holding room if you want to sit in the middle.

Airline seats: Ok, I think my biggest pet peeve is when people recline their seats on airplanes. I understand that it is "allowed" but it is just way too cramped as it is. Last year we flew to Orlando, and DD3 was in her car seat sleeping. The lady in front of us reclined her seat back so far she crushed DD's legs, and DD woke up screaming and confused...can't say I could blame her, but then people were looking at us like "shut your screaming kid up"....I would have taken her outside if I could have, honest :earseek: I tried my best to console her, but it would just be nice if people would think about the people behind them before deciding to recline.

Line jumpers: We simply don't let them by us. If you want to get by us, you better be prepared to work for it :rotfl:

Thanks to this thread, I will try to be extra courteous and tolerant of people that may not know any better :love1:

Meredith

How I long for the days when we had dress code guidelines that encouraged us to be polite! Growing up, we had play clothes and street clothes.

And don't tell me not to look if I don't like it! I won't know not to look until I look! I.E. wardrobe malfunction! Who could have avoided seeing that?

Carrie772 said:
How I long for the days when we had dress code guidelines that encouraged us to be polite!

I don't see the correlation. I've had more modestly dressed moms ram hard plastic strollers into my ankles than I ever had bikini clad or underwear showing teenagers.

My biggest gripe about people, anywhere, is they tend to forget others are human beings and that politeness is the lubrication in a society that is more prone to grind gears than to mesh them.

-Joe

thedisneymom said:
I have two children who have been taken to Disney since they were three years old. I have tried to teach them what I call the "Remember you are not at home but in a hotel rule". This means we whisper if we are outside any room or walking down the corridors of the hotel (inside or outside)-whether it is day or night. I always try to think of the baby napping in the afternoon or the person who likes to sleep late one day after a night at Pleasure Island or a few exhausting park days. Then there is always the adult or child who becomes ill and needs their rest. There must be others out there who do the same and perhaps some will will think this is a good idea and begin doing it. We also try not to scream or talk loudly in the room. I just wish others would do the same. My kids are older now and comment on how some adults talk so loud when it is so late . Yelling goodbye etc. Good manners can come in handy while on vacation. Please don't flame me, but I really have come across some rude people. I don"t mean the excited child who is at Disney for the first time and can"t possibly be quiet(that is to be expected)-been there too! :earboy2:

No flames here. :) I think that is a wonderful thing to teach your children. :goodvibes

jewellmmc said:
.I think it's absolutely horrible when you see a little girl in a bikini at the pool! It's not rude to us but she is a little girl! Why let her wear something so revealing?

I have a now 4 year old that wears a bikini, she also did last summer. It is the easiest thing to get off a wet child that waits til the last minute to go to the bathroom when she is having fun playing in the pool. Ever try to get a wet one piece off a child that has to go NOW, believe me it is not fun.

There are tasteful bikini's for young children, and nothing wrong with them.

Barb

Jana49 said:
To me, that stall is there for anyone to use, but is the obvious choice for those who HAVE to use that particular one. Just because you are HCed, you don't have a smaller bladder than me. I have to "go" just as badly as you.

Forgive the frankness, but I really must inject a little hard truth about this.

While it may take you a whole 30 seconds to dis-robe and get to "do your bizness", someone like me with arthritis, limited mobility, using a power chair, and only able to use a high seat commode found exclusively in handicap stalls... it takes 3 minutes or more to get to the same position.

Imagine trying to hold that full bladder while you struggle with navigating through a stall door, turning around to lock it, ditching your purse, coat, and other paraphenalia then finally getting to your clothes. Then you notice the previous stall user happily left a mess on the seat you must clean up. And oh by the way, the toilet paper is one of those huge all-on-one rolls placed under the grab bar meaning you must reach down then up under to pull out a piece of tissue paper to clean the seat. Finally you are able to tend to yourself.

Then imagine you make your way to a restroom with no line but find the only stall you can use is occupied by someone who thinks she can just zip in and out while no one waits. (Hey, they didn't see an obviously disabled person when they went in and assume just because it is busy with ablebodied people there can't possible be a disabled person needing a stall anytime soon. Ever hear of percentages?) So you sit and smile as you watch 3 or 4 people come in and out of stalls, tell the people entering the restroom behind you to just go ahead because you need to wait for that one stall. Do your best to stay out of the way as people trample over you from stalls to sinks and give you the evil eye for "blocking the path". Meanwhile you tell your bladder to just wait a few more minutes and beg it not to embarrass you like a preschooler.

Meanwhile the person in your awaiting stall takes advantage of all that space to put their numerous things back on, tie their shoelaces, restuff their shopping bags, etc. When they finally deign to exit, they see you and sometimes offer an apology (which of course you must accept due to common civility and completely ignoring the minor hell you just went through waiting and must further endure to finally relieve yourself) or they just slam the stall door behind them (not bothering to offer holding it for you while you drive in).

I've experienced all these things numerous times. Sometimes my bladder has not cooperated. I'm never rude to people, but I do wish they'd use that massive intelligence sometimes. Heck, opening my purse and paying my bill at checkout lines is a struggle. Why wouldn't they think using a bathroom is?

If you must use the HC stall, PLEASE PLEASE, be quick about it. Remember it is reserved for those who need it and is not "just another stall". And it wouldn't hurt to offer some little assistance to that person waiting not "in line" but waiting FOR YOU. Holding the stall door, pushing it closed while I lock it, helping me pull that toilet paper out of its hidden dispenser, all these things mean much more to me than an apology.

J;)

mom2kazkids said:
I have a now 4 year old that wears a bikini, she also did last summer. It is the easiest thing to get off a wet child that waits til the last minute to go to the bathroom when she is having fun playing in the pool. Ever try to get a wet one piece off a child that has to go NOW, believe me it is not fun.

There are tasteful bikini's for young children, and nothing wrong with them.

Barb

Barb, I totally agree. This is a child we are talking about. It is not like kids are running around in thongs. Geez Most children I see in public, or my children are in more what I would call a two piece than a real true bikini :rolleyes:

this only happened to me once at wdw, but i thought i'd mention it. I'm a bit wobbly when i walk sometimes, and i once had someone grab my arm to assist me in getting onto a ride (he was in the row behind us). only thing was, he didn't actually ASK me if i wanted his help (which i didn't). he didn't really hurt me, and i know he was only trying to be helpful, so i just politely said i'm okay, and please let go now, but i don't think others should grab people to help them without asking first.

Debi said:
Hi gang!

Just a reminder to keep this thread 'family friendly.' Although I love this topic and I wish it would have developed a lot earlier, please keep in mind that there are young DISers that read these boards, so please keep all posts appropriate. Also, please don't direct your comments to a specific poster; personal attacks and personal messages will not be allowed.

Personally, I agree with the bikini top post. Unless you're in a water park or swinning pool, wearing a bikini top in public is not appropriate.

Oh my god - I haven't even given this much thought...Do you think a tankini top and baggy capri pants okay to wear to the park? I found this great tankini set that comes with cute little pants - they are kind of tropical looking and I was thinking of wearing them at the Luau at the Poly? Do you think something like that would be okay?

djm99 said:
Oh I agree, I'm 5 feet even so I know what you are talking about. I've learned two things, 1. Try to get a place for the parade as early as humanly possible or 2. Position myself at the Train drop off. It sits so high and I've been lucky once to get right on the rail so no one was in front of me. I'm making that my annual parade stop. It was perfect!!!!

I too am a little over 5 feet tall and it has been impossible to see - I have thought of just asking taller people nicely if I could get ahead of them but not sure how that would work out since my fiance is 6 feet tall. :confused3

jodistar said:
Do you think something like that would be okay?

Honey, it's your vacation. Wear what you want. Other than bad shoes possibly showing up on badshoe.com, why should you worry what tens of thousands of strangers think?

What's a tankini?

-Joe

jmminarik said:
Honey, it's your vacation. Wear what you want. Other than bad shoes possibly showing up on badshoe.com, why should you worry what tens of thousands of strangers think?

What's a tankini?

-Joe

A tankini is a takeoff on the bikini - Only it covers flaws. The top part is like a tanktop and ends just above the belly button and the bottoms come in a couple of different varieties. :)

I never heard of badshoe.com - I will have to check that one out....I think uglydress.com is funny - I'm sure I'll love badshoe.

jodistar said:
A tankini is a takeoff on the bikini - Only it covers flaws..

Implying bikini's cover the assets? pirate:

I knew to what you were referring, but didn't know the name that went with it. My advice remains the same, lead your own life and have a good vacation. :)

-Joe, who joins the chorus calling for the redhead.

I agree with all the stuff about shouting and running in hotels, New Years Eve at DLP was awful for us with kids screaming til all hours, especially as I was very ill that night.

I have one thing to add to this thread. Please do not spit over the edge of the ferry that takes you from the parking lots to MK (or any boat for that matter.) It looks and sounds horrible and isn't a nice way for me and my group to begin or end our magical day in Disney.

This thread is a hoot!!! If people would follow the advice found in the bible ~ Do to others as you would want them to do to you ~ this world and "The World" would be a whole better place to live and visit! Lets all remember to be peaceable, show kindness and goodness to each other.

Remember that some grown-ups want pictures with the characters just as much as your child does (see below) so don't push your child in front of the adults. This has been done to me so many times!

LYMI!
;)

jmminarik said:
Implying bikini's cover the assets? pirate:

You got it! :)

I knew to what you were referring, but didn't know the name that went with it. My advice remains the same, lead your own life and have a good vacation. :)

Thanks - I can't wait to go back....I have another 8 months to go but I enjoy shopping here and there for it!

amwhitaker said:
Remember that some grown-ups want pictures with the characters just as much as your child does (see below) so don't push your child in front of the adults. This has been done to me so many times!

LYMI!
;)

::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes::

Just a quick addition to the suggestion of controlling your odor, whether it be body or cologne: cologne does not make an acceptable substitute for bathing! B.O. is bad enough, but B.O. with a heavy dose of cologne is even worse. Talk about double your displeasure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter