What is your city known for?

MonorailMan

<font color=red>Relatively Cheap Date, Dewars Alw
You know how there are things that certain cities are known for......or that "make them well-known"? Well, sometimes there are smaller, more not-so-known things that cities take pride in that also make them stand out. Here are some of the things for COWlumbus.......

--The first Wendy's restaurant was built here. (It was recently torn down due to poor management.) And the original CEO of the chain, Dave Thomas (R.I.P.), had his home here.

--The original Max & Erma's restaurant is here. (Although I think it's just a midwest, and possibly east coast chain.)

--The Nationwide Insurance headquarters is.....well......about 10 blocks away from where I'm sitting.

--The technology for the Xerox machine was created here.

--There is a full-sized replica of the Santa Maria on the outskirts of downtown on the Scioto River. During Halloween "ghost pirates" take over the ship. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

--As of a couple years ago the city was ranked as having the country's 4th largest gay population in the country. A few years ago we had over 25 gay bars.

What about your city? :cheer2:

aaaaahhhhhh, Savannah, what a great city, we are know for:

-First city in Georgia

-Savannah is called 'America's First Planned City' because Oglethorpe carefully organized the town into grids, with wide streets and 24 public squares. 21 of these squares were carefully preserved throughout the years and still exist today.

-In 2002, the American Institute of Parapsychology named Savannah, “America’s Most Haunted City.” Based on Savannah’s history of fires, plagues, wars and voodoo, they determined Savannah was the perfect place for supernatural activity.

-During the early days of the Colony, residents often stuffed and bounded their mattresses with the soft and bountiful Spanish Moss only to wake up irritated and itchy after the tiny bugs invaded their slumber. As a result, a common phrase emerged in Savannah, and it was – “Goodnight neighbor, sleep tight, and don’t let the bed bugs bite!”

-When the Colony of Georgia was founded in 1733; Catholics, lawyers and hard liquor were banned. But considering that Savannah is now home to the largest celebration in the South honoring St. Patrick (an Irish Catholic Saint) and is famous for the “To-Go Cup” (thanks to the city’s liberal view on cocktails to-go); Savannah has obviously dropped all bans created long ago

-Girl Scouts of the U.S.A. was founded in Savannah in 1912 by a Savannah woman named Juliette Gordon Low. Her childhood home now serves as the Girl Scouts’ National Headquarters.

-With several dozen degree programs, 23 majorfields of study, and more than 40 minor fields, the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) is the largest art school in the United States. It is also one of the best.

-Quite a few properties in the city enthusiastically market to the gay community, and there is one property that's gay-owned and -oriented, Under the Rainbow, a beautifully restored 1907 house in Savannah's Historic Thomas Square District.

I live in Aventura, Florida, which is between Miami and Fort Lauderdale, so I get two cities to boast about.

• Miami is the cruise capital of the world
  • We're known as the Gateway to Latin America
  • Fort Lauderdale has one of the largest gay communities in the country
  • South Beach - once a place where people came to die

Let's see....Toledo Ohio.

Glass capitol of the world. At one time home to Owens Illinois, Libby Owens Ford, and Owens Corning.

Also known as the Key to the Sea. If you look at a map of the great lakes area, it doesn't take long to figure out it's a lot cheaper to unload boats in Toledo and put the merchandise on a train or truck, than to ship it all the way around Michigan to get to the rest of the Midwest. The only problem with this.....the city is full of train tracks!

Lately....well quite frankly for the past few decades, the economy in that area of the country has taken it's toll. But the residents of Toledo are very proud of three things, and they make sure they remain state of the art!

The Toledo Zoo, the Toledo Art Museum, and Cedar Point.

Oh and thanks to MASH, Toledo is famous for Tony Packo's hot dogs!

If you are in the area, all three are well deserving of a day trip! :thumbsup2

I currently live in the Orlando area, not really famous for much.......:lmao:

Wow, well, alot could be said of the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex...so I'll list a few things, and I'm sure someone else will chime in...

Location of JFK's death
Fair Park and the Cotton Bowl
Dallas Cowboys
Southfork
Ft. Worth Stockyards
Ft. Worth Botanical Gardens
HQ to Texas Instruments; Exxon/Mobil; Susan G. Komen for the Cure
Home to more shopping centers per capita than any other city in the US

Well I grew up in North Lauderdale, a suburb of Fort Lauderdale.

Now I live in Winter Haven, FL. It's home to the now closed (again) Cypress Gardens Adventure Park, and is also the hometown of Olympic gold medalist Kenneth Brokenburr.

Belles_waterfall-700509.jpg

Brokenburr_Ken.JPG

Don't forget the B-52's (one of Wally's faves) is originally from Savannah. :thumbsup2

Um......what's the deal with South Beach? I thought people went to Detroit to die. :confused3 :rotfl2:

Mike, no matter how badly you want Cedar Point to be in Toledo, it's still an hour and a half away. ;)

ConcK, why do I get the feeling you had something to do with the production of those gowns? :rolleyes1

Hmmm, the things that Dallas Texas are known for:

The Kennedy Assassination on November 22, 1963
Home to more Fortune 500 companies than any other city in the nation.
Is the fourth largest metro in the nation. It's home to almost 7 million people and is only smaller than new york, los angeles, and chicago.
Home to the original Six Flags.
It is also home to the original Neiman Marcus.

Dallas is known for having a big Ego. :)

I don't know much more then that.

Mike, no matter how badly you want Cedar Point to be in Toledo, it's still an hour and a half away.

45 minutes max! Dear lord how slow do you drive? And yes, Cedar Point is actually in Sandusky, but its a heck of a lot closer to Toledo than it is Orlando! :guilty:

I live in Allentown, PA. Just listen to Billy Joel's song. (Except that's really about our neighboring city, Bethlehem.)

We hid the Liberty Bell.
We have Dorney Park (in the Cedair Fair family of amusement parks)
Mack Trucks originated here (before they moved to the Carolinas)
Allentown in mentioned 3 times in the Broadway musical "42nd Street"​

If we include the local area:
Bethlehem Steel
Martin Guitars
Allen Organ
Crayola Crayons​
I may think of some more things later. Surprised I thought of this many things off the top of my head!!

Well, we live in Raleigh NC

Home of the Wright Bros, FIRST IN FLIGHT. We grow a little tobacco here, we're home to Andy Griffith and the Durham Bulls whom the movie BULL DURHAM was about. And that's if for me. I'll let Jeff & Jon finish up!! ;)

Syracuse, NY

We have a massive salt field, however our lakes are still fresh water, during the 1700's and 1800's salt mining was very large, and as part of the agreement with the local Indian nation, to this day the transfer of salt from public to the Indian government still exists.

We receive the most snow of any large city and have annually won the "Golden Snowball Award" for at least the past 5 - 10 years. We receive in excess of 10 feet of snow on average, every year, the snowiest on record is over 190" (15ft). To clear this snow, we own the largest snowplow, with a blade width of 32 Feet.

Home of the New York State Fair, the oldest running (and one of the largest) fair that is an 12 day event in August/September that celebrates agriculture, business, etc with close to 1,000,000 visitors annually.

Home of the first (and possibly still the only - not sure of this) upside down traffic light in our Irish section of town. The Green is on top and the Red light on the bottom.

Franklin Automobiles were designed and manufactured here in the early 20th century (headquarters).

Home of Wizard of Oz and L. Frank Baum. Each year, Chittenango, NY (20 minutes outside of Syracuse proper) hosts an annual Oz Festival.

Home to the recently named best Barbecue Shop by ABCs Good Morning America Poll, Dinosaur Barbeque. There are two other locations, Rochester, NY and NYC, NY.

ConcK, why do I get the feeling you had something to do with the production of those gowns? :rolleyes1

They were designed at park opening in 1936. The decade I was born in started with an 8, so unless it was a past life it was about 45 years too early for me!

Esther Williams filmed a few scenes at their Florida-shaped pool in the 50's and 60's though!

74042.jpg

St. Louis:

We are the home of the Gateway Arch, the tallest man made monument in the US.

St. Louis is known as the Gateway to the West and Home of the Blues.

We have the world headquarters for Anheuser Busch. :goodvibes

We hosted the 1904 World's Fair, and supposedly (though there is MUCH debate over the subjects) iced tea and the ice cream cone were invented there. The world may never know the truth...:confused3

We also hosted the first US Olympic Games in 1904.

Well, we live in Raleigh NC

Home of the Wright Bros, FIRST IN FLIGHT. We grow a little tobacco here, we're home to Andy Griffith and the Durham Bulls whom the movie BULL DURHAM was about. And that's if for me. I'll let Jeff & Jon finish up!! ;)

And to add to Soulmates...

On the other side of North Carolina...there is our hometown...Asheville, NC.

Asheville is located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina and is home of George and Edith Vanderbilt, Biltmore Estate. Also, the Blue Ridge Parkway runs through and is the home of the Asheville Tourist Baseball! Our downtown is made of art studios, local restuarants and other independent stores. Very neat and a great place to visit! Andie McDowell lives here too!

Peekskill NY

• The Facts of Life was based here
  • The Binney & Smith Company, now makers of Crayola started here in 1864
  • The Peekskill Riots of 1949
  • Actors Mel Gibson, Paul Reubens and Stanley Tucci were born in Peekskill
  • Basketball stars Elton Brand, Hilton Armstrong and Mookie Jones are Peekskill High School graduates
  • We are a stone's throw away from Indian Point which is the nuclear power plant.

Pittsburgh
Well, at one time we were the worlds largest steel producer, Now we have lost all of that and found our footing in medicine and education. Now in part due to that we hosted the G20 Summit.

Also!
Steelers 6 time superbowl champs!!!! We have the Terrible Towel!
Penguins Stanley Cup !!!! Both champs in the same year!
We also have the Pirates, the worst baseball team ever! LOL
And we can't forget the Pittsburgh Passion!

The city, we have 3 rivers and with that we have more bridges then Venice!

We also are the birthplace of Andy Warhol, and now have a great musuem.
Our inclines, primanti sandwiches,Perry Como, Donny Iris, Chistina Aguilera, Heinz Ketchup, Carnegie, Westinghouse, Mellon, Rachel Carson, Mr Rogers!!, Micheal Keaton,Shirley jones (who just had lunch with my mom) Sharon Stone.

Movies...Groundhog day, Boys on the side, FLASHDANCE!!! Night of the living dead

Ok thats off the top of my head!

Home to the largest in-land ship builder, it is actually in Jeffersonville, IN. but that is close to Louisville

Home to the Kentucky Derby, the longest running horse race in the country, and the first leg of the Tripple Crown

Home to the Louisville Slugger, and the largest baseball bat in the world.
LouisvilleSluggerMuseum.jpg

Louisville has the nation’s largest urban municipal forest – the 6,000 acre Jefferson Memorial Forest in south Louisville.

Zachary Taylor (1784-1850), 12th President of the U.S., grew up in Louisville and is buried in Zachary Taylor National Cemetery.

The University of Louisville, founded in 1798, is the oldest city-supported college in the United States.

Built in 1914, the Belle of Louisville is the oldest operating Mississippi-style sternwheeler steamboat in existence today.

The Hot Brown originated at The Brown Hotel in downtown Louisville in the 1900s. The open-faced turkey and bacon sandwich is topped with a rich cheese sauce.

Modjeskas is a candy treat made of marshmallow dipped in liquid caramel that was created and made in Louisville by Anton Busath in the 1870's.

The Cheeseburger originated at Kaelin's Restaurant on Newburg Road. In 1934, Margaret Kaelin's husband asked her to put a slice of American cheese on his hamburger and the legend was born.

"Happy Birthday to You" was written by sisters Mildred and Patty Hill in their Louisville kindergarten class. Originally called "Good Morning to You," it was later changed to this tradition birthday anthem.

Jennie Carter Benedict, a Louisville restaurateur, created Benedictine, a spread made of cucumbers and cream cheese.

Home of the Champ Muhammad Ali

The Old Louisville neighborhood near downtown is the largest Victorian neighborhood in America.

I live in a small town of less than 10,000 people.

In 1987, some piece of xxxx murdered a woman and her two young kids. 22 years later, when I tell people where I'm from, the response is still, "Oh, isn't there were that murder was?"

The only other thing we are known for is a bunch of antique stores.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter