What not to do at Disney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, yeah. My kids are 7, 4, and 1. We're not going to carry around 5 ($50-$70 worth of) refillable mugs to have one for each person. That's ridiculous.

It's really a shame you are teaching your children to lie, cheat and steal. If you cant afford to follow the rules you should probably stay home.

If Disney wanted it another way, they'd put a date on the mug and make you show your room key to refill it or something like that.

Yeah, blame Disney itself, because you obviously can't count on your guests to read, or to follow the rules without someone forcing them to.:rolleyes:

That is like saying no store should have merchandise out on the shelves, because that is just asking people to steal. "If they really cared, they would keep their stuff locked up.":sad2:

Yeah, blame Disney itself, because you obviously can't count on your guests to read, or to follow the rules without someone forcing them to.:rolleyes:

That is like saying no store should have merchandise out on the shelves, because that is just asking people to steal. "If they really cared, they would keep their stuff locked up.":sad2:

:thumbsup2

It's really a shame you are teaching your children to lie, cheat and steal. If you cant afford to follow the rules you should probably stay home.

It's a real shame that Disboard rules prohibit me from replying like I'd like to. Yes, I suppose that we're the only family who has ever shared a drink with their kids. :sad2: I'm obviously failing them by teaching them to share, teaching them ecology, and teaching them about economics (a lesson that 80% of America probably wishes they had had right about now).

Maybe I should go with DH's proposed curriculum of "The Mouse is Evil and Must Be Avoided." :eek:

p.s. None of the signs that I have found online have specified "one mug per person."

guys let's not get this thread locked. There a many threads on this subject to play "point/counterpoint" Let's not bring it here.

Thanks.:thumbsup2

Oh, blow. I said I had never noticed that wording on any of the signs when I was down there. I'm still not going to deny any member of my family a sip of lemonade from MY cup if they ask. :sad2:

Still, they obviously aren't serious about enforcing it. It would be as simple as requiring you to show your room key before walking out with your mug. Or as complicated as this: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2010/05/22/patent-no-refillable-mugs/

I still don't like the idea of having to buy all of those mugs. So wasteful and toxic to the planet. I already have a whole cabinet of mugs that I need to thin. I came back from our Virginia vacation with two more that I will more than likely send to Good Will. (Remember, I'm a horrible person.) How many others go right into the trash? Presuming I go by an earlier poster's recommendation and purchase one mug for each of us for each trip, that's at least 5 mugs per year. We've been to Disney at least once a year since 2005, sometimes twice, although we've added children during that time. We'd already be at almost 30 mugs when we really only need one. (I'll *asterisk* this and say that we bought our first refillable mug on our last trip, so we have NOT been using the same mug year after year, as healthy for the planet as that may be.) My parents go 3 or 4 times per year. Does a retired couple really need to accumulate 8 mugs per year?

p.s. What if you're not a resort guest? What if you're a local who does a lot of business through the resorts, like the guy who drives the purple van? You'd never have a room key and you'd never have an end date to your current stay.

p.s. #2 I'm going to go back to my earlier controversy about not taking seats from children at Belle's Storytime. I noticed that MANY attractions at Busch Gardens had signs that stated that an adult must be accompanied by a guest under 54" to enjoy the attraction. Perfect! And I didn't see a single grown-up moaning about how they paid their ticket price and should be able to enjoy the little hot air balloons or dragon boats, etc., the same as any child...

Oh, blow. I said I had never noticed that wording on any of the signs when I was down there. I'm still not going to deny any member of my family a sip of lemonade from MY cup if they ask. :sad2:

Still, they obviously aren't serious about enforcing it. It would be as simple as requiring you to show your room key before walking out with your mug. Or as complicated as this: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2010/05/22/patent-no-refillable-mugs/

I still don't like the idea of having to buy all of those mugs. So wasteful and toxic to the planet. I already have a whole cabinet of mugs that I need to thin. I came back from our Virginia vacation with two more that I will more than likely send to Good Will. (Remember, I'm a horrible person.) How many others go right into the trash? Presuming I go by an earlier poster's recommendation and purchase one mug for each of us for each trip, that's at least 5 mugs per year. We've been to Disney at least once a year since 2005, sometimes twice, although we've added children during that time. We'd already be at almost 30 mugs when we really only need one. (I'll *asterisk* this and say that we bought our first refillable mug on our last trip, so we have NOT been using the same mug year after year, as healthy for the planet as that may be.) My parents go 3 or 4 times per year. Does a retired couple really need to accumulate 8 mugs per year?

p.s. What if you're not a resort guest? What if you're a local who does a lot of business through the resorts, like the guy who drives the purple van? You'd never have a room key and you'd never have an end date to your current stay.

p.s. #2 I'm going to go back to my earlier controversy about not taking seats from children at Belle's Storytime. I noticed that MANY attractions at Busch Gardens had signs that stated that an adult must be accompanied by a guest under 54" to enjoy the attraction. Perfect! And I didn't see a single grown-up moaning about how they paid their ticket price and should be able to enjoy the little hot air balloons or dragon boats, etc., the same as any child...

Come on. I think you need some kind of help. I've seen your rants in the storytime area. Please. My family pays for entry to Disney just like you. I can sit with my son anywhere I please as long as it doesnt break Disney's rules. Whatever. If this is how you feel it's pretty sad!

As far as the recent debate, I will say I think Disney should just go to the bar code sticker system. I have a HUGE cabinet full of Disney mugs and it isn't great for the environment. I'd love to take an old mug and just buy a new sticker if Disney went to that model. Until then I add to my stash o'plastic mugs. I just cleaned out my tupperware to make room for them since the ones from my most recent trip didn't fit in the mug cabinet!

As far as the recent debate, I will say I think Disney should just go to the bar code sticker system. I have a HUGE cabinet full of Disney mugs and it isn't great for the environment. I'd love to take an old mug and just buy a new sticker if Disney went to that model. Until then I add to my stash o'plastic mugs. I just cleaned out my tupperware to make room for them since the ones from my most recent trip didn't fit in the mug cabinet!

That would be a great idea Lulu! :yay:

Back to the ECV "thing" - my husband has PAD and has had by-pass surgery to replace clogged arteries in both legs. He can walk for a while but long distance walking causes his legs to swell and sting. WE rent the ECV for him to ride around the parks and he always parks it and we stand in the lines to ride the rides. We have gotten strange looks many times from people for doing this. He says he would feel guilty getting special perks for having to use it because there are many people who truly cannot walk short distances. They are very expensive to rent and I just can't see why people would rent them thinking they are going to get on the rides faster. If we truly did not need it we would not rent it! He only uses it to stand in lines if it is possible to ride through long venues and get off at the end to get on. I guess my point is that you cannot tell from looking at someone why they are using an ECV. We also rented one several years ago for my sister who had lung cancer and she was a true Disney World lover. She did not LOOK sick at the time we took her, but she died 2 months after. She would never have been able to enjoy the trip without the chair.

As far as sodas in reuseable cups are concerned, if Disney truly doesn't want people to reuse them, they should change the color/design every now and again on various days. Disney Corp. is not stupid, they know people are reusing the same cups.

As far as sharing with your kids, there is nothing wrong with that. It is not stealing. Most of us do not have an endless supply of money, even when drinks are not refillable, i often share a large soda with my kids due to cost savings.

that's a great idea, you should submit your idea to disney corporate.

As far as sodas in reuseable cups are concerned, if Disney truly doesn't want people to reuse them, they should change the color/design every now and again on various days. Disney Corp. is not stupid, they know people are reusing the same cups.

As far as sharing with your kids, there is nothing wrong with that. It is not stealing. Most of us do not have an endless supply of money, even when drinks are not refillable, i often share a large soda with my kids due to cost savings.

Sharing a drink that is not refillable is entirely different - you paid for a finite amount of soda and divided it however you wanted. It is like comparing sharing an a la carte meal (acceptable) and paying for a single buffet and having multiple people go up an eat (not acceptable).

Now, I do agree with your first point - it is clearly against WDW policy to reuse the mug, but they obviously don't think it is worth enforcing (likely it would cost them more to keep making new mugs than they feel they are losing through those that reuse them).

Let's not argue here, let's just discuss.

We as parents normally don't want our kids to drink a lot of soda, giving them a sip of our soda is nothing unusual. Disney knows this too. If they did not want parents to do this then they would discontinue the drinks.

Comparing it to eating out at a buffet is not a strong comparison at all as you are speaking of an entire meal, not just a drink.

Also, on the topic of plastic cups, Disney should go "green" with these cups as a lot of landfills will be filled due to the large number of people who buy drinks in these cups and eventually throw them out when they become worn looking.

We only spend one day at Disney, we don't drink sodas all day long, so my kids taking sips from my diet coke or diet pepsi or whatever they sell at Disney will not break Disney bank. For goodness sake, look at all of the free food Disney is giving away and people on this thread are arguing about a refill on a darn drink. lol.

We will not be on the free food plan at Disney, we will be one of the few who are actually paying for our food.

Sharing a drink that is not refillable is entirely different - you paid for a finite amount of soda and divided it however you wanted. It is like comparing sharing an a la carte meal (acceptable) and paying for a single buffet and having multiple people go up an eat (not acceptable).

Now, I do agree with your first point - it is clearly against WDW policy to reuse the mug, but they obviously don't think it is worth enforcing (likely it would cost them more to keep making new mugs than they feel they are losing through those that reuse them).

Not sure why it was "arguing" when I made a comment and "discussing" when you made a comment, but anyway....

I agree that Disney obviously doesn't care enough to enforce the rule (as I had stated). I don't agree that sharing a non refillable drink with your child is the same as sharing a refillable mug with your family. I agree that a meal is bigger/more expensive than a drink, but the analogy still holds, in my opinion.

Not that either of our opinions matter - clearly it isn't important enough to WDW to police and I sure as heck am not going to notice/care what mugs someone else is using.

We as parents normally don't want our kids to drink a lot of soda, giving them a sip of our soda is nothing unusual. Disney knows this too. If they did not want parents to do this then they would discontinue the drinks.

Comparing it to eating out at a buffet is not a strong comparison at all as you are speaking of an entire meal, not just a drink.

Also, on the topic of plastic cups, Disney should go "green" with these cups as a lot of landfills will be filled due to the large number of people who buy drinks in these cups and eventually throw them out when they become worn looking.

We only spend one day at Disney, we don't drink sodas all day long, so my kids taking sips from my diet coke or diet pepsi or whatever they sell at Disney will not break Disney bank. For goodness sake, look at all of the free food Disney is giving away and people on this thread are arguing about a refill on a darn drink. lol.

We will not be on the free food plan at Disney, we will be one of the few who are actually paying for our food.

We go to Disney once or twice a year for at least a week. We've never had free dining or used any other discount. We pay for our meals. Luckily we are going during a time of free dining. Nice crack: "We will be one of the few who are actually paying for our food":)

Yes, a perfect idea!! And they should be available in a variety of designs so each member of the family can pick their favourite. I hate that the mugs all look the same (or only have slight differences), makes it harder to remember which kid had which cup... then they fight :headache: Not to mention the fact that it's very frustrating paying all that money for cups that all look alike. If they're different, then everyone has a unique momento.

I did not say you were arguing, I just wanted to preface what I was saying to avoid any arguments against what I was say :)

The only solution to the drinks is to have Disney get rid of the refillable drinks. The soda only costs them pennies literally, as I have worked in restaurants and know that they make a ton of money on drinks, I am sure that is why they offer refillable drinks.

Honestly, until these threads were started I never payed enough attn. to know that a drink could be refillable :) lol

Not sure why it was "arguing" when I made a comment and "discussing" when you made a comment, but anyway....

I agree that Disney obviously doesn't care enough to enforce the rule (as I had stated). I don't agree that sharing a non refillable drink with your child is the same as sharing a refillable mug with your family. I agree that a meal is bigger/more expensive than a drink, but the analogy still holds, in my opinion.

Not that either of our opinions matter - clearly it isn't important enough to WDW to police and I sure as heck am not going to notice/care what mugs someone else is using.

Most buffets will charge you if they see you giving bites of your food to someone who didn't purchase a buffet meal. So no, that is not comparing a whole meal to a sip. It is comparing a bite to a sip. Not saying that I think someone letting a child take a drink is stealing, but the bite comparison does hold up under scrutiny.

If we don't want to get into fights on this thread and get it locked, how about we all don't post things that get around or circumvent Disney rules as tips and things that we feel justified in doing? Just as I don't want to see someone posting that they sneak their 4 year old in to Disney World for free, I don't want to hear how you ignore the signs and re-use your mugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter