What not to do at Disney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He hears and understands more than we realize because it could be days, weeks or months later, he'll say something that floors you.

There was this one man that kept staring at my son with disgust in The Plaza. He even repositioned himself in his chair so that his back was to my son. I went to use the restrooms and when I came back and walked past the man he said "in my country we drown children like that." I looked him dead in the eye and said "F U" (but used the whole words, not loudly and no children heard. It was just him and another man at his table.) and sat down. I held back anger and tears because had my husband heard that he would have gotten up and killed the man. I keep trying to forget it but once in a while I picture that ugly little man's face and my blood boils again.
my nephew is autistic and im one of the very few people he talks to. my hearts in my mouth and im shaking. thank god your husband didnt know and you showed real style. good on you and forget that clown. i genuinely believe that men like him will end up getting whats theirs.

The title of this thread is really misleading.

Perhaps they could change it to "What do you think about people breastfeeding in wheelchairs?" :woohoo:

It does seem like these are the two big issues here but if you read past posts there are actually pretty good advice and information on things "not to do" at WDW (and in general) Sometimes, I think I, and we, do things that seem like no big deal to us but to others it is disrespectful and even hurtful. Sometimes people don't realize what they are doing is wrong, and it needs to be pointed out (not just whether or not BF in public is OK, or not to lie and use a WC or ECV if you don't need it)

I must admit to one of my OWN bad behavior that I displayed at the end of one day at MK. The lines were RIDICULOUSLY long for the bus back to the resort (typical) :rolleyes1 and it seemed like we waited for ever when a woman in an ECV jumped the entire line to wait where the 'handicap' line was, she and her large party were allowed to board while the hundreds (well seemed like hundreds) of us waiting forever watched. I was so annoyed that they were allowed to basically cut the entire line that I said loudly "that's fair" looking back later that night at my actions I felt horrible. First, what is the big deal of one more group of people being ahead of me....we all still made it back to the hotel eventually. Second, there was no need for me to make that woman and her party uncomfortable just because I was annoyed. It is difficult enough to ride around the park in a WC or ECV where people cut you off, and stop short in front of you as if you are not there. If given a choice I am sure most, if not all, people who need these devices would rather walk and enjoy the parks as the masses do. I find it sad that some people would use these devices to purposefully jump lines or get better seating for shows and parades but I think this is not the norm. Basically, I learned from this experience to be more tolerant and respectful of others. :flower3:

He hears and understands more than we realize because it could be days, weeks or months later, he'll say something that floors you.

There was this one man that kept staring at my son with disgust in The Plaza. He even repositioned himself in his chair so that his back was to my son. I went to use the restrooms and when I came back and walked past the man he said "in my country we drown children like that." I looked him dead in the eye and said "F U" (but used the whole words, not loudly and no children heard. It was just him and another man at his table.) and sat down. I held back anger and tears because had my husband heard that he would have gotten up and killed the man. I keep trying to forget it but once in a while I picture that ugly little man's face and my blood boils again.

I think you did great in putting this horrible man in his place. I would have probably punched him & made a few comments about how I would like to rid the world of horrible people like him. You did much better in getting your point across.

Hi

I just wanted to step in on the wheelchair circling through family issue. My mother my father and myself all have severe mobility difficulties...we call all walk a little but not much...also pushing a chair helps with mobility and sitting in it all day gets hard on your tush so on occasion we have rented one chair/one ecv between us...we would switch out when we needed a rest from walking/stretch.

While I would like to believe it's true that guests in wheelchair lines have to wait the same amount of time - I know better - I saw this family that rotated the wheelchair amongst themselves throughout the day bypass myself, my wife, and hundreds of other guests at least 5 times in one day. And they experienced and left the ride/attraction before we ever got on!

Perhaps if you kept seeing them "at least 5 times in one day" they weren't as far ahead of you as you thought? My DD uses a WC (this is her PERSONAL, fuschia W/C she uses everywhere we go, which is HER size only) and while there have been times we were "moved ahead" of others to allow her/us on a ride, there have been just as many times we have had to wait as they accommodated her needs. We have waited in many lines for shows and rides. Two exceptionally long waits were Jungle Cruise and Turtle Talk with Crush (they forgot we were waiting for entry into the show).

Hi

I just wanted to step in on the wheelchair circling through family issue. My mother my father and myself all have severe mobility difficulties...we call all walk a little but not much...also pushing a chair helps with mobility and sitting in it all day gets hard on your tush so on occasion we have rented one chair/one ecv between us...we would switch out when we needed a rest from walking/stretch.

Exactly. I have bad fibromyalgia. I can walk (although with a cane much of the time -- I also have a bone chip in my ankle). If I walk or stand on my feet for extended periods, yes, I can do it. But I pay for it by a fibro flare that can last a week or more and often completely knock me off my feet. It can be so bad that even vicodin doesn't touch the pain. But I'm fine for short distances, strolling in the shops, etc. My SO has difficulty breathing sometimes and some health issues. They can't keep up with me on an ECV so they usually use one, too. They've gotten so uber expensive to rent at Disney that we have indeed actually "shared" one a few times. It's a moot point for us anymore because they finally got so stupidly expensive that it was cheaper for us to literally buy our own and have them for use elsewhere.

Just back from a 2 week stay and happy to report i only witnessed 3 incidents of those listed on all these pages..

1) A group of about 10 teens with one friend in a wheel chair and a GAC trying to get on Jungle cruise. When they were told that only a total of 6 could go, they complained about how renting the chair and waiting at Guest Services was such a waste of their time and money. I saw them many times in the next week.. without the wheelchair.

2) A couple of kids (7 to 10-ish) arguing over who got to ride int eh chair next, while the parents turned bright red and told them to be quiet or they wouldn't get it anymore and have to stand in lines.

3) A dad just absolulty going off on his entire family. Security swooped in and took him away, but he came back about 20 minutes later, hugs all around and the family went on their way.

4) At the resort, on my floor, a man was carted away strapped to a gurney. He was ranting and cursing. Security was ignoring his rant, and calmly telling him that he would have to pay for all the damages to the room, in cash, and that his wife and kids would be taken care off until he was capable of returning... it was weird...

Unfortunately, not a single bare ****ie anywhere :rotfl:

Just back as well. I noticed 2 Brazilian tour groups, extremely well behaved and respectful. I didn't notice anyone breastfeeding either, not that there's anything wrong with that, just that it is discussed so much, you think you'd see it around every corner. And no overly drunk guests. No huge blowouts or anything unusual.

I did notice about a dozen or so people smoking wherever they wanted, including a man with a huge stinky cigar on his balcony right above the BCV hot tub-ick!

Actually, I forgot one unusual thing- one bathroom stall (floor and seat) near Main Street was covered in blood. I have no idea how any woman did that. I looked for a custodial CM but didn't see one to report it. It was awful.

Its either between cursing at your child or having your child sitting in their diaper all day. Its hot for goodness sakes. Dont go mixing soggy diapers with sweat YUCKKY:scared1:

Just back from a 2 week stay and happy to report i only witnessed 3 incidents of those listed on all these pages..

1) A group of about 10 teens with one friend in a wheel chair and a GAC trying to get on Jungle cruise. When they were told that only a total of 6 could go, they complained about how renting the chair and waiting at Guest Services was such a waste of their time and money. I saw them many times in the next week.. without the wheelchair.

2) A couple of kids (7 to 10-ish) arguing over who got to ride int eh chair next, while the parents turned bright red and told them to be quiet or they wouldn't get it anymore and have to stand in lines.

3) A dad just absolulty going off on his entire family. Security swooped in and took him away, but he came back about 20 minutes later, hugs all around and the family went on their way.

4) At the resort, on my floor, a man was carted away strapped to a gurney. He was ranting and cursing. Security was ignoring his rant, and calmly telling him that he would have to pay for all the damages to the room, in cash, and that his wife and kids would be taken care off until he was capable of returning... it was weird...

Unfortunately, not a single bare ****ie anywhere :rotfl:

#1 that disgusts me that people would fake the need for a GAC!

#2 Ditto

#3 I can see getting upset at the kids if they are whinny and if it is hot and humid HOWEVER be the adult and understand that kids can get whinny and meltdown when tired and hot. What messege does that send to the kids...that it's ok to fly off the handle and rant? HATE seeing parents go overboard on the kids without taking a deep breath and taking a break. We usually plan on MANY breaks especially in the air-conditioned shops or on a park bench in the shade. One time during last years trip my DH and I were upset with each other (not even sure why now) but I walked away for a few minutes to re-coup and NOT fight in front of my daughter. Within 15 minutes we were happy and back to having Disney fun!

#4 Mental illness sucks.....not really sure what was going on there but that is scary!

Given that I am truly handicapped, it sickens me that those teenagers did that. This is why when fat people like me who are truly handicapped get stared at and people think we don't need our scooters.

I guess I was too busy having my own fun to notice who was in a chair and who wasn't. The only time I noticed was in TSM I thought it was neat how they had it set up to load and unload.

As for those using the ECV's I know how hard it is to manuver with a stroller and wouldn't want to be in your shoes. :sad2:

Every time you steal from Disney, their profits don't go down their prices increase. so you complaining that you can't afford the mugs and "have" to use the old mugs means that you are stealing from everyone around you who are using the correct mug.

Disney doesn't loose money on soda trust me. . . I RE USE MY MUG as long as its the same one they are selling..Its not stealing..I paid for it once, why should I pay for it again! They started selling the mugs as another way to make more money. They are more than aware that people re use mugs, if they are the same mugs that they are selling they can't really tell the differnce or prove that you didn't buy it on ur current trip. SO I have no bit of remorce for re using! More money to spend in the parks else where! I LOVE the Mouse..Just can't afford him as often as I'd like!

My biggest don't: PLEASE don't walk more than 2 or 3 people across.. It is so rude and people can't get passed you..

a few other don'ts: texting and walking..its almost as bad as texting and driving, your not watching where you're going, you slow way down and walk into people.

DON'T: talk on your cell phone SO LOUD the WHOLE time you are in line for a ride or show..Its bad enough we all have to wait, now I have to sit and listen to you personal phone call..no thank you

DO: have fun, you're in Disney, you went for the fun and magic, don't ruin it for other people by being mean and crabby..

and for goodness sake, if you're child is tired and crabby and just wants to be held ..DO IT..or stop and take a small PRIVATE BREAK, proving a point by letting them scream their heads off as they walk 6t feet behind you is super mean..and in my book it makes you a HUGE JERK!`

Having read the majority (but not all) of posts on this thread, I have learned to remind myself of a few things:

1. My kids (DD 19 and DD 13) have had wonderful times at WDW. We made it a point to ENJOY their excitement. But much of our enjoyment came from others. I try to repay by letting families and the disabled get the front row. I am 5'11" and can usually see. Small kids and people in wheelchairs usually can't if I am standing in front of them!

2. There is at least some wait for everything. People moving slowly in front of me (for whatever reason) really doesn't make my wait longer, it just gives us all some comfort room. Also, kids (and wives) need to use the "facilities" at the seemingly most inopportune times. If they need to get with their group who has moved ahead, I want to make that happen.

3. Families with young children are likely on one of their first, if not the first, trip to Disney. They can't wait for the magic and I won't try to deny them their fun.

4. CMs, like gate agents at the airport, have the toughest jobs. They are the front line with customers and the last recipient of information. CUT THEM SOME SLACK!

As a member of a Mardi Gras krewe in Louisiana, I can tell you that every rider on my float will throw to kids and the elderly WAY before throwing to the scantilly clad woman. Like Mardi Gras, Disney is FOR THE KID IN ALL OF US! Some of us have experienced (and want to continue to experience) the magic. For me, if I can spread a little "pixie dust" of my own to make someone else have just a tinier bit better day, then I have a GREAT day!

Never, EVER, underestimate the euphoria generated by GIVING a kind word, a smile or just a tiny bit of help.

I am 47 and will always be a kid at Disney because I know these joys!

Of course, I have my moments and found myself in the unenviable position of having to profusely apologize to a CM for behaving badly. The CM was very kind and understanding and forgave me (I did not raise my voice or use profanity, but was unreasonable none the less). I did not like eating that crow, and the taste will always remind me of the responsibility I have to my kids, wife, fellow travellers and Disney CMs to be decent, fair, understanding and, most importantly, a representative of the Disney Magic I carry with me every day![/QUO

YES!

Disney doesn't loose money on soda trust me. . . I RE USE MY MUG as long as its the same one they are selling..Its not stealing..I paid for it once, why should I pay for it again! They started selling the mugs as another way to make more money. They are more than aware that people re use mugs, if they are the same mugs that they are selling they can't really tell the differnce or prove that you didn't buy it on ur current trip. SO I have no bit of remorce for re using! More money to spend in the parks else where!

Actually it is stealing. There are signs posted by the mugs stating they are good during the trip in which your purchased them only. Pretty simple really. It is just a shame that Disney can't rely on their guests to be honest and follow that rule, instead of scamming them where they can.

So it isn't stealing because they can't prove you purchased the mug on a different trip? What kind of sense does that make? You are stealing it and you know you are.

Saying you use the money you save in the parks makes no difference. Following that twisted logic Disney should cut room rates in half, and then hope their guests spend that money in the parks.

I have a hard time reading what someone else says not to do when they set a poor example themselves. Stealing is never ok, no matter if it is "just" soda.

Actually it is stealing. There are signs posted by the mugs stating they are good during the trip in which your purchased them only. Pretty simple really. It is just a shame that Disney can't rely on their guests to be honest and follow that rule, instead of scamming them where they can.

So it isn't stealing because they can't prove you purchased the mug on a different trip? What kind of sense does that make? You are stealing it and you know you are.

Saying you use the money you save in the parks makes no difference. Following that twisted logic Disney should cut room rates in half, and then hope their guests spend that money in the parks.

I have a hard time reading what someone else says not to do when they set a poor example themselves. Stealing is never ok, no matter if it is "just" soda.

Maybe I just haven't paid close attention, but I've never seen ANYTHING posted about the refillable mugs being restricted to the current trip. (Although the signs I found when I googled seemed to indicate otherwise.) Point of fact, it goes into the owner's locker and gets reused during the current calendar year.

I was also surprised to read some people's interpretation that you can only fill it at the resort where you are staying. Not that I spend a lot of time traveling to other resorts to get my mug filled...

If Disney wanted it another way, they'd put a date on the mug and make you show your room key to refill it or something like that.

I suppose we're gaming the mouse by filling one mug for one person after another in our party. We just got back from Williamsburg, and they have a refillable mug. We must have filled that sucker two dozen times in two days, everywhere from the restaurants to the beverage stands to the visitor center. Busch Gardens also has a refillable cup but they charge (less than regular price) for refills.

Maybe I just haven't paid close attention, but I've never seen ANYTHING posted about the refillable mugs being restricted to the current trip. (Although the signs I found when I googled seemed to indicate otherwise.) Point of fact, it goes into the owner's locker and gets reused during the current calendar year.

I was also surprised to read some people's interpretation that you can only fill it at the resort where you are staying. Not that I spend a lot of time traveling to other resorts to get my mug filled...

If Disney wanted it another way, they'd put a date on the mug and make you show your room key to refill it or something like that.

I suppose we're gaming the mouse by filling one mug for one person after another in our party. We just got back from Williamsburg, and they have a refillable mug. We must have filled that sucker two dozen times in two days, everywhere from the restaurants to the beverage stands to the visitor center. Busch Gardens also has a refillable cup but they charge (less than regular price) for refills.

Um seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter