• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What would you do if this what if happened?

If this is your granddaughter's first WDW I would definitely recommend a MK resort and, if budget allows, consider the Poly or GF. The Poly is quite magical, IMHO. The theming is magnificent and the view of MK and the MK fireworks from the beach is spectacular. GF is also gorgeous and if your granddaughter is into princesses, it is the most "princessy" themed IMHO. They have wonderful dining options for young children - 1900 Park Fare character dining for both breakfast and dinner plus a very special children's tea. They are also opening a Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique in the resort this upcoming summer. Both the Poly and GF have wonderful splash pad areas for smaller children - Polynesian themed at Poly and Alice in Wonderland themed at GF. If budget does not allow either of these options, I would also consider WL. Again, a stunning resort with great dining options for young children - Whispering Canyon is a lot of fun and the new Storybook Dining offers dinner with Snow White and other characters. They also have a splash pad for younger children. If you stay at WL, it's also quite easy to walk or boat over to Ft. W for Hoop Dee Doo Revue (which is a ton of fun), the WDW stables to see the horses and go on pony rides, Chip and Dale's sing-a-long, plus a playground.

Edited to add: If you are planning a trip in September 2019 and then another 8 months later in May 2020, I would definitely think about how many days you will spend in the parks on both trips and then do the math to see if separate tickets or AP's would be more cost effective. As PP mentioned, along with the AP, you also receive Memory Maker plus dining, merchandise and resort discounts.
Thank you for the suggestions. So for our September trip we have Park Hopper tickets. We purchased a package through Dreams Unlimited Travel. Is it possible to change those tickets to Annual Passes?

Thank you for the suggestions. So for our September trip we have Park Hopper tickets. We purchased a package through Dreams Unlimited Travel. Is it possible to change those tickets to Annual Passes?

Yes. I am almost 100% positive.

One thing worth mentioning. For my darn spoiled daughter, this marks trip #7 (or more, I may have lost count).

For a first trip, park time will take priority, so make access to parks, especially MK, a priority over something like the pools at a hotel.

Yes, you can upgrade your tickets at any guest relations location at any point before the end of your trip. Don’t do it at MK it’s almost always busy there. If the budget allows I’m going to echo others and say the grand. Sometimes deals are available where the grand is cheaper than the pool. Took 4 and 7 yr old for their first Disney trip there and it was amazing. Having Cinderella and the Prince come out in the afternoon was magical. And the pool is no where near as crowded as the poly but still very nice.

our choice for our first visit (2X) with 2 sets of grandchildren (~ages 4 and 6) has been the CR or a 2 bedroom villa at BLT. We like the monorail through the building, the easy walk to/from the MK, monorail access to Epcot, boat ride to WL and FW (activities/Hoop Dee Doo and more), everything under one roof, monorail access to the Poly and GF, large comfortable rooms, great tower views of the MK area, watching the fireworks from our balcony (TPV) and easy walk to the MK bus stop for access to all other resorts (for dining/visiting).

Will you have a stroller for your six-year-old? Are you planning on staying late in the parks? I ask because we have stayed at the Contemporary both castle view and garden wing, and we loved the garden wing for the convenience. My kids could fall asleep in the stroller at MK and we didn’t have to wake them up until putting them in their beds back at the room. We got a first floor garden wing room which was even more convenient.

Will you have a stroller for your six-year-old? Are you planning on staying late in the parks? I ask because we have stayed at the Contemporary both castle view and garden wing, and we loved the garden wing for the convenience. My kids could fall asleep in the stroller at MK and we didn’t have to wake them up until putting them in their beds back at the room. We got a first floor garden wing room which was even more convenient.
Things I hadn’t considered since she has been out of a stroller for a couple years. She does a lot of hiking with her parents so probably has more stamina than Nana and Grandpa!
Keep the input coming as it all informs our decision!

My daughter,now 27 and has been going to Disney since age 5, requested that we stay at Wilderness Lodge (actually Boulder Ridge where we own). I have asked if she wants me to try and book another resort for our October trip but she said "no".
Any resort close to MK would be wonderful for a young child. I am taking my grandkids-ages 4,6,7 and 9- to Disney this June. We will be staying at Boulder Ridge. Close enough for the boat ride to MK. I think that the overall experience for them will be what they will remember most.

We love the WL. The parks are very stimulating for young children, so we like the resort to be more laid back to balance it out. The WL now also has a new splash area, and two pools. The casual food options at Roaring Forks and Geyser Point are very nice. Also, there is now the Snow White breakfast. It also has great transportation to MK -five minute bus ride or more relaxing boat ride. We usually took the bus in the morning and the boat ride back -a great way to unwind/transition from the parks. We also like the proximity to the campgrounds -fun to take the boat or bicycle over there to explore, and have dinner at Trail's End -one of the last expensive buffets on property- or take a hay wagon ride.

Well, I'm going to say POR - Port Orleans Riverside, in a Royal Room, of course!

What little girl wouldn't want to stay in a Royal room, and have fireworks to fall asleep to, and a magic carpet woven into the rug next to the bed? :)

It's not quite as spacious as a Deluxe, but you get the bonus of the water taxis to and from Disney Springs, there are horse drawn carriage rides in the evening (extra charge, but so lovely to take a ride along the riverside!) and POR has lots of kid-friendly pools (and you can swim & splash at POFQ next door, too!)

Saves a little money that you can then spend on a Princess Makeover at Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, and maybe even a special meal at Cinderella's Royal Table! Most of the time, we spend the least amount of time at the Resort - and more time in the Parks and at Disney Springs. Make memories, not hotel reservations :)

We adore the Poly! We have stayed there twice when my son was 4 and 4.5 at that time. He loved that the monorail came to the resort and we could hop right on it. Plus we all love 'Ohana for dinner and for breakfast. It really is a magical resort and the theming is top notch. This may sound silly, but the smell of the Poly is amazing! It always smells so wonderful and when you walk in and take a deep breath, you can relax and know you are on vacation. My husband and son love the pool and the slide. Very fun on a hot afternoon. We are going to stay at the CR in June since it has the monorail that goes right through it. Hope this helps! Let us know what you decide :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter