Wheelchair in lines/rides

pens4821

DIS Veteran
We will be in Disney in two months. My dad just had knee surgery and his other knee is bad. We will most likely get a wheelchair just to be safe so he doesn’t have to walk all day.

I’ve read that you just take your wheelchair in the line, then when you get to the ride they will take it to the exit for you. Just clarifying that is correct. Not sure if we will be taking it in the lines or not since he can walk. If not, can we just park it with stroller parking or is it better to just keep him in it through the line?

My other question is which rides you can just stay in the wheelchair. I see Jungle Cruise says you can, but not Pirates or Small World. I could’ve sworn that I’ve seen boats at SW that accommodate wheelchairs. Not sure about Pirates though. I don’t think he’d be able to ride Pirates or SW if he can’t stay in the chair because you go pretty far down in the seat, and it’ll be hard to get out.

The only other rides I see there being a little issue are rides like buzz, haunted mansion, Peter Pan, and nemo that have a moving walkway. I don’t necessarily think it’ll be a problem getting in/out, I just see more an issue after you get off and go from the moving walkway to the solid ground as you kind of have extra momentum going forward.

Any help with my questions or tips for a first time in a wheelchair are greatly appreciated.

We will be in Disney in two months. My dad just had knee surgery and his other knee is bad. We will most likely get a wheelchair just to be safe so he doesn’t have to walk all day.

I’ve read that you just take your wheelchair in the line, then when you get to the ride they will take it to the exit for you. Just clarifying that is correct. Not sure if we will be taking it in the lines or not since he can walk. If not, can we just park it with stroller parking or is it better to just keep him in it through the line?

My other question is which rides you can just stay in the wheelchair. I see Jungle Cruise says you can, but not Pirates or Small World. I could’ve sworn that I’ve seen boats at SW that accommodate wheelchairs. Not sure about Pirates though. I don’t think he’d be able to ride Pirates or SW if he can’t stay in the chair because you go pretty far down in the seat, and it’ll be hard to get out.

The only other rides I see there being a little issue are rides like buzz, haunted mansion, Peter Pan, and nemo that have a moving walkway. I don’t necessarily think it’ll be a problem getting in/out, I just see more an issue after you get off and go from the moving walkway to the solid ground as you kind of have extra momentum going forward.

Any help with my questions or tips for a first time in a wheelchair are greatly appreciated.

You are correct; virtually every queue at Disney World is "mainstreamed" meaning that your dad will just go through the line in his chair. (or rental scooter - might give him a bit more independence, and no one has to push; they can be rented from offsite vendors for about the same cost as a Disney wheelchair)

He has the option to park the chair, and walk through the line, or if that is too much walking, he can just take the chair all the way through the queue and then hand it off to a CM. One word of warning: if a CM says "Can you walk a short distance?" be sure that you ask them to show you how far they are talking about, since my "short distance" and their "short distance" are 2 completely different measurements!

Y'all aways have the option to park in stroller parking and walk a bit between rides - just don't be surprised if the chair has been moved; Cast Members are constantly working to keep the pathways clear and the "parking lot" organized.

Some rides you can stay in the chair - but Pirates is a definite exception. Jungle Cruise has a special boat, as does Small World, and there are a few other boat rides around that have special accommodations as well as information on queues, etc. - for that I will refer you to this post that our fearless leader @SueM in MN keeps pinned just for such an occasion. It has lots of answers for lots of your questions, so be sure to check it out.

Moving walkways will be dependent on balance and ability; that may be a question that only he can answer. Perhaps check with his medical team - especially his physician and physical therapist.

Moving walkways usually go at the same speed as the ride vehicle . The challenge is when the moving walkway ends. Think escalator or moving walkway in an airport. "Take small children (and others needing stability) by the hand..."

We have gotten on haunted at the exit , along with a few other people. They stopped the belt. So it can be done, but you might have to wait a few mins to get on.

Unless he is feeling very very good, I would always bring the chair into the line. You never know when that 20 min wait turns into 35 mins or longer. Also if you shown up at the entrance standing, there may be stairs that you don't expect and that would be hard.

I would also bring a folding cane. Sometimes a cane helps getting in and out of rides and is another point of stability.

And for whomever is pushing. I pushed my DH for several trips though disney. He was sort of like your dad, could walk some, walked at home, but couldn't handle disney. I bought padded bike gloves to protect my hands. Sometime people get blisters on their palms from pushing/holding onto the handles all day.

We have gotten on haunted at the exit , along with a few other people. They stopped the belt. So it can be done, but you might have to wait a few mins to get on.

Unless he is feeling very very good, I would always bring the chair into the line. You never know when that 20 min wait turns into 35 mins or longer. Also if you shown up at the entrance standing, there may be stairs that you don't expect and that would be hard.

I would also bring a folding cane. Sometimes a cane helps getting in and out of rides and is another point of stability.

And for whomever is pushing. I pushed my DH for several trips though disney. He was sort of like your dad, could walk some, walked at home, but couldn't handle disney. I bought padded bike gloves to protect my hands. Sometime people get blisters on their palms from pushing/holding onto the handles all day.
I second on the folding cane for support on and off rides. been there and done it

They can slow the walkway down for people who have trouble getting into and out of the ride vehicles. I'm pretty sure that the people mover and Peter Pan are the only exceptions.
this is correct. al thought my last few trips Peter Pan has stoped to load unload people. you can ask the CM at the ride entrance just be prepared for a no and grateful for a yes.

Beware if you ARE going to use a manual w/c that some queues are extremely long and uphill! There's no way I could push my 100-lb mom in a w/c through the first part of Flight of Passage. That queue even drains her battery a fair bit when she's using a scooter! There are a few others but escape me at the moment. And a note on Pirates, if you do use a scooter, be prepared to either transfer to one of the manual w/c at the right of the queue or walk. Scooters can't access the queue.

Just an idea, my future DIL is mobility impaired and took bungee cords and strapped her walker to the back of her scooter(she took her own) so when she parked the scooter, we were able to get the walker off and she could get on rides pretty easily using her walker. The only ride we had a real issue with was the people mover. I was surprised, they let DS carry her piggy back up!!! I can’t remember for the life of me what the issue was though.

Just an idea, my future DIL is mobility impaired and took bungee cords and strapped her walker to the back of her scooter(she took her own) so when she parked the scooter, we were able to get the walker off and she could get on rides pretty easily using her walker. The only ride we had a real issue with was the people mover. I was surprised, they let DS carry her piggy back up!!! I can’t remember for the life of me what the issue was though.
guessing it was because it has an uphill moving ramp that cannot be stopped.

I suggest keeping the wheelchair with you in lines, even if no one is in it. Sometimes a 10 minute wait becomes 30, and there is no way to go out to get the wheelchair if you need it. Also I second the idea of a scooter - those rental chairs are heavy by themselves, much less with people in them.

I think the moving ramp was not moving at the time, otherwise she probably would have been fine. She kept the scooter throughout the lines and only used the walker for transfers. She normally uses the walker all day but can’t do any distances.

Last edited:
guessing it was because it has an uphill moving ramp that cannot be stopped.
it can't be slowed or stopped during normal operations, but the attraction is sometimes running without speed ramps running.
I think the moving ramp was not moving at the time, otherwise she probably would have been fine. She kept the scooter throughout the lines and only used the walker for transfers. She normally uses the walker all day but can’t do any distances.
I have been there when the speed ramps are not running. They are somewhat slippery when they are still and I have seen someone fall going down - if they are not running, the CMs may not allow anyone with mobility concerns on

it can't be slowed or stopped during normal operations, but the attraction is sometimes running without speed ramps running.

I have been there when the speed ramps are not running. They are somewhat slippery when they are still and I have seen someone fall going down - if they are not running, the CMs may not allow anyone with mobility concerns on
Further comment about people mover. With my DH, coming off the ride, I go down first, when I get to the bottom and off the ramp, I turn around ready for DH.. My DH needs something/someone to hold onto for balance. He could walk several feet unaided, but not at any speed and people keep coming down the ramp.

They can slow the walkway down for people who have trouble getting into and out of the ride vehicles. I'm pretty sure that the people mover and Peter Pan are the only exceptions.
Yes, don’t be shy about asking the walkway to be slowed or stopped on most rides. And be ready to tell the exit CMs to slow or stop it as well, since most of the time they won’t know what happened at loading.

For Pirates, ask if they have a transfer device available… they should. It looks like steps that the top one is at wheelchair height and then the person swings their feet into the boat and bumps their butt down the “steps”… then you reverse the process getting out.

Jungle and IASW have wheelchair boats. Pretty sure the Mexico ride is also wheelchair accessible (we call it 3 Caballeros… what the heck is its real name, lol?😂 ) The Land had a wheelchair boat, too iirc. Not sure about Na’avi River ride over in AK/Pandora. But they should have the transfer device, if not.

Also many ride vehicles have an ADA (or transfer) car that the doorway opens wider to be able to get in and out of easier. Just ask at the loading area.

Keeping the wheelchair with you in line is a good idea, because then if the line takes longer than expected, or his pain meds wear off unexpectedly or whatever, he’ll have somewhere to sit… but it also signals to the CMs that he cannot do the stairs. And you’ll be directed to the wheelchair “lines” when needed, instead of realizing later that you were supposed to take a different route. (In all queues, keep your eyes peeled for signage showing a wheelchair and an arrow… they are themed, so sometimes not super obvious)
They will have the wheelchair waiting at the exit for you… it’s Disney Magic. (At least DGD was convinced of this… “how did Nana’s scooter get here?” We told her that Mickey’s friends take care of it for us. 😉)

I recommend always boarding so that you (or another adult) will always be able to get out ahead of Dad — that way you’ll be there to steady him as he exits. If you don’t see people getting out at the same place you load, and it’s not obvious from the ride car design… ask the CM “which side of the vehicle will we unload from?”

Here’s a planDisney article that might be helpful. There are quite a few others so search “planDisney wheelchair” on Google and you’ll find more info.

This article is specific to Disneyland, but the pictures give you an idea of the kinds of aids available to help.

Last edited:
Yes, don’t be shy about asking the walkway to be slowed or stopped on most rides. And be ready to tell the exit CMs to slow or stop it as well, since most of the time they won’t know what happened at loading.

For Pirates, ask if they have a transfer device available… they should. It looks like steps that the top one is at wheelchair height and then the person swings their feet into the boat and bumps their butt down the “steps”… then you reverse the process getting out.

Jungle and IASW have wheelchair boats. Pretty sure the Mexico ride is also wheelchair accessible (we call it 3 Caballeros… what the heck is its real name, lol?😂 ) The Land had a wheelchair boat, too iirc. Not sure about Na’avi River ride over in AK/Pandora. But they should have the transfer device, if not.

Also many ride vehicles have an ADA (or transfer) car that the doorway opens wider to be able to get in and out of easier. Just ask at the loading area.
The printed park maps for guests with disabilities includes 'transfer device available' for those that have them. It doesn't say which type, but CMs at the entrance can tell you.

We just call it 'the Mexico ride' but It's called Gran Fiesta Tour starring the 3 Caballeros. It has a wheelchair accessible boat that is very similar to Small World. Living With the
and still has a wheelchair accessible boat.
Navi River Ride doesn't have an accessible boat. It does have bump steps.

All shows have wheelchair spots. This is a quick list of rides with wheelchair accessible vehicles. My daughter has ridden in all of them. As long as the wheelchair is not oversized, it should fit. Standard ride attraction wheelchair size = 30 inches wide by 48 inches long.
MAgic Kingdom:
- Walt Disney World Railroad
- Magic Carpets of Aladdin
- Jungle Cruise
- Liberty Square Riverboat
- Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
- it’s a Small World
- Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
- Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin

EPCOT:
- Living With the Land
- Journey into Imagination with Figment
- The Seas with Nemo and Friends
- Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the Three Caballeros (Mexico ride)
- Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure

Hollywood Studio:
- Toy Story Mania

Animal Kingdom:
- Kilimanjaro Safari
- train to Rafiki’s Planet Watch

AVATAR FLIGHT OF PASSAGE doesn’t have a wheelchair accessible vehicle, but does have a transfer wheelchair that some people are able To use. Guests transfer to the transfer wheelchair backstage, then are brought to the ride vehicles. The seat of the transfer wheelchair slides forward to assist the guest the transfer to the ride vehicle seat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter