When Is The New Forum Going To Start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually so thankful the community board has the subforum - the routine division of the main board is now gone, and the community board feels like a community again. It's a pleasant place to visit at all times now.

But for those that need more color, they can frequent the other board. Win-win.

Not who you asked and not on that board…

But was it meant seriously? I thought it was tongue-in-cheek funny because it seems like it would be the truth.
No, it's a serious statement. If you state something as fact, don't be surprised when you are asked for a source. Choosing a source that isn't far in either direction might be better received (not definitely).

@ronandannette what did you find humorous about this statement?
It genuinely tickled :laughing: me. It's SO true about being challenged, however a lot of people don't ever produce what I'd consider compelling back-up for some of their more aggressive comments.

PS: I think if the reaction emojis had a roll-eyes choice, it could be used much more appropriately than the laughing one, which now comes with automatic suspicion of derision. Sometimes things are just funny. :wave2:

It genuinely tickled :laughing: me. It's SO true about being challenged, however a lot of people don't ever produce what I'd consider compelling back-up for some of their more aggressive comments.

PS: I think if the reaction emojis had a roll-eyes choice, it could be used much more appropriately than the laughing one, which now comes with automatic suspicion of derision. Sometimes things are just funny. :wave2:
I have asked for sources. Sometimes I get them, sometimes I don't. If posters are willing to go through the trouble in getting them, the least I can do is read them. If they don't, I move on and chalk it up to someone's opinion vs factual statement.

That's all part of the challenge. It doesn't hurt to ask when in doubt.

No, it's a serious statement. If you state something as fact, don't be surprised when you are asked for a source. Choosing a source that isn't far in either direction might be better received (not definitely).

I find that to be a nice unwritten 'rule' about the new board.

For the most part, people do try to understand where an opposing opinion is coming from and are respectful when they do not agree.

The threads have not devolved as quickly as controversial threads did on the regular boards.

I find that to be a nice unwritten 'rule' about the new board.

For the most part, people do try to understand where an opposing opinion is coming from and are respectful when they do not agree.

The threads have not devolved as quickly as controversial threads did on the regular boards.
:scratchin And interestingly, I think that's because on the CB, the deeper explanation and posting of certain resources was way out of line, so it was often just hit-and-run rhetoric. This new format does let us go back-and-forth better.

Well, the new board was my idea, so I take full responsibility for anything negative that happens. I knew it was a risk, and maybe I put too much faith in everyone to be civil, but I've also seen a decrease in “certain” types of reports from the Community Board. I'm happy that our members have a place to discuss/debate hot topics without disturbing the core values of DISboards. I also enjoy the flexibility of opt-in/opt-out and for me to remove people who can't follow my basic rules without infractions or bans.

Don't bash yourself, Corey.
I think it was a good idea & you took member input
before you created it.
As I said before, I like the new board because I can read
other people's opinions, whether or not I agree,
and for the most part it's civil discourse.

I have avoided some threads where my opinion would
most likely not be welcome, and I really don't want to
have any strong arguments as I wouldn't be changing anyone's mind.

I do think it's kind of sad that people here have
said they like certain DIS'ers and their opinions match theirs,
so that is why they joined the controversary board.
I think I have also seen similar opinions on the other board.

I, for one, avoid echo chambers.

before you created it.

Someone on the CT brought up a good point IMO. Let's say you and I are arguing/discussing something that we both believe in strongly (but on opposite sides). You're not going to convince me to change my mind and I'm not going to convince you. There are still two very good reasons to have the discussion...

* It could lead to better understanding of the other side's reasons/positions. Not that you agree with them, but at least you can see where their logic is.
* It could change the mind, or again just give insight to the "other side" of someone just reading, not participating in the discussion.

While I agree the CT has had some snark and some insults, they are the exception rather than the rule. Yes, conservatives are "outnumbered". But that's not the fault of anyone other than those who won't participate. Yes, you will be challenged on your statements. You can't just come in and say whatever you like and then complain if someone challenges you. I think that's a good thing.

@WebmasterCorey
I have also requested twice - and gotten confirmation e-mails that my request was received. January 26 and February 18. But I still don't seem to have access. Am I doing something wrong in the request??

@WebmasterCorey
I have also requested twice - and gotten confirmation e-mails that my request was received. January 26 and February 18. But I still don't seem to have access. Am I doing something wrong in the request??
What do you mean when you say you don't seem to have access? Are you clicking on the "Controversial Topics" subforum? And I'm surprised you were able to request twice. I thought 2nd requests were automatically blocked.

before you created it.

Where have you seen that? Granted, I’m not on every thread, but I don’t recall seeing anything like that here.
No joke. There have been some prolific nasty people on here. You know I'm (eksmama) pretty easy going, but good grief!

Did you just out yourself? Oops..

What do you mean when you say you don't seem to have access? Are you clicking on the "Controversial Topics" subforum? And I'm surprised you were able to request twice. I thought 2nd requests were automatically blocked.
Yes, clicking on Controversial Topics subforum. In the Community Board list, it says "Private" on the right side for that subforum. When I click on it, it says there are no threads and I have insufficient privileges. I tried but could not make a second request until I cleared my browsing data, thinking maybe there was some problem there, and then it let me make one more request.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter