Which Resort was One and Done for You?

I've only stayed at values, so I can only speak for them. Least favorite is Sports - never again. We were in the Home Run area, room was old and dark and dingy - it wasn't dirty,just really dark. Our hair dryers, charges etc. kept falling out of the outlets, we couldn't get the fridge cold enough, and people were smoking everywhere even though there were designated areas, even at the pool, without any CM saying something to them. Maybe they're better now since they are being refurbed.

For my kids it is PO Riverside. They seemed to like it while they were there. But we did a split stay and when we entered our YC room, they said we're not staying at Riverside ever again.

The ALL STARS, when I stayed there they just seemed so dirty. I was hesitant to take off my shoes. And you can hear every toilet flush. Coronado Springs, a long time ago, just had a room really far away and didn't like the food court. Finally Saratoga Springs, last time we stayed there our room was not ready until five and we were literally at the very end of the resort. Now that they are updating the rooms, I might try again, but really old dated rooms as well.

SSR for DW and I. In all fairness we made a SSR-rookie mistake - no rental car (we took ME from the airport). We were in a building FAR away from the lobby/food options and the boat ramp. 15 minute walk for ANYTHING. There was a bus stop nearby but for ADRs at other resorts we ended up taking Lyft all the time. A call to the service desk sometimes got a golf cart to come get us but tipping both ways added up. If they showed at all...

Never again at SSR for us. Stayed at CR, SoG and many of the DS hotels but our goal as new DVC members is to try to sample as many is the resorts as possible. Been to WDW maybe a dozen times over the years and we see something new every time.

SSR for us too. It's way too big. OKW is not one of my favorites either, but the low point requirement ropes us in once in a while.

I like the smaller resorts - BLT/Contemporary, Poly, VGF/GF, Wilderness lodge...basically MK area resorts. We have DVC, so we stay exclusively at DVC resorts.

AKL - While the theming is extremely well done it’s way too dark for our taste. Beds were rock hard.

and SSR - Too spread out and just meh.

YC is our hands down favorite. And while the rooms need some attention - I love the grounds at Caribbean Beach.

POP -room too small.
POR -too spread out, didn't care for theming. (We love POFQ though)

POR, never again. Stayed in the mansions, it was such a long walk to everything. The buses there were also terrible with the multiple stops and how crowded they get. We prefer POFQ.

also All star movies. Never again. We’re not value resort people in general but we didn’t like the room (preferred location) or the resort in general. We were there for less than 18 hours before we moved over to AKL.

I don't think we've stayed at any Disney resort that is a "never again." We've stayed at BC, YC, Poly, BWI, AKL, WL, POR, CSR, and AoA (LM). It really all depends on what we are looking for in the trip and the value proposition. For example, DD and I stayed at a Little Mermaid room in February. It was busier than what I prefer in the food court, but the room was cute and we enjoyed the Skyliner and the food options at the food court were plentiful. The room would have been too small for our entire family and I missed having a coffee maker. But, for a short, girls trip with a heavy focus on DHS and Epcot, and a desire to stay within a certain budget (many AP trips that year), it was a good choice.

All Star Movies. Sure it was cheap, but there was a reason it was cheap. Far away from almost everything and IIRC, we were the last resort to be dropped off at night. Plus our room was all the way in the back and it was a pretty decent walk to the main building. Plus the room left a lot to be desired. I know you get what you paid for but I still feel like I overpaid for what I got.

If I do value again, I'll try Pop because I've heard that's the best of all the values

Coronado. Got stuck in a room way around the lake which was a longgggggg way to schlep our luggage both ways. (Bell Services was not available either time) and we did not like the food court. Granted it was also a bit of a letdown after a week at BC Villas in a 1BR.
important point in here, if you ever do a split stay, go in ascending order or it will be a letdown every time!

Last edited:
While we have our favorites for sure, we don't necessarily have a "one and done:. We've stayed at BC, BW, Poly, AK and WL. Seems like everyone in my family has a favorite except DH (couldn't care less where he stays). I love WL - the theming and boat to MK. DD loves Poly and DS loves AK. We are happy to stay at any of these!

I am either super picky or a hotel snob, lol.
Coronado last year was a one and done for me and it solidified a whole list of things I will never do in the future.
No outdoor hallways
No internal bus systems, i.e. multiple bus stops at a resort
Which means, no mods or values.
No huge spread out resorts where you have to walk 10 minutes to go fill your mug.
I also don't want to ever stay at Y&B or BWI bc I live in Jersey, and why would I pay to go stay someplace that looks exactly like what I just left?

I almost always stay at AKL now. I actually like what most people complain about - that it's dark.

Contemporary -room was very nice with a lake view but the hotel itself felt like i was staying at the airport.
yacht club-again room was nice (renovated) and proximity to epcot was great but i missed the theming of other resorts (wilderness lodge poly grand)

Saratoga Springs was one and done for us. It was the 1st time we rented points and was all that was available.

Hi Rootskate: May I ask what you didn't like about SSR? I have been through it a few times and it always looked lovely, except it seems really big and probably confusing to navigate. Thanks:)

one and done is Caribbean Beach Resort. It was one thing after another... the room wasn't cleaned when we got to it - bed not made etc. Moved to another room (meanwhile our luggage still had not made it to the first or second room-it had been over 6 hrs) We went to the park and when we got back to the replacement room, our bags were still not there. Called and they were at the place where your check in and had no one available to get them. my husband walked down there to get them himself. The next morning, i was scooting my chair up to the table in the food court (under the chair) and i sliced my finger open on the metal. We have a medicine bag with bandages and such we keep in our backpacks but it was in the room. I went to the person at the counter int he food court area and he was so flippant and not helpful. We moved to POFQ. We loved POFQ - we are from LA also but the size of the resort is what we liked at the time. But that stay, we had ants in the room and a trail of them going across the bed nearest the door. The next trip at POFQ the smoking outside our room was awful. That was our last stay there.

We would probably go back to POFQ but since we bought DVC-we will probably not.

Contemporary -room was very nice with a lake view but the hotel itself felt like i was staying at the airport.
yacht club-again room was nice (renovated) and proximity to epcot was great but i missed the theming of other resorts (wilderness lodge poly grand)
I really don't like Yacht Club either. The smell makes me sick to my stomach. Now, I really love BCV. We stayed one night at Yacht Club and moved to AKL club level the next day. This was in 2017 right after the hurricane. Yacht club was packed and some people had dogs with them but I never heard them barking.

Don’t like the values.... made the mistake of adding one night there before a DVC stay because the flight was cheaper the night before. Had previously stayed there for a week and didn’t care for ASMo and thought we could tough it out for a night. The cheer competition going on at the time didn’t help either though. Now that we are DVC and just stayed at OKW, I think that is my DVC once and done.

I am either super picky or a hotel snob, lol.
Coronado last year was a one and done for me and it solidified a whole list of things I will never do in the future.
No outdoor hallways
No internal bus systems, i.e. multiple bus stops at a resort
Which means, no mods or values.
No huge spread out resorts where you have to walk 10 minutes to go fill your mug.
I also don't want to ever stay at Y&B or BWI bc I live in Jersey, and why would I pay to go stay someplace that looks exactly like what I just left?

I almost always stay at AKL now. I actually like what most people complain about - that it's dark.
I think the refurbished rooms at AKL are much lighter with all white on the bed, light flooring, and the addition of the Keurig helps :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter