Why do you live where you do?

It was a career move initailly, but we've been here 16 years and raised our kids and still like the community and the weather. Dry desert, so its very warm in summers and mild winters, 300 days of sunshine, 8" of rain a year and low humidity. Downside is the wind... but it's home and we're here until we retire.

I guess it started with being born here. Then always working and living within two hours of where I was born.

There are other states I would consider, but at this point family ties would be the main reason for not doing so.

Like others, I was born and raised here. We've talked about somewhere warmer, but I think we're here for the long haul since our families are here. I don't know if our kids will stay close or not, that could change our decision post-retirement.

Retired to Cape May NJ, because I love it here! Would probably be a snowbird, but DH does not want the responsibility of two houses. I am fine with that.

We live midway between my parents and our son and his wife. And we are having a grandchild in May. We built our house 16 years ago and when I leave for the last time, I will be toes up! We love our house and community.

ETA: My mom was born in their house and they were married in their house so I’m not far from my roots! My dad was born 7 or so miles away.

Born and raised in NYC like my parents before me. Husband also born and raised in Brooklyn. Both of us have good jobs here, and my elderly dad lives in town and needs care. My whole family is here.

Neither of us can drive so that’ll also keep us here until at least one us finally learns. (It’s kind of a NYer thing. My parents couldn’t drive either.)

My people live here ( family, friends, people from the old neighborhood, people who watched me grow up, people I dont like) but one thing is for sure they know me and get me. Now I would move but It would take something a lot more then weather to get me out of here

I have lived in the Houston area since I was 10 years old. Even went to college in town. I stay in a suburb of Houston because of cost of living and good schools. Housing in the nicer areas of Houston are out of the price range. Would like to move into the actual city but will probably have to wait until youngest is out of school and he doesn't start kindergarten until next year so we have a while.

I live where I do because it is home. Born and raised here. Lived in 4 houses in 62 years, all within a 6 mile radius of where I am now.

I married a woman who is an Air Force brat. She moved more times than she can remember before age 9. Then her parents divorced and her mom moved her here 52 years ago. They moved a lot once they arrived, as her mom went through a couple remarriages, etc. Because of that experience, she NEVER EVER EVER EVER wants to move again. We bought our house 36 years ago. It is our first and last house. 6 years ago we remodeled top to bottom and converted our family home into our retirement home.
We both work in an industry where moving across country is common. And we work with a lot of people who just can't seem to get anywhere financially because they are moving every 2 years. Just doesn't seem worth it to move for work.
And we both know many people who moved in retirement, and regretted it.

I was born in the metro area and love living here. I always joke there's 4 seasons they just don't always happen when they are 'supposed to' or you get the weeks where all make their appearances lol. I don't have an intention to move elsewhere either. I love visiting other places but I love living where I do.

Much the same here.

I've been open to move, there's just not been the right opportunity.

I don't, however, expect my kids to live here after college. I think they may have better opportunities elsewhere.

And I would be open to moving closer to where they might land.
I can’t see us ever moving. We lived in BR for a little while after Katrina & even that wasn’t home & everyone I know who moved is back here again.

Because of my husband’s job and my son still being in school. We will look at moving within the next 3-5 years.

Went on disability and couldn't afford to live on my own anymore, so I moved from Philly to New Jersey to live with relatives because they had the room. Small town life, I *loathe* it.

Our kids are fourth generation, we love it here, except COL. People who grew up here either made it back, or want to but can’t afford it. We have no more family here except the kids, and we will decide where to go based on where they land. We do have a lot of local friends though.

Moved here for a job in 1997.

We have been happy in this area for the last 22 years. I don't think we will stay here until we die, but until our daughter is in college (in 2026) I don't see us moving anywhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter