Why don't people ask Disney these questions?

mousermerf

DIS Veteran
Just a thought..

Asking for advice or an opinion on the flexible bits of a vacation is entirely normal..

But why is there such a heavy reliance on this forum and others and sites like allears and mousesavers to get actual hard evidence from Disney?

Shouldn't Disney be answering many of the questions that pop up here..?

Disney is notorious for not having consistent training for their telephone CM's. Because when you call Disney you are routed to a call center, not Disney World in Orlando. You can ask 10 different CM's the same question and get 10 (or 12) different answers.

You will find much, much more reliable information here.

Just a thought..

Asking for advice or an opinion on the flexible bits of a vacation is entirely normal..

But why is there such a heavy reliance on this forum and others and sites like allears and mousesavers to get actual hard evidence from Disney?

In theory, yeah they should, but they don't. Most people don't want to pay LD charges to call Disney and ask them and Disney is not a consistent source of information. The people that answe the phones are in call centers all ovver the US and like all other call centers they have a very high turnover rate (people leave all the time and new ones replace them) and very limited training (you can't go over ever scenario in just a few days). The CM's often are wonderful and nice but just flat out aren't as knowledgable as people on this board. Also some of those CM's have never set foot on property and have no idea how things really are compared to what is in thier little system where they look up info.

Just a thought..

Why? These forums have no affiliation with Disney. They may be ABOUT Disney (mostly) but they are not BY Disney.

Disney already provides their chosen method for the flow of information.

Who at Disney would we be asking?:confused3

The cast members at 407-Disney who have never been to a park?:eek:

The cast members who are not even told when special events will begin or end or about new restaurants or attractions?:laughing:

And would cast members tell us when there is a better non-Disney service for renting strollers or ECVs or for grocery delivery or transportation to US or Seaworld?:rotfl:

What about off-property restaurants or hotels?:banana:

I have been a member here a very long time. I prefer to come ask the experts, people with 1 or 5 or 10 or 30+ trips to WDW. :thumbsup2

Disney is notorious for not having consistent training for their telephone CM's. Because when you call Disney you are routed to a call center, not Disney World in Orlando. You can ask 10 different CM's the same question and get 10 (or 12) different answers.

You will find much, much more reliable information here.

Some discounts came up on the disney website, so I called to upgrade our current room and package. The CM on the phone had no idea there were new discounts out, and told me it would be $1000 more for 2 people than it was stating on the website. They really seem to be uninformed.

After 45 minutes on the phone and asking manager after manager how I could get this price, and basically telling THEM the procedure to go through to get the discount it finally worked. sheesh. :eek:

Just a thought..

I have to agree, the questions people are asking here they should be contacting disney for that info... I mean there is so much conflicting info on these boards that I don't see the point in asking if your not getting solid answers to your questions. I think people are bored and just want to talk so they ask the most tideous questions to spark a conversation. Not to mention asking the same questions in a 1000 different ways. (geesh)

I guess i bring it up because I feel like Disney assumes people will get the information here or other places online - like it's an excuse for them to be lazy, not pay their CM's, and not do training.

Trust me, i know all about the call center. Worked there (after working in the parks), left because I got fed up with it - like everyone else.

I have to agree, the questions people are asking here they should be contacting disney for that info... I mean there is so much conflicting info on these boards that I don't see the point in asking if your not getting solid answers to your questions. I think people are bored and just want to talk so they ask the most tideous questions to spark a conversation. Not to mention asking the same questions in a 1000 different ways. (geesh)
I guess I don't know what specific questions you and the OP are talking about? Can you give an example of what we should not be discussing on here, but calling Disney about?

Also, I think, overall, the Disboards is an incredible place to get accurate info about touring Disney. Yes, there are all those stupid discussions about whether free dining is free and should I take my kids out of school, but overall the info on here is really good.

I have a question? Why are YOU here if you find the Dis board so conlicting and that you don't get solid answers?

I personally have gotten more acurate answers here then on the phone or at guest services at the parks...PLUS I want the information fast and acurate. Nobody on here , to my knowledge, lies or misleads on purpose..everyone just shares his/her own expirences. I have done sooooooo much more in the diney parks because of this forum and the people here..yes we can get "snarky" at times BUT basically we all share the love for disney and want to help others enjoy their trips as much as we do.

popcorn::

because Walt Disney died a long time ago...

The CMs are just employees. They aren't necessarily trained to know everything or even anything about the day to day occurrences at the parks. Some of them probably don't even pay attention to the information they are expected to know.

everytime i call disney, i am put through 10 minutes of un-needed questions, why dont they just ask for your res#? and often get the run around.... so i look here for the basics and then go from there

Simple. When I have a question that has a hard and fast yes or no answer.. I'll ask Disney. When I want an opinion, anectdote or experience.. I'll ask a member here. Disney is trying to sell me something... the posters here are sharing their experiences and thoughts. Big difference.

I have gotten more accurate, reliable, and current information here on the DIS as opposed to Disney's site or from a cast member.

I didn't read all the posts but I do know you can't get a CM to give you an opinion, other than "everything in Disney is great". If you want the low down on a restaurant or resort or ride, check the boards.

I don't want Disney's opinion about a lot of the information I find on here. I like an unbiased report of resorts, food, crowds, rides etc. I like reading real people's accounts of their experiences, not what someone spoon fed their employee to say :)

I'd be torn between a yes and a no.

I believe that if it's a question regarding Disney policies - what is allowed, what is not, those questions should be answered by Disney because they should be cut and dried policies (i.e., room occupancy, park hours, special event hours, dates, and prices, etc.). For example, there is a long thread regarding whether guests going to MNSSHP and MVMCP will be allowed in at 4pm or 7pm. On the DISboards side, you have the prior experiences of guests - from all the way back when you didn't get in until 7pm, through segregating the party guests within one land of the park while the rest is cleared, to allowing all party guests in at 4pm without clearing the park in advance. Each person gives their personal experience, and their personal experience is valid. However, only Disney knows what their policy for 2010 is going to be, and you SHOULD be able to call Disney and get a definitive answer to this question. But according to the thread, people have been trying and getting different answers. That's not good customer service in my book, and it's that frustration that makes people come here to try to get an answer, that really we can't give until the parties actually start and people report their experiences again.

Then there are the subjective questions. Those are perfect for a discussion board like the DIS. Which restaurants are best for which allergies or preferences? Where's the best spot to buy a "whatever"? Do you prefer resorts with separate buildings or resorts that are all one building? Anything that is opinion based should not be a question to Disney, but a question for people who have been there, done that. There's no right or wrong answer to most of these questions. The OP's are just trying to get some information to base their vacation planning decisions on. And that's what most of us here do best - giving our opinions to help make someone's vacation a little better. Yes, it can be annoying when people don't use the search function first for some of the more basic questions. However, sometimes when you search, you get dated information. Sometimes you need to start a new thread so you get the most up to date info out there. So I just answer the question, and go on. Imagine if you were a CM who gets asked the same "tedious" questions multiple times per day! I don't think we have it too bad here.

I had a rather simple question regarding castle lighting which I submitted to "Disney Moms" on the official site. They answered my email 2 weeks later. Same question was answered in 5 mins by dissers and...drum roll please...same answer. I love the experts here. Just reading the threads has saved me money, helped me make great choices and enhanced our WDW experiences! Go DIS!:cheer2:

111 Days until Just the Girls Magic Christmas princess:princess:princess:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter