Why don't people ask Disney these questions?

Dear lord, talk about having to separate the wheat from the chaff...

It was already cleared differentiated in the original post of this thread that asking people's opinions on a discussion board makes sense.

Conversely, going to a discussion board for FACTS about Disney's operation instead of Disney itself is a pretty ridiculous conceit - though admittedly Disney's own fault.

So can we stop debating that bit now..? No one said you shouldn't ask people's opinions.

Thought: The reason the guidemaps don't actually describe rides or shows anymore or even list half the offerings in Epcot (find a museum/gallery on that map, i dare ya) is because Disney expects places like the DIS and guidebooks to tell people instead.

ok, just facts. I can either post a question quickly. come back later and read answers. or call disney. spend forever going through the flowchart.. ie... yes, I want English, yes I have been more than 5 times, why do you need my reservation #, I just have a simple question, etc etc. and then often, get a Cm who has no idea what I'm talking about.
if time is NOT of the essence, ie, your trip is a few months away, irt is easier just to post the question and see if you get answers.
true, sometimes it doesn't work (I waited MONTHS, and no one could tell me if the Veal T-bone at Le CEllier was any good)
but it doesn't "hurt" anyone. if you don't want to address the question, just don't click on the thread.

another example: preferred rooms at the value resorts. on this board, I found a great map with the preferred rooms highlighted. found another post with colored lines drawn for the walkiong distance from dif. sections at pop to the bus area (with "feet" amt. included.)

I like thatt people are free to ask any questions they want, whether they be "factual" or opinions.

...Thought: The reason the guidemaps don't actually describe rides or shows anymore or even list half the offerings in Epcot (find a museum/gallery on that map, i dare ya) is because Disney expects places like the DIS and guidebooks to tell people instead.

I'd say yes and no to that. I'm guessing (again, purely a guess) that there are a couple of potential factors (like my commitment? "guess" "potential":rotfl2:)

1. technology has changed how information is distributed. Much of what used to require printing, is now available on the internet. More specifically, Disney's website(s). The information is still coming from Disney, but in a different medium. So in the past, they had to cram it all on paper, now, they can create a balance. I'm sure they are constantly tracking what that balance should be.

2. they probably have found that human nature is such that they could put signs everywhere, pamphlets everywhere and post every scrap of info possible and it still wouldn't matter. Case in point, Fast Passes. They've been around for years, are simple, are noted on the pamphlets, website, promo videos, disney channel in the resort rooms, etc...yet, people still don't use them or in some cases even know about them.

I look at it this way. WDW is a giant maze and we are teh lab rats. Disney is the scientist. By now, they have tons of data to know what we are and aren't gonna do. I don't think they expect the DIS and other outlets to inform it's guests, but they know that for a certain percentage of guests, it will.

I'd say yes and no to that. I'm guessing (again, purely a guess) that there are a couple of potential factors (like my commitment? "guess" "potential":rotfl2:)

1. technology has changed how information is distributed. Much of what used to require printing, is now available on the internet. More specifically, Disney's website(s). The information is still coming from Disney, but in a different medium. So in the past, they had to cram it all on paper, now, they can create a balance. I'm sure they are constantly tracking what that balance should be.

2. they probably have found that human nature is such that they could put signs everywhere, pamphlets everywhere and post every scrap of info possible and it still wouldn't matter. Case in point, Fast Passes. They've been around for years, are simple, are noted on the pamphlets, website, promo videos, disney channel in the resort rooms, etc...yet, people still don't use them or in some cases even know about them.

I look at it this way. WDW is a giant maze and we are teh lab rats. Disney is the scientist. By now, they have tons of data to know what we are and aren't gonna do. I don't think they expect the DIS and other outlets to inform it's guests, but they know that for a certain percentage of guests, it will.

:thumbsup2:rotfl2: ever try to "give away" fast passes you';re not going to use? hilarious. "what are they? how much do you want for them? are they legal?" us "no, no, we are leaving becuase (whatever) and can't use them.. they're free.. take them!"
them"honey, do you think we should?"
us "nevermind" and we go on to the next couple.!:rotfl:

I'm not talking about geniune questions people ask, who are looking for true answers. What about the questions with 2 replies and 500 reviews... but wait the title is what suckers you in "Help! help! help! help! here's goes...what color shirt should I wear to MK?....You get my drift.

But who really cares?

Do you know what it's like to have a question that you ask and NO ONE looks at it b/c your thread title was boring? It's not fun.

And what to wear in parks is a BIG interest for many people!

Just because you don't think it's a worthwhile post, and don't feel that the title matches the post doesn't mean the person didn't actually want answers.

Dear lord, talk about having to separate the wheat from the chaff...

It was already cleared differentiated in the original post of this thread that asking people's opinions on a discussion board makes sense.

Conversely, going to a discussion board for FACTS about Disney's operation instead of Disney itself is a pretty ridiculous conceit - though admittedly Disney's own fault.

Right. Like the CM I already mentioned who didn't know that DME doesn't do DME reservations for DVC members, but Member Services does.

He also didn't know that you can book one-way trips on airlines, but that's beside the point.

However, as I mentioned, he did mention some good margaritas in Epcot!

"newbie" and your point is? I'm just saying most questions are a bit "redundant" I'd say 80%.
Once in a while you come across something worth reading/posting.

But that's your opinion. It's NOT the opinion of many many here. Many of us here like helping people. Heck, I haven't even been to WDW yet and have learned so much that I can try to fill in for Robo when he's not around (and can direct people to Cheshire's sticky thread). I don't work for disney but I've managed to learn a ton (with the occasional whoopsie that's quickly fixed by others). On the DLR forum I LOVE helping people with the things I know and have experienced, no matter how many times I've seen the question before. Some people even have their answers saved in documents, to tweak and copy/paste when needed...they don't ignore the post, they don't just tell people to search...they answer.

I suggest you guys click on the OP's name and look at some other threads he's started. Might give you some insight.

Wizard_troll_doll-low_res.jpg

I have to agree, the questions people are asking here they should be contacting disney for that info... I mean there is so much conflicting info on these boards that I don't see the point in asking if your not getting solid answers to your questions. I think people are bored and just want to talk so they ask the most tideous questions to spark a conversation. Not to mention asking the same questions in a 1000 different ways. (geesh)

I guess I'm wondering what a "tideous" question is.:confused3

In theory, yeah they should, but they don't. Most people don't want to pay LD charges to call Disney and ask them and Disney is not a consistent source of information. The people that answe the phones are in call centers all ovver the US and like all other call centers they have a very high turnover rate (people leave all the time and new ones replace them) and very limited training (you can't go over ever scenario in just a few days). The CM's often are wonderful and nice but just flat out aren't as knowledgable as people on this board. Also some of those CM's have never set foot on property and have no idea how things really are compared to what is in thier little system where they look up info.

::yes::

I, for one, am thrilled that people ask their questions on these boards. I've found out some very useful information about Disney policies (yes, facts) that I wouldn't ever have even THOUGHT about asking, and only discovered because someone else asked the question or got an answer to a similar or tangential question.

It would never have occurred to me to ask whether MYW tickets that have never been used expire. I would figure, like most other places, that tickets were good for the particular trip for which they were bought.

It would never have occurred to me to ask whether I could upgrade a ticket that had already been used. I assumed, like most places, that once something's been used, you can't "return" it.

It would never have occurred to me that not only would Disney upgrade the ticket, but they'd give you credit for more than you paid for it if you bought it at a discount or in a prior year, and actually used it first! That tidbit has saved me a bunch but who would have known to phrase the question?

But I learned all these things by browsing the boards, reading a whole lot of threads that I didn't post, and then asking follow up questions.

So folks, please keep asking factual questions and passing on knowledge to those of us who don't even know which questions to ask!

Who at Disney would we be asking?:confused3

The cast members at 407-Disney who have never been to a park?:eek:

The cast members who are not even told when special events will begin or end or about new restaurants or attractions? :laughing:

And would cast members tell us when there is a better non-Disney service for renting strollers or ECVs or for grocery delivery or transportation to US or Seaworld? :rotfl:

What about off-property restaurants or hotels?:banana:

I have been a member here a very long time. I prefer to come ask the experts, people with 1 or 5 or 10 or 30+ trips to WDW. :thumbsup2
As a CM -- and someone who has also been a member here a very long time -- I have to ask ... where do you think a lot of the info you're getting HERE comes from? A lot of it comes from CMs.

Cheshire Figment (a CM) has often recommended non-Disney services for renting ECVs. I have given lots of advice on rental cars and grocery services off-property. Other CMs here have suggested stroller rental companies or places near property to purchase cheap, reliable strollers. Many of us will also happily tell you where the closest Disney merch outlets are, where else around town you can purchase bona fide Disney souvenirs and pins, and a lot of us will even tell you why we like SeaWorld, how to get to Universal, why Gatorland is a great daytrip, and whether or not Busch Gardens is worth the drive. We'll give honest opinions on off-property lodging and even provide directions for the quickest way to get to WDW from your timeshare. We actually don't disparage people who don't stay on site.

Please don't lump all CMs together as you :rotfl: and :laughing:. Because a lot of the great info you get here on the DIS comes from CMs too.

:earsboy:

I agree with snykymom, it's not just about getting burning questions answered, it's about not knowing the question to ask all the time. I would never have called Disney to ask about using gift cards there, thus prepaying for food without the dining plan, but because someone asked on the boards about how/where to use gift cards, I was suddenly given a great idea :banana:. It would never have occurred to me to ask Disney if I can get into MVMCP at 4PM instead of the 7PM printed on the ticket, but I'll be eagerly awaiting news of what happens at the Halloween party.

Also, I do believe Mousemerf is simply trying to tell me (again) that Disney is lying/cheating/whatever and asking why I spend my money there. Well, I'd love to get direct answers from Disney but even then the DIS will still have a place. Plus I'd also love to be able to get straight, correct answers from my bank, the cable company, the company that I bought my computer from...It's not gonna happen :rotfl:

I have to agree, the questions people are asking here they should be contacting disney for that info... I mean there is so much conflicting info on these boards that I don't see the point in asking if your not getting solid answers to your questions. I think people are bored and just want to talk so they ask the most tideous questions to spark a conversation. Not to mention asking the same questions in a 1000 different ways. (geesh)
If you come across a thread that you don't care for, or that you dind to be boring or tedious, then don't post...just move on. The vast majority of posters enjoy helping others out..they love talking about Disney and giving opinions.There is little conflicting 'good' info here. At least if someone gives out incorrect info on the DIS, there is always going to be someone who can see it and give the correct info. That isn't going to happen if someone calls Disney and gets bad info. And it happens...all too often.

I guess i bring it up because I feel like Disney assumes people will get the information here or other places online - like it's an excuse for them to be lazy, not pay their CM's, and not do training.

Trust me, i know all about the call center. Worked there (after working in the parks), left because I got fed up with it - like everyone else.
You know....I know a lot of WDW employees. For the most part, they have been at WDW for many, many years. They love what they do. So, when you say 'everyone gets fed-up' I have to wonder who you mean. It is when there is rapid turnover that mistakes are made. I would imagine that Disney call centers have many new CMs all the time, and among those CMs are going to be the people that didn't pay attention in training or who think they already know all the anwers. So, they are giving out incorrect info.
As far as pay goes.....I would also think that pay amounts are stated when you are hired. If you don't like the pay scale, don't take the job.
I am not trying to be argumentative here, but you do tend to come across as a pot stirrer. Yes, Disney CMs give out incorrect info. My issue is that rather than finding another person who has the correct info to give, these CMs just tell you anything and go on to the next call.

As a CM -- and someone who has also been a member here a very long time -- I have to ask ... where do you think a lot of the info you're getting HERE comes from? A lot of it comes from CMs.

Cheshire Figment (a CM) has often recommended non-Disney services for renting ECVs. I have given lots of advice on rental cars and grocery services off-property. Other CMs here have suggested stroller rental companies or places near property to purchase cheap, reliable strollers. Many of us will also happily tell you where the closest Disney merch outlets are, where else around town you can purchase bona fide Disney souvenirs and pins, and a lot of us will even tell you why we like SeaWorld, how to get to Universal, why Gatorland is a great daytrip, and whether or not Busch Gardens is worth the drive. We'll give honest opinions on off-property lodging and even provide directions for the quickest way to get to WDW from your timeshare. We actually don't disparage people who don't stay on site.

Please don't lump all CMs together as you :rotfl: and :laughing:. Because a lot of the great info you get here on the DIS comes from CMs too.

And we thank you for your insights here. It is really wonderful to have to many CMs posting here. We realize they have to be very careful about what they are posting in order to keep their jobs.
We all realize that Disney reads these boards. Yes, there are people that sit at computers all day, just reading here.

A funny thing happened to me the other day. I was taking a DVC MS survey, online. It came to a section that asked about where I get info or just 'hang out' online. The DISboards was the top site in the choices given. Kind of amazing when you think of it. It asked how often I go to these 'other' sites and how long I am online, visiting them.

Disney is well aware of what is going on. Why don't they take the bull by the horns and train their people better?? I guess only a CM can answer that for us.

Just a thought..

Asking for advice or an opinion on the flexible bits of a vacation is entirely normal..

But why is there such a heavy reliance on this forum and others and sites like allears and mousesavers to get actual hard evidence from Disney?

Shouldn't Disney be answering many of the questions that pop up here..?

In this age of the internet, I would be more inclined to ask why anyone WOULD rely "only" on any particular company's information.. whether it be Disney or Ford or a new drug... Ford can advertise the price of a car, but anyone who doesn't look for a better deal is a fool (I sold cars, for about a minute, never trust a car saleperson) :) Disney can tell everyone that Fantasmic is on a certain night, but woe is the poor soul who doesn't realize that it can be cancelled for any number of reasons!! Having prior and unbiased knowledge beforehand can prevent a lot of disappointment OR anger... even if it is "simply" making the decision of what color of shirt a group should wear...(white is a bad choice!!) lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore's Pal
Who at Disney would we be asking?

The cast members at 407-Disney who have never been to a park?

The cast members who are not even told when special events will begin or end or about new restaurants or attractions?

And would cast members tell us when there is a better non-Disney service for renting strollers or ECVs or for grocery delivery or transportation to US or Seaworld?

What about off-property restaurants or hotels?

I have been a member here a very long time. I prefer to come ask the experts, people with 1 or 5 or 10 or 30+ trips to WDW.

I would assume Eeyore's Pal was referring to answers given by CMs at the call centers - not to any CMs here.
Can CMs who are being paid by Disney to answer questions on the phone give out answers recommending non-Disney services? OK - :rolleyes1 - technically I suppose they can...but would they/should they?

Disney is well aware of what is going on. Why don't they take the bull by the horns and train their people better?? I guess only a CM can answer that for us.
They do "train their people." But just like in any business anywhere, some CMs are going to take that training and run with it. Others aren't. Some, like Cheshire Figment, are going to spend their spare time reading all the memos and checking on little bits of policy and making sure that every piece of info Disney has provided is read. Others are not.

Not every single person in Target can help you find a certain item. Not every person at PetSmart can tell you the best food for your hamster. Not every associate at Home Depot can tell you where to find the right nails for your deck. Some people just take their jobs more seriously than others. Some know a LOT about certain things and nothing about other things. It's like kids in school. Everyone in English Lit gets the same book, the same teacher, the same lectures. So ... if that's true ... why do some kids get As and others get Ds? It's because some kids apply themselves and some kids don't. Some retain info and some don't. Some care ... some don't.

At Disney we are all given the information we need to do our jobs and do them well. Whether we choose to use that information and those opportunities to the fullest is up to us, as CMs. Many people will. Some won't.

I will also say, though, that there are a lot of Guests who don't even give the CM a chance to find the proper info. Even if I have a big old binder in front of me, I still have to find the info. I challenge all the experts here to spend a couple of days at Disney Reservations answering questions. Many callers won't even give you time to find the answer before they hang up on you or say (in an exasperated tone), "Oh... never mind." Many callers say, "I read on the DIS that I'm allowed to ..." and then berate the CM when the CM has no idea what "the DIS" is. One great example is one Easter season, when I was parking strollers in MK and someone came up to me and started asking questions about DHS. Now ... DHS isn't my "home" park. So it takes me a second to re-orient myself to where things are there. When I'm IN the park, it's easy. When I'm standing in Adventureland, it can be hard to instantly recall the best path from Brown Derby to Luigi's. Apparently I paused just a little too long trying to answer the question correctly, and the Guest walked away in a huff, muttering how I didn't even know the layout of my own park. I DO know the layout, thankyouverymuch, but I unfortunately cannot pull it up instantaneously upon demand. Especially when it's out of context.

And don't get me started on people who don't really know how to ask the question they want to ask. They're asking about a PIN code, but they don't know what that is, only that they read about it on "the DIS." One Guest thought a PIN code was a code that would give them free trading pins if they booked a certain type of resort. Took me a while to explain the concept and why they did not qualify. The response was, "well everyone on the DIS is getting one -- if you won't give me one, then I want to speak to your manager!" Fine ... here you go. Sometimes, it's how the question is asked that gets the wrong answer, not the CM who is providing the info.

So ... while I do understand the frustrations, I would simply request that when people are complaining about how clueless the CMs are or how they don't know the right answers to anything, they not lump all CMs into that one category. Many of us are here reading, learning, contributing, correcting mistakes of others, offering info and passing along things to our managers. We're not all clueless people who have never been to the parks.

Most questions, I know more than the people who answer the phones for CRO. I come to the Dis for people's experience.

A Disney CM is going to tell me that everything is perfect and wonderful at WDW, but facts are that it is not. Not all things are for everybody.

I would assume Eeyore's Pal was referring to answers given by CMs at the call centers - not to any CMs here.
Can CMs who are being paid by Disney to answer questions on the phone give out answers recommending non-Disney services? OK - :rolleyes1 - technically I suppose they can...but would they/should they?

Are there really that many guests calling the Disney call centers asking about the Sheraton in Kissimmee or how best to get to Universal? I'm thinking probably not. Maybe there are. :confused3 But, again, I didn't read Eeyore's Pal's post as saying that the CMs at the call centers can't do that. It seemed as if EP was talking about CMs in general.

And it goes back to the part that was supposed to be implied in the original question:

Why is it acceptable that Disney is unable to provide answers?

It's not. But I think people are pretty used to that in all areas of business and life. Aren't you slightly surpised and pleased these days when you get good, quick, reliable information and service when you call ANY customer service department for a big company? It happens the other way often enough that you get to expect it.

But what are you going to do about it? If the misinformation get bad enough, or customer service gets bad enough - you stop using the company. I believe there are companies out there (hmmmm... certain computer companies say..) that get to be known for their bad customer support. And eventually people stop buying their products because of it.

I would say for most people - Disney has a LONG way to go before this amount of misinformation (or lack of information) causes people to not go.

Heck, I haven't even been to WDW yet and have learned so much that I can try to fill in for Robo when he's not around (and can direct people to Cheshire's sticky thread).

It's a dirty job, but SOMEBODY'S got to do it. ;)

----------------------------

The biggest reason the answers here can be so accurate is the nearly "instant"
PEER REVIEW.

Once an answer has been given, it can be viewed by dozens (hundreds?) of other experienced DIS members.

If the info is flawed, it won't take long for a bunch of other posters to chime in and offer the corrected info.

It has happened to me, and a lot of other experienced posters over the years.

It keeps our answers sharp, accurate, and up-to-date.

Asking questions over-the-phone or one-on-one does not offer the very real advantage of multiple "fact-checking" that goes on constantly on this board, in particular.

This is an excellent "community of help" for Disney travelers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter