Why don't people ask Disney these questions?

I like the disboards because there was information about the discounts coming out ahead of time. I told my hubby, that Monday he was on the phone for 1 1/2 hours, but we saved over $1000 on our upcoming trip. Gotta love that! :banana:

On the negative side, I found out how much the trip was really costing :rotfl:

They do "train their people." But just like in any business anywhere, some CMs are going to take that training and run with it. Others aren't. Some, like Cheshire Figment, are going to spend their spare time reading all the memos and checking on little bits of policy and making sure that every piece of info Disney has provided is read. Others are not.

Not every single person in Target can help you find a certain item. Not every person at PetSmart can tell you the best food for your hamster. Not every associate at Home Depot can tell you where to find the right nails for your deck. Some people just take their jobs more seriously than others. Some know a LOT about certain things and nothing about other things. It's like kids in school. Everyone in English Lit gets the same book, the same teacher, the same lectures. So ... if that's true ... why do some kids get As and others get Ds? It's because some kids apply themselves and some kids don't. Some retain info and some don't. Some care ... some don't.

At Disney we are all given the information we need to do our jobs and do them well. Whether we choose to use that information and those opportunities to the fullest is up to us, as CMs. Many people will. Some won't.

I will also say, though, that there are a lot of Guests who don't even give the CM a chance to find the proper info. Even if I have a big old binder in front of me, I still have to find the info. I challenge all the experts here to spend a couple of days at Disney Reservations answering questions. Many callers won't even give you time to find the answer before they hang up on you or say (in an exasperated tone), "Oh... never mind." Many callers say, "I read on the DIS that I'm allowed to ..." and then berate the CM when the CM has no idea what "the DIS" is. One great example is one Easter season, when I was parking strollers in MK and someone came up to me and started asking questions about DHS. Now ... DHS isn't my "home" park. So it takes me a second to re-orient myself to where things are there. When I'm IN the park, it's easy. When I'm standing in Adventureland, it can be hard to instantly recall the best path from Brown Derby to Luigi's. Apparently I paused just a little too long trying to answer the question correctly, and the Guest walked away in a huff, muttering how I didn't even know the layout of my own park. I DO know the layout, thankyouverymuch, but I unfortunately cannot pull it up instantaneously upon demand. Especially when it's out of context.

And don't get me started on people who don't really know how to ask the question they want to ask. They're asking about a PIN code, but they don't know what that is, only that they read about it on "the DIS." One Guest thought a PIN code was a code that would give them free trading pins if they booked a certain type of resort. Took me a while to explain the concept and why they did not qualify. The response was, "well everyone on the DIS is getting one -- if you won't give me one, then I want to speak to your manager!" Fine ... here you go. Sometimes, it's how the question is asked that gets the wrong answer, not the CM who is providing the info.

So ... while I do understand the frustrations, I would simply request that when people are complaining about how clueless the CMs are or how they don't know the right answers to anything, they not lump all CMs into that one category. Many of us are here reading, learning, contributing, correcting mistakes of others, offering info and passing along things to our managers. We're not all clueless people who have never been to the parks.

:earsboy:

You're right - and I for one have only had excellent service, responses and information from CMs - whether at a call center or in the parks.:thumbsup2

But just because people don't bother to type out "some" or "certain" doesn't really mean they believe something is true of ALL. I would assume that it was understood I wasn't making a blanket statement.

I did have a really wonderful post all typed out in response to the discussion of Eeyore's Pal's post - but lost it...

I did have a question about it though. Could a CM, who was working at that moment - really tell someone they would be better off using a non-Disney service?

You're right - and I for one have only had excellent service, responses and information from CMs - whether at a call center or in the parks.:thumbsup2

But just because people don't bother to type out "some" or "certain" doesn't really mean they believe something is true of ALL. I would assume that it was understood I wasn't making a blanket statement.

I did have a really wonderful post all typed out in response to the discussion of Eeyore's Pal's post - but lost it...

I did have a question about it though. Could a CM, who was working at that moment - really tell someone they would be better off using a non-Disney service?
I understand that lots of people are not calling out ALL CMs, but you can only read so many posts about how clueless Disney CMs are before you start taking it personally! :upsidedow

As for a CM giving non-Disney suggestions ... depends on the service. If someone is saying, "would I be better off staying off-property?", that's pretty hard for a CM to answer "yes" to. Their JOB is to create room nights. To help Guests find accommodation ON SITE. There are quotas and projections and sales numbers and such that need to be met. If you want to know if you should stay on property or off property, that's a question for a travel agent, not a Disney Reservations CM. By the time to get to Disney Reservations, you should pretty much know you're staying here.

No Disney CM that I know is going to encourage you to stay somewhere else or to spend six days at Universal. But if you ask, "Have you ever been to SeaWorld and did you like it?", that's an opinion question that many folks will answer if they have time. But it is the CMs first job to work FOR Disney, not against.

If, however, you're looking for a place to rent an ECV or if you're looking for the closest local grocery store, that's certainly something that a CM can help you with, if they know. I never use ECVs, so I can't tell you where to rent them locally. I do, however, know where all the nearby grocery stores are and would be happy to help you find one. But I will also mention to you that a limited number of groceries are available at the gift shops at your resort, because a lot of times, guests don't realize that!

I did not read all pages, sorry if I repeat what was said.

You cannot get some info from Disney representatives because you need to have an experience and many of them have none.

Also when someone asks for opinion, it is personal, so how representative can help you anyway.

Moreover they have to push some products, so if you ask about DP, they will tell you exactly what advertized, that it will save you money, and we know that it does not work for all people.

I prefer to ask here, from people who knows what they are talking about.:)

You cannot get some info from Disney representatives because you need to have an experience and many of them have none.
True. But it does depend on the CM. One CM may not know. The next one might.

Also when someone asks for opinion, it is personal, so how representative can help you anyway.
Right, but if you want someone's opinion, then you ask for it. Lots of people ask Disney CMs "what's your favorite ride", "do you have a favorite show or parade" or "where do you like to eat". They are asking for opinions of the CMs for the exact same reason they ask for opinions on the DIS.

Moreover they have to push some products, so if you ask about DP, they will tell you exactly what advertized, that it will save you money, and we know that it does not work for all people.
Yup. Which is why no one -- from Disney to the local grocery store -- ever tells you everything there is to know about a product. They're counting on you taking their word for it. ;)

I prefer to ask here, from people who knows what they are talking about.:)
There are actually a lot of people here do NOT know what they are talking about. The difference, as someone (Robo?) said upthread, is that on the DIS you have instant accountability. If someone is wrong, there are a dozen people standing by to instantly post a correction. If you talk to a Disney CM who is wrong, you may not know that until it's too late.

Also, I think, overall, the Disboards is an incredible place to get accurate info about touring Disney. Yes, there are all those stupid discussions about whether free dining is free and should I take my kids out of school, but overall the info on here is really good.

Bingo! :thumbsup2

The biggest reason the answers here can be so accurate is the nearly "instant"
PEER REVIEW.

Once an answer has been given, it can be viewed by dozens (hundreds?) of other experienced DIS members.

If the info is flawed, it won't take long for a bunch of other posters to chime in and offer the corrected info.

It has happened to me, and a lot of other experienced posters over the years.

It keeps our answers sharp, accurate, and up-to-date.

Asking questions over-the-phone or one-on-one does not offer the very real advantage of multiple "fact-checking" that goes on constantly on this board, in particular.

This is an excellent "community of help" for Disney travelers.
I agree with this 100%.

Since this really has no trip-planning value to visitors looking for "Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies", I'm moving this thread to the Theme Parks Community board.

I was formally penalized by Disney for -suggesting- that I would not recommend the Grand Floridian to guests if they did not improve their service and quality levels in housekeeping.

And for the record, the mission statement of the call center is to "Maintain and assure the profits of the WDW resort" - whereas the parks have statements about creating dreams, inspiring people, etc.. and no mention of money.

That mindset most certainly trickles down and dictates how that segment functions. It has the highest turnover rate of any area of the company.

And for the record, the mission statement of the call center is to "Maintain and assure the profits of the WDW resort" - whereas the parks have statements about creating dreams, inspiring people, etc.. and no mention of money.

That mindset most certainly trickles down and dictates how that segment functions. It has the highest turnover rate of any area of the company.

And why would you expect the mission statement to be any different? Disney still has to make money in order to make the magic. CRO is for the most part a sales function. Salespeople are supposed to sell and to make money for their company.

I've found most CMs to be helpful and friendly and for the most part, knowledgeable. Do I get some who've had a bad day? Sure. Do I get one who's new when I've had a bad day? Sure. But for the most part, I get CMs who may not know the answer to my question but try to find out. And I give them the time! I don't go crazy if I'm put on hold for several minutes.

And by the way, the call centers and help desks at most businesses have the highest turnover, because they have among the lowest pay. (I don't understand that, because it's often people's biggest interaction with a company, but that's a topic for another thread!)

I was formally penalized by Disney for -suggesting- that I would not recommend the Grand Floridian to guests if they did not improve their service and quality levels in housekeeping.
Sorry, but all this sounds like the musings of a disgruntled (ex)employee.

Sorry, but all this sounds like the musings of a disgruntled (ex)employee.

One who left after being asked to stay and take on a management position to instead finish school and get paid more at their other job?

Really?

This sounds like the mental gymnastics of someone who wants to minimize any rational line of argument against something they have placed on a high pedestal.

And why would you expect the mission statement to be any different? Disney still has to make money in order to make the magic. CRO is for the most part a sales function. Salespeople are supposed to sell and to make money for their company.

I've found most CMs to be helpful and friendly and for the most part, knowledgeable. Do I get some who've had a bad day? Sure. Do I get one who's new when I've had a bad day? Sure. But for the most part, I get CMs who may not know the answer to my question but try to find out. And I give them the time! I don't go crazy if I'm put on hold for several minutes.

And by the way, the call centers and help desks at most businesses have the highest turnover, because they have among the lowest pay. (I don't understand that, because it's often people's biggest interaction with a company, but that's a topic for another thread!)

Call Center pays more then most of the positions in the parks. Essentially all of the frontline guest positions.

For the record, i now work at a glorified call center for an HR outsourcing company - it has a 90% retention rate.

What can i say, we do better then Disney.

One who left after being asked to stay and take on a management position to instead finish school and get paid more at their other job?

Really?

This sounds like the mental gymnastics of someone who wants to minimize any rational line of argument against something they have placed on a high pedestal.
Mental gymnastics? No, just a simple observation. What other reason would you have for posting such an asinine question and follow up responses? You seem to have a distaste for Disney and the Disboards. Most people are here because they find the Disboards helpful or just have a simple love of all things Disney, why are you here?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter