Will this end up being the pandemic that cried wolf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are right.

Many do not seem to realize that the area under a flattened curve is the same as the area under an unflattened curve. If the area under the curve represents death there will be just as many in a flattened curve scenario spread out over a much longer period.

Not true.

First, the area under the curve is cases, not death.

If there were no treatment, then your statement might be true. However, the true point of flattening the curve is to keep cases below the critical level where they start to overwhelm the health care system. Having cases below this level, significantly decrease case-fatality rate, saving many lives even if the total number of people who get the illness is the same (your area under the curve).

It didn’t happen in Sweden with no quarantine and they have less ICU beds per capita than the US. It sure didn’t happen in Texas with late quarantine and now early opening.
You act like he opened up the floodgates so we in Texas had parties!! That is NOT what our governor did! He has allowed hospitals to slowly start opening up for more elective, which in many cases is treating long term health issues. That is needed. He opened up all businesses for pick up. Again, not much more threat there. He actually clamped down on nursing homes. The only possible somewhat problem might be opening up the state parks. If done properly by limiting visitors, wearing masks, limiting groups to 5 or less and social distancing, it should be ok I think. To me, those feel more able to be monitored safely than a beach. With all of this, he will be keeping an eye on deaths and beds. With more testing, our numbers WILL go up and it will be showing what is not what the openings caused. Those numbers won't show for 2 weeks. Now those idiots in Austin that protested with no regard for social distancing, yeah they may well cause a spike. Not the governor's fault. But do NOT use our state as a poster child for throwing the doors open. That is NOT what we are doing.

mr7y6dK.png

You act like he opened up the floodgates so we in Texas had parties!! That is NOT what our governor did! He has allowed hospitals to slowly start opening up for more elective, which in many cases is treating long term health issues. That is needed. He opened up all businesses for pick up. Again, not much more threat there. He actually clamped down on nursing homes. The only possible somewhat problem might be opening up the state parks. If done properly by limiting visitors, wearing masks, limiting groups to 5 or less and social distancing, it should be ok I think. To me, those feel more able to be monitored safely than a beach. With all of this, he will be keeping an eye on deaths and beds. With more testing, our numbers WILL go up and it will be showing what is not what the openings caused. Those numbers won't show for 2 weeks. Now those idiots in Austin that protested with no regard for social distancing, yeah they may well cause a spike. Not the governor's fault. But do NOT use our state as a poster child for throwing the doors open. That is NOT what we are doing.
I don’t have the slightest clue what you are talking about. I first noted that Sweden had no quarantine and DID have parties and didn’t suffer from overloaded ICU’s nor excess deaths. No where did I mention what was done in Texas but I did note an incredibly low death rate in Texas. You must have strong feelings about something but not sure what it is.

Last edited:
It’s funny the hysterical reaction about re opening beaches in Florida. The safest place in the world for protection from this virus is a beach. It is destroyed almost immediately by UV light and if that somehow doesn’t kill it then the combination of temperature and humidity will. If you wanted to organize a Coronavirus safe haven best place to put it would be on a Florida beach
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/2931170001

You are right.

Many do not seem to realize that the area under a flattened curve is the same as the area under an unflattened curve. If the area under the curve represents death there will be just as many in a flattened curve scenario spread out over a much longer period.

No, your misinformation is staggering. The area under the curve represents cases, not deaths. There is a line drawn towards the top of the unflattened curve. The area above that line is deaths. By flattening the curve, you push more cases under that line. CASES are the same, DEATHS are fewer.

It’s funny the hysterical reaction about re opening beaches in Florida. The safest place in the world for protection from this virus is a beach. It is destroyed almost immediately by UV light and if that somehow doesn’t kill it then the combination of temperature and humidity will. If you wanted to organize a Coronavirus safe haven best place to put it would be on a Florida beach

This is completely and utterly false. See the link in the post above me which also quoted this nonsense.

I don’t have the slightest clue what you are talking about. I first noted that Sweden had no quarantine and DID have parties and didn’t suffer from overloaded ICU’s nor excess deaths. No where did I mention what was done in Texas but I did note an incredibly low death rate in Texas. You must have strong feelings about something but not sure what it is.

And I have no idea what you are talking about - unless you didn't mean to quote me?

Here is notification of the results of the latest lab results and the key point pasted below and then link to article-

“Preliminary results from government lab experiments show that the coronavirus does not survive long in high temperatures and high humidity, and is quickly destroyed by sunlight,“

I will look for the DHS research paper itself but may not be able to obtain yet.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...-pandemic-could-last-through-summer/24017889/

Last edited:
No, your misinformation is staggering. The area under the curve represents cases, not deaths. There is a line drawn towards the top of the unflattened curve. The area above that line is deaths. By flattening the curve, you push more cases under that line. CASES are the same, DEATHS are fewer.

Not to mention the collateral deaths not due to the virus that will result from an unflattened curve. I am talking about people having heart attacks, strokes and things like car accidents not being able to get sufficient treatment due to an overwhelmed healthcare system.

“Preliminary results from government lab experiments show that the coronavirus does not survive long in high temperatures and high humidity, and is quickly destroyed by sunlight,“

I'm assuming this is the virus sitting out in the open on doorknobs or mailboxes. or on faces, or by saliva in the air. Not in people.

Here is an article that includes the DHS briefing slides from April 13 Based on latest testing from bio weapons laboratories. If you will look down through the DHS slides you will see Sunlight kills Covid 19 QUICKLY.

https://news.yahoo.com/sunlight-des...ould-still-last-through-summer-200745675.html
I'm assuming this is the virus sitting out in the open on doorknobs or mailboxes. or on faces, or by saliva in the air. Not in people.
Yes. Not in people but between people in the environment.

I've read the link that pahoben provided. My question is whether anyone legitimate has verified the slideshow attributed to DHS in the Yahoo article. Reading through it, it appears that someone has used a prior document and doctored it to try to back up their claims. Unfortunately, Yahoo news is not exactly well known for their reliability or taking care in vetting sources, so I maintain that the information about sunlight killing the virus is unlikely, at best. The fact that not one legitimate news source is using this is very telling.

Last edited:
I invite you to travel to New York and tell me how much of an overreaction the last month has been. Maybe in smaller, rural areas it’s easy to believe we’ve been “crying wolf,” but in cities like New York and Portland and Detroit and Pittsburgh, the threat is very real and many, many, many people are dying.
I'm not saying people are overreacting, but not sure why you singled out Pittsburgh, which is doing quite well by comparison. Allegheny county has 50 deaths last I checked, with about that many again in surrounding counties. Now, Philadelphia has more problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter