Wk of Dec 11--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

Awesome lyrics, xterratri! Thank you. I will check it out on itunes tonight.

Good luck with your exam!

I love that song! I love Bon Jovi too. Got to get that one on the MP3

Today was an off day for me, nothing to report. Just getting more excited as the days go on.

Cam, take care of those feet. Wear shoes at all times until race day.

Lisa, sorry you are rationing your DIS time. You are missed.

Lynne, good luck with your exam. Great lyrics thanks for posting them.

Sunny glad to hear it's going good.

mazzypig, what panthergirl said. Good luck with all of it. Hope you feel better soon.

Carrie, good luck with the warmer weather hunting.

Disneefun, so glad things turned better. Hoping my long one is good this weekend.

kaf7878, sorry about those headphones. I am looking for headphone mecca too. Hope you find something soon.

I did an hour tonight on TM; managed 4 miles and praying it will stretch out that I can make the full in time.

I have so not been able to keep up with you guys since our trip last month. Amazing how far behind one can get in 10 days off the boards.....

Cam, sorry to hear about your toe. Hope it heals quickly.

Chimera, yup, Tarzan Rocks! DH thinks Jane rocks! Too bad they will be closing that show soon.

Sunny, I remember chooing our tree under those conditions. This year we got ours at Publix. Just not the same here in FL. The good news is that so far the furbabies :cat: :cat: have alloed it to stand! Only lights on it though - ornaments would be way too tempting! You should see what they do to the magnets on the fridge!

Did some fun xtraining Sat. Went to Busch Gardens for an ACE (American Coaster Enthusiasts) event on Sheikra. We had 90 min of ERT which means we were the only ones riding and there were only about 60 of us so it was sprint to coaster, sprint up 3 flights of stairs ride twice, sprint down stairs, sprint around to ride entrance, repeat about 10 times. Spend the rest of the day walking around the park and riding other coasters. We were exhausted after the long day and 90 min drive home! Good news was that I was able to keep up with the group which I would not have been able to do before I started training with you guys!

Good luck everyone on the final weeks of your training! You are all such an inspiration to me. I am really looking forward to being a participant in 2007. :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Hey, Lily! congrats on the 4 in an hour. You are way ahead of the sweeper! Wish we were doing the half together! :hug:

My foot held up fine tonight on the TM. Did 4.09 miles in 1 hour exactly (14:40 pace). Don't you hate that you lose 12-18 seconds at the beginning when the TM is getting up to speed? I feel like it is crawling! Had to change TMs after the first 20 minutes tonight because there were lumps under the belt and some dragging and I figured if I was going to be reading a book and listening to music, I couldn't worry about my footing.

Have a great night, all! :grouphug:

Mel or Cam - I forget which of you was looking for the Snickers Marathon Bars awhile back. I know you found them in a store. I was out shopping tonight and saw a different bar. This one is the Snickers Marathon Protein Bar. First time I've seen that one. It's a little bigger than the other bars (and pricier $2.89). It's got 26g of Protein. May come in handy. I bought two to check it out and see if I like it as much as the others. Just an FYI.
Oh - I saw them in a Dicks Sproting Goods store by the register lane.

Terri

Nancy - ACE? That sounds awesome!!!!!!!

Shirt Newsflash:
They arrived today. Luckily, I addressed most of the envelopes yesterday. So dh helped me stuff tonight. Stuff is the key word, as we got every penny's worth of teh flat rate envelope! ;) I do have 2 that I ened different envelopes fo and cannot get to teh PO tomorrow. DH will take in all but those 2, he is a godsend, and I will get teh last 2 out Wednesday. Thansk for your patience everyone!

Thanks for all your work on the shirt Carrie! How do they look? It's reallly happening now, isn't it :cool1:

Hey everyone - been absent from boards today and looks like i'm going to need some time to catch up.

Cam - I'm so sorry about your injury. Glad it isn't broken. TAke care!!! I wrote this a while back and then couldn't send. Since then, I read your updated post. Glad your foot did so well tonight.

Colleen - Tell hubby AWESOME!!!

disfun -wish i was where you are

Sara - sorry about your treadmill!!! Mine has actually passed on and will not be coming back to me! I was really bummed, b/c I could run while the boy watched his shows!

HELP- I NEED ADVICE!!!!! OK - I was supposed to do 10 wed/ 20 thurs, but Sarah (EC's mom is sick and she is having to go out of town) so I did my 20 today (Sarah watched the boy) I have only done 2 back to back LR's one 8/17 and one 10/20. Should I try to do 10 tomorrow or should I just forget it and call it good???? I'm not sure what my bod can handle after the 20!

And finally... I wanted to convey this story to everyone. (I might be emotional from the 20 miles alone and the scrapbook I spent hours working on for family Christmas presents - don't worry, my family does not read the disboard) (picture me tearing up - i am) I was telling Phil this week about how john bingman was going to be a disney and he grinned and said he thought it was cool that i had all of these new running heroes (referring to jb and hal higdon and whoever else there is) Anyway, I told him tonight that I do have a bunch of new running heroes. They are you guys. I really admire everyone for all of the hard work and excessive commitment! I especially admire the self-proclaimed former couch potatoes (sp? where is dan quail when you need him?) and everyone who has worked so hard to make changes in their lifestyles to become true atheltes. You guys really are an inspiration and I cannot wait to meet my new running, wogging, walking heroes in person in just a few weeks!

O.k. Mel R- picture me tearing up as I read your post. You & everyone else on this board is my hero.

I am a former couch potato who is doing the 1/2. I am proud to have gotten myself off the couch! This event has kicked it into gear for me. I plan on being "fit & fabulous" not "fat & flabby" I have found other races to do in the coming year to keep it up until WDW comes around again. You guys have been my inspiration! I thought only elite runners/athletes could do what we are training to do. You guys showed me that even a SAHM who had never even done a 5k could train to do this really cool thing (and actually enjoy doing it) I am in awe of all of you and thank you for getting me off that couch and saving me from myself. I will not have a heart attack or diabetes by 40. I will have completed several 1/2 marathons, tons of 5k's,a 15k, a few Tri's and maybe even go for the Mickey in 2007! And it is all because of you. Everyone has been so supportive & helpful and I would not have gotten this far without you.

Everyone in my life has been very supportive of my new hobby, but it's different because you guys are actually going thru it with me. So-THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! I can't wait till Trails End! Maybe talking to everyone will keep me from overeating the night before the race. Because one thing I can do better than eat is talk. :goodvibes

Lisa-why are you grounded? come back to us, we need you.

Good morning, everyone!!! Are we ready for another fun-filled day? :sunny: I had a great run on the treadmill last night (did I just type that??), it didn't start out so wonderful--I was a dummy and drank 24 oz of water from 3:30-5:00, I went to the bathroom as soon as I got home at 5:30, took Hines out and fed him, put on my running clothes, went to the bathroom again, and then got on the treadmill. Literally 1 minute into my run, I had to go again and I knew I couldn't hold it for 50 minutes, so I had to stop the treadmill and go upstairs to use the bathroom. So I used the bathroom 4 times in an hour's time. Moral of the story: stop drinking water at 4:00!!! :rotfl: Okay, so bathroom issues resolved, I get back on the treadmill and about 4 minutes into my run, my foot starts cramping. Grrr. So I stop the treadmill AGAIN, get off and loosen my ankle brace and my shoe laces. We are finally ready to rock and roll. :rockband: After I worked through all of my issues, my run was great. I did r4/w1 for the very first time and it wasn't bad at all, for the first 25 minutes, every run period I alternated running at 5.2 (11:32) and 5.3 (11:16) and I was walking at 4.3 (13:57); from 25 minutes until 40 minutes I ran at 5.3 and walked at 4.4 and the last 10 minutes I ran 5.4 for 4 minutes, walked 4.4 for 2 minutes so it would even up and I would end running, the last 4 minutes I ran at 5.5 and then 5.6. I ended up doing 4.24 miles, which I was happy with, but tonight my goal is to go a smidge faster and do 4.50 miles. Oh, and let me tell you how to guarantee a cry during your run or walk: watch the WDW planning DVD's--it's a sure fire sob fest!!

MelR--You are so sweet!!! You are a inspiration to me!! I can't believe all the adventure races you do and taking the boy kayaking and rock climbing--that's the kind of mom I want to be!! Even though you make me sick with all of your "I'm so skinny" stories. :teeth: I'm pretty thin too, but I definitely work at it!! I can't wait to meet you in 24 days. I can't wait to meet all of you in 24 days!

Carrie--THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for all of the work you've done on our shirts. I know what a headache it must of been!! Have you figured out what you are doing this weekend?

Lynne--Good luck with your exams!!! :wizard: Did I read that you are doing your 20 miler in WDW? First the Bon Jovi concert and now you're going to WDW? I just want you to know that I hate you. ;)

Cam--How's the foot?

I'd love to chat some more, but we are short staffed at work today, so I may actually have to earn my keep. Good luck training!!!

Krista princess:

Hi, everyone! Thanks for all the good wishes and concern about my foot. It is so much better today and the bruising is yellow now and the swelling is much improved -- good thing since I am in heels today! :teeth:

It is insanely busy at work, but I wanted to thank Carrie for all her work on the shirts -- it is going to feel like Christmas when they arrive! And I wanted to second Melissa's sentiments about heroes. It has been such a horrible year for our family in so many ways; having you all here to encourage me in my quest to take control of something and to maintain enthusiasm for such a lofty goal (for me) is absolutely a miracle. So, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. :grouphug: :lovestruc

Holy cow! It was 2 degrees here with the wind chill this morning. Going out to feed the horses at 5:30am I HAD to wonder what the HECK is wrong with us? Why don't we move South?!?! :sunny:

Well, I know why. My husband has four reasons. :flower:

But anyway....

Cam...Wow, sorry to hear about your foot. And I so hear you about those first few seconds on the TM getting up to speed. I like to think that my impatience is a good thing in this case. :teeth:

I have a funny story that only my DIS WISH friends would appreciate...

Sunday I was so tired and sore from SHOVELING SNOW (UGGGH!) that I didn't get on the TM until later in the afternoon. We have a small tv in front of the TM (Hey, two episodes of Golden Girls and I am done! :rotfl: ). On Sunday morning I had been reading Hal Higdon's book and had just finished the chapter on focusing, which quite honestly I don't do much. My walking is mostly mindless wandering then an "Oh wow, I've been on the TM for 35 minutes!" It's always a nice suprise but probably a bad habit. So I was determined to start paying attention.

However, I turned on the tv just in time for the start of the Travel Channel's "Behind The Scenes At WDW" :banana: :Pinkbounc :bounce: Which I had never seen! :earseek:

So I watched the entire show while on the TM and I couldn't tell you a THING about my walk. I was so engrossed in the show I never even payed attention once to my walking. :rotfl:

Say, does anyone know if you can buy a DVD of that show? :bitelip:

But this morning I did pay attention. OK maybe not for the entire 40 minutes. But at least I remembered that I was supposed to stay focused.

Baby steps, Honeibee, baby steps.

:cold:

I went to a specialized running store last night and inquired about my knee pain/illiotibial problem...the little cute running guy had me try on 3 different pairs of shoes, including the pair I already own (Brooks' Ariel) and then watched me run (his initial thought was that my current shoe might provide "too much" motion control). After watching me run repeatedly, he finally came to the conclusion that the Ariel was indeed probably the best shoe for me (he said it provided the most over-pronation support of just about any shoe out there) and probably my knee problems were a combination of upping my milage and worn shoes. My Ariels are only about 3-4 months old, so I thought I'd get a little more wear out of them, but at this point I'm willing to try anything that will solve the problem and keep me training--so I plunked down another $110 for a new pair. I also ordered a set of "PattStraps" (that go above the knee) off the internet after doing some research. He also showed me a different stretch for the ITB (putting your leg up on a table at a weird angle) that I could actually feel (versus the ones always suggested in the books/internet that I couldn't feel).

He advised me to only use my running shoes for running in order to extend their useful life...I guess you're not supposed to use your good support shoes for walking around WDW for 3 weeks (my big trip 2 months ago)... :rolleyes1

I hope this works...

I'm getting in on the group hug here! :grouphug:

It's funny how I feel more accountable to you guys, who I don't even know, than to people I see everyday. Sometimes I feel guilty posting on here if I haven't done my workout that day (what will THEY think?).

Most of my family and friends think I'm :crazy: for trying the Goofy. But you all understand.

Since others have posted their fave songs, I'll tell you one of mine. It's not a fast, up-tempo song but I take it as kind of my new motto. It's Tim McGraw's "Live Like You Were Dying". It's just the message of don't take anything for granted. Never know what's around the bend. So pick a challenge and just do it. No what if's, no regrets.

I'm thinking of putting that on my ipod, about every 15th song, to motivate me throughout the races. If my song calculations are right, I'll hear that song about 5 times during the marathon.

Just wanted to say THANKS! for being here and providing support and accountability for me.

Carrie - Thanks for a great job with the shirts. Can't wait to get them. :)

Terri

mazzypig said:
My Ariels are only about 3-4 months old, so I thought I'd get a little more wear out of them, but at this point I'm willing to try anything that will solve the problem and keep me training--so I plunked down another $110 for a new pair. He advised me to only use my running shoes for running in order to extend their useful life...I guess you're not supposed to use your good support shoes for walking around WDW for 3 weeks (my big trip 2 months ago)... :rolleyes1

I hope this works...
I hope this works for you too! I change my running shoes ever 3 months and never wear them for anything except running. So that could have been the problem. :flower:

Melissa - You even touched my evil queen heart! :grouphug:

Cam - :wizard: for your foot. Be careful girl! :teeth:

It sound like I hear taper coming! It sounds like everyone has just 1 more LLR and/or SLR and then taper time! :cool1: Just a warning....I can see some of you thinking you will not taper like you are supposed to. It freaks some people out to drop milage, but DO IT! Evil Queen says just do it.....or you will be sorry come the day of the 1/2 or full marathon. princess:
Bree, DH, and I have our last biggie this weekend. 12 and 24 :earseek: miles Thursday (if we don't get the ice storm) and 24 Friday. If the ice comes we will do 12 Friday and 24 Saturday. Most programs do not take you to 24, but Ron's does. If we do this, I will feel great about WDW Goofy!
Just been swimming, running SLOW, and biking this week.
Christa

I've been thinking about my favorite running songs and some inspirational sayings since we've been talking about this lately. So I thought I'd throw my favorite into the pot and see what you think. I highlighted my favorite parts. :)

We're Not Gonna Take It--Twisted Sister

Oh we're not gonna take it
No, we ain't gonna take it
Oh we're not gonna take it anymore

We've got the right to choose and
There ain't no way we'll lose it
This is our life, this is our song
We'll fight the powers that be just
Don't pick our destiny 'cause
You don't know us, you don't belong

Oh you're so condescending
Your gall is never ending
We don't want nothin', not a thing from you
Your life is trite and jaded
Boring and confiscated
If that's your best, your best won't do

Oh.....................
Oh.....................
We're right/yeah
We're free/yeah
We'll fight/yeah
You'll see/yeah

oh we're not gonna take it
Nh we're not gonna take it anymore

No way!

Oh.....................
Oh.....................
We're right/yeah
We're free/yeah
We'll fight/yeah
You'll see/yeah

We're not gonna take it
We're not gonna take it anymore

We're not gonna take it, no!

Just you try and make us
We're not gonna take it
Come on
You're all worthless and weak
Now drop and give me twenty
We're not gonna take it
Oh crinch pin
Oh you and your uniform

Krista princess:

I did 4 miles this a.m. 14:46 pace incl warm up. I can do better, but I guess at least its ahead of the sweepers. Then I spent the rest of the day cross training around town :teeth: Running errands for several hours, getting DS in & out of car seat should count for something, right?

3 weeks from today I will be checking into the Wilderness Lodge!!!!!!!!! I can't believe its so close.

Cam-glad your foot is doing better.

I hear you my Evil Queen-must taper no matter what :maleficen
That 5 miles the week before the race is going to be tough. I know I'm going to feel like doing more. Wait-who said that? Was that me talking? Must be those *#! aliens again :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter