Wk of Oct 15--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club

Very cool shadow box Krista, thanks for posting.

Question: I have a picture of my half marathon in email, how do I post it here? Also, are we having chat tonight?

Krista -- I remain incredibly impressed! You could make a fortune gathering up everyone's memorabilia and putting it together for them. :lovestruc

I forgot to post my pitiful workout from last night. Here is a cross-post from another thread:
keenercam said:
I was unable to exercise as much as I wanted. And it is all because of my WW weigh in. I stopped drinking water at 3pm and only munched a few carrots(after my WI but before the gym). I headed for the gym around 8 (after WW) without having had water for 5 hours and only about 10 baby carrots. I did a mile on the bike and then did 1.2 miles on the treadmill in 16:02 minutes (pace 13:22). By that point I was physically exhausted and my muscles hurt more than they should have. I was also feeling "off" and kind of off balance. I was sweating too much and could tell I was very red. I decided sometimes cutting a workout short is the healthy thing to do.

Yes, Judy, the bibs have our names, but I made the mistake of using my full name instead of my nickname when I registered last year, so that is what some people called out. Others red the huge "CAM" I wrote on my WISH shirt and called me by my preferred (nick)name. :teeth: Unfortunately, at DL, I registered as "Cam" and they still used my "legal" name on my bib. I am hoping they get it right for WDW 2007 and that my bib says "CAM". I only think of myself by that other name professionally. ICK!

A funny story -- My vision is really bad. I think I've mentioned that before, right? Well, when Howard and Mel and I were cheering during the Full last year I couldn't read the bibs, so I'd have Howard and Mel read all the names out loud to me of the marathoners that were heading toward us, all at once, so I could start screaming my bloody head off for all those people. When WISHers came toward us, I couldn't see them or their name tags but could spot the lime green shirts or scarves and would start screaming "GO WISH TEAM" before Howard and Mel got a chance to feed me all the names. Oh, and Mel's darling husband took the kids further back on the marathon route to where there was a playground and he would call ahead to Mel on her cell phone when there was a WISHer passing him so we could gear up to scream for them before they even got to us. I am getting goosebumps just thinking about how good that all felt. :goodvibes: Cheering on the full marathoners was one of the highest highlights of the weekend. Of course, I don't think any of us had voices after that. :teeth:

My twin recommended that I come and join the site. She found you yesterday, and was impressed by the support and genuine friendship that she found here.

We walked our first ever half marathon this past January, at the 2006 Disney Half Marathon. It was truly the most amazing experience of my life (aside from giving birth twice). I believe that she mentioned that I have severe arthritis in my right ankle after a very nasty car accident, and that it was by my request that we did the marathon. We walked as part of the Joints in Motion team, though we were more "hangers on" than an actual part of the team.

What Heather did not mention, was that though I have arthritis, it could have been much worse - I was told that I would lose my foot. Well - that never happened, and 5 years after the accident I completed my first ever half marathon. What a rush! It was a personal mission for me - I was NOT going to let my arthritis control my life any longer. I succeeded, beyond my hopes. This year, I will do it again, with a different goal in mind. Last years goal was to finish. That's it - nothing more, nothing less. Just get across the finish line under my own power. We did it - this year, I want to beat my finishing time from last year. And when I am in the hospital in February for surgery on my ankle (2 out of the 4 plates have broken and separated), I'll have my medal from the 2007 half marathon and the photo of our finish to remind me why I am there.

Heather and I started the marathon with one rule: We start together - we finish together - regardless....if one can't complete, then we both don't complete. We were in it together, and we finished, hand in hand, tears and all. What an incredible feeling. I hope you have room for one more in the support group that you have established here - I would love to be a part of it.

Nikki

Nikki -- How absolutely wonderful to have you here! :welcome: Your story is very inspiring and I really admire the dedication you and Heather had to each other to start and finish together. I am sure you will enjoy this year even more! It is so great that you came here and we will be so excited to cheer you and Heather on during the 2007 1/2 marathon! :grouphug:

:welcome: Nikki! You & Heather are amazing!

Sunny - my sister has applied to Trading Spouses. They told her after all the interviews & such that they'd call her if & when they find a good family for her to trade with. If they get picked, my BIL is in for the shock of his life. He thinks my sister sits around eating bon bons all day since she "only" cares for their 3 kids and babysits more! :rolleyes:

Krista - LOVE the shadow box! You have now inspired me to get off my behind and get the 4 or so empty shadow boxes I have in my basement and fill them with momentos from past races.

Ok, :moped: here. MfM, 32 mins., w3/r1:
Mile 1 12:15
Mile 2 11:40 :woohoo:
.71 miles 8:06

I was really, really wiped today. Not sure why. At least the numbers weren't affected! :confused3

Have to run. I should get something done (besides 2 games of Candyland) today on my, umm, cough cough, ahem, 'sick' day. ;)

For the very warm welcome - though I am not sure about the amazing part - just stubborn... :).

Are there any of you that are in the Grand Rapids area that would like a training partner? I could use the company, since my sister lives several hours away, it's not practical to train with her (though we keep each other informed of progess).

Again - thank you for the warm welcome - can't wait to meet those that will also be at Disney!

Nikki-- :welcome: and Howdy Neighbor!! :wave: (I live in the burbs and work in Allendale). Glad you found us as well. What a great story you and your sister have.

Judy-- You spent your morning starting at running shoes and drinking coffee?? Congratulations... you are truly "one of us" now. :teeth:

Krista-- I love that shadowbox as well. I'm not nearly that crafty. (Going into Michael's gives me hives... maybe it's the fake floral.... :teeth: )

I am all for starting to plan with the meets again as well. (Though I do still need to finish my January 2006 trip report......)

Kevin :earsboy:

I have to say - that I already feel very welcomed by the group. It's going to make doing the half marathon again that much better.

Which "burb" do you reside in? Anywhere near the Amway home?

:cool1: I had a nice workout today....I walked 3.25 miles in snow up to my ankles and by the time I was finished the bottom of my sweats were ice! lol. It was absolutely beautiful. :cloud9:

OK, here's my shadowbox. It actually has real significance since my adverse reaction to Levaquin caused me to throw out all of my racing memorabilia; including medals :scared1: :sad2:

(Dx rescued it).

shadowbox_06.jpg

OK, now for training.

I did 7 miles on the tm. Mostly .5% grade, a little at 1%

The first 5 miles had and average pace of 11:00 exactly :banana:
Add in mile 6 and the pace was up to 11:23
Add in mile 7 and the total average pace went to 12:00.

Oooooh I'm hoping for 10 minute miles again some day.....

Sunny

Sunny - I like your shadow box. That looks nicer than having them draped over your curtain rod!! :rotfl2: Good job on your training today. That is still a good pace. Mine are generally around 11mpm.

Sunny -- I love your shadow box!

cross-post from my journal (you can see my current crisis :rolleyes: ):
keenercam said:
Went to the gym tonight and did a 5 minute warmup at 4mph (.33 miles) and then did 3 miles in 40:08 (13:23 pace)

My new running shoes arrived tonight and I wandered around the kitchen in them for a while. The way the arch hits feels great, but my toes feel a bit crowded. I am reluctant to try them for any long distance -- I'd hate to end up with blisters. I guess I could take my old shoes with me to the state park and if the new ones aren't comfortable, I could change into the old ones. I had really hoped these would be a great fit since my old ones have been discontinued. I am really disappointed because I didn't fall in love with them from the first like I did with my current shoes. I have to face the fact that my old ones are just very heavy to take 26.2 miles. The new ones are a bit lighter. Not sure the trade-off in comfort is worth it. UGH!

I'll see if I am tech-savvy enough to post a pic of my Goofy shadow box. Gotta take a pic of it first!

Training drive-by report:

Today was 8 miles. It is a lot harder to run after a long day at work than it is to run first thing on a Saturday morning! Here are my splits:

10:05
10:53
11:32
11:31
14:04 (can you tell during which mile my phone rang?)
11:04
11:21
11:08
10:10 (.06 miles)
8.06 miles 1:32:19 11:27 avg.

My first mile is always the fastest because it doesn't include a walk break. Miles 3, 4, and 7 I couldnt decide if I wanted my jacket on or off. It was warm in the sun but cool in the shade and there was a slight head wind.

Welcome to the newcomers. The more the merrier!

Paul

Went to the gym this morning and just for the heck of it hopped on the treadmill to do a mile...WOOHOO I hit 11:02...next goal will be to get it UNDER 10:00, but I am happier than a pig in poop!!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Morning Everyone!

Thank you all for the great pictures of shadowboxes.....they all look great! :thumbsup2

Well, last night I did a little bit of everything for me:

Ellipitical - 20 minutes, difficulty of 6
Stationary Bike - 15 minutes, difficulty of 4
Leg extension - 55 pounds, 12 reps, 3 sets
Seated Leg curl - 55 pounds, 12 reps, 3 sets
Threadmill - 1 mile @ 5.1 pace, 1 mile @ 3.8 pace, 1 mile @ 5.0 pace

I kind of wish I did more but the fitness center was extemely hot last night! Very uncomfortable.

Well, have to go and start to get ready for work - Have a great day everyone!

Good Morning TEAM: :surfweb:

Yes, thank you everyone for your pictures of the shadowboxes. They look great and absolutely inspiring. Sunny, I'm particularly glad to see yours because I remember when you threw out your marathon medal and memorabilia in a bout of depression. I'm so glad you are back and getting better.

Here's my training. I went to the gym and did 4.6 miles on the treadmill.
5 min warmup
40 min @ 6.0 (10mpm pace)
5 min cool down.

It was a really good workout. My legs felt good, and I stretched afterwards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter