Wk of Oct 15--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club

OMG!!! No wonder you were so down!!! I thought it was just physical. And they've known about this since AT LEAST 2001????? That i sjust cscary.

I'm due for new shoes soon. I'm thinking Kayanos, but after teh Kinseis I have now, might just go back to my GT2100's (now 2110). I paid so much fo rthe Kinseis and they give me a blister on my arch after long runs. The store was so far away adn I did not notice until my runs got longer that I didn;t take them back. After payign so much, I couldnt't tell dh I didn't like them. I'm hoping to get new ones soon, but wonder if I shoudl stretch tehm becaus eI paid so much. Not feeling andy major problems, though. I know, I woudl tell others to get rid of the shoes. I'm just a whimp and feel guilty for paying so much. I think the arches are just too high fo my feet. Still I would pick them over my brooks any day. They just felt stiff and heavy to me.

I have to report my "first"....I ran one mile!!! :cool1: It took me 20mins, but it is my first run. After my mile I worked out on my total trainer for about 15 mins. Not sure if I'm going to love running, but I will mix up my walks to make time go faster...not sure how my knees will feel. lol

monte said:
I have to report my "first"....I ran one mile!!! :cool1: It took me 20mins, but it is my first run. After my mile I worked out on my total trainer for about 15 mins. Not sure if I'm going to love running, but I will mix up my walks to make time go faster...not sure how my knees will feel. lol
Wow! That's great! I can't run 1 mile.....yet. (Trying to stay positive!) I can walk 3 minutes and run 1 minute though - for 3 miles. :teeth:

See you in '08! :thumbsup2

Monte

Is it snowing at Copper? I don't know if you remember, but I lived in Breckenridge when I was a freshman in high school (yes, back in the 1630's), and this summer Martha and I spent a wonderful too few days there. Right now we are really struggling with the health of both of our mothers, Martha's job, and our overall mental state of living in Massachusetts. If you say great things about Summit County we're likely to quit our jobs, come back home, and live the mountain life.

And mixing up training is not just okay, for many of us it is a necessity. For me, at my age (50 :scared1: last month) I simply cannot run often as my legs won't take the pounding. Right now I only run 2 times a week, but I also do 3 hard bike sessions, and 2 good weight room sessions every week. Put these all together and get up to 300+ minutes per week of the cardio work through November and December, and I'm confident I'll finish the full marathon in a bit over 4:30 on January 7. It won't place but it will make me smile. And just as importantly, amaze my father in law. He never liked me anyway :teeth: .

Take care and good luck.

Craig

Kristi – Oh My I am glad you are all okay!

LOVE shadow box displays. I’ll have to do that for DH and myself.

Tiff – Thanks for the info about the 5k for the kids. Are you running in it or watching? We can’t decide which to do.

Looks like Kristi is doing the 5K on Friday. I’ll have to decide with DH.

Okay I am googling Kayanos. If they are that good, I gotta get some!! We’re headed to the “big City” this weekend and I may have to check them out!

I wear izumi pearls http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/18556990/c/57365.html
I love ‘em. I want a second pair of running shoes and will probably get these and rotate them. I have about 100 miles on this pair.

Monte – Way to go!! Running a mile is a big accomplishment! Congrats! :banana:

I had a rest day today. If you can call it that. I left the house at 7:10 a.m and worked 4 hours then ran kids all te rest of the day. Just got home at 7:15! If the world were just and housekeeping and childrearing burned calories, I'd be tiny!!!!!!!

Tomorrow, I am off work and heading to the gym early for a 40 minute run! Then Saturday, we are headed to Charlotee NC to shop and eat! We live in a small town and this is a big deal! Then our LR on Sunday.

Thanks for all the inspiring stories!

Just a quick post while I have a minute. Lynnda is doing better but I think she is having fun with making poor DH run errands for her while she is "resting". :teeth:

I went out tonight for a 4 mile run and had an 11:17 pace. It was hot and humid tonight and I thought it was supposed to be fall. :rolleyes:

Welcome to all the new members. Glad to see you here and hopefully we can encourage you during your training.

Bill

Cam – as for naysayers – I just usually get the “look”. I tell people that I’m in training to run a half and some just look at me like “Yeah, right.” :rolleyes: I’m can’t wait to wear my medal around them. (See, I'm trying to think positive here! :teeth: )

Kevin – I just read your report from last year. All I can say is – WOW! What a great experience. I can’t wait to experience the thrill of it all.

Carrie – I read yours a while back. :thumbsup2 I loved your report and all the pics! By the way – great song. I love the lyrics. Who sings it?

Krista – What a great Shadowbox! Your DH did this? I’m impressed.

Cam – I think I registered by my first name but I go by a variation of my middle name. So, if I hear people calling out my first name, I will probably think they are calling for someone else. :teeth:

Heather and Nikki – :welcome: Your story is very inspiring.

Paul and Sunny – :thumbsup2 on the shadow box.

Sunny - I never did take the Levaquin. I just couldn’t after hearing your story. Just reading your current reports, it sounds like you are doing better now. :goodvibes

Kristi – How scary! Whew for you DH! Glad those wires weren’t live! :scared:

Cecilia – Good luck on your upcoming half! Congrats on your LR. I’m impressed. :worship:

Judy – I’ve never known anyone to have such a love affair with their shoes until I came to this board. :lmao: However, I can see why now after starting some of these longer distances. My shoes are my friends so I’m right there with you. I currently run in Brooks shoes. I like them ok – I don’t have anything to compare them with though.

Good luck with the training everyone! :cheer2:

Just popping in really quick (not sure that I will get back on again until after Sunday).

Dave good luck on your half marathon!!! I can't wait to hear how everything went. I only wish that you were breaking the news this weekend - - I can't wait to hear the reaction. :goodvibes Anyhow good luck! You're going to do great :thumbsup2

Susie - The artist is Caleigh Peters. It's from teh Ice Pricess soundtrack. Highly recommended!!!! If you have a bad day, Fall is a great one too. I don't think the lyrics without the music do it justice, though.

We did 40 min tonight. 10:26? Not bad for b2b days. DH said our chart shows tha twe were slowing down at thtis time last year. We're speeding pu now. WHo knows. Just praying neither of us gets hurt.

We talked about posting sayings from mile markers a while back. I'm thinking it might be time.

If you're a champion, you have to have it in your heart. -Chris Evert

Finally time for another update from me...

Decided to give a full week of running a go starting on Monday, and thankfully managed to follow my training schedule of 3mi Mon, 5mi Tue, 3mi Wed, and 4mi Thur. The planned 7mi on Sat will give me a 22 mile week, most mileage since high school I think. These last few runs have felt pretty lethargic and sore, but it's nothing specific, just overall "why are you still clomping around you've already gone too many miles geez" soreness pretty much everywhere below the waist.

I've been wrapping my lower right leg which has been the more problematic of the two when it comes to the medial shin splints, and that has kept any sharp or focused pain from occuring. Probably going to start wrapping both once I get some more tape and proceeding as planned. Granted taking a week or two off would be best, but being a first time marathoner I don't think I'd be able to recover in time.

The good news is tonight was the first run with my new Forerunner 205, and it worked beautifully. Apparently I wear a pretty big watch normally, as I basically couldn't even tell it was on, a big plus. So much so that when I took a dip in the pool afterward to cool down from the humidity, I completely forgot it's only rated up to 1 meter for 30 minutes so it's not really "waterproof". :sad2: Appears to be fine though after a minor panic attack when I realized it as I stretched out on the steps of the pool.

So yeah, both DW and I have followed our schedules every day this week, although so far she is injury free and actually well ahead of where I was when I was training for my first half. She's also scheduled for 7mi this weekend, her first time running more than a 10k, ever.

Matt-It feels good to get all the training in doesnt it?! WTG! And tell DW great job too! I can tell how proud of her you are & I think that is so great :lovestruc

Nancy-Me & my mom will be watching the others do the 5k. I am afraid of doing something stupid & hurting myself so that I cant do the 1/2 the next day. Call me paranoid.

And to add to the shoe worship. There is nothing like putting on a brand new pair of Kayanos! Man they feel good. I didnt realize that my old ones felt bad, but there was just sooooo much comfort in the new pair :thumbsup2

Sunny-that is such a cute story about DS. Do you get a discout joining roadrunnersports VIP? It is hard shelling out $135 + tax for shoes each time :crazy: At least DH realizes that taking care of the feet is really important.

I'm headed out for my 4 miler after the kids leave for school. Happy Friday everyone!

I was able to re-start my training again last night - walked 3 miles. My ankle has been pretty sore lately, so I've been doing some strengthening excercises at home, and was finally able to start walking in earnest last night. Felt great. I was afraid that I would have to forgo the half marathon this year, but I think that I will be able to do it. Just have to strengthen my ankle and leg a bit more, and work on endurance rather than speed for now.

Anyone have a tip for keeping my ankle from hurting more when walking? I have tried the ace wraps and braces, but because I have a screw head right at the inside of the ankle bone (you can actually feel the head through the skin, it pokes through so much), things that rub against is make it more painful than to do without.

Nikki

Hi Everyone!

Judy - I am glad that someone else loves their shoes like I do. Thanks for the laugh!

Dave - The Piedmont Park run sounds like you ran close to the Peachtree Road Race Route. Alot of people complain about the hills on that route whereas people from North Atlanta are going "what hills?" I love the Piedmont Park area for running as long as I am with a group. Good Luck on your half marathon - I was going to suggest we do a virtual race - we both report our times and see who wins! Except that I am running with my team in training group and they won't let me run fast. They insist that I run my long training runs very slow and this is a training run. Of course they have to catch me to slow me down.....hmm.

Monte - How do you lace your running shoes? A guy at a running store taught me a way to lace my shoes that helps prevent them from slipping. Also, You might want to shop for shoes at a good running store where they might fit each foot and sell you two different sized shoes if thats what you need.

Well, Happy Running to all this weekend!

Good morning team!! Happy Friday!!!! :sunny: 78 days until the half marathon and 79 days until the full. :banana: :scared:

Boy, am I tired! You will never guess what mess Stephen got us into now. His Mom's birthday was Sunday, but he completely forgot (bad son!), I realized on Wednesday that we missed her birthday. I wasn't sure her exact birthday, but I knew it was around our anniversary (6 years tomorrow :love: :love: ). When I emailed Stephen he realized that he forgot, so he called his sister and we are now having a surprise party for her tonight so she doesn't know that everyone forgot her birthday. Stephen and I have spent the last 2 nights cleaning and getting ready, I have to rush home because his sister and Dad are coming at 6:30 to help decorate and Carol (Stephen's mom) is coming around 7:00. Does anyone need help throwing a fake surprise party together at the last second? Because now we are experts!! :rotfl: Now, on to training news, I ran 4 miles last night in 44:36, my first 3 miles my pace was 11:32 (ran on the treadmill) and my last mile was 10:36. My ankle felt fine, every once in a while I'll get a stab of pain and then it's gone, so I'm going to guess it's okay to keep running on it. My leg is still a little swollen, but there isn't any new swelling. I'm planning on 11.5 miles tomorrow, my "coach" Stephen advised me to do 11.5 instead of 12 so the jump from last week (9) won't be as big. However, if I'm more than a 1/2 mile away from home, I'm running 12. :)

Kristi-- :grouphug: I'm so glad that your son is okay! That is unreal. Have you been able to get back in the swing of training? I'm going to second Christa and say get new shoes. I think you definitely have too many miles on them.

Christa--Go Panthers!!!!! I need a big victory from then on Sunday.

Heather and Nikki-- :welcome: :welcome: so glad that you found us! This is a great group of people, but you can probably already see that.

Susie--Yes, Stephen made the shadowbox. I'm married to Martha Stewart. :p

Judy--Your shoes sound wonderful!! :cloud9: Stephen talked about getting the Kayanos, I'll have to tell him that you definitely give them :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2. I'm thinking about trying the Muzunio Alchemy's, just for something different.

Dave--Good luck on your half tomorrow!!!!!!!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: I can't wait to hear your report.

Carrie--Go MICHIGAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: (I really have no idea who they play, just wanted to give them a shout out. :teeth: ) You and Scott are becoming quite speedy!

Matt--Glad that your shins are feeling better. Take your time coming back and take the runs a little bit slower to prevent further injury.

Sunny--I love your shadowbox, that is gorgeous! Is Paul doing the half?

Cecilia--Good luck on your half!!!!!! :wizard: :cheer2: :wizard: :cheer2:

I know I didn't say hi to everyone, but I'm thinking about you all! This is how I feel about the Wish team: :love: :love: !!

Craig, it's snowing as I'm typing this....we have roughly 8-9" and still falling. A-Basin and Loveland are already open for skiing and we're opening on Nov.3rd. Every year we seem to open earlier. When did you move from Summit Co.? Alot has changed in the last 10 yrs. more developement, more part-time home owners and of course are pine trees are dying because of the pine beetle. The pine beetles are a big problem here.

Calcio said:
Monte

Is it snowing at Copper? I don't know if you remember, but I lived in Breckenridge when I was a freshman in high school (yes, back in the 1630's), and this summer Martha and I spent a wonderful too few days there. Right now we are really struggling with the health of both of our mothers, Martha's job, and our overall mental state of living in Massachusetts. If you say great things about Summit County we're likely to quit our jobs, come back home, and live the mountain life.

And mixing up training is not just okay, for many of us it is a necessity. For me, at my age (50 :scared1: last month) I simply cannot run often as my legs won't take the pounding. Right now I only run 2 times a week, but I also do 3 hard bike sessions, and 2 good weight room sessions every week. Put these all together and get up to 300+ minutes per week of the cardio work through November and December, and I'm confident I'll finish the full marathon in a bit over 4:30 on January 7. It won't place but it will make me smile. And just as importantly, amaze my father in law. He never liked me anyway :teeth: .

Take care and good luck.

Craig

Judy - I have Kayanos too :thumbsup2 I love them as they are cushy yet feel so light :lovestruc

Craig - Good to "see" you here again :thumbsup2

Krista - Wait a minute those Wolverines are playing my Hawkeyes!!! Go Iowa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I finally get to post for myself here. I got this sorry excuse for a runner back on the treadmill last night. I only did 30 minutes and then stretched by back and hip area very well afterwords. Man it was a long 30 minutes but I'm determined to keep it up. Send the chopters and hollar loud at me if I don't this time please :blush: :moped:

Wow....boy was it tough catching up on this thread LOL! I've not been posting BUT I have been training :). The injuries are getting discouraging.....but I'm hanging in there and really hoping for the best on my 12 miler this Saturday.

So I did manage my 10 mile run this past Saturday with an avg. pace of 10:01 mpm. It was such a hard run....I really felt my legs go around mile 8 and at that time wondered to myself HOW AM I GONNA DO 26.2??? :confused3 But looking back on it....what a milestone! 10 miles is such a big deal and I should be very happy to have just completed it....considering I've been plagued with injuries for over a month now. So i guess I really should be proud!!! :goodvibes

Unfortunately the knee really started bothering me again on Sunday and I'm still doing Physical Therapy 3 days a week! I see the running doc today and hope we can figure out what is going on with my legs. I was supposed to do 3 weekday runs and the 12 miler. I decided instead to substitute the ski machine for one run. My 5 miler on Tues was 9:27 avg pace and my 5 miler yesterday was 9:35 avg pace. The rest of the week has been XT. Today I think I will do some yoga in preparation for tomorrow's run!!!

Everyone is doing so well in the training! Count me in as another big fan of the Kayanos! Just got new ones a few weeks back and I tend to switch off between them and my Brooks Adrenaline!

Krista: Glad to hear you are able to run with your ankle issues!!! What was the diagnosis? I missed that! Mine is doing really well now thank goodness.

Cecelia: Wow...so impressed with your training schedule!! Congrats on almost reaching your TnT goal!!!! GOOD LUCK on your half this weekend! :thumbsup2

Dave: Awesome job getting those runs in while away. I have to say that every time I went away and ran my times were always slower...just the unknown factors, the new surroundings, topography can really throw a run off. But you did great for getting out there!!!

Matt: Sorry to hear about your shins! Take care of yourself. I know that can be one of those nagging problems :(.

Kevin: AWESOME job on your runs this past Saturday! Wow!!!! :thumbsup2 I'm very impressed with those back to back times you posted.

Bill: Nice pace on your 4 miler! WTG!!!

Craig: Thanks for posting about mixing up the training. I've been a bit discouraged with having to scale back the runs a bit with the injuries. Seeing that you are able to do so and still feel confident to pull off that great marathon pace! WOW! I really needed to read that today :). THANKS!

Monte: CONGRATS on running that mile!!! That's so awesome!! :cheer2:

Sorry I've missed so many....took me so long to catch up lol!

Hey everyone. Not much new in the running world with me. I did 35 minutes on the treadmill yesterday. I run better on the Y treadmills than my own. Tomorrow I have to get up at 6am, when it is still dark out and attempt 6 miles. Then I have to sit in a car for 3 hours. We have a family reunion of sorts. It was not planned very well and I was invited by an email that said the place, but no time! It's also my grandpa's 88th birthday, so that is the only reason I am going.

DAVE - Good Luck at your 1/2 this weekend!!! Can't wait for the report.

Is anyone else running a race this weekend????

If I register, I will be doing a 10K next weekend. It has turned very cold and rainy/snowy here. I checked out the topography of the race and it is hilly.... long climbing hills. I am not sure I will be able to do it. This may be my first DLF!!!! Actually, based off of last years times, I am pretty sure I will be the last one finishing. I want to finish in 70 minutes, but with the hills it may take me longer.

Now I have to slave away at work.... :surfweb:

Good morning and T.G.I.F! :banana:

Since I operate under the mistaken notion that I am organized and on top of everything, I finally started my Christmas shopping that I intended to do at the beginning of September. So I got a package yesterday and when DH got home he said "Oh, ANOTHER pair of running shoes??" Ha ha ha! :lmao: He was WRONG! But I thought it was funny. :rotfl:

Speaking of Christmas....I do love that time of year, but to be honest, well, I said the other day "I just can't wait to get this Christmas thing over with this year." I can't believe I said that, because honest I love Christmas, but well....It's just not the same anymore. DH spends part of Christmas Day just either driving to get the kids or taking them home. When they come to our house, it's just one more stop on their Christmas day rounds. They have Christmas at their house, then come to ours, then go to one grandparents, then another. It's terrible to say but they just come to see what they got, then they want to leave to see what they are getting at the next house. I wish they wouldn't be like that. That's not what Christmas is about to me. If you promise not to laugh, I'll tell you a little secret. Every year on Christmas Eve I make a manager in the hay, because....well...hey, you never know. No one ever sees it but me and "the girls", but it's sort of a little thing I do. Christmas to me IS about being in the stable. :goodvibes

Anyway, I'm not totally OT because I was thinking about tapering and the holidays. I think it will be tough. How did you guys handle it last year? :confused3 All those parties and visiting and shopping and all. I think I might just be a cranky witch. But then again, I guess no one will be able to tell the difference.

OK, I'll stop whining. :rolleyes:

This morning I did 30 min on the TM, doing 2 min walking @ 3.8 and 2 min walking @ 4.2. Sort of a tempo work-out. Then ten min on the bike. Tomorrow we are doing five miles outside.

I'm glad I made you guys laugh yesterday! :blush: Yay!

The NYC Marathon commercials have started on the local tv channels. They have ING Marathon Training Tips! Today's tip: Warm up before running at full speed. Gee, thanks! :thumbsup2

Monte - YAY! :cheer2: Thats FAB-U-LOUS! :banana: Doesn't it feel GOOD!?!?!?!?!?! :teeth:

Craig - Please! 50 isn't all that! Haven't you heard? 50 is the new 30! :goodvibes

Dave - Best of luck on the Half! :wizard: I'll be looking for a race report Monday. :thumbsup2

Krista - Oh man! Have fun with the party! :cake: Lets see some pics!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter