Wk of Oct 30--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in the 2006 and/or 2007 Disney Half or Full marathons. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
http://www.irongirl.com
http://www.marathonguide.com
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Pacing Calculator

Just added a cool new website, http://www.marathonguide.com. They have a pace band calculator that allows you to create and print a pace band to wear on your wrist to make sure you're staying on your split times. It's only set up for a full, but I just doubled the finish time to 7 hrs to see where my splits need to be for the half. Very cool!

Lisa...thanks for the tip! If not for you, we still wouldn't be posted!

MelR...incredible photos!

Helen...some new entries for the dictionary? Loo roll? Boiled sweets? I think I do understand the term, boink ;)

Tiff...sorry bout the stonker, but congrats on the 6 miles! :banana: :banana: It does feel good to have that distance under your belt!

Took in a daytrip to MK today. DD12 got straight-As on her first quarter report card and the daytrip was her chosen reward. Perfect day for MK...weather was nice, crowds were light. Only bad part was having to leave as everyone was coming in wearing their costumes for MNSSHP tonight. :sad1:

Okay, here is my commitment to train this week! Last week I used lots of excuses and did nothing in the way of exercise. I will be back on track this week. I bought new ASCICS GT-2100s today. They are purple & pink. Mel would love them! I am still trying to decide on my 1/2 marathon shoes. I like the cushy feeling of the ASICS. I will break them in this week and see how I like them for LRs.

Tiff-The woman in the egg costume beating you in the 5K made me :rotfl: I got beat by a 9 year old girl in my 5k in August.

MelR- Thanks for sharing the pictures. How do you keep from getting lost along the trail? Is the course well-marked? Just wondering.

Helen- Great job on the 1/2! Did you beat your arch nemesis (the woman from last year)?

Let's have a great week everyone! :flower:

Heather - the course is marked but the trails at this park are notorious for getting people lost. If you look at the pics, you can see blue blazes on the trees. This is how you follow the trail. There were tons of intersecting trails, so we did get a little confused a couple of times. The scariest thing was that we were just out in the middle of nowhere. My knee really hurt on the big downhills where the terrain was really uneven and I realized that I had to finish because there was no other way out! The only aid station was a bunch of water jugs sitting by the trail at about 11 1/2 miles!!! I had my garmin and it gave me a few weak signal moments, but you could use the map function to return to the start point. I also had a map, but the race director said not to use them because they were so bad that they were confusing. I think the best thing to have is a muddy buddy, which as you can see, I had and her husband was kind and energetic enough to run ahead and take our pics. He also carried our extra gear. What a guy

TiffJ - :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: OK.... I must have been skimming earlier, because I missed your GREAT race story!! That was so funny I had to read it to my husband! Did you get any pictures??? If so, please share them!!!!!!

Christa--what's up with your toe that you can run and not swim? I know I cannot swim for 3 weeks...do you have an open wound?

Lisa - I had an ingrown toenail removed on Wednesday. It is not bleeding or anything any more, but the Doctor said the pool germs could get it infected. Have to wait until I go back to see him on November 9th to get the OK to swim. Wah Wah Wah! :sad:
He is cool though. A runner who has done a marathon, so he "let" me start running Monday instead of waiting the full 2 weeks. I told him 2 weeks would not work for my training schedule. I guess he listened. :earboy2:

Christa

What can I say? You guys continue to inspire me!

MelR your race pics are amazing! What a beautiful race course, but for the life of me I can't imagine anyone actually running through those rocks unless they were being chased by something really, really scary! Of course, up to last year I couldn't imagine me wanting to do any kind of race on foot, much less a half marathon and now that's my long term goal! Who'd a thought? :confused3 Me, who was never a runner, even in my younger more fit days now really wants to do the half and be able to finish in front of the sweepers. That brings me back to your race, MelR - if you can do that then I can certainly get myself to the point where I can finish the half in 2007. Right now I just want to get down to a 16 min mile!

I tried step counting the other night. I found I was doing an average of 138 steps/min total with both feet, but I really do need to lengthen my stride because that still only gave me an 18 min mile. Unlike what I hear a lot of people doing, I really do take VERY short steps. What I did find, though, was that by keeping up that pace of steps/min by the last 1/2 mile of my wog, I actually found that I was jogging instead of walking without even thinking about it. It felt good, so I just continued to jog until I got home. I'm not actually sure when I started jogging - it just sort of happened, but I know I went at least 4/10 mile from the point I was aware I was jogging. That is probably the farthest I have jogged since I was in college, and that was a LONG time ago! :earseek: That was Friday. Yesterday I walked with DH and let him set the pace because he walks much faster than me. The only time I had to ask him to slow down was going uphill. That for me is really good! Then last night my legs told me that today needed to be a rest day regardless of any other ideas I might have for them! So today we rested. While overall I am still discouraged by the slow speed at which I am making progress, at least I do see that I am making progress. I do hope there will be a group here next year for the 2007 marathon because I'm going to be needing you to help me get there.

Chimera, here's a pic of the outside of the house. I'm waiting to get the boxes out of the dining room before I take any inside. DH wants those before we go back to CT next month so I should have some soon.

3453959923232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E2324%3D9%3A%3B%3D%3B68%3D796464b28333323%3D3232%3C536%3A8426nu0mrj

Nancy- I'll be there with you next year. I plan on making this an annual event (DH doesnt know that yet) You have plenty of time to get your pace down especially starting now. Love the house. I'm so jealous. I wish I lived closer to the mouse.

MelR-no pics. I need to get better about brining my camera places.

Today is my well earned rest day. Well rest from exercise-as far as regular mom duties, its going to be pretty busy!

Oh- did I tell you guys what oldest DS decided to be for Halloween- a marathoner. He has a track suit, one of my race numbers for his shirt . a head band and carrying a bottle of gatorade. It is so cute. This is another great motivation for me to keep this up. He is loving it & wants to keep racing. He's so proud wearing his first ever earned race t-shirt to school today. :love:

MelR-- great photos! That looks way too difficult. Last place is kinda cool-- a "PR" of sorts :p

Christa-- I'm not doing Goofy, but if my schedule doesn't allow any other time for a mid-length run then I do it the day before my LR. I found that Hal Higdon's Intermed. schedule and the Boston Marathon Rookie Schedule both call for mid-length runs the day before LR so I figure it can't be bad. Yeah for the green light on running on your toe! :moped:

Nancy-- what a pretty house! Congrats :)

Yesteray was rest except for the 2 hours of yard work! Today is interval training. I think I'll do it outside since the weather is BEAUTIFUL :sunny:

Sunny

Hi all! Way to go on your LRs! I'm taking myself off teh dl today and going 60 minutes. I'm a little scared, but I've felt OK since yesterday, so I hope to be on track again.

Have a rgeat week everyone!

I did it! I started the day off with a 60 minute run/walk. I am back on track! Nothing like 4 miles to start the day off right. :)

Good Luck, Carrie :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

I just stumbled upon a site with some good tips on carboloading and pre-race meals. I think it is especially helpful for those of us who suffer "tummy" troubles.

pre-race nutrition

It also mentions the importance of the pre-race meal when you are doing back-to-back events-- something you Goofies will need to think about :)

And speaking of nutrition, Helen-- what are boiled sweets? (I know what loo paper is :rotfl2: )

ETA: Actually, the whole site is pretty cool. I'm checking out mental training now.

www.theworldofendurance.com

Sunny

Look-It's official

Chicks
1 Natalie McBee 32 2:49:30 58
2 Debbie Lashley 45 3:06 41.5
Shirley Hyman 37 3:06 41.5
4 Barb Bellows 51 3:07 30
5 Lindy Biglieni 3:19 24
6 Melinda George 42 3:42 18
7 Sarah Stalder 33 3:55 12
8 Melissa Rhodes 35 3:55.0 8

Hey - They spelled my name wrong!!!!!!! If I'm going to be last, I want proper credit!

plutosmyfav said:
Christa-- I'm not doing Goofy, but if my schedule doesn't allow any other time for a mid-length run then I do it the day before my LR. I found that Hal Higdon's Intermed. schedule and the Boston Marathon Rookie Schedule both call for mid-length runs the day before LR so I figure it can't be bad. Yeah for the green light on running on your toe! :moped:

Well poo! I was hoping you were doing the Goofy we could run some together. After running a 1/2, I don't know if I could keep up with you during the full!! :smooth: I do back to back workouts too sometimes.

Nancy - Love the house! Congrats on your improvements. Don't give up. When I started 4 years ago (to lose baby fat from 3rd pregnancy) I could not even run a mile without wanting to die! :faint: Now my friends think I am a runner. (haha) :rotfl:

Well I did 4 miles today. Was going to do 5 but my toe was hurting. When I got home, it was bleeding and nasty. Pretty cool, huh? I must be sick in the head! I love the pain! :rolleyes: :confused3 :rolleyes: My pace average turned out to be 8.41 per mile. I started out @ a 9 min pace so I guess I speed up? Not bad I guess for having a bum toe.
I love all the pictures! Bree and I will have to post some of our route or maybe when we run the Charlotte marathon (December 3rd). Charlotte is a beautiful city and I have lost around 20lbs from the WDW pictures we showed you on the tricharlotte web site! :banana:

Later!
Christa

WTG Mel!!! Sorry about the misspelling of your name.

Christa--congrats on the run and the pace. Sorry about your toe. :(.

PT for me today at 1:15..hopefully, I'll get to get some cycling with that knee. The swelling...TO ME..looks like it is going down. Doesn't feel as fat as yesterday or even the day before.

Nancy -- Your house is beautiful! And yes, I'll be here next year, training for the Disneyland Inaugural Half and then for the 2007 WDW Half, as well (maybe even to jog that one!) Congrats on improving your pace. I think you will find that once you get very accustomed to taking that many steps in a minute, your pace will naturally lengthen a bit. I have been surprised to see that happen, even if it has happened very gradually.
Tiff -- Congrats on a great weekend!
Lisa -- You are one determined woman, aren't you? :worship:
Helen -- congratulations on your awesome finish!

Well, our weekend was a bit different than I anticipated. Howard and I got up at 6 on Saturday and went out and briskly walked 5.2 miles. I think our pace was right around 16, including lots of hills and going up and down curbs. UGH! His shins were bothering him so he was okay walking with me instead of running. We tried the Cliff shot blocks (?) and I like the consistency and the flavor (strawberry) so will try to use them again.

We were going to do a 5K yesterday a.m., but I'd been on my feet on concrete for 7.5 hours Saturday night (DD's home band competition) and Howard had been directing the field events. By the time we got to bed at about 1 a.m. we were wiped out. Yesterday dawned bright and sunny and warm, and we decided to drive DS12 to his cross-country championships and blow off the 5K. Instead we walked the most demanding varsity cross-country course at the state park (2.14 miles) up some incredible hills. Still felt like I got a workout instead of a rest day and I KNOW we did it below a 16 minute pace, because it took us around 30 minutes! BTW, DS had a personal best time with something around an 8:12 mile pace on that evil course. His team won the championships!

Will catch up with everyone else later! Getting DD's early decision college app ready for DH to hand-deliver to the University. Keep your fingers crossed!

I'm questioning the sanity of the Goofy Challenge :worried: .

Yesterday I ran the first half of the Boston Marathon course, finishing in 2:07. The pace was just a little faster than my target, but it was a lovely and cool day, and that pace felt easy and slow for quite a long way.

I felt strong until 10 miles, and then quickly began to fall apart. First heavy legs and fatigue, and then complete rigor mortis in the quads at about 11.5 miles. There's nothing like looking at your watch every 30 seconds to see how much longer you'll be in pain. Overall it was a decent effort, but it would have been nice to go a bit slower and then hopefully feel a lot better in the last couple of miles.

My fear relates obviously to the full marathon on Sunday. Blowing your legs apart at 11 miles isn't fun, but it can be tolerated in a half marathon. If you are instead doing the full marathon you're looking at 15 miles of pain and mental torture. Scary.

Add to this fear the 24 hour turn around. In 10 minutes it will be precisely 24 hours since I started the half marathon yesterday. Sure, I feel good enough to sit on my fanny in my office, and I can walk around and get up and down stairs with no difficulty. The thought of stepping up to a starting line and doing twice as far as yesterday is insane.

With yesterday's effort I feel good about finishing the half in a time and a physical state that will satisfy me. In contrast, I look at the full marathon course and see myself in bad physical shape at mile marker #11, by the Country Bears in Frontierland. There sure is a lot of course left after that point.

I don't have an answer right now, just lots of questions. In the words of Peter Ustinov as Captain Blackbeard, "this job takes innards," and I'm not sure that I've got them. Can I be sufficiently ready, physically and mentally to get to both finish lines? I have no idea.

Keep up your good work everyone (particularly MelR with a top 10!), and don't let my self-reflective ramblings discourage you. I'm scared enough for everyone right now :scared1: .

Craig

Craig - I think it's time to share my underachiever's philosophy of finishing goofy!!!! Given my recent last place achievement, I think I'm qualified to share.

OK - here is my goofy plan.... I already know there is no way I could win/place/or show in either the 1/2 or the full even if I wasn't doing both. So, I must ask myself, what is the goal then? Well, honestly, mine is to finish (any finish would be a PR on something I've never done before). So basically, I want the medal!!! My plan therefore, is to run both races at or near my training pace. I will have practiced this and therefore, baring some unforseen circumstances, I will know I can do it. Sure, I'm not going to finish either with a great time, but it is my first ultra and hey, finishing is big deal!!!! In fact, I'm totally fine with finishing dead last if I just finish :goodvibes I'm just going for the medal!!! I will admit though that I don't want to be on the course all day long. I want to enjoy some time at the parks with Phil and the boy. He is totally impressed with chuckycheese, so I can't wait to see his face at disney!!!!!

Having said all this... I have not done any back to back long runs yet. This week I'm going to do speedwork tues, 8mi wed evening and 17 thurs morn. I'll let you know if I'm freaking out at that point!!! I should also add that I have stopped questioning my sanity long ago because the answer to the question is clear :scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

Hey MelR you placed in the top 10 , too!!!!!

Great observation!!!! That is what I can tell friends and relatives who ask me how I did!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter