Wk of Oct 8--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club

Kristi-sounds like we have the same DH. He wouldnt move faster if his butt was on fire :sunny: Dont wear yourself out too much working! And getting in those steps will help with the stress.

Judy-I have to eat constantly when I do LR over 6 miles so I dont get lightheaded or dizzy. Let me know how the PB&J goes, I havent tried that yet. But I LOVE the Jelly Bellies!

Lynne-All I can say is WOWWWWWW! I want some of whatever you take to get the energy for all this racing plus school. And what a great cause too! :thumbsup2 I hope your mom has a speedy recovery.

Matt-Ohh, be careful with the shins. Dave has some good advise, since he's been battling that this year. :wizard:

Lily- Man, I want to come with you !!!!!!!! Have a blast on your trip! I cant even imagine doing back to back cruises. Way cool :cool1:

Nancy-talk about road hazzards :scared:

Fall Break is messing with my schedule but I'm still getting it done. Plus DH is going to the Auburn game so I have to figure out how to get my xt done tomorrow & LR on Sunday done. I'm doing 4 miles while they are at soccer today. Sorry for you guys that have snow. Right now is perfect training weather for me. Humidity has gone away & temps cool enough so I can train when DH gets home from work instead of getting up at teh crack of dawn.

Have a great weekend everyone!!!!

Good morning team!! :sunny: The :wizard: worked--I got a call from my doctor yesterday and no high ankle sprain or fracture!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: I just have a good old fashion ankle sprain and I've been cleared to start running again. He told me to start slow, wrap it with an Ace bandage to give support (but I'm just going to use my ankle brace), take Advil, and ice it after the run. I'm going to attempt to do 9 miles tomorrow, doing r2/w/2 and we're going to see what happens. Yesterday I went to the Community Center after work and did the elliptical machine for 50 minutes--that's hard!! I did almost 4 miles, how equalivent is that to running? And what is the crossramp? When I started it was at 8 or 9, I kept it at that for the first 30 minutes and then I started playing with it for the last 20 minutes and I had it down to 4.

Dave--Have a great time in Atlanta! Enjoy the heat.

Matt-- :wizard: for your shin splints. Do you have a treadmill you can run on? That will be a much better surface for your legs.

Lynne--What a plan!! Good luck on your upcoming IM's, I have no idea how you do it all. Pass along some :wizard: to your Mom.

Melissa--How is the boy doing?

Lily--Have a wonderful vacation!!

Sunny--Have you bought your airline tickets yet???? :thumbsup2 Whenever I do the leg press, I think of you. :teeth:

Kristi--Good luck getting those steps in today. It will be a great stress reliever to just get out of the house, clear your mind of every thing, and just walk. :wizard: for Chad's job!

Nancy--Snakes??? :scared: :scared: :scared: Between snakes, golf balls, and noodle soup, you're in a dangerous training area. Who knew?? ;)

DianeL said:
Mel & Kevin if we're blaming Carrie for the snow count me in.
:confused3 :sad1:

OK, and I had to drive from Brighton to Spring Lake at 9 pm last night in a stinkin' blizzard with white outs and snow covered raods. THen I come in to find everyone blaming me. Gonna' go pout now.

Krista - Yay!!!! :cool1: Good luck tomorrow!

Lynne - Thanks ofr the update on your mom.

Got home late last night, very tired this am. I know I missed a bunch. If the caffeine ver kicks in today, I'll try to catch up more.

TiffJ said:
Kristi-sounds like we have the same DH. He wouldnt move faster if his butt was on fire :sunny: Dont wear yourself out too much working! And getting in those steps will help with the stress.

OMG!!! :rotfl: I am so using that next time - "Chad, you wouldn't move faster if your butt was on fire!" :lmao: He is getting really tired of my daily "you are the slowest moving thing on the planet." :rolleyes:

Good morning.

For your Friday entertainment I will now give a demonstration in my overwhelming stupidity. :crazy:

First, a little background....In my 20's I was dumb enough to wear 3" stiletto heels to work, 8 or 10 hours a day. That got me a lot of dates, but I had no idea of the damage I was doing to my feet. Fast forward to my early 40's, and I ended up with feet that were a podiatrists dream. I had/have bunions on both feet and of course, the subsequent hammertoes. (Sorry if this is TMI!!)

I had bunion surgery on my left foot, because that one was the worst of the two. Then I had hammertoe surgery. (I have stories about both those operations, but that's for another post.) I have yet to have the surgery on my right foot, although it's getting worse, I can tell. Couple all this with the fact that my feet are just about as wide as they are long, and, well, it ain't pretty.

So, naturally, I always buy D-width shoes.

Remember my running shoe expedition a couple of weekends ago? In my excitement I chose two pairs that I THOUGHT fit me well. They were not wide, but they were both boxy enough to accommodate my platypus feet, I was sure.

Well, apparently they are...if I am just walking. Given the excess heft I am carrying around, I suspect my feet REALLY splay out when I am running. So in my unbridled enthusiasm I think I have bought the wrong shoes. The Sauconys aren't as bad, but the Asics are kinda of squeezing my feet. And they are starting to hurt. Especially my right one.

At first I attributed the pain to the newness. I was used to my old New Balance cross-trainers. I thought maybe because they were new, the Ascis were too snug. But now I think they are just too narrow for my old boards.

The good news is my DH wears the same size as me, so he's going to try them. I don't think I can return them because they already have nine TM miles on them.

Shoot. I really like them too. :rolleyes:

So, naturally, I went on-line and ordered a pair of Kayanos, in wide width. :teeth:

Did 45 min on the TM this morning. I mixed up my days by accident. I was supposed to XT today and I sorta did that yesterday. So today I did R1/W3 at 5.0 and 3.8 @ 1%. I even threw in two minutes R @ 6.0. :thumbsup2

Krista - I have tried Cliff Bars. They ain't bad! I like the carrot cake ones too! (Although I'd rather have REAL carrot cake, with cream cheese frosting.....But I digress.) :rotfl:

Kristi - Whoo hoo on your sub 12! :thumbsup2 We're booking now, baby! I have a question...who is that in the picture in your signature? :confused3

Monte - WHAT??? A WDW calendar? How did you get that?? And more importantly, how come I don't have one??????? :yay:

Sunny - OMG! All these office building must be the same! Today I am bundled up like I'm going to a football game or something. Thanks for giving my knees a good talking to! They must have heard you and obeyed because they actually aren't bothering me at all today. Of course, right, because I have an appointment with the OS Monday. :rolleyes:

Diane - We actually just bought about a dozen different bars when we went grocery shopping last night. I got another Snickers Marathon bar, and a couple of others I can't remember right now. Ummm, I kinda was actually just kidding about the PB&Js...but the more we talk about it, the better idea it becomes! :goodvibes

Lynne - :wizard: for your mom! I bet in the long run she'll be really glad she did it. I can't even keep up with all the events you have planned. My goodness woman, you're AMA-ZING! :worship:

Lily - Oh Lily! HAVE a fabulous time! :boat: We will miss you here! Take lots of pics!!!

Matt - Oh no! Oh no.... :hug:

Christa - You crack me up! :rotfl2: Really, I was just kidding about the PB&Js, but hey, at least they wouldn't splat like the banana if I stepped on them!

Terri - Geez, I've been hearing that so much. :sick: I came back from WDW a couple of weeks ago with a heck of a cold that naturally turned into bronchitis....Hope you feel better!

Nancy - OMG! Maybe you should ride on one of those hockey helmets! Darn golfers! A 6' snake??? :scared: EEK!

Dave - Have a safe - and warm - trip! :moped: Hey, DW works with you? She doesn't see your mail, does she????

Tiff - I eat constantly no matter what I'm doing! popcorn::

Krista - YAY!!! :Pinkbounc THAT is very happy news!

Carrie - I don't blame you for the snow! Don't listen to them!! :snooty:

Shocking announcement!!! I did all my training this week. I actually ran more than i biked or mt. biked or climbed!!!! Hey.. maybe i'm going to be a runner again after all! I did 3 miles on the tm while the boy sniffed and watched the backyardigans.

Krista - thanks for asking about the boy. He still has a cold, but i think the fever is gone. He seemed to do much better last night than the previous night. I'm so glad that your x-ray turned out ok!! What a relief!!!

Nancy - I've been watching the primal quest too. That is exactly like the races we do in disciplines. It is obviously much, much longer and more extreme. I'm not sure my body could ever endure the length of an expedition race. The longest we have raced is 25 hours. I think anything beyond that and i would have to sleep. I actually start seeing things around 20 hours w/o sleep!! It was a little encouraging to see the top notch adventure racers struggling w/ the same things and in the same ways as we do. Watching ecochallenge (much like primalquest) is what got me interested in adventure racing. I actually started running as a form of training for the adv. races. I started about 2 yrs. and 2 months ago!!

Dave - I hope your little one is ok. It is so hard to have a sick one at home. I think the boy is feeling well enough to venture out to wal-mart today, so i'm off to shower off the run and get ready to go.

Christa - I think your goal of going to boston is great, but I actually think you could be an adventure racer instead. You like the dirty stuff!!! You like the torture. I'm thinking you need to get some of your tri sport folks together to give it a shot.

Sunny - i love it when you are avoiding work, b/c you visit us more often!!! I'm glad your training is back on track. Aqua track that is :teeth:

Oh I need a swift kick in the butt from somebody, or mayb a lot of somebodies. Dx got a free timeshare for this weekend in the White Mountains (peak foliage) which means I won't get a chance to do my long wog. So, I dropped DS off at before school at 7AM with the intent of doing my 9 miler and going into work late. Instead I went right back to bed :furious: :furious: :furious: And I didn't wake up any more rested than before. AND I sealed teh deal with two giant cookies at 7AM :confused3 :furious: Grrrr. I tend to be an "all or nothing" type of gal :rolleyes:

Matt-- I'm so sorry to hear of the shin splints. Can you increase your stretching and switch to DWR for a while to let them heal? :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Lynn- Yes, definitely certifiable. But I'm so glad to be called your friend, 'cause I brag about you all the time ;) Just yesterday I told my new office mate about your Ironman, making sure he fully understood what that meant! Thanks for the update on Nancy, tell her we're all thinking of her and hoping for speedy recovery. :wizard: I'll visit your fundraising site. That's a terrific idea.

Judy-- I remember having a conversation with an engineer many years ago about gender isssues in the office. His response was; "men will start taking women seriously when they start wearing sensible shoes"! No Joke!!!!! My criteria for shoes has always been "could I walk if I got stranded" and "could I run if I had to" so I've never ventured into the stilleto world :rotfl:

MelR-- I've done a lot of bragging about knowing you, too. I've shown family and friends the picture of you hanging from the bridge and say "that's what she does for fun" :rotfl2:

Krista-- How are those leg presses coming? I'm afraid I am retired from leg presses and squats and shoulder presses :sad2: My only regret is I never got a picture of a 600lb set as proof! (Then again, maybe my regret should be that I did 600lb sets :confused3 )

Carrie- don't feel bad about being blamed. Everyone blames my sister when it rains! In fact, we call her Eeyore.

Lily-- you're in rare form ;) :rotfl2: I agree with your slippery road solution. If there's a chance to slip I hit the TM. There are metal claw thingys you can strap onto your running shoes but it's just not worth the risk to me.

Oh, I'm upset. They are doing a "Science Saturday" here at the lab tomorrow. When I went to get my tea, they had Star Wars playing big as life in the auditorium. Plus all sorts of cool equipment was being tested for the demonstration tomorrow. DS would LOVE that, but we have other plans. Maybe he can catch the liquid nitrogen demo. He's taken to making many messes at home in the name of science :rolleyes: How could I say no, and curb his curiosity!!!!

OK, I must justify my existence for a couple of hours....

Sunny

Thanks everyone for the well wishes on my surgery and for a quick recovery. The pain level is tolerable because the inserted a pain buster into the joint as part of the surgery. I slept most of yesterday and feel much better today.

Here is a picture of Lynne and I after the ATM last weekend. I haven't had a chance to take a picture of the medalion the give our for finsiher medals.
10755-407-016t.jpg

Everyone is doing great with their training.

Sunny - take it easy and go slow getting back into exercise.

Judy - you are doing great. You won't have to worry about the sweepers with your corrent pace. Hope they don't find anything wrong with your knees.

Jodi -good luck with your half.

Dave - keep training but don't get hurt. You have to stay healthy for WDW.

To all those racing this weekend - have a great time.

OK it was a little chilly today..I really feel bad saying that b/c I know some of you would think 50 was down right balmy.....but I get cold really easy lately.
Anyway!
I wore shorts and 2 cool max shirts (one was my "run Disney" shirt) and a cool max tank underit all. I had gloves b/c my hands were really cold...basically I has on the exact same clothes I wore for the marathon last weekend....But who cares... :confused3
Started off with the fellas then decided that I would go it alone. I finished 10 miles in 1:26.07... :banana: that ave out to be 8.36.7 MPM but here are my splits as good as I can remember...they are off by about 1 min and 87 sec. I don't have a Grimlin :rotfl: so this is as good as I can remember from my little lap watch. :goodvibes
1 - 8.13
2 - 8.13
3 - 8.01 down hill some I guess...
4 - 9.00 had to stop at 3 stop lights
5 - 8.54 2 more road crossings and a BFH
6 - 8.50 I WISH I had brough a Gu..but I didn't
7 - 8.09 KEWL!
8 - 8.30
9 - 9.04 Stop lights
10 - 8.47
And that is about what I did. I could tell my legs were still tired from last week, but the run was fun (and HILLY)!
16 next week.

Thanks for checking in Kathy! Glad you're doing well!

Christa - Way to go!!!!! :cool1:

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:
Good luck to all the weekend racers and on all teh long walks/runs/wogs/jogs/swogs!!!!!

Krista – So glad to hear your ankle’s just sprained (though, still, ouch!) and I wish you a speedy recovery. Elliptical workouts are serious work! I don’t know what the elliptical-running conversion is, but just getting our heart rate up for 30-plus minutes counts for a good day’s workout, even when you’re not injured! Good luck tomorrow on your 9-miler… and don’t forget to ice it afterwards… reducing inflammation sure should help it heal.

Christa – Wow, great job with your 10-mile run!! Do you have a goal pace/time for Disney ’07?

Re: Cliff Bars – FYI: California COSTCO’s sell them… 24 bars for $18.99

Re: Pace times -- Anyone want to share their goal times? I am motivated by fast runners, and highly inspired by the commitment and perseverence of those who are on the course for longer periods of time.

Re: Treadmill Training -- Who trains on a treadmill? Speed work? Tempo runs? Long distance runs? At what incline? Do you find it easier than a road workout?

:yay: Enjoy your training, everyone!!

Good sleep, good food, good thoughts,

Teri

Judy - I ordered it through Disney merchandise department, at 407-363-6200. I purchased a wall calendar, which cost $18.95 that includes shipping, tax, etc... I really enjoy the photo's and the dates of when the rides were opened.

Hi everyone! It's been a while since I've posted. :blush: I'm not very happy with my training but it's the best I can do right now.

I'm following the MfM training guide for the 1/2 in January. I'm trying to do the Walk/Run plan. This is week 2 and tomorrow I supposed to be doing a 3-miler. You guys are just so awesome with your posted times! I'm almost ashamed to even post what I've been doing. Now,don't laught but at this point I'm just thrilled that I've been able to walk/run 2 miles a little under 32 minutes. We're supposed to be able to maintain a 16 minute-mile, right? If that's true, then aren't we also supposed to be able to finish in 3.5 hours? If I do the math, then isn't 13 * 16 a little closer to 3.75 hours? I may need those extra minutes!! :teeth:

Kathy, sending you :wizard: for a speedy recovery.

Mel, watch out for the dog poop on the Big Dam Bridge. I hear it was quite a problem at first. I wonder if it still is. :crazy2: :sad2:

Stephanie - :welcome: from another Arkansan! I live in the Russellville area. I'm new to this running/walking thing. I like it but I'm not very fast yet. I'm going to try to run in the LR half-marathon this next year. I'm trying to train for the half at WDW in January but I don't know if I'll be ready by then. I need all the pixie dust I can get!

Denny - Your story is incredible! I probably would have thought that all those mishaps were a sign that I should skip the race. Way to go! :thumbsup2

Sunny - Here's a kick in the *** for you. However, sounds like something I would do so it's just a soft kick. :teeth:

Terri - :welcome:

Judy - you are an inspiration. I can't wait to have a 12-minute mile!

For anyone - I've heard that mixing the gel with a little water helps the medicine go down easier (as Mary Poppins would say). My DH has this little Gu Energy gel plastic bottle designed to carry with the gel and water mixed together. Has anyone tried this?

Also, a friend of mine told me about a great engery snack that she eats before her long runs. It's Dr. Steins Bagel Engery Bars. It's kind of an oblong bagle that contains raisins, nuts, apples and cinnamon. She said she buys a box of them at Costco in Dallas and someone mentioned that they have them in Sams as well. She also said that it's recommended by Weight Watchers. Has anyone tried this?

Keep up the good work, everyone! Hope you have a good weekend! :cheer2:

Kathy- Good to hear that you're doing okay.

Lurking here because haven't been training as much as i should. 12 miles last week, none this week.
Seeing a Rheumatologist in 2 weeks to rule out Lupus, Lyme etc. Dr. said maybe Fibromyalgia.
Start WW again next week. I'll try Core for the first time because of the posts. I spend too many points on junk.

Thanks for posting everybody. I have learned so much from this board.

No matter what i will be in WDW in January, hopefully finishing the Full. but if not i'll be cheering everyone else on. Airline tickets are bought. ADR at 1900 Park Fare for DD5. Her Princess dress just back from the cleaners and bought her a floral faux fur jacket at Gymboree to wear with it.

ok guys i want to join in the fun, really i do, how do you all keep up with this thread?? :confused: :laughing:

i LOVE that donald clippie -- can I use it??

Nancy - Watch out for those flying golf balls. They can be dangerous!! :duck: Thankfully I don't run by a golf course, however, as scary as it sounds I run right past a gun club. I think the balls would be safer!! :confused3

Judy - I am so sorry. You were so excited about those shoes too. :guilty:

Christa - You're my HERO!! :cheer2: You go!! I keep telling myself I'll get below a 9 minute mile one day!!

Alright, well, even though I was seriously doubting myself, after the pain in my legs and the fact that I missed a week of running. I did it! I got out there this morning and ran 12 miles in 2hrs 1 min and 52 sec. :woohoo: That's like a 10:09 pace!! I didn't really feel any pain in my legs while I was running, a little tenderness in my right knee, but nothing in my shins. "O" and another thing..... it was freakin' COLD. And I don't really care if you guys think I am crazy, but here in Florida 55 is darn near freezing. I couldn't wear my long sleeve WISH shirt because I would get too hot, but if I took it off I got too cold. People running by watching me take my shirt on and off over and over again must have thought I was NUTS! My hands were FREEZING and I didn't even think about the fact that I might need gloves. Again, we don't use those down here. I don't know how those of you from farther up North can handle the cold.

Unfortunately, as I finished up my run and called DH I found out that Michael (DS5) was sick. :sick: So I have spent the day with my 5 year old literally doing nothing but sleeping. He was throwing up this morning, but hasn't eaten or drank anything since then. He has just slept on the couch for the past 3 hours. I hate it when my boys are sick.

Well, I hope that everyone has a wonderful weekend. I will check back in later.

Dana

These are the mainly the ones that everyone is using, and as far as I am aware they are open to anyone who wants to put it in their signature.

Mickey_wFeetSmall.jpg

donald07_wFeat150.jpg

goofy_clippie.jpg

2007MarathonWeekend.jpg

Well, my LR went okay--5.2 miles but don't know the pace--nor am really concerned about it--more of a goal of finishing. Anyway, DH was feeling yucky during the run today, so we did a lot of walking. I did finish under an hour though! Almost had to cancel the run--DS woke us up at 3am this morning screaming and he was burning up. I gave him some Ibuprofen and he calmed down--my sis watched the kids so we could run this am and DS seemed fine for her. We'll just have to see!

Dana--hope your DS starts to feel better soon! :grouphug: LOL about the "cold" and taking your shirt on-off-on-off!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter