Worst Things About Hollywood Studios?

Lack of shade.
This. My worst memory is getting overheated on Grand Ave. and having zero places to cool off without walking to another section of the park. The strange two leg design (with one being Toy story land and the other Sunset Blvd) means that I can't just stroll, I have to double back in the sun. And if I get caught on Sunset Blvd I don't even have an indoor dining option to go sit and drink something cool at. (sorry this is a "hot" button issue for.)

The worst thing about Hollywood Studios, in my family's opinion, is that it does not measure up to any of the other parks in any way. Food, theming, rides, overall feel - the other three parks are quite different but fairly well-matched in these categories, with some slight differences depending on personal preference. Hollywood Studios does not even come close to measuring up to any of the other parks, in any category.

Everything that's already been mentioned and....layout of the park.

Its definitely our least favorite park as well. I actually really do enjoy the IPs, and I think it's a great place for them. But I have zero interest in a fake recreation of Hollywood(although this part seems to be slowing dying off).

+1 for layout.

I feel sometimes that we walk more in HS than we do in MK (I know it can't be true, but it certainly feels that way).

The entrance. In my opinion, it has the worst main street entrance of any Disney park. There is nothing of value until you get to the fountain just before Brown Derby.

The stores are fine, but instead of the hidden jungle of Animal kingdom that opens to a stunning view or the Iconic Spaceship earth we just get a reproduction of another famous place at the end of a street with nothing but clothing and Starbucks. Maybe if the shops felt more unique or there was a few food places spliced in between them, like in Magic Kingdom, it would help.

I understand that Hollywood Studios is small and that trying to compete with a castle is sort of unfair. But I feel that a redo of the whole main street could solve multiple problems.

-Adding some more unique quick service, to help the park in its weakest element: the food

-Opening it up a bit so it feels bigger

- Getting it up to the same standard as the other parks

Ha! Oh, there' are a few spots, but not too many. Epcot is your saving grace there with lots of options, but if you haven't tried Satu'li at Pandora, that's a great one too.

Satu'li is usually our "go to" for AK. We went to Flametree last trip and it was just ok.

Satu'li is usually our "go to" for AK. We went to Flametree last trip and it was just ok.

Yeah we enjoy Flametree but it's a tad overrated. Always, always always happy with Satu'li. THey need to clean up the flame tree seating area a little better. Its gross in there at busy times.

And are they still playing that Star Wars “mashup” film for the 17 people that have been living under a rock?? That is getting a little long in the tooth as well...

I'd agree with what most people said. The layout seems confusing to me; no real "flow" to it, the lack of restaurants that are appealing and honestly the lack of rides. I know they are adding rides as we speak which is good but to us, HS is a half day park and if we didn't have hopper passes, we would skip it all together. My kids aren't super excited about shows, therefore HS is lacking in attraction for them. Also this park seems to be the least "themed" in my opinion.

Needs more shade in general, there's so much open concrete that it always feels like the hottest park. And I thought AK was bad enough! I also think it could do with another covered/indoor QS. I'm okay with the Commissary for one meal, and Backlot Express wasn't bad (liked the cuban sandwich) but I don't like how the other food options are outdoors with very limited seating. The trouble we had trying to find a table to eat our funnel cake!!

Hey everyone! For those who don't watch our shows or vlogs, I'm Craig - the producer of the DIS Unplugged! We are working on an episode about the worst things of Hollywood Studios, but want your input. We personally think that the shows and upkeep of the park are among the worst, but what else would you add to our list! Chime in and we'll add your feedback to our show.

Yet another vote to improve CS options. I'm by no means picky but there is NOTHING I want to eat at HS. And as others have said, BatB needs srious update/upgrade. I'd like to see Hunchback return...

Lack of excellent table service dining options. Brown Derby is great, and its outdoor lounge is a tradition at this point. But that is not enough for a theme park when you compare it to the others Disney has in Florida.

Epcot is a paradise for choices of restaurants. So instead, let's compare it to AK and MK.

AK has 3 consistently positivley reviewed Table Service Restaurants: Tiffins, Yak and Yeti(so good), and Tusker House. MK has Skipper Canteen, The Plaza, Castle, Tony's and Be our Guest. Not all of those are good, but the monorail and boats extend MK to have multiple other TS restraunts at resorts with some truly great signature dining as well. So MK feels like it has more by extension. Easy access to Trail's End alone makes MK better.

Look, there is nothing ludicrously wrong with Mama Melrose's(other than location, its so hidden). It is fine. But it pales in comparison to every other Italian place around it. Whether that be at the Swan & Dolphin, Boardwalk, or Epcot.

50's Prime Time has been bad for a while(subjective).

Hollywood and Slime

Sci-Fi is awesome themeing with decent food(its pretty pedestrian tbh), but its just better burgers and fries for more money and time. Its not unique food wise. But its fun. Needs a more fun and unique menu using the same style of food. However, little kids are crying in there due to the "fear" of the movies a lot(at least for me). So theming wise im not sure little kids all love it, this is subjective of course.

50's Prime Time and Hollywood and Slime need redo's. Sci-Fi could use a more creative menu, nothing weird but more unique burgers and Appetizers could help.

Last edited:
Yeah we enjoy Flametree but it's a tad overrated. Always, always always happy with Satu'li. THey need to clean up the flame tree seating area a little better. Its gross in there at busy times.

I have never eaten at Flametree, but I'm from Memphis. There is so much great barbecue here that I am not too apt to try it anywhere else (well, unless that place is also a BBQ capital like Texas or Alabama or such). I'll admit, it smells pretty decent, but I just can't bring myself to try it.

It feels very disjointed and there isn’t much to do especially with a little one. My 5 year old daughter and I are going down this summer and this is the park we’re only gonna do a half day in.

She’s too young to ride ToT and RRC. And I’m not even sure she’s going to wanna ride Slinky Dog. So we can knock out most of the rest of the rides and shows in half a day.

The food also is lacking. We have a reservation for SciFi because we love the theming, but the food is pretty basic.

For us it's because it is not a multi-generational park. I go with my kids (tweens) and my mother who is almost 70.. Granted there are some 70s year olds who get a kick out of RNR, Star Wars etc.. but not mom. She phycially cannot do it. The poor thing has sat HOURS in the AC at the ABC comminssary, bored waiting for us.. That is the only option she has to sit or do anything, anywhere indoors where it is cool.

... We gave up HS for her last year.. We are smart now and let her hang out at the resort and we meet up later.

she loved the Great Movie Ride while that lasted, has seen all the shows... Lights Camera action was though too loud and HOT for her. When the kids were little she couldnt do the Disney Channel show ( Really Disney are you gonna make adults and old people sit on the floor!!! my mom would not phycially be able to do that).
She is mobile but cannot really do any type of "action" rides at HS.. the TSM she can do.. But that is the only ride...

at ecpcot she can do all rides except TT and Mission Mars.. AND look at the shops to keep herself busy, plenty of indoor places to sit. .. AK; she can walk around, take the train, bugs life. safari more shows, zoo, plenty of indoor places to eat at QS and sit and wait for us.

.. and off ourse MK,, she can ride anything like POC etc.... the mountains, or SM no. She loves the people mover.. that is her type of thing. Plenty of indoor, cool things for her to do.

Edit: added one more point: it's not a park you can simply stroll for hours and take in the sights. There is just something missing there. I can spend hours at the other parks and not ride anything and be happy.. HS is a place I run in with my kids and ride the rides we want and then get out.

one more thing.. those bus stops are really too far out there. parking trams are closer to the park than those bus stops.

Last edited:
Prior to TSL, SW:GE and MMRR, I would have said lack of attractions. By year end, it will have nine rides, none of which I would call “filler.” Between that and all the shows, it’s a full day park.

That brings me to my second point: the shows aren’t very good. That is the worst thing about the park. Fantasmic is good if you’ve never seen the Disneyland one; but if you have seen the Disneyland one, DHS’ Fantasmic is outdated. Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and the Stunt Show are all very outdated. I love Muppet Vision, but it needs some sprucing up as well. I love that DHS has invested in more rides, but it would have been nice to see the shows properly updated over the years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter