Would anyone like to join me & be a volunteer for the Full Marathon? UPDATE 9/10

Kim--For your sake, I hope Disney doesn't run out of water/Power Ade at miles 19 and 20 like they did this past year. I can't even imagine how stressful that must have been for the volunteers. There are 2 different courses (red and blue) for the first 3 miles or so until they merge into one course, so you will get to see everyone at water stop #22. :goodvibes

Yaaaa I want to be able to cheer everyone on!!!!!

Lets hope they learned from last years mistake, that sounds like it was so dangerous for all the runners.

Kim

I might do this if I can get an early time slot (a 3:00am to 8:00AM sounds good). A few questions to my fellow WISHers first: (1) as a first time half marathoner, if I continue to train regularly without set backs to my back and hips recovery, any guesstimates (I plan to ask about post race recovery tips as we get closer to the event) as to how I might be feeling the next day and is it realistic to think I could do this physically; (2) would any WISHers want to risk spending 5 hours with me without the ability to walk/wog/run away; (3) would the WISH shirt be required (mine will probably be on the odiferous (sp?) side and I would rather not spend my Saturday post race basking in a laundry room); (4) As I don't have access at work to the Disney site, could anyone send me information regarding volunteering and verify if #2 waterstop Red is going to be the Team WISH water stop; (5) is some kind of transportation available (I won't have a rental car, but would have no qualms taking a cab they're available); and (6) finally for now -- any other volunteer willing to make sure I am awake after I hit the snooze button several times and probably hang up on Stitch and Mickey (sacriledge I know, but hey it will probably be 2:00AMish).

Any info you guys can provide would be appreciated and I would look forward to being able to spend time with the some of my teammates.

Lets hope they learned from last years mistake, that sounds like it was so dangerous for all the runners.

Kim

I can tell you from experience, it wasn't great, but I can say with a fair amount of confidence, after the backlash this past year, that will NEVER happen again. It wasn't poor planning on Disney's part, it was the extreme conditions and people taking multiple cups of water or Power Ade. I bet they will have so many supplies in January it will not be funny. :)

Kristi - OK I'll do it but only if I can be with you. ;)

Hey....

Celebrate the 15th Anniversary WALT DISNEY WORLD® Marathon Weekend with family and friends! Reserve a volunteer location for your group of 10 or more. Please call 407-938-3880, Option 3, or email wdw.sports.enthusiast@disneysports.com for more information.

NE Bill--Honestly, since this is your 1st marathon weekend, I say you need to enjoy the weekend and on Sunday bask in post half marathon glory and don't worry about volunteering. There will be plenty of other races you can volunteer for, but as this is your first event, enjoy it! I've done 4 1/2 marathons and 1 full marathon and this is my first time volunteering. I think it's time for me to give back a little. And you might be a little sore the next day, but not to the point where you won't be able to walk normally, although I'm not sure how great being on your feet for 5-6 hours will feel. And wearing a Wish shirt is not required, I don't think we'll have an official Wish water stop as Kim and her husband are volunteering someplace different than Kristi and I.

NE Bill--Honestly, since this is your 1st marathon weekend, I say you need to enjoy the weekend and on Sunday bask in post half marathon glory and don't worry about volunteering.

Okay--coming from a veteran, I'll probably heed your advice. I'll either shoot for the EMH morning park or, more likely, just look for scream teamers around BWV or in EPCOT later in the day. (I'll be the big guy with a Donald medal (just keep positive ... just keep positive ...) and probably some kind of NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS shirt. ;))

If we get the 10 people I would more then willing to change to #2......that would be so much fun.

I do plan on wearing my shirt but I will definatley wash it Sat night.....lol

Bill we will have a rental car...what resort are you staying at??? We are at POP so if we are at the same aid station we would be more then willing to give you a lift.

I know I will be sore on the Sunday also but I was planning on getting there early to cheer everyone anyways so this worked out great.

Kim

Bill we will have a rental car...what resort are you staying at??? We are at POP so if we are at the same aid station we would be more then willing to give you a lift.

I know I will be sore on the Sunday also but I was planning on getting there early to cheer everyone anyways so this worked out great.

Kim

Krista: I am not yet dismissing your advice, but after further consideration, if free stuff from Disney is involved (like a jacket that might possibly symbolize the 15th Anniversary) it may be too good for me to pass up. Plus, even though it will be my first marathon, I would like to give a little something back, especially if it helps the team. If we have a team water stop and I volunteer, I promise not to wear any of my Patriots gear.

Kim-thank you once again for offerring to risk your reputaion by being associated with me (packet pick-up for ToT and now this). I will be staying at BWV marathon weekend, so I am not sure how convenient it would be for you to pick me up.

So at present, I will not individually volunteer, but will seriously consider it if we have a WISH team water stop.

Bill--My feelings won't be hurt if you decide to volunteer, I just want you to have the best weekend possible. I can't even describe to you the feeling you will get when you cross the finish line. You wil be on :cloud9:. How awesome will it be to volunteer on Sunday while wearing your Donald medal that you earned on Saturday. :goodvibes Oh, and I can't promise that I won't beat you down for wearing Patriot gear, any other football game and it would be fine, but the Playoff's? C'mon! ;)

Judy--YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are going to have SO much fun!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I am running the full on Sunday but I thought this was such a good idea that I signed up to help with the half on Saturday. Water stop #6 5:00 - 9:30 a.m. Still should give me plenty of time to rest up for Sunday and maybe even head out to a park for a couple of hours.:thumbsup2

Ken

Kim[/B]-thank you once again for offerring to risk your reputaion by being associated with me (packet pick-up for ToT and now this). I will be staying at BWV marathon weekend, so I am not sure how convenient it would be for you to pick me up.

So at present, I will not individually volunteer, but will seriously consider it if we have a WISH team water stop.

I don't know where that is Bill but I am sure we can arrange something.....and never a problem, anything I can do to help out a team mate:grouphug:

Well, we have 3 already at aid #2 and if you include Mike, Bill and I that would be 6 people so if we can get 4 more people we would have our 10????

Anyone else doing the Donald willing to man a aid station with us all???

I can send a email to have mine and Mike changed to aid station 2 it would probably be more fun with be with a group of us WISH'ers

Kim

Yay! Judy's at my water stop too!!! :yay:

I have to tell you guys - I NEVER expected this many people to be interested. This is going to be so much fun!!!!

I am leaving work now, but I will put in an email to Disney sports about the group volunteering thing later today. Right now I have to go do the 'Zack swap' and meet Chad at Barnes & Noble.

Just to make things clear, we have the following already signed up for water stop #2 red:
Kristi
Krista
Judy
Kim & Mike - interested in changing if there are 10 of us.
nepatsfan73 - possibility

Also, maybe if we get alot of people, we could put some at the blue #2water stop. That way we hit ALL our WISHers for sure!

And of course, no matter where any & all of us end up - it will be fabulous!

nepatsfan73 - I am kind of with Krista about enjoying your first marathon weekend. I have seen Chad do the full every year since 2002, so I am kind of over it! :rotfl: But, I totally understand wanting the jacket! ;) Wish shirt would not be required (I don't know if Disney would want us to wear them - I will ask in my email). Chad & I always rent a car, so I am sure we could pick you up on our way to the Epcot parking lot (as well as any other WISHers in need). I am also sure we could all help you wake up too!

Too bad we aren't giving out gels, because then we could be a GOO stop!

:lmao:

This is great, Kristi! It will be sooo cool to see WISH volunteers!

Just a thought, if there's enough people to staff some of those stops between MK and AK and AK and MGM, those might be good places to see familiar faces as our energy might be dragging on those long road stretches between parks.

I'll have to see if my parents would come with us. If they watch DD4, then I can volunteer for the half!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter