Would anyone like to join me & be a volunteer for the Full Marathon? UPDATE 9/10

The more I think about it, it might be my only chance to volunteer at the WDW marathon. You guys are all doing the Goofy with me in 2009 and beyond right? ;) (Other than those who may possibly be in a pre-motherly way -- which gives me flashbacks to when I used to feel like a man trapped in a woman's body, but then I was born.)

Let us know what Disney says about a team station. I like the idea of the earlier time as we could finish, make rope drop at EPCOT for Soarin', MS, TT, etc. and still catch WISHer's on the finishing side.

Kim - I like the idea of you and your DH staffing stop #22. By that point in time I might be needing to see a friendly face and getting some encouragement from you!

I'm hoping I won't be out on the other course and miss all of you WiSHers! I'm going to see if my folks might want to volunteer for the full, maybe at a scream station or something!

Oh, darn, I have been BLUE the last two marathons. I really liked seeing Anne around mile 14ish last year, and of course everyone on the Boardwalk. Those encounters really helped!

Congratulations for signing up all!:cool1: Great idea Kristi...and the perks are sweet too.

PLEASE let me be red too---we'll see what happens as DH and I are going to switch our corral placement at the expo (he didn't want me to include my proof of time until he had one too) Hmm, wonder if they'll let me request red start there???????
I seriously thought about volunteering for the 1/2--but I think I will just be on the BW cheering on my WISH 1/2er's (might even carry some aid to get ya'll through the last mile!) But with the full the next morning and trying to entertain IL's too--might get a little much for me! Anyone want to join me for an Un-official WISH scream team spot by BC for the 1/2????
Just disregard me--I'm an idiot!

Too bad we aren't giving out gels, because then we could be a GOO stop!

:lmao:
:rotfl: OMG!!! :rotfl:

Well, I hope to also be screaming for everyone after the water stop thing.
I plan to hang out on the Boardwalk or just outside Epcot before the finish line after my shift to continue to cheer for everyone. So, don't worry - I'll be there near the end to yell in your ears & act like a complete fool! :laughing: I would have stayed inside Epcot to cheer but alas, we will not have park tickets this trip. :eek:

Kevin - don't worry, we will find you! After all, a zebra butt is hard to hide! :rotfl:
(please tell me that was you & I am not confused!)

Mel - great idea about that really long stretches between MK & AK, & then MGM. It would also be great if we can get some WISHers to volunteer for the Half too.

nepatsfan73 - the Goofy? Umm, in 2009? Hmmm....maybe I will have to come up with a way to get out of this one.... maybe Chad will finally be able to convince me.... ;)

Stephanie - I'd love a scream team at the BC for the Half! :goodvibes

You know what's going to happen, we're going to be staffed on the red course and all the Wisher's will be on the blue course. :rotfl2:

Indulge my blonde roots for a minute, but I didn't think the 1/2 marathon course went past the Beach Club. Or does BC stand for something else? When I ran the 1/2 in 2006, the course entered Epcot around the Ice Station Cool and then looped around the Christmas tree and out by guest services for the finish in the parking lot.

NE Bill--Goofy in 2009? You go on with your bad self.

Krista - That's what we did last year. We did not go by YC/BC. :confused3

Kristi - Yes ZB was Kevin, although Carrie does have a zebra skirt now.... ;)

I was actually thinking after we were done that I would head to the finish line. I don't really know the logistics of this, but I'd like to be there when Charlie finishes his first ever marathon. I'll be crying, just so you all know. :goodvibes

Oh and Bill, Goofy? Ummm, yeah, OK sure. :lmao:

Krista - I was thinking that I didn't go by BC last year for the Half. But my brain is mush and I thought it was just me being crazy.

Stephanie - see above posts - you will have to scream team somewhere else. I do remember seeing some WISHers (Cam maybe?) cheering just before we entered backstage at Epcot near The Living Seas. That was a great pick-me-up! I was dying by that point.

Judy - in my vast experience of trying to watch Chad finish the WDW races, I can NEVER get near the finish line. I got kind of close once, was squished up against a chain link fence while waiting forever (and was preggo at the time too). It sucked. I always watch him slightly before the finish, then run down and find him afterwards. And when I find him, I have to fight back the tears (even now after 5 of these races). I think it will be impossible now to go to the finsh with the special VIP viewing area. WAIT! Can we buy into this special viewing area and go there after 9am?

Hmmm, guess I was just confused:confused3 Need to recheck my scream team location! Just goes to show what happens when I look at a course map:sad2: --I've been looking at the map, and for some (blonde moment) reason I didn't realize both courses were on the same map when I clicked the half map link. :blush: Duh! Forgive the little thread interruption by me--now off to your regularly, and more competent, scheduled posters!

:cool1: :cool1: I just registered DH to volunteer at water stop #2 red. Kristi we are staying at Pop and if you have room in your car he would appreciate a ride to wherever the volunteers meet! If not he will cab it! He is excited! When I told him he'd be working with other WISHers one of his first comments was he wouldn't have another WISH shirt to wear (he is doing the half on Sat)....lucky him I just ordered him another shirt!! Perfect!!

Kristi - Yeah, we'll have to work that out. It's his first ever marathon and I just want to give him props, KWIM? :thumbsup2

I wonder if they will have some sort of transportation for us volunteers at that wee hour of the morning. I guess they will tell us more. I'm thinking about these things prematurely because, well, I'd rather be doing anything but real work! :lmao:

OK, OK, I'll wait for someone else to post. I'll go do my stupid spreadsheet. Boring!

You know the best place (in my opinion) to scream team for the 1/2 is? Mile 8-9 around the Grand Floridian and Polynesian. It's easy to get there (monorail to the Poly and then walk out the parking lot), not a ton of people there, so it's not super crowded, and that's getting to the hard part of the course: the fun of the MK is over and you still have a few miles to go. Stephen and my Dad cheered from there in 2006 and it was HUGE having them there at that point in the race for me. Actually what Dad and Stephen did for Mom and me in 2006 and what Mom and I did for Stephen and Dad in 2007 was drive to Epcot, take the monorail to the TTA, walk out by the dog kennels, this is mile 4, after your runner crosses that point, walk across the TTA into the Poly and across the Poly parking lot, this is mile 8-9, after your runner crosses, walk back to the Poly, monorail to Epcot for the finish. This works for the full as well as it is mile 9, mile 11-12, and then the finish.

Pat--We'll be at the Pop and I'll have a car if you need a ride. Since it's just me (Stephen's taking the provided transportation), I'll have room for 3 or 4 people, depending on how crowded those in the back seat want to be. The only down side is we are checking out of the Pop and into SSR on Sunday, so we won't be driving back to the hotel after the marathon.

Krista - That was a tough spot for me too, over by the GF. There wasn't much over there, except a few characters, I think Mary Poppins and someone else. Right before we got to them was my hardest part. I had just said to Charlie "WHY did I think this was going to be FUN??!?!" I was hurting on that stretch and with no cheering or motivation...it was just a long stretch of quiet. Not good at that point! :guilty:

I will be at POP also for anyone who needs a ride. Just me and DH so room in the backseat 2 or 3 pm

We are scheduled in right now for 6:15 - 1PM.......does anyone know when we get our details??? Where to meet etc??? Do we do package pick up like at expot??? I know it is a long way off just curious..

Very excited to be cheering on my fellow teamates as they approach the finish line!!!!

Kim

Stephanie, I will join you for the 1/2 scream team on Saturday!:)

Krista's suggestion by the Grand Floridian is great. I think I remember seeing Jen there last year for the full. Also, I seeing Sara and her girls and then Cam, Heather and Carrie on Main Street in MK during the half was great too!

Let's pick a spot and I am sure we will be able to get a few more to join us for the half Saturday morning.

Oh! I am so jealous! Why would I want to do the full marathon and cover 26.2 miles if I could be part of a WISH scream team and handing out water instead? Oh, now I remember. The cool Mickey medal. One last time.

Okay, so Carrie and Scott and Heather and I had such an amazing time cheering for the WISH 1/2ers last year that I think I am going to do that again.

We were on Main Street until all the WISHers went by and then moved over to just before the entry to EPCOT. It was so great to get to see nearly everyone at both locations and I think I was able to provide almost all WISHers with pix from Main Street and EPCOT entry. Actually, we may have missed some of the fast ones at EPCOT.

And then we were able to get to the WISH meet at the finish. I think the volunteer times listed for the 1/2 would mean not getting to the WISH meet at the end. I showed up there with a cooler full of powerade, sport beans, cold water, energy bars, etc. and had such a great time being at all those places for the WISH team.

When I looked at the volunteer times for the 1/2, I think it would be for the entire time of the race, pretty much, so I guess I'll be on the WISH scream team, instead. What do you guys think? I'm so torn! ;)

I'd originally thought it maybe sounded like a good idea, but since this will be my first half, I think I'll take Krista's advice and just enjoy Sunday. Plus, we have to fly back Sunday afternoon, so I'm going to be rushed anyway and don't know when we'll have to get to the airport yet. So I'll just be part of the scream team and maybe just visit you guys at the water stop!

Also, thanks Krista for the great ideas on where to tell my family to watch the half. I had no idea what to suggest to them, and I knew it was going to turn into drama before Saturday morning with DH demanding that I tell him where to go and me saying "let me ask the WISHer's!"

Jackie

Oh! I am so jealous! Why would I want to do the full marathon and cover 26.2 miles if I could be part of a WISH scream team and handing out water instead? Oh, now I remember. The cool Mickey medal. One last time.

Okay, so Carrie and Scott and Heather and I had such an amazing time cheering for the WISH 1/2ers last year that I think I am going to do that again.

We were on Main Street until all the WISHers went by and then moved over to just before the entry to EPCOT. It was so great to get to see nearly everyone at both locations and I think I was able to provide almost all WISHers with pix from Main Street and EPCOT entry. Actually, we may have missed some of the fast ones at EPCOT.

And then we were able to get to the WISH meet at the finish. I think the volunteer times listed for the 1/2 would mean not getting to the WISH meet at the end. I showed up there with a cooler full of powerade, sport beans, cold water, energy bars, etc. and had such a great time being at all those places for the WISH team.

When I looked at the volunteer times for the 1/2, I think it would be for the entire time of the race, pretty much, so I guess I'll be on the WISH scream team, instead. What do you guys think? I'm so torn! ;)

What do I think??? What do I think!?!?! :eek: I think you pretty much SAVED MY LIFE last year after the Half. When I was passed out on the pavement, with handsome young men putting their hands under my WISH shirt...wait, I fail to see the problem here -oh yes - when I was horizontal it was you, Cam, and your little bag of tricks that brought me around. OK, maybe the studly EMTs didn't hurt, but seriously, I was and still am so grateful you were there. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Also, you provided me with the BEST pictures I have from the Half. The pictures you took of Charlie and I on Main Street are on my screen saver and the one of the two of us - me with I think Carrie's medal on - is in our..what do you call that thing - shadowbox/picture frame we ordered at the Expo.

I thought what you did last time really helped make my first ever Half very very special. :goodvibes That's what I think.

Awww, Judy, aren't you sweet? Here I am, feeling so selfish because I'd rather have the pleasure of being WISH scream team instead of volunteering. I had the BESTEST time!!!! :love:
It's funny. Karen and I were talking in Chicago and she said it meant so much to her to have WISH Scream Team support on Saturday, that she stayed at BC/YC cheering on all the full racers until the very last went past (just a few people behind me and poor Rhonda! ;) ) and seemed to know just what I meant about how cheering meant just as much as participating! I can't tell you how the WISHers along the course (including Carrie's family and Kristi and all the WISHers at Y/BC were literally like an energy injection!) And those at Y/BC who offered us nutrition and powerade and water literally kept me on my feet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter