Would anyone like to join me & be a volunteer for the Full Marathon? UPDATE 9/10

And I didn't offer you anything. :sad: I was just a majorly lime green screaming sign-holding jumping up and down fool! But I HAD to make sure you saw me! I had a GREAT time with Karen and John and he took AWESOME pictures! :thumbsup2 We might go over there again after we are done at our water stop.

The WISH scream team really helped me in the half last year as well. The friend I was "running" with had a TnT shirt on and she kept getting all these cheers. I felt left out....that is until I came up to a group of WISHers. :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes :grouphug:

Now, for some crazy reason on my part, I'm going to do the full and I know the scream team and the WISH volunteers will help me get through this as well. I won't have family cheering me on so you guys are it!

WISHers are the best!!!

I'll be at the Poly again this year..but for the half AND the full, as I am only doing the 5K. I heartily agree with Cam, screaming for WISHers was the BEST!!! :goodvibes Anne

And those at Y/BC who offered us nutrition and powerade and water literally kept me on my feet.

I agree, having the Wisher's at YC/BC was HUGE for me. I knew if I could just get to our Scream Team at mile 24, I would make it to the finish line. My IT band/knee hurt so bad, I was limping, I was in pain, I was crying, but coming across the bridge by the Dolphin and rounding the corner by the Yacht Club and seeing all the lime green and a sea of familiar faces was priceless. I am forever grateful to all of you for the smiles and cheers, to Mel for walking with me for a few feet and letting me cry on her shoulder. It's making my eyes tear up just thinking about it 8 months later. This is the best group, I love you guys!!!!! :grouphug:

Kevin - don't worry, we will find you! After all, a zebra butt is hard to hide! :rotfl:
(please tell me that was you & I am not confused!)

Hide?? Hide?!? Who's hiding anything?? If you've got it, flaunt it, I say!!:thumbsup2

Lots of good ideas for scream team locations already, but one more I would mention is the entrance to MGM, about mile 23. Not too many people there and it's definately a good "pick me up" point.

Kevin :earsboy:

I can't tell you how much better it makes me feel to know there will be WISHers along the marathon course to help pull me through! DH will be there and I know he'll try to get around as much as possible, but it will be SO NICE to have my teammates there! :hug: You are all so great with your support!

I don't have any WISHwear, so I'll have to figure out some way of identifying myself!

Good morning!

The DW wants to be a volunteer for the marathon. What's the latest as to who's working where?

Lots of good ideas for scream team locations already, but one more I would mention is the entrance to MGM, about mile 23. Not too many people there and it's definately a good "pick me up" point.

Kevin, MIke and I will be at Mile #22!!!! We will be cheering very loud!!!!!!

Kim

Has anybody mentioned outside of AK? About mile 18. It's after the long trek to AK, and just before we head to Epcot. It's a great spot if your scream team is not using a day's park admission!! Just take a bus to the drop off, the course goes right by there. And Kevin's suggestion of outside MGM is another great spot if your team is not using a park admission!! My DD cheered for me outside AK, hopped a bus to MGM, cheered me again, and then hopped a bus to Epcotand met me at the finish. It worked out well. Of course I am slow so she had plenty of time to travel between locations:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

PLEASE let me be red too---we'll see what happens as DH and I are going to switch our corral placement at the expo (he didn't want me to include my proof of time until he had one too) Hmm, wonder if they'll let me request red start there???????[/B]

Stephanie--I don't know if anyone posted this or not (if they did, I missed it). When you get to the Expo and show them proff of time, they'll put you in any corral up to the time you show them. So, for example, if you qualify for Corral B, they'll let you go into C, D, E, etc. I found this out in 2006 when they told me that I could pick B or anything above that. So as long as you know which corrals are red, you should be ok.

Steve

Krista.... Susan and I are planning on the Polynesian area so thanks for the directions. I was hoping to walk as far as we could before Susan's feet said to stop ;)

BTW, Mom last year for cheering for the 1/2 stopped in at the Polynesian since the MK wasn't open yet. I think she said between 5 and 5:30 am the coffee shop was opening up. She taunted us later with the fact that she had been their as they unboxed the Krispy Kremes LOL

For 1/2 Marathoners wanting to sleep in a bit on Jan 13th you can catch a bus to MGM and catch the Maratoners. I think we arrived around 10 am. There is a crowd but not so much we had no troubles getting to the edge of the course and catching the Team mates. ALSO as you walk towards the ticket/gates for MGM the crowds thin more. Cheerers along the course INSIDE on the Main St area were also rather sparse. We kept moving in until we were almost across from the 'street' that leads to RnR and stayed their till the last racers past.

CAM!!! For the 1/2 Marathoners seeing them at the area were you enter EPCOT was GREAT! I saw Cam, Pat, Carrie and Scott. I'm foggy but I think Heather was there too :) That is another great place to cheer.

Has anybody mentioned outside of AK? About mile 18. It's after the long trek to AK, and just before we head to Epcot. It's a great spot if your scream team is not using a day's park admission!! Just take a bus to the drop off, the course goes right by there. And Kevin's suggestion of outside MGM is another great spot if your team is not using a park admission!! My DD cheered for me outside AK, hopped a bus to MGM, cheered me again, and then hopped a bus to Epcotand met me at the finish. It worked out well. Of course I am slow so she had plenty of time to travel between locations:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Ooh, you know what, that's even better than my idea. At MGM, there are at least some people there to cheer you on. In that AK parking lot there is no one... I mean NO ONE... there. (And that parking lot.. HUGE!)

And I didn't offer you anything. :sad: I was just a majorly lime green screaming sign-holding jumping up and down fool! But I HAD to make sure you saw me! I had a GREAT time with Karen and John and he took AWESOME pictures! :thumbsup2 We might go over there again after we are done at our water stop.

SUPPORT is everything!!! We were so grateful for the screaming! :thumbsup2

Oh, man, I remember how BRUTAL it was between the time we got to AK and the time we got to Y/BC. And I definitely think support after marathoners come out of AK would be incredible. I remember Craig's warning/advice about how bad that stretch would be, so I was very, very prepared mentally and it STILL almost totalled me.

This is amazing. Now, when print the cheat sheet of where to find water & nutrition on the course, I am include on my list where to find WISHers. :cheer2: Rhonda and I talked SOOOO much about her amazing husband who was running from park to park to take pix and hand us fresh water/powerade, etc. :flower3: and the fact that we'd see WISHers at mile 24. :cloud9: IF as we get closer, we can come up with a master list of where there will be WISHers, it would be great to put that into a master list with water stops, etc., print it & laminate it! :woohoo:

Geez, I am so sorry we seem to have taken over the thread with this love-fest and non-official volunteer coordination effort! :blush: Sorry, Kristi! :hug:

I thought I would post the volunteer opportunities for anyone interested:

Volunteer Shifts For the Full Marathon

1/13/08, Bag Check, 2:00 AM - 8:30 AM
1/13/08, Bag Check, 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM
1/13/08, Chip Removal, 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM
1/13/08, Course Monitor Epcot Start, 3:00 AM - 9:00 AM
1/13/08, Course Monitor Epcot Park, 4:30 AM - 10:30 AM
1/13/08, Course Monitor Disney-MGM Studios
1/13/08, Course Monitor Disney's Boardwalk Resort, 6:45 AM - 1:30 PM
1/13/08, Course Monitor Epcot Finish, 7:00 AM - 2:00 PM
1/13/08, Crowd Control Blue Start, 2:00 AM - 7:30 AM
1/13/08, Crowd Control Red Start, 2:00 AM - 7:30 AM
1/13/08, Finish Line Set-up, 3:00 AM - 8:30 AM
1/13/08, Food Stop #2, 5:45 AM - 11:45 AM
1/13/08, Food Stop #3, 5:45 AM - 12:15 PM
1/13/08, Gate Control, 2:00 AM - 8:30 AM
1/13/08, Gate Control, 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM
1/13/08, Runners VIP Tent, 2:00 AM - 8:30 AM
1/13/08, Runners VIP Tent, 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM
1/13/08, Screaming Fans, 5:15 AM - 10:30 AM
1/13/08, Screaming Fans, 5:20 AM - 9:15 AM
1/13/08, Screaming Fans, 5:20 AM - 11:45 AM
1/13/08, Screaming Fans, 5:45 AM - 10:00 AM
1/13/08, Screaming Fans, 5:45 AM - 11:45 AM
1/13/08, Screaming Fans, 6:00 AM - 1:00 PM
1/13/08, Screaming Fans, 6:00 AM - 1:15 PM
1/13/08, Spectator Viewing Bridges, 2:00 AM - 8:30 AM
1/13/08, Spectator Viewing Monorail, 2:00 AM - 8:30 AM
1/13/08, Spectator Viewing Monorail, 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM
1/13/08, Spectator VIP Area, 3:00 AM - 8:30 AM
1/13/08, Spectator VIP Area, 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM
1/13/08, Volunteer Tent (DWWS), 2:00 AM - 9:00 AM
1/13/08, Volunteer Tent (DWWS), 8:30 AM - 3:00 PM
1/13/08, Volunteer Tent (MK), 3:00 AM - 11:30 AM
1/13/08, Volunteer Tent (MK), 8:30 AM - 3:00 PM
1/13/08, Water Start, 2:00 AM - 8:30 AM
1/13/08, Water Finish, 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM
1/13/08, Water Stop #2Blue, 3:00 AM - 8:00 AM
1/13/08, Water Stop #2Red, 3:00 AM - 9:00 AM
1/13/08, Water Stop #7, 4:00 AM - 10:00 AM
1/13/08, Water Stop #16, 5:45 AM - 11:45 AM
1/13/08, Water Stop #18, 6:00 AM - 12:00 PM
1/13/08, Water Stop #19, 5:45 AM - 12:15 PM
1/13/08, Water Stop #20, 6:15 AM - 12:30 PM
1/13/08, Water Stop #21, 6:15 AM - 12:30 PM
1/13/08, Water Stop #22, 6:15 AM - 1:00 PM

I just hope there are still some scream teams left after I come in around 7 hours. :tilt:

I'm with you Susie...I'll be finishing the full in 7 hours...hope there are still screamers around. lol

Stephanie, I'll help you with the half as well. Which station?:cool1:

SUPPORT is everything!!!

Geez, I am so sorry we seem to have taken over the thread with this love-fest and non-official volunteer coordination effort! :blush: Sorry, Kristi! :hug:

Wait a minute, arn't we suppose to wait until taper for this mushy stuff??;)

REally, loved your post Cam, you are such a sweetheart. I remember when you gave me that hug on main street and then offered me sport beans, gatorade or water.:flower3: That was so kind. I traveled to Disney solo that weekend and your actions, along with many other WISHers', were really touching and I felt like I had family there.:grouphug:

It's one of my annual "things" to do this.

I'll be a bicycle mounted paramedic for the full this year again. This way I usually get full access to the entire course. It's really fun to be in he MK at 5 a.m. with hardly anyone else there.

I have worked both the full & 1/2 in years past, but I'm running the 1/2 in '08.

I'll also be doing the same for the triathlon next month.

See ya there!!!!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter