• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

XL/Travek City file for administration

I know I have posted on this topic twice before but I will again, I think that the folks at the airport in US where probably being a little bit angry with the staff there but we all know Sanford on these boards its not a metropolitan airport I think they like to shut up shop in the evening and go home and these were very unusual circumstances perhaps something like this has never happened before to them!
Also I got a big shiny brochure from TCD this morning offering meall of the latest deals....into the recycling bin!

:confused:

We were due to fly out with TCD from Glasgow on Monday, staying at POFQ, taking advantage of free DDP. I'd even managed to get the holy grail of an ADR at CRT!
We know we will get our money back - sent off the paperwork to ATOL yesterday.
Luckily we've managed to rebook with Virgin flying out 31 Oct. The travel agent tried Thomson and First Choice, but there wasn't a huge amount of availabilty, and the prices were scary - the equivalent holiday with First Choice was £1500 more, mainly because we were no longer eligible for free DDP!!!!
The Virgin holiday was only couple hundred more, mainly because we now have to factor in the cost of travelling down to Gatwick. Car hire is not included, but we'll probably hire over there for a few days. We're now staying at POP which is fine, but I was really keen to stay in a moderate for a treat!
At least we're going though - unlike some people. We've saved really hard for the past 2 years for this holiday (no holidays in past 2 years!). It's just been so disappointing happening so close to our travel date! The kids skipped off to school yesterday sing "3 days till our holiday" :sad1:
They were in tears at home time when we told them!

Glad you got a result :thumbsup2 -lets hope others do as well :hug: .x.

We were due to fly out with TCD from Glasgow on Monday, staying at POFQ, taking advantage of free DDP. I'd even managed to get the holy grail of an ADR at CRT!
We know we will get our money back - sent off the paperwork to ATOL yesterday.
Luckily we've managed to rebook with Virgin flying out 31 Oct. The travel agent tried Thomson and First Choice, but there wasn't a huge amount of availabilty, and the prices were scary - the equivalent holiday with First Choice was £1500 more, mainly because we were no longer eligible for free DDP!!!!
The Virgin holiday was only couple hundred more, mainly because we now have to factor in the cost of travelling down to Gatwick. Car hire is not included, but we'll probably hire over there for a few days. We're now staying at POP which is fine, but I was really keen to stay in a moderate for a treat!
At least we're going though - unlike some people. We've saved really hard for the past 2 years for this holiday (no holidays in past 2 years!). It's just been so disappointing happening so close to our travel date! The kids skipped off to school yesterday sing "3 days till our holiday" :sad1:
They were in tears at home time when we told them!

I am so pleased you are sorted :hug:

Grumpy here

Thanks Beth and Snowy

Am relaxing a bit more after yesterday. Sitting in the travel agents yesterday the bookings were literally disappearing off the screen. Made us realise that it was now or never and frankly I could not wait till next year for a holiday, and who knows what the availability and prices will be by then. TCD cannot be the last to fail sadly.

I only hope that others affected by yesterdays problems gets to book something to replace their trip

Never have credit cards had such positive promotion as they did yesterday!

My sympathies to those of you who have been impacted, and especially to the workers impacted (and of course, any situation like this will have a poor impact on the economy)

I have started two threads on the Transportation Board about these topics; I think that often readers here are not aware of international news and how it impacts them. I have long warned that UK and other European visitors will not 'save' WDW during the US economic downturn, and sadly now this is holding true.

Please do feel free to visit the Transportation Board and share your comments. I don't want to speak for all of you, but I do think that this is important news which needs to be heard by the American readers here as it will impact them as well....

Best of luck with your travels!

:grouphug: to everyone who has been affected by this.

It is so sad to think of everyone working so hard to save for a holiday with the family (some saving for years) to be told you can no longer go & you may even losse the money you have spent :grouphug:

I really hope there is a way round it all for you and you manage to re-book with someone else.

I have been on the Virgin website & they have some fab prices for flights home if anyone is stranded in the USA atm. Prices from £194 PP.

:cheer2: I booked with TCD and have just returned home. We were very lucky to have drove to Sanford as early as possible on Saturday as the seats were first come first serve. They used a Monarch flight for us and told us that we wouldnt have to pay any extra.The people at Sanford deserve a round of applause for cleaning up XL mess. Sadly when I was in the queue I overheard a member of staff saying "There are 900 people to fly today and there are only 600 spaces!". My heart goes out to anyone who is suffering from this, especially those who wont even get to Orlando. :sad2:

good post the people at Sanford do deserve a round of applause for cleaning up XL mess. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :woohoo: nice to a see you got home ok ,hope the holiday was ok and this did not spoil it for you

:cheer2: I booked with TCD and have just returned home. We were very lucky to have drove to Sanford as early as possible on Saturday as the seats were first come first serve. They used a Monarch flight for us and told us that we wouldnt have to pay any extra.The people at Sanford deserve a round of applause for cleaning up XL mess. Sadly when I was in the queue I overheard a member of staff saying "There are 900 people to fly today and there are only 600 spaces!". My heart goes out to anyone who is suffering from this, especially those who wont even get to Orlando. :sad2:

Welcome home+glad you got home ok.Hope you had a good holiday+yes what a shame about the poor people who never managed to go.Let's hope somehthing turns up for them.x.

we have been watching this and reading all the comments and are devastated for those that are affected as we know how we would feel had we been caught up in it, it makes me feel physically sick for those with young children who have saved hard for this and also the employees as we know from first hand how devestating it is to loose you job with limited notice.

Did laugh *** I received a Travel city brochure today!!!!

we have been watching this and reading all the comments and are devastated for those that are affected as we know how we would feel had we been caught up in it, it makes me feel physically sick for those with young children who have saved hard for this and also the employees as we know from first hand how devestating it is to loose you job with limited notice.

Did laugh *** I received a Travel city brochure today!!!!

Yeah we received our offers brochure the day they went down mum and dad wouldn't believe me when I said they had gone they kept saying yeah they just do the flights with them they haven't gone out of business. Round of applause to the people trying to sort all of this mess out. And pixie dust to everyone affected. :wizard:

we recieved our flight tickets for our flight booked through freedom flights and a tcd brochure, neither of which are any use.......nice glossy brochure though.

Welcome home, glad you got back safe and well. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter