• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

XL/Travek City file for administration

Girlsontour - I know exactly what you mean....did you see the family who were due to go tomorrow they were taking their 18 year old son for his birthday, he has got cystic fibrosis and this was going to be his last holiday (getting too ill to fly). It has cost them £3000 in medical bills alone as he has to have lots of tests to show that he is well enough to make the trip......I hope someone watching the news is able to help that family out. :sad: :sad: :sad: pixiedust:

My heart goes out to all of the people effected. :hug:

Oh my how awful
:sad2: Hope someone can help them out :guilty:

As an Orlando resident...I would just like to extend my apologies for any bad treatment the folks who are stuck here experienced. I've watched the local news and it's disturbing to me that some of the stranded passengers are blaming the U.S., the airport and state of Florida...when clearly XL was the one to blame for this whole experience. The news said the airport has provided meals for passengers at Denny's and the British Consulate has arranged a flight out at 6:50pm tonight.

For those of you who are trying to rebook their trips on another carrier, I hope everything works out and you are able to come to Orlando after all.

clearly XL was the one to blame for this whole experience.
I'm not sure that's entirely true. From what I can gather, both the company and its UK bankers did everything in their powers to prevent this meltdown and launch a rescue package. It seems that the Icelandic bankers pulled the plug and, thanks to the insolvency laws in this country, once the inevitable happened, the planes were grounded even though common sense (and XL's Directors) would have had them fly everyone home rather than leave them stranded.

Kind thoughts to everyone affected, very sad situation :sad1: Adults can understand the reasons, but if you have kids it must be devastating trying to explain to them why they can't go on holiday... Also in these uncertain times, think of the staff who are now wondering how they are going to pay the bills....having to start looking for another job at this moment must be hell

I'm not sure that's entirely true. From what I can gather, both the company and its UK bankers did everything in their powers to prevent this meltdown and launch a rescue package. It seems that the Icelandic bankers pulled the plug and, thanks to the insolvency laws in this country, once the inevitable happened, the planes were grounded even though common sense (and XL's Directors) would have had them fly everyone home rather than leave them stranded.
I agree but I was referring to the people here who were blaming the U.S. and the airport. I know they were frustrated and rightfully so...I would be too.

DCLMan, this is clearly a highly emotive time and I understand that you are undoubtedly hyper-sensitive at the moment. We all feel your pain (and that of the many thousands of others affected by this), but that doesn't give you the right to lash out and personal attacks are never appropriate whatever the circumstances. Wayne is an extremely valuable contributor to these boards and his observations on this topic are perfectly valid.

Can I implore everyone to now return to the very important topic in hand.

sorry, i have to agree with ukdeb and others who have said the same thing,

hope and prey you get your holidays

I just wanted to add my heartfelt thoughts for everyone affected by this miserable situation, both stranded and out-of-pocket travellers and XL employees.

Kind thoughts to everyone affected, very sad situation,we will be going in 2010 we were going with TCD:sad2: party of ten flying fist class staying at pop cost about £10,00 some how dont think we will be going fist classs know but will get to disney some how,also think a lot of folk have lost there jobs we have sorry had used TCD three times befor and the staff had been fist class.Just to say i dont put aney blame on the U.S., the airport or state of Florida. sorry about the spelling im dyslexic:sad2: :sad2: :sad2: Dave,Christine.Lisa

just found this on the WDW web site hope it will help some folk Walt Disney Travel Company Advisory For Affected XL Customers

If you booked a complete package with flights through XL Leisure Group and have been affected by the recent announcement, please visit the CAA website at www.caa.co.uk which provides the most up to date information. The phone number for CAA is 0870 5900 927.

If you only booked your flights through XL Leisure Group, but have separately booked a hotel or ticket reservation through the Walt Disney Travel Company and would like to amend your booking we will waive the amendment fees. If you wish to cancel your booking, we will refund without penalty. Please call 0870 24 24 900*.

I just want to add I am so very sorry to all who have booked. I can't imagine the devastation you must be feeling.
For those who are stranded you are in my thoughts and prayers
:grouphug:

Hi have just seen on the virgin atlantic site that they are offering special one way fares to those stranded by XL

My wife and I worked so hard for our vacation this year and we were luck enough to go and come back.

The pull of Disney and Florida is so strong that we both cried watching the news and thinking about all those poor people who might not get their long planned for vacation.

My wife and I also feel real sad for the ordinary workers at XL and TCD who are now out of jobs with little chance of any redundancy payments or compensation. The UK is not a good place to be looking for a new job at this time of year. Those poor people will be lucky to get their final pay checks.

So spare a thought for the ordinary joe and joanne working to pay a mortgage and put food on the table.:upsidedow

My wife and I worked so hard for our vacation this year and we were luck enough to go and come back.

The pull of Disney and Florida is so strong that we both cried watching the news and thinking about all those poor people who might not get their long planned for vacation.

My wife and I also feel real sad for the ordinary workers at XL and TCD who are now out of jobs with little chance of any redundancy payments or compensation. The UK is not a good place to be looking for a new job at this time of year. Those poor people will be lucky to get their final pay checks.

So spare a thought for the ordinary joe and joanne working to pay a mortgage and put food on the table.:upsidedow

Well said Aardvarks...a damn shame..fortunately my TCD holiday was booked for Feb so while the dissapointment is bad I still have time to salvage something. Like you my thoughts were automatically with those people who turned up at airports only to be told to go home, and what a cruel, cruel time of year to lose your job. I travelled to FLA 4 times with TCD and their customer service was second to none (IMO). I hope everyone affected gets back on their feet soon.

I feel so bad for everyone who has been affected by this. I work for a travel agency in the head office and yesterday from 8am it was chaos, everyone was working so hard trying to find alternative flights for those flying out in the future and also trying to help those who are also out in resort. Some staff worked til 9pm last night (4 hours more than normal). To make matters worse our phone lines were jammed so we couldn't ring out so we had to run out and buy emergency mobiles to call back customers on. One woman who was supposed to be flying out next week came to our offices in tears not knowing what to do, I felt so bad for her :(

I agree but I was referring to the people here who were blaming the U.S. and the airport. I know they were frustrated and rightfully so...I would be too.

What there blameing is not the usa side,it is the fact that they want them of there property,and are getting no info from them or help

just found this on the WDW web site hope it will help some folk Walt Disney Travel Company Advisory For Affected XL Customers

If you booked a complete package with flights through XL Leisure Group and have been affected by the recent announcement, please visit the CAA website at www.caa.co.uk which provides the most up to date information. The phone number for CAA is 0870 5900 927.

If you only booked your flights through XL Leisure Group, but have separately booked a hotel or ticket reservation through the Walt Disney Travel Company and would like to amend your booking we will waive the amendment fees. If you wish to cancel your booking, we will refund without penalty. Please call 0870 24 24 900*.

Glad disney are doing somthing to help

On the isue of advice re it going under weeks ago.we all try to help with surgestions as we all disney lovers but sometimes the truth hurts and a lot of people dont like being told over and over again this that and outher
Paulh

I feel so bad for everyone who has been affected by this. I work for a travel agency in the head office and yesterday from 8am it was chaos, everyone was working so hard trying to find alternative flights for those flying out in the future and also trying to help those who are also out in resort. Some staff worked til 9pm last night (4 hours more than normal). To make matters worse our phone lines were jammed so we couldn't ring out so we had to run out and buy emergency mobiles to call back customers on.(
Nice to hear an example of the old Dunkirk Spirit. Well done to you and your colleagues. :goodvibes

We were due to fly out with TCD from Glasgow on Monday, staying at POFQ, taking advantage of free DDP. I'd even managed to get the holy grail of an ADR at CRT!
We know we will get our money back - sent off the paperwork to ATOL yesterday.
Luckily we've managed to rebook with Virgin flying out 31 Oct. The travel agent tried Thomson and First Choice, but there wasn't a huge amount of availabilty, and the prices were scary - the equivalent holiday with First Choice was £1500 more, mainly because we were no longer eligible for free DDP!!!!
The Virgin holiday was only couple hundred more, mainly because we now have to factor in the cost of travelling down to Gatwick. Car hire is not included, but we'll probably hire over there for a few days. We're now staying at POP which is fine, but I was really keen to stay in a moderate for a treat!
At least we're going though - unlike some people. We've saved really hard for the past 2 years for this holiday (no holidays in past 2 years!). It's just been so disappointing happening so close to our travel date! The kids skipped off to school yesterday sing "3 days till our holiday" :sad1:
They were in tears at home time when we told them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter