• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

XL/Travek City file for administration

We were booked with TCD to go 29th june. We only paid the deposit last week!

Apparently my dad has re booked us through a company called Barrhead Travel, but ive no idea which airline its with. he got us a deal at almost the same price, only £100 per person more expensive.

Hes away playing bowls just now so i'll find out more details later if anybody is interested. This is for flying from Glasgow.

Hi,
Commisserations to all who have been let down by XL and TCD. Its disgusting to be frank, I saw somwhere that First Choice and Thomas Cook were happy to help out, thats rich ! I looked at a first choice flight yesterday for Oct 2nd and it was £279, today its nearly £1000 !
Anyway, mods I hope I don't get told off for this but if anyone needs to book car hire call my wife Elle on 0500 50 50 87 and we will knock off as much as we possibly can for you and get them below our published prices just let her know you saw this on the DIS. Good luck to everyone rebooking flights with the vultures !
Tim

Thanks for the offer guys - just for those who don't know you that well - the above number connects you to Florida Homes & Travel and their car hire sub-company - been going for years, give them a call if you're in a jam over this i'm sure they'll help.

:goodvibes

I have just been to the netflights web site and there are still good prices for return flights to Orlando throughout the next two or months with virgin and delta. Just search for xl on google and there are loads of sites looking to make money of other peoples misery :hug: good luck

At the back of my mind I felt this was going to be the outcome but always hoped they would get the funding needed.

That's a great help to me, I've had to explain to my 2 children that the holiday that I've saved for for the last 18 months has been cancelled 30 days before we are supposed to fly out. At least you, being the most wonderful person, has his fourth trip booked for this year. You were proved right. Enjoy your next trip.

I can't believe the amount of diser's affected by this-once again i am so sorry for you all-i hope+pray you can get something sorted.I have also been looking on another popular forum,and it is heartbreaking to see all the people involved on there as well.Reading some of these comments+there comments are very sad.It's the people having to tell there children that's the worst.x.

Hi we were booked with them to go in 3 weeks, but we have managed to book with first choice going from manchester a couple of days before instead of glasgow, but at least we are able to go so i am extremely thankful for that.

hugs to anyone else affected that cannot go now

That's a great help to me, I've had to explain to my 2 children that the holiday that I've saved for for the last 18 months has been cancelled 30 days before we are supposed to fly out. At least you, being the most wonderful person, has his fourth trip booked for this year. You were proved right. Enjoy your next trip.

I feel awful for you and your family, as I'm sure we all do, though I dont feel you should be making digs at Wayneg.

I feel awful for you and your family, as I'm sure we all do, though I dont feel you should be making digs at Wayneg.

I agree, alot of travel companies are vunerable at the moment and everybody is upset. We are all fortunate enough to be able to go to Disney on these boards, it doesn't matter how many times you go. I'm sorry to everyone who is affected by this.

Come on I don't think that was called for at all, Wayne was merely making a statement not having a dig!! now those comments are going to turn this thread into something else.
I'm sure we all feel for those affected.

Please keep this thread a support thread for the unfortunate people in all of this including DCLMan,tensions are running high+peoples minds are all over the place at the moment.Would hate to see this closed down by a Mod.x.

I can understand how this thread can go from shock to anger - it's the natural human reaction.
I would be so angry about having to tell my young children that their dream Disney holiday was no more.
One thing we all have in common on the DIS is our love of WDW, Orlando and Florida in general. All of those holidays are special to all of us regardless of how often we go. Be under no illusion, for ALL of us the demise of this company will have a massive impact on travel to Orlando. In my household for instance, there have been plans lately to possibly purchase an Orlando property for long-term investment, the recent weakening pound and now the demise of XL has put a stop to those thoughts. IMHO the era of cheaper travel to Orlando is over, for the foreseeable future, at least.
No matter how much these things are predicted or sepculated upon it doesn't mean that the outcome will be different.
It's common for big business to carry on "as-normal" for as long as possible and then go into administration all of a sudden.
Many have commented "they could have done this, or that" but it's never the case. You can't warn customers and staff that you "might" go bust - it simply causes chaos.
However, I'm sure more could be done by the CAA in these situations.
Instead of being grounded it would be an idea to use XL's 21 aircraft and many staff to return stranded passengers home.
As I've said in my previous post, I feel so desperately sorry for those booked under the XL group, no matter where in the world you were going.

I hope no Disers are stranded over there who have booked flights only - I felt so sad watching the news this evening :sad1:

I hope no Disers are stranded over there who have booked flights only - I felt so sad watching the news this evening :sad1:

I have decided to not watch much of the news tonight,it's too upsetting to listen to the peoples stories,although i want to know if there's any outcome yet?.The last i heard was Monarch are getting ready to fly some home.x.

DCLMan, this is clearly a highly emotive time and I understand that you are undoubtedly hyper-sensitive at the moment. We all feel your pain (and that of the many thousands of others affected by this), but that doesn't give you the right to lash out and personal attacks are never appropriate whatever the circumstances. Wayne is an extremely valuable contributor to these boards and his observations on this topic are perfectly valid.

Can I implore everyone to now return to the very important topic in hand.

Whilst watching the news, all day, you can't help but put yourselves in the people's position. It is absolutely heartbreaking to watch (especially the ones due to go to Florida with whom we all know how excited they will have been)...if only i had won the Euro Millions last week i could have at least helped some of them. The couple on Sky News who were due to get married next week in Florida would be top of my list - lets hope someone watching will help them out.

Whilst watching the news, all day, you can't help but put yourselves in the people's position. It is absolutely heartbreaking to watch (especially the ones due to go to Florida with whom we all know how excited they will have been)...if only i had won the Euro Millions last week i could have at least helped some of them. The couple on Sky News who were due to get married next week in Florida would be top of my list - lets hope someone watching will help them out.

I completely agree,I felt so bad watching it this morning seeing the excited little childrens faces..and realising they most probably dont have a clue what is going on so on.
I feel bad for every single one of them,cause we know how it feels to be so excited,working so hard to have your holiday only for it be cancelled and no ideas of what is going to happen :(

Girlsontour - I know exactly what you mean....did you see the family who were due to go tomorrow they were taking their 18 year old son for his birthday, he has got cystic fibrosis and this was going to be his last holiday (getting too ill to fly). It has cost them £3000 in medical bills alone as he has to have lots of tests to show that he is well enough to make the trip......I hope someone watching the news is able to help that family out. :sad: :sad: :sad: pixiedust:

My heart goes out to all of the people effected. :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter