"You're going to Disney again?!!!?"

Torontogal said:
My hubby has a great job but we are noticing that people (espec. neighbors) asking us, "so...what DOES your husband do for a living?" It is really becoming annoying. Have any of you experienced this and how do you reply?
Thanks.

I would reply that we were good will ambassadors for WDW! :teeth: In return for getting as many people to ask me how I can go to WDW so much and maybe peak their interest, I get to stay on property at a discount (shh - DVC).

I smile and walk away. It is more polite than saying so you're going gambling again tonight, you're going drinking again tonight, you're going camping again this weekend, you're going to NH again this year for two weeks, you're staying home and staring at the walls complaining how you never get to go anywhere still, etc. :lmao: Seriously, I just don't reply anymore either you get it or you don't--I always have a trip or two to plan so I haven't the time to worry about those that don't!

This is a great thread.

We usually get the question from people that have 2 kids, 2 cars, a house they can't afford and think nothing of dropping a few grand on the kids for Christmas.

You see, we have no car (best thing we chose to do at this time), no kids and a house we can afford. We have golf memberships and love to go to Disney. We are both Government Employees so we don't make a ton lol

Just different priorities.

Regs,

CJM

Torontogal said:
I want to know how you guys deal with the nosey neighbors and friends who make those wierd statements.
We are lucky and consider our neighbors our friends. And when our friends ask where we're going, we just tell them Florida.

Amazingly, unless they know us well, they immediately assume we're going to a beach destination and nod their head in approval. :rolleyes:

Those who know us better just ask when we're heading back!

I think you all will love this!!!

THE HEAD SHAKERS HAVEN'T GOT A CLUE
By Mike Patrick, Jr., M.D.

"You're going to Disney--again?"

These five words, presented with a dramatic pause between Disney and again, are familiar to the seasoned Disney vacationer. The speaker delivers the question with a unique blend of surprise and curiosity.

The response depends upon the vacationer's level of experience. A fresh Disney convert may feel compelled to give a reasonable excuse for the return trip: We didn't make it to Animal Kingdom; A tropical storm interfered with our plans; Little Bobby was so sick--he didn't meet the Mouse.

As the vacationer works on his third and fourth trips, the questions pile high. At this stage of development, the vacationer feels a pang of guilt. Paranoia might even creep in as he imagines hushed conversations about his unpaid mortgage and empty college fund. The vacationer tells his family this will be the last trip--at least for awhile. Of course, it's not the last trip. Not even close. In fact, within two weeks of returning home, he's on the phone with CRO, charging another deposit to the Disney Visa.

By the fifth trip, the questions stop. Everyone knows where he's going. A friend or two might take the advice and book a trip. The stray grandparent might ask to tag along. But most of the vacationer's acquaintances will shake their heads in quiet bewilderment.

Fortunately, by this time, the vacationer no longer cares.

Now you rookies out there might ask, "How can he not care? How can he ignore the head shakers?"

The answer is simple. The head shakers haven't got a clue. Once you understand that, ignoring them is easy.

The way I see it, there are six varieties of head shakers. Each one views his or her vacation habit as the "right way to go" and each one fails to see Disney as anything more than crowds of cranky children on hot pavement. Coming to terms with the head shakers requires a clear understanding of their motivation. Let's take a look at each type:

THE OPERA SINGER
The Opera Singer wants a cultural experience. Whether it's flying to the Big Apple for a night on Broadway or touring the monuments and museums of Europe, the Opera Singer sleeps in 5-star splendor and dines with world-famous Chefs de Cuisine. I don't need any of that.

Festival of the Lion King is a fine show, thank you. Fantasmic is incredible. And Wishes? Wow. The amenities at Wilderness Lodge are right up my alley, and the only Chef de Cuisine I need is good old Chef Mickey with his prime rib and parmesan potatoes and finger deserts.

THE TRAVELER
Never one to repeat the same vacation twice, the Traveler has climbed the foothills of the Himalayas, explored the back streets of Morocco, and sailed the major rivers of Mexico. I can do the same things at Walt Disney World with one important difference: At Disney, I can drink the water!

THE PRISONER
The prisoner doesn't take vacations. He has calculated his daily loss from missed work and added that to the daily cost of the trip. The resulting figure seems mind-boggling, so the Prisoner stays home and keeps working. Sorry. Not me. Life is too short for this approach.

THE MARINER
The mariner spends time with his friends. Golf outings. Fishing trips.

Shopping sprees. I prefer my family, with no school or work to interfere with our fun. Then let us loose on the links of Winter Summerland or the waters of Bay Lake or the air conditioned stores of Downtown Disney.

THE BRIDE
The Bride is married to a particular place and returns year after year. It might be a New England beach house or a cabin in the Rockies.

That's fine. I can appreciate returning to the same place year after year. But please, don't shake your head at my choice, and I won't shake mine at yours.

THE SKELETON
The Skeleton sits in his recliner and complains about the lucky stiffs who get to take a vacation. Meanwhile, he whittles away his government subsidy on booze and cigarettes and pay-per-view movies. To him I say, "get off your duff and get a job."

When you look at it this way, who cares what the head shakers think?

They have their own set of problems. Shrug them off. Let any comments slide over your shoulder and down your spine with nary a look back.

Not there yet? That's okay. It took the rest of us awhile too. Just know the door is open. The water is fine. We'll leave the tiki torches burning and save you a spot by the volcano pool. You're welcome anytime.

We have started getting this, now that we are DVC'ers..."what will you do when your kids out-grow Disney, sell your time-share?" And we laugh....our response...."The Disney vacations are for US! The fact that the kids love it too is just a bonus!"

Seriously though, many of our friends are supportive and just say that we are lucky to be going again.

After buying a vacation home near the water several years ago we did not tell the family. My wife finally told hers a year later and within two hours one of her sisters asked me if she could stay there during the summer (free). I said no, that it was an investment and we needed the rental income. She walked away fuming.

When we bought DVC several months ago we made a deal not to tell ANYONE, including my family and hers. We get the "Why are you not taking you son someplace educational like Williamsburg" from her mom. The same sister says "You are going to Disney Again??"

One of our neighbors keeps advising us to stay at the Swan since we can get discounts since my wife is a nurse and can't figure out why we would waste all that money at the Beach Club (but she stays at the Yacht Club).

I told her I was a HR consultant to Disney (which I sometimes am) and get the room for free (which I don't) - which annoys her more.

My wife loves the place, I love the place, my son loves the place. We will never get tired of it and if perhaps my son does, well my wife and I will still go. I will just buy additional points to be able to spend a week elsewhere - like the Sagamore in Lake George (which will annoy her mom more since she and her family stay in a complete dump on the lake because it is cheap - I never go with them. They can't imagine spending more than $800 a week for a vacation place.)

My Advice - keep it to yourself, and just try not to care what anyone thinks. Its your money - your life.

3DisneyKids said:
We have started getting this, now that we are DVC'ers..."what will you do when your kids out-grow Disney, sell your time-share?" And we laugh....our response...."The Disney vacations are for US! The fact that the kids love it too is just a bonus!"

Seriously though, many of our friends are supportive and just say that we are lucky to be going again.
That is just how I feel! I go to Disney because I love it, fortunately so do the kids, DS has been asking daily when do we go back. I do not have too many friends (we move too much in the Army), but the friends and family that I do have have stopped asking why and just accepted the addiction.

We also haven't told too many people about the DVC because the few people that do know have already asked if they can stay for free, Mmm, how about NO!

I get the "Disney, again?!" a lot too. Any time we have a week off from school, my parents and I go to DL - Spring Break, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. People ask me, "Don't you get tired of Disney?" My response, "Never!!!" We have APs to DL which cost about $329 a person. We usually make 3 trips a year for about 5 days. So, APs are much more cost effective than park hoppers. Since we became DVC members, we plan to get WDW APs. Will I get tired of Disney - No!!! I want to work for Disney. The day I get tired of Disney is the day I get tired of breathing.

Torontogal said:
Okay, we are really enjoying our DVC membership but realized that people can be so jelaous and negative. I want to know how you guys deal with the nosey neighbors and friends who make those wierd statements. We keep the fact that we have DVC membership very quiet but people seem to wonder how we can afford DVC. I stay at home with my 2 kids and we live in a very middle class area, and have 2 high end vehicles. My hubby has a great job but we are noticing that people (espec. neighbors) asking us, "so...what DOES your husband do for a living?" It is really becoming annoying. Have any of you experienced this and how do you reply?
Thanks.

When we joined DVC we kept our mouth shut. We told my parents and a few friends but that is it. I do not want to hear any more from anyone else.

DH and I both have management jobs. Myself in IT and DH in grocery retail. I work 12 hour night shifts. He works early mornings. Most of our neighbors think we are the vampire couple. One older neighbor told everyone we must be drug dealers because she never saw us go to work. Talk about annoying. At least the police have never shown up at our door. :rolleyes1

We do not have children so when we are not working our time is our own. That is the one main reason we do not tell anyone we are going to Disney. You would not believe how many folks want to tell you that you are crazy. Disney is for kids. Don't we know that. Why in the world would we be going when we are 46 and 47. :rotfl2: We snow ski and golf but apparently Disney is off limits to us OLD folks. :lmao:

cobbler said:
It really is all about priorities. We don't eat out hardly at all, don't go to movies, our local vacations are camping to keep costs down. I bet people would be amazed at what they can afford if they cut from other places.

ITA - I had a discussion with a friend of mine about designer purses. I like them and am lucky enough to own a couple (coach, burberry) and she thinks it is a complete waste of money and how can I afford them. I told her that DH & I don't go out much (especially now with DS) but she goes to the bars at least 3 days a week every week. Drinks are expensive! Probably her bar tab would pay for one of my purses in a month. Bar hopping is her choice and purses was mine (DS now gets all of that money in toys).

I also have taken to not telling family and friends unless I know they're Disney addicts like us. They don't get it and probably never will so I think it is better all around if we do our thing on vacations and they do theirs. Fortunately we don't live near my family so they would never be the wiser.

Cinderella2004- I loved that article. I know ALL those people!!!

Here's my fantasy vacation:

The Disney World Tour-begins in California where it ALL began with a visit to Disneyland. After soaking up history and screaming down the Matterhorn, it's off to Hong Kong and Tokyo for visit to each of the newest Disney parks. After enjoying the Orient experience, it's off to Disneyland Paris. The tour finishes with a long, relaxing vacation at Walt Disney World Florida, enjoying the vast riches of 4 theme parks, water parks and luxurious resorts.

When I hit that set me up for life, never have to work again lottery-that's the trip I'm takin'!

Our family and friends first thought it was "crazy" to buy a timeshare in Disney so we could go multiple times a year, but now most of them "get it" and if they haven't gone to WDW with us, they do understand. Most of them rely on us for all information Disney, and love having us as built in tour guides! The only one who still gives us flack is my SIL. She thinks she went to Disney once in 1996, and she "has already done that" so what's the point of going back? She didn't enjoy it, but then she had 4 kids in tow, went between Christmas and New Years, didn't plan or research before she went, and didn't see much but long lines because of it! :rolleyes:

We've found that most of the folks we know (friends/family) fall into one of two categories:
1. "Been there, done it...................."
or
2. "Been there, done it, can't wait to do it again............."
We don't even try to "get through" to those in Category #1..........(we just feel sorry for them :rotfl: ).

There are two kinds of people out there!!!

Those who GET IT!!!

and

Those who DO NOT!!!!!

I am just so happy that I fall into the first category and I married a man who does also and that I am raising two little ones to GET IT too! :teeth:
My DD3 uses the words "Disney World" in a sentence at least once a day. :rotfl2: So don't forget to nominate me for the "Mother Of The Year Award" :rotfl:

Hubby and I were having a chuckle about this just the other day. Many posts I read suggest that many DVC owners are doctors, lawyers or investors(this is not based on any true poll-just me guessing) Hubby is a humble truck driver, not generally put in the same league as the drs and lawyers. You never had your mama say "when you grow up marry a truck driver" :rotfl:
So, we do get a lot of eyebrows raised by folks who hear we are going AGAIN(this will be our big 2nd time to WDW- like that is a lot?)

We just bought DVC as an investment for our mental well being. I admit tho i am having a hard time confessing it. "My name is and I am a Disney Addict" I HATE saying "timeshare" I told my inlaws that we were looking at buying the DVC and boy the lecture I got caused me to regret that! They have a timeshare they hate..las vegas... i would hate it too!
I like replying "our summer home in Orlando" or maybe I will take one person's suggestion "I am vacationing in FL" and let folks assume it is the beach. Like why is that ok, but WDw isn't? Currently, i can blame it on the kids, but that excuse will only last so long!

Oh well, who cares I will be there in 26 days and all these negative people won't be anywhere in my thoughts :joker:

Many posts I read suggest that many DVC owners are doctors, lawyers or investors(this is not based on any true poll-just me guessing) Hubby is a humble truck driver, not generally put in the same league as the drs and lawyers

I'm a single person, with a clerical job that has a salary that is WELL below the average teacher's salary for my state, and I did DVC for the same reason you did-SANITY. I did a refi on my house when the interest rates were low and bought in then. I have to make cuts in a LOT of other things to afford airfare, food, goodies and dues, but it worth every penny to me in terms of my mental health.

A good friend of mine bought in last year and she's a church musician, single and used her inheritance to do it.

We're not all "professionals", we all just LOVE DISNEY!

Fitswimmer said:
Cinderella2004- I loved that article. I know ALL those people!!!

Here's my fantasy vacation:

The Disney World Tour-begins in California where it ALL began with a visit to Disneyland. After soaking up history and screaming down the Matterhorn, it's off to Hong Kong and Tokyo for visit to each of the newest Disney parks. After enjoying the Orient experience, it's off to Disneyland Paris. The tour finishes with a long, relaxing vacation at Walt Disney World Florida, enjoying the vast riches of 4 theme parks, water parks and luxurious resorts.

When I hit that set me up for life, never have to work again lottery-that's the trip I'm takin'!

AMEN!!!:dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

cobbler said:
OP-
It really is all about priorities. We don't eat out hardly at all, don't go to movies, our local vacations are camping to keep costs down. I bet people would be amazed at what they can afford if they cut from other places.

A co-worker and I just had the same discussion. He asked how we afforded to go so much and I used the reasons you gave...lol This was BEFORE I saw your post.

:banana:

Interesting post. We haven't told anyone we bought DVC and generally don't tell people when we go to DL or WDW because of the Disney....Again? attitude or my SIL sarcastic comment of "You guys sure do like Disney". We have had too many people not be supportive of things we enjoy so we don't want to set ourselves up for negative comments about something we are so excited about and enjoy so much. I might try the Florida vacation thing if anyone ever asks where we're going!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter