Yukon ho! Another 5/21/12 Wonder trip report! - updated 6/26!

I never really discussed this with anybody, but I agree with you about that duo that played the Promenade Lounge. They were most defnitely...er...strange. They reminded me of that SNL parody starring Will Ferrell and Ana Gasteyer...but not in a comical way. At one point, I walked by and they were singing a song by Katy Perry. Very odd.

On a side note, I do so enjoy seeing your pics...it's nice to see all the different perspectives as well as the different activities that others enjoyed on the cruise. Thanks for sharing!

I'm loving your updates. You seem to fit in all the bingo sessions. The first time we went to bingo, it took longer to get everyone their cards than it did to call all the numbers. We haven't been back since.

We finished about an hour, hour and a half before on board time. We could have walked around Juneau a little bit before reboarding (But you have to allow time for the 5-10 minute shuttle ride back to the ship). Also, we could have wandered for an hour or so before the excursion. However, if you can get the earlier time for the excursion, that would probably be better if you want to wander Juneau.

I will tell you that hands down, Mom and I both feel that the Taku Lodge excursion was the absolute best money we spent the whole trip! Better than the extra for the verandah that we used the heck out of and better than the waterfront upgrade at the Fairmont. I know it gave us sticker shock - but it was worth every penny!

Thanks so much for the info :goodvibes
I didn't realise that there was an option for an earlier excursion time.
That could work well for us, I'd just like to have a little time to walk around Juneau after the excursion
I am torn between this and whale watching but I am thinking that we will probably get to see a few whales from the ship anyway!

I am torn between this and whale watching but I am thinking that we will probably get to see a few whales from the ship anyway!

To make youre decision either harder or easier - we really only saw whales the one night on the cruise from the ship. We heard of others who saw some, but we didn't.

Also, I was not prepared for how little of the whale you actually see from the ship. We saw the water spout, then the tail. Yup, that's it. I think you see more of the whales on the excursions. But we ended up not doing our whale watching excursion, so I can't attest to that...

Sorry it's not more definitive, and remember, these are just my opinions and experiences - later in the season, it might be different!

I'm loving your updates. You seem to fit in all the bingo sessions. The first time we went to bingo, it took longer to get everyone their cards than it did to call all the numbers. We haven't been back since.

We did. That's something that Mom really enjoys on the cruises, so we try to make time for it! The second best thing Disney ever did was to get Mom to win several times on her first cruise (she actually ended up bringing home more money between that and winning the DVC onboard credit door prize!). She became hooked and we build Bingo money into our budget.

And for those wondering - the best thing Disney ever did was upgrade us to a verandah on that cruise - now Mom won't sail without one! :rotfl:

100_3520.jpg

The morning was a little crazy. We decided to breakfast at Beach Blanket Buffet – along with half the cruise ship, evidently. Martin, our assistant server was working and snagged a table for us. After breakfast, we went down to deck four to watch the ship dock in Ketchikan. It’s a lovely town that almost looks like a fishing village in a movie. Until you get closely and see the Harley Shop on the street facing the pier.

100_3526.jpg

(No, we didn’t climb this staircase… refer back to pictures of Mom and me to see why!) :laughing:

100_3527.jpg

100_3528.jpg

100_3532.jpg

Sadly, this isn’t our plane from yesterday coming to get us and take us back to Taku Lodge…

100_3533.jpg

100_3535.jpg

The poles below are used in the lumberjack show and the red bridge just past them is the entrance to Creek Street.

100_3536.jpg

100_3539.jpg

Mom and I headed out to do some shopping.

100_3541.jpg

We wandered over to Creek Street – at the turn of the century, it was where the brothels were located.

100_3547.jpg

100_3548.jpg

100_3544.jpg

100_3545.jpg

Today, it’s filled with shops – some with beautiful native artwork – some with cheap, but funny Alaskan t-shirts. The street is built up over a river that is a major salmon run during the season. Today, however, it was just a beautiful river with some rapids. After a while, Mom decided to head back to the ship, but I stayed ashore. (We had decided to skip our excursion – I was enjoying wandering in town and not being tied to a watch.)

About halfway up the street, there was a funicular up to the Cape Fox Lodge at the top of the hill. I paid my $2 (good for all day) and headed up the hill/mountain. (This picture is looking down on the funicular towards Creek Street)

100_3554.jpg

The totems of Cape Fox Lodge:

100_3552.jpg

I rode up, then followed Married Man’s path back down to Creek Street. It was a beautiful wooded bath – a very easy walk with lots of well-built stairs and some spectacular views!

100_3553.jpg

100_3555.jpg

Isnt’ it pretty?

100_3556.jpg

100_3559.jpg

100_3560.jpg

100_3561.jpg

100_3565.jpg

100_3568.jpg

This is a very easy walk down – even for us Pooh-sized people! The path is clean, clear and well-kept – all the stairs had handrails. A very lovely 15-20 minute walk back down to Creek Street…

100_3572.jpg

100_3568.jpg

Heading back towards the ship, I walked past Whale Park – a little pocket park, with the coolest benches!

100_3574.jpg

100_3573.jpg

100_3575.jpg

The main feature of the park is Chief Kyan’s Totem Pole. From Experienceketchikan.com: The Chief Kyan Totem pole is a lineage pole and has three figures. The Crane, at the top, represents Chief Kyan's wife, the next figure is a Thunderbird, Chief Kyan's wife's clan, and the Bear at the bottom is Chief Kyan's family crest.

100_3576.jpg

On the pier, I stopped to admire the bronze sculpture: The Rock. From the plaque: A Tlingit woman sits with her drum singing her song of Ketchikan. She tells the story you see before you on The Rock. She sings of how the loggers came and harvested the trees, the miners mined the gold, the fishermen dared the sea for the salmon and the halibut, and the pilots braved the sky, carrying people out beyond the reach of any ship or road. The pioneer woman arrives on her own, looking over the horizon of opportunity that awaits her here in this new land.

100_3584.jpg

I wandered my way back to the shop, picking up some souvenirs along the way.

Hi Mom!!

100_3585.jpg

No, really – she’s in that picture. Here, look, I’ll show you:

100_3586.jpg

Just as I finished my shopping, the rain started back up, which I took as a sign to finish up! I met Mom at our room, then we ordered room service for lunch. We sat at the window and visited, sorted our souvenirs from the whole trip to see what we still needed to pick up and had a lovely afternoon.
At 4:30 we went down to play bingo – Mom won a door prize, a DCL key chain and a small stuffed Minnie Mouse. And then on the last game, I won! WooHoo!! After bingo, we settled in Diversions to watch the world sail by while checking the Texas Rangers score (and yes, the Rangers had beaten the Blue Jays).

The evening show was Disney Dreams – my all-time favorite DCL show. The young lady who sang Annemarie was fantastic! I still cry…

After the show, we decided to go up to the room for a while to play games, then go back down during the second show and try to finish our shopping for the cruise. The plan worked really well – we had the shops almost completely to ourselves for 30 minutes.

We went back to the room for cheeseburgers (we had missed our dinner because we went to the show) and some more Skip Bo and bed.

100_3592.jpg

Saturday, May 28, 2012

We slept in this morning – sadly, it’s our last day on the Wonder. It’s been a fantastic cruise and I’m sorry to see it come to a close. After a light breakfast of pastries from the Cove Café, I ran down to the gift shop to have them correct my bill from the night before. They had accidentally charged me for something we had just asked the price for.

After that, I met Mom at bingo for the morning session. Afterwards, we went to Tritons for lunch. It was one of the best meals we have had on board. Mom had the asparagus appetizer, the fettuccini with meat balls in marinara and the tiramisu. I had the antipasti (with roasted garlic), the fettuccini and warm apple crumble with vanilla ice cream for dessert. It was wonderful!

After lunch, we finished our shopping, then headed up to our stateroom to start, sigh, packing. We were just about finished, but took a break for the afternoon bingo session. Sadly, we didn’t win…But, we had a good time!

After we finished our packing, Mom and I played rummy until it was time for dinner at Palo. It was so beautiful looking out over our verandah – it was raining, and so misty that it looked like the very beginning of the first pirate movie.

100_3595.jpg

Palo has become our traditional ‘last meal’ on board (breakfast before debarkation doesn’t count – it’s rushed and crazy).

100_3597.jpg

100_3598.jpg

Our dinner was a lovely 2 ½ hour meal. Nikoli from Serbia that had taken such good care of us at brunch was our server again this evening. We started with an antipasti platter. Mom had the Portobello risotto and I had the tomato and mozzarella salad for the appetizer. I enjoyed the beef tenderloin and gnocchi with gorgonzola sauce while Mom had the Osso Bucco. For dessert, Mom selected the panna cotta (she said it was smooth as could be) and I had the zabliogne. And to close the meal he brought out a dessert beverage of vodka, prosecco and lemon sorbet. It was a lovely meal and a perfect ending to a grand cruise!

100_3599.jpg

Monday, May 29, 2012

Sigh… That’s Seattle outside our balcony.

100_3600.jpg

100_3602.jpg

We finished packing our carry-ons and headed down for breakfast. In Seattle, you are called off the ship by groups. Our group was called just as we were finishing breakfast. We were quickly off the ship, through customs and in a cab to the airport. We had plenty of time – about four hours – before our flight. We got some lunch and started catching up on e-mails before taking the four-hour flight home. It had been a marvelous trip!!

Thanks for posting this report -- the pictures were spectacular! I'm living vicariously through you since Alaska isn't on my docket for the next few years (but totally on my wish list).

Thanks again, it was a great report!

No.....your TR can't be finished! No more updates to look forward to... :sad2: I really enjoyed reading and seeing your fantastic photos. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you had such a great time!

Aww, I am sad that your TR is over :sad2:

I have loved reading along and you've been really helpful in answering my questions

Thanks so much for taking the time to post :goodvibes

So sad your TR is finished. I will miss your updates. We hope to do Alaska in 2014. You have given me lots to look forward to. Thank you:flower3:

This was a great trip report, Michelle. I'm so glad you wrote it. We really had a good time, too. And, thanks for organizing the FE group!! I hope we can sail together again some day!!
Barbara:goodvibes

Y'all are sweet! :flower3: Thanks for your kind comments!

Claire, I'm with you - I would love to be back on the Wonder right now! (And not just because we hit 105 in Dallas yesterday!)

Hey Michelle,

Thanks for the great trip report. My wife and I board the Wonder on July 23rd for our 25th anniversary celebration. Can't wait to get on the ship again

I've really enjoyed your report. Thanks for sharing :)

Just found this report and off to a great start! I'll have a few pages to catch up, but I don't want to lose it, so I'm subbing in!

Joining in! My husband and I were on this cruise as well. I am loving reading the different things that we all did. Was your hotel the one that was part of Canada Place? Or just very close?

Cool, so this the same cruise that you were on, two perspectives! Nice! I wish I could find a report where someone is staying in our stateroom for the MR cruise! :laughing:

I am the type of person who thinks vacation = Disney World or sunny beaches. Why would anyone want to go where the weather is cold and dreary? ;)

But your trip report has convinced me I want to do an Alaskan cruise some day! Your photos are so beautiful, I can't imagine how breath-taking the views must have been in person. Thank you so much for sharing! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter