“Worth Every Penny” – A Young Couple’s take on the Eastern Magic!

We were so disappointed when we weren't able to meet you at the Sail Away Party. Well, after seeing your embarkation photo, we realized that we did meet you! We are the couple that won the Adult Disney Trivia Contest with you guys! How funny that we didn't even know who you were at the time. :rotfl2:

Yay, Team 2!!!!

DisneyTriviaWinners.jpg

We were so disappointed when we weren't able to meet you at the Sail Away Party. Well, after seeing your embarkation photo, we realized that we did meet you! We are the couple that won the Adult Disney Trivia Contest with you guys! How funny that we didn't even know who you were at the time. :rotfl2:

Yay, Team 2!!!!

DisneyTriviaWinners.jpg

OH MY GOSH! YOU're JMB910! HOLY COW, totally didn't know! Thank you for sending across that picture, I'll have to add it to my collection. You guys rocked and sent us to 1st with those amazing last-second questions! :cheer2:

Great trip reports! I snorted when I just read your post about taking really deep 1-2 hour naps. DH and I did the same thing on our Wonder trip. We felt drugged; I dunno what it is. It would have been great -- considering how deeply we slept -- except for everything we kept missing. That and the one or two times we showed up at dinner with pillow creases still on our faces. We're taking another DCL cruise in May '08, and we've sworn to not nap unless it's an emergency. ;) We figure the only way to do this is to ban all access to the cabin during the day -- which means you can find us by looking for the 2 snoring lobsters around the adult pool.

Can't wait to read the rest of your report! :thumbsup2

I completely concur! :lmao:

are you tall or are the ceilings there really low? Or maybe it was just taken at a weird angle? :confused3

Love your TR! :banana:

I think it's just the angle, because I never felt claustrophobic anywhere on the boat. That area is curved and the photo was taken from 20 feet away. The carpet is really busy-looking so that might have something to do with it too. Now that I think about it, I never really looked "up" to notice any ceilings on the ship!

OH MY GOSH! YOU're JMB910! HOLY COW, totally didn't know! Thank you for sending across that picture, I'll have to add it to my collection. You guys rocked and sent us to 1st with those amazing last-second questions! :cheer2:

SOOOOOOOOOOOO....

What'd you win???????????????

& how much studying do I really have to do to win the whole thing????

SOOOOOOOOOOOO....

What'd you win???????????????

& how much studying do I really have to do to win the whole thing????

Hi Tink

We won the medals that we're wearing in the photo (above). The other trivia game gave out metal DCL keychains. Those were the only two prizes I saw. No spa stuff or a free cruise...:guilty: :laughing:

Debarkation Day :sad1: :guilty:

Yes, Debarkation Day really is the saddest part of the cruise. The atmosphere is different and everyone is in a daze. The first part of the ugliness is that you have to wake up so early. Then you have to make sure you picked up everything out of your room and head downstairs to your restaurant with the tablemates that you may never see again. Our server wasn't as cheery as she normally was, but I don't blame her. She asked if all of us were ready to go home. We replied, "NO!!!". Someone asked her if she was ready to go home. She said, "Are you kidding? I'm going to Europe!" meaning the Med cruises that would be sailing a week after us.

The breakfast was pretty boring. I didn't want to eat a huge meal since I knew the day would be hectic. Honestly, all I wanted was cereal and a muffin. Our server looked surprised when this was all I ordered. Mike's pancakes were literally just that....pancakes. I guess he thought something else came on the side. We took our luggage and placed our comment card in the box next to the two Cast Members waving goodbye with their Mickey hands. I left great comments all around. :thumbsup2

I LOVE Disney's way of debarking. No numbers, no colors or groups, and no waiting for two hours in lounges sleeping. You simply finish eating and get off the boat. We found our luggage in the terminal in the appropriate color-coded area. The line to turn in your immigration card wasn't long, and it only took us about 10 minutes to get everything and get outside to the buses. The creation over the past few years of the airlines teaming up with the cruise lines to get your tickets is BRILLIANT. We used it in Alaska for RCCL and we were fortunate to be flying a participating airline (American) from Orlando, so we were presented with our boarding passes right then and there! It's a great feature. They took our luggage at that moment and we wouldn't have to see them until 12 hours later in California. :woohoo:

The ride back on the bus was quiet and uneventful, as most people have described. They play a DVC advertisement - as if we haven't been pushed on the DVC idea on our stateroom tv's all week long! Our driver was a bit rude. He had a Jersey accent and seemed bitter. He even barked at one guy for bringing a carry-on piece of luggage on the bus instead of underneath. Sheesh. No tip for him. :snooty:

We got to the airport at 11am, and our flight didn't leave until 4:50pm!!! We toyed with the idea of a day room at the Hyatt, but after spending so much on the cruise, I wanted to save every dollar at that point. At least we didn't have three suitcases to lug around MCO! We took our time walking through the gift shops. We went through NASA's Kennedy Space Center shop, the Universal Studios Orlando shop, and the Walt Disney World shop. There were tons of cute items, but again, we were too out of it to buy things. We plopped down in the atrium for about an hour. Then we ate an early lunch at Chili's. Somehow, the time flew, and we went through security to the American branch and waited in a very dismal boarding area for the next 2 hours. We even thought about getting an earlier flight, but families on the bus ride to the airport were already on their cell phones trying the same idea, and it looked like we would all be put on standby, and who knows if our seats would even be together. So Mike and I stuck it out.

When 4pm rolled around, it was announced that our flight was delayed. Luckily it was only 20 minutes or so, but I noticed that the plane that came it was a 757 and not the S80, which meant that half of the long trip back would result in one of us squished next to a stranger. Sure enough, we boarded and the guy sitting in our row declined my offer to take the window seat, so I was stuck against the window and Mike was in the middle. They played "Charlotte's Web" on the old tv screens and offered free sodas (all other candy and bars had to be purchased! What happened to the snack basket and peanuts? :sad2: ) The flight back was longer than the flight out, I'm assuming because of the wind speed. I realized that having our flight bumped meant that we would now have only 25 minutes to get off that plane and run as fast as we could to the next gate in Dallas/Fort Worth to catch our second leg. Dallas is layed out kind of weird, and you'd better pray that you're in the same concourse or else you have to take the tram to three other lettered areas. Mike was in a tizzy the entire flight assuring me that we would miss the next flight. At the end of our current flight, the flight attendant read off the connecting gates, and luckily ours was one of the very few that connected in the same concourse! Mike breathed a sigh of relief. We were only 6 gates away!

We landed in Dallas and checked the tv screens. Our plane, out of all of them, was the only one delayed going home! Normally this is bad news, but for us it was a miracle! :wizard: We now had an hour to get food and go to the bathroom! We finally borded the second plane and were happy to land on California soil. It's amazing how only being gone a week is enough for you to say, "Yep, I've had it. I'm done. I'm ready to go home now!" Granted, I loved the Magic, I just should have done the air travel different. Our flight to California was a half-hour longer than the flight out and there were high winds. The last 20 minutes of the flight felt like a boat being stuck in a storm. The pilots faught the turbulence the best they could. We were descending, which was good, I just wanted to be on the ground! :scared1: The last ten minutes were very bumpy and I kept thinking how annoying it would be if I didn't make it home. At least I can die saying I went on my Disney Cruise! :cloud9: Luckily it was a bumpy but successful landing. I was so happy to be back on the ground, back in my state, and back to thin un-humid air!

Mike and I were starving at that point and drove to an Applebee's in my old hometown. We were in a complete daze. We had breakfast in Florida, lunch in Texas, and dinner in California. We still had an hour's drive home after that, which was spent in silence with the occasional moan of sleepyness here and there. It was great to pull into our driveway and see our house still standing. No mail overflowing, everything looked peaceful. You always miss the smell of your house, it's funny. We unpacked our toiletries and went to bed. I had one of those moments where I was too tired to sleep. Physically I was exhausted, but I'm sure mentally my mind was racing. Plus, I knew I had 5 loads of laundry coming up! :laundy:

Like clockwork, the Mal de debarquement (dizzyness) set in. You know, the motion of the ocean....minus the ocean. I got it on the last two cruises, but this one wasn't as bad. Maybe because I knew it was coming.

So, like my title says, our Disney cruise was magical, fun, amazing, worth every penny, and definitely set the cruising bar very high. I don't have to try to sell you all on it, because cleary by these boards there's no other fan club for a cruise line quite like this one. We are already looking into a future Double-Dip on the Wonder. But we'll be buying our first house next year so it looks like it might be '09 or '10. Who knows, maybe we'll wait for the new ships to come our way.

So to those reading, thank you. And to those sailing, you will have a GREAT time. Just remember that the cruise ship does all it can for you. It is up to you to decide whether or not to participate in the activities. If you sit in your room and don't engage in the dinners and shows, you may end up disliking the experience. However, if you do your best to go to the activities and make the best of it, you'll have a great time. Cruising is not for everyone, I totally understand that. But Disney does a really superb job of making your vacation as unique and enjoyable as they can.

And they did! :grouphug:

Bravo! :thumbsup2 Great report. :thumbsup2 Really enjoyed it. :thumbsup2 Sad it's over. :sad1: But definitely makes me look forward to my upcoming cruise!! :thumbsup2

Yey! Great ending to a faboulous trip report! :thumbsup2 Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

If you don't mind me asking, did you get any type of discount since Mike works for the Disney Channel?

Thanks again!:goodvibes

Yey! Great ending to a faboulous trip report! :thumbsup2 Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

If you don't mind me asking, did you get any type of discount since Mike works for the Disney Channel?

Thanks again!:goodvibes

Hi Jennifer48,

Shockingly, we got NO discounts from working for the Disney channel! As a matter of fact, they don't even give out free tickets to Disneyland either, which would've been neat. What's $72 when you make millions! :laughing: They do give out free DVD's around Christmastime, like Cinderella III and Sky High and Herbie. An annual pass would've been awesome:cloud9: .

Mickey then announced that instead of a party, he was going to give us a party….in the sky! Like clockwork, Mike and I turned to our right and there being launched off the forward pool deck was a great 5-10 minute fireworks show! And no folks, it wasn’t a few cheesy backyard illegal poppers, it was the real deal. Disney completely rocks for having been able to do that at sea. I believed we were stopped or going incredibly slow at the time. Through the booms and bangs, Mike yelled to me, “Carnival can kiss it. This cruise just paid for itself!”

I read this part really fast and thought it was Mickey who yelled "Carnival can kiss it!" when the fireworks were going off!!! :rotfl: How cool would that be, tho?

Really great TR and great pics. You look like Pam from The Office. In my mind I call you Pam. I was thinking the other day, I wonder if Pam has updated her TR? Ooops, that show is not on ABC!!!

Mickey then announced that instead of a party, he was going to give us a party….in the sky! Like clockwork, Mike and I turned to our right and there being launched off the forward pool deck was a great 5-10 minute fireworks show! And no folks, it wasn’t a few cheesy backyard illegal poppers, it was the real deal. Disney completely rocks for having been able to do that at sea. I believed we were stopped or going incredibly slow at the time. Through the booms and bangs, Mike yelled to me, “Carnival can kiss it. This cruise just paid for itself!”

I read this part really fast and thought it was Mickey who yelled "Carnival can kiss it!" when the fireworks were going off!!! :rotfl: How cool would that be, tho?

Really great TR and great pics. You look like Pam from The Office. In my mind I call you Pam. I was thinking the other day, I wonder if Pam has updated her TR? Ooops, that show is not on ABC!!!

LOL Amy.... :lmao:

Your post had me laughing. That would be hillarious if Mickey said that. And thank you for the Pam comment. I Google'd some pictures of her and you're very close with that prediction! :)

was it cotton eyed joe? I think that is the name of the song played at CC. "where did you come from, where did you go, cotten eyed joe" Now I have the tune in my head and I wanna clog or something. hee hee-

was it cotton eyed joe? I think that is the name of the song played at CC. "where did you come from, where did you go, cotten eyed joe" Now I have the tune in my head and I wanna clog or something. hee hee-

LOL, no it wasn't that one. But that one DOES get caught in my head a lot. I think it was by a girl. They played it while the characters were dancing. The "Reach For The Stars" song was cute too. Your trip report is dead on when you describe the humidity. Wet towel indeed! :eek: :)

Emily...

I love your trip report. My DGF and I have been on 2 cruises thus far and are taking the September 29th Eastern this year... We love cruising with Disney, even with all the kids, etc. on board... It's a great expereience... I loved your trip report and your pics and can't wait to start my own!!!

Terrific trip report! We too, napped deeply every afternoon. In fact, I have photos of all 4 of us (two 50-something couples) on our first cruise sleeping on deck 10, deck 4, by the pool, on castaway cay, etc. Just like the dad in the commercial. Oh yes! I have lots to do. lol

I love that there are other young couples without kids that love Disney and Disney Cruises. My DH and I are almost 25 and don't plan on ever having kids (everyone says that will change, but knowing my DH I doubt it), but I always plan on taking Disney vacations. I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of your TR. It's always nice to hear reports from people similar to us.

I'm you girls - only 30 odd years older at 59. It's now, in the autumn of my life that I wish I'd had children. Our friends are all busy with grandkids sporting events and every holiday is spent with one or more of their extended families. We have none. My husband got hurt and was in a cast for a couple months and there was no one to call - which kinda brought it home to me that as we move into old age, it will be he and I. and eventually one of us alone. Just something to think about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter