‘Tiana’s Bayou Adventure’ to Open in Late 2024, Replacing Splash Mountain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Song of the South (is it racist to even type that title? OMG! Someone burn my keyboard!) has been buried in some deep, dark Disney vault, and will probably never again see the light of day. But that wasn't enough, they have to mess with a beloved ride, when most visitors to WDW don't know or care about what inspired it. And judging from most posts I've read, few fans are happy about this.

Thank God that Disney is ignoring the wishes of the overwhelming majority, in favor of some cabal of "woke" nuts who, heaven forbid, might complain or protest!

I think I'll just call it Disney's Bayou Misadventure. And a salt mine is soo much more evocative than a mountain.

Some of y’all stand in line for pictures with cartoon character costumed college kids and then complain about this ride breaking realism and illusion. Huh.

No disrespect. Just not sure why suspension of disbelief is fine in one spot but not the other.

Last edited:

Can we just be honest that it's not about the suspension of disbelief (I'm sorry - can someone direct me to the mountain in Georgia Splash Mountain is theoretically based on since we have to be so literal and nothing can change? No ... but, but, but ... such and such is 140 miles away from New Orleans so it can't possibly make sense!) but maybe it's a reaction that the underlying views that accompany something so beloved as racism cultural identity are being challenged and dismantled. I'd give the Foghorn Leghorns of the world way more credit if they were just a little more self-aware. (edited to be clear that I'm not challenging FCDub's post - it just sparked some thought. And contrary to their graciousness, I probably do write with disrespect ...)

So to be clear, they are re-theming the ride, which is based on a Disney animation of ancient African and Caribbean oral tradition because of its unfortunate association with a movie that depicts a reconstruction-era freedman in an indelicate albeit historical manner.

And re-theming to take guests on a magical journey through a salt mine that was built, operated by and profited from slavery and which supplied materials and money to the confederate army before it was blown up as a valuable military target by a union general.

That’s what we’re going for?
Portraying enslaved (and recently freed) African Americans as "kind, old Uncle Remus" is not historically correct. That was propaganda. And here's a great article (although I haven't had time to check all the sources) that talks about how the enslaved help bring down the south, and how salt mining wasn't a thing down south until the Civil War: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/civil-war-salt
Song of the South (is it racist to even type that title? OMG! Someone burn my keyboard!) has been buried in some deep, dark Disney vault, and will probably never again see the light of day. But that wasn't enough, they have to mess with a beloved ride, when most visitors to WDW don't know or care about what inspired it. And judging from most posts I've read, few fans are happy about this.

Thank God that Disney is ignoring the wishes of the overwhelming majority, in favor of some cabal of "woke" nuts who, heaven forbid, might complain or protest!

I think I'll just call it Disney's Bayou Misadventure. And a salt mine is soo much more evocative than a mountain.
Show me the "overwhelming majority" in an unbiased poll (can't be from a random internet poll) please?

Hey, Pecos Bill is our go-to eatery at MK. And it's a great place to see the parade!
We love it also!!! Bring back the fixins bar!!!!

RUMOR - The new Coco land will actually be a complete overhaul of Frontierland.

There have been rumblings for about 6 years that they wanted to renovate Frontierland and possibly Tom Sawyer Island so this wouldn't be a surprise to me if true. Most kids today know nothing of the old frontier and it's attractions are grossly underused.

And if they do they can move the Riverboat dock over by Tiana's as that would tie in very well.

So to be clear, they are re-theming the ride, which is based on a Disney animation of ancient African and Caribbean oral tradition because of its unfortunate association with a movie that depicts a reconstruction-era freedman in an indelicate albeit historical manner.

And re-theming to take guests on a magical journey through a salt mine that was built, operated by and profited from slavery and which supplied materials and money to the confederate army before it was blown up as a valuable military target by a union general.

That’s what we’re going for?
The problem is that the ride is not based on the stories from their original source. The stories were in essence stolen from their community by a white Georgia man who rewrote the stories inaccurately and offensively to appeal to his community. Song of the South was based on his version of the stories. I understand if folks don't understand the stories' history, the offensive way the characters speak etc because it's just a cartoon to most. But it is easy enough to research why Mr. Harris' version of the stories in not what Disney should perpetuate. Disney made a mistake, they are trying to address it.

I think everyone is getting too hung up on the salt mine. Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen where they have said that the entire ride is based on a salt mine. I think that the ride having many different "rooms" will be reflective of NOLA and the surrounding area, and this will just be one aspect of it.

Yeah, no. I think the majority don't care at all one way or another they just want to go enjoy a ride.

I think the next majority are very excited about Tiana getting a ride.

I think the minority are those fighting to save the ride's theme.

PS The "word" you use ... it isn't a bad thing. :thumbsup2

Portraying enslaved (and recently freed) African Americans as "kind, old Uncle Remus" is not historically correct. That was propaganda.
THIS^

I live in the land of Mr. Harris. What he did was not okay. And there is no reason to perpetuate it.
And here's a great article (although I haven't had time to check all the sources) that talks about how the enslaved help bring down the south, and how salt mining wasn't a thing down south until the Civil War: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/civil-war-salt

Show me the "overwhelming majority" in an unbiased poll (can't be from a random internet poll) please?
Thank you, interesting read.

RUMOR - The new Coco land will actually be a complete overhaul of Frontierland.

There have been rumblings for about 6 years that they wanted to renovate Frontierland and possibly Tom Sawyer Island so this wouldn't be a surprise to me if true. Most kids today know nothing of the old frontier and it's attractions are grossly underused.

And if they do they can move the Riverboat dock over by Tiana's as that would tie in very well.

The problem is that the ride is not based on the stories from their original source. The stories were in essence stolen from their community by a white Georgia man who rewrote the stories inaccurately and offensively to appeal to his community. Song of the South was based on his version of the stories. I understand if folks don't understand the stories' history, the offensive way the characters speak etc because it's just a cartoon to most. But it is easy enough to research why Mr. Harris' version of the stories in not what Disney should perpetuate. Disney made a mistake, they are trying to address it.

I think everyone is getting too hung up on the salt mine. Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen where they have said that the entire ride is based on a salt mine. I think that the ride having many different "rooms" will be reflective of NOLA and the surrounding area, and this will just be one aspect of it.

Yeah, no. I think the majority don't care at all one way or another they just want to go enjoy a ride.

I think the next majority are very excited about Tiana getting a ride.

I think the minority are those fighting to save the ride's theme.

PS The "word" you use ... it isn't a bad thing. :thumbsup2

How can we enjoy a ride if it's inferior to the one it replaced? That is the scenario that many of us fear. I wouldn't mind the new version if it's just as good -- and not full of screens. instead of AAs. But I don't see how that will happen because it looks like the ride will be closed for less than a year. (and if it WAS closed for a long time, that would be short changing us, too).

I would love to be proven wrong, but this retheme is looking very unpromising.

We can argue about majorities or minorities all we want, and it just comes down to opinion. But I'm pretty confident about this: if we end up with an inferior version of the ride, we have all been cheated.

Last edited:
How can we enjoy a ride if it's inferior to the one it replaced?
NO ONE has any idea if it will be inferior. The basic ride is not changing. The scenery is changing. We only have the basic of info and anything more than that is the imagination of the outside observer.

It was expected MRR would be awful, cardboard cutouts and projections. Yes the AA are gone, but honestly I'd rather have a few of the exceptional AAs like in Galaxy Edge than have the lot of the minimally moving, jaw clanking ones in Splash Mountain.

GoG everyone upset, myself included, that it was going to be a coaster with screens. Everyone loves it. It works. Rise of the Resistance and MF are screen based rides and they are great. There is a balance that can be done and it work.

That is the scenario that many of us fear. I wouldn't mind the new version if it's just as good -- and not full of screens. instead of AAs.
We all want quality attractions. Large numbers of AAs are a thing of the past and we just have to move forward or move on to somewhere else for our fun. The hope is a good mix of screen, 3D objects and layered scenery. But honestly the ones complaining about the change never talk about screens, they talk about the loss of their Br'er characters and the distaste for Tiana.

But I don't see how that will happen because it looks like the ride will be closed for less than a year. (and if it WAS closed for a long time, that would be short changing us, too).
They already said it will open 2024, and that likely will be the end of the year. That is more than 2 years from now. Honestly for all the complaining they should just shut it down next week and get started. Rip off the band-aid. But I think it might make it to Christmas and then shut down. Still gives them plenty of time given the structure and ride system are in place. They can be constructing offsite and just move things over.

I would love to be proven wrong, but this retheme is looking very unpromising.
Just because you don't like the Tiana theme/story they are putting out there doesn't mean there are not many excited for it.

I wish Great Movie Ride, Mr. Toad, Maelstrom and others are here ... but I rode my last ride, said good bye and got excited for the next story.

We can argue about majorities or minorities all we want, and it just comes down to opinion.
Exactly, opinions don't make fact or create numbers.

But I'm pretty confident about this: if we end up with an inferior version of the ride, we have all been cheated.
The only thing you can do and others who are not happy is speak with your dollars. Don't go if you feel cheated, but don't say all because everyone has different expectations. Honestly for me there is no where to go but up on this attraction, it's time and we'll still get our flume ride and splash.

We haven't been to WDW since 2016 and will likely not return until 2025 (at the earliest). I am sad not to experience the classic ride again. I do hope that they will do right by the changes and not give us a cheap imitation of what they could do.

We haven't been to WDW since 2016 and will likely not return until 2025 (at the earliest). I am sad not to experience the classic ride again. I do hope that they will do right by the changes and not give us a cheap imitation of what they could do.

Honestly the fact tron opens now in Spring has me thinking this ride may not be completed by 2024. Splash I think will be an absolutely tremendous amount of work to redo and I just have a feeling 2024 seems incredibly short amount of time.

I'll believe it when I ride it.

NO ONE has any idea if it will be inferior. The basic ride is not changing. The scenery is changing. We only have the basic of info and anything more than that is the imagination of the outside observer.

It was expected MRR would be awful, cardboard cutouts and projections. Yes the AA are gone, but honestly I'd rather have a few of the exceptional AAs like in Galaxy Edge than have the lot of the minimally moving, jaw clanking ones in Splash Mountain.

GoG everyone upset, myself included, that it was going to be a coaster with screens. Everyone loves it. It works. Rise of the Resistance and MF are screen based rides and they are great. There is a balance that can be done and it work.

We all want quality attractions. Large numbers of AAs are a thing of the past and we just have to move forward or move on to somewhere else for our fun. The hope is a good mix of screen, 3D objects and layered scenery. But honestly the ones complaining about the change never talk about screens, they talk about the loss of their Br'er characters and the distaste for Tiana.

They already said it will open 2024, and that likely will be the end of the year. That is more than 2 years from now. Honestly for all the complaining they should just shut it down next week and get started. Rip off the band-aid. But I think it might make it to Christmas and then shut down. Still gives them plenty of time given the structure and ride system are in place. They can be constructing offsite and just move things over.

Just because you don't like the Tiana theme/story they are putting out there doesn't mean there are not many excited for it.

I wish Great Movie Ride, Mr. Toad, Maelstrom and others are here ... but I rode my last ride, said good bye and got excited for the next story.

Exactly, opinions don't make fact or create numbers.

The only thing you can do and others who are not happy is speak with your dollars. Don't go if you feel cheated, but don't say all because everyone has different expectations. Honestly for me there is no where to go but up on this attraction, it's time and we'll still get our flume ride and splash.
I said IF we get an inferior version, then we got cheated. I think that's pretty straightforward. Now, am I optimistic about the new version? No. And I do not see any reason to be.

There are excellent screen-based attractions. like FOP. But those were built from the ground up to maximize the potential of screens, and do things with them that no other tech can accomplish. But if you arbitrarily shove some screens into a long flume ride, while tearing out lots of AAs, I don't see how that can possibly be anything less than a downgrade. We're going to go through a boat ride past a bunch of screens? Sucks. In it's present form, we go through a boat ride sorrounded by sets, effects, AAs. It's no accident that this is a beloved family ride.

By the way, it's absurd that a bunch of cute animal animatronics can possibly offend anyone. Utter nonsense.

Again, I hope to be proven wrong about this looming downgrade. But, unfortunately, I don't think I will. Disney would rather give us a crap version than to fail to appease the "woke" nuts.

Last edited:
I said IF we get an inferior version, then we got cheated. I think that's pretty straightforward. Now, am I optimistic about the new version? No. And I do not see any reason to be.

There are excellent screen-based attractions. like FOP. But those were built from the ground up to maximize the potential of screens, and do things with them that no other tech can accomplish. But if you arbitrarily shove some screens into a long flume ride, while tearing out lots of AAs, I don't see how that can possibly be anything less than a downgrade. We're going to go through a boat ride past a bunch of screens? Sucks. In it's present form, we go through a boat ride sorrounded by sets, effects, AAs. It's no accident that this is a beloved family ride.

By the way, it's absurd that a bunch of cute animal animatronics can possibly offend anyone. Utter nonsense.

Again, I hope to be proven wrong about this looming downgrade. But, unfortunately, I don't think I will. Disney would rather give us a crap version than to fail to appease the "woke" nuts.
Not going to bother addressing the items stated as fact that, are not ...

But as to the bolded - we understand why you are attached to the Br'ers, you've said it more than once.

There is a reason why Song of the South is not available to buy here, and why this ride will be rethemed.

Honestly hope they shut it down as soon as possible and get moving on giving Tiana a place in the parks.

Look on the bright side. If this happens as you fear, you can always visit Stone Mountain, GA to get your fix.
We went there last summer - mostly because of the train ride for our train obsessed son. Boy, what an odd experience. We won't be back, that's for sure... :scared:

I can tell a lot of you who are upset about the re-theming don't have young kids. While my oldest loved the ride itself, she was lukewarm on the theming since she didn't really know who the br'er rabbit was. But when I told her it was being changed into a Princess and the Frog theme she was all excited about it. The only part she was bummed out about was that it would take so long and we wouldn't get to ride it on our next trip.

My stomach is kind of queazy with all this defense of Pecos Bill. Our local little league games have better plastic nacho cheese and individual salsa packs.

Orlando in general, and even Epcot, has some excellent Mexican food. Pecos Bill is not it. Pecos Bill with some IP (Coco?) somehow seems even grosser.

Some of y’all stand in line for pictures with cartoon character costumed college kids and then complain about this ride breaking realism and illusion. Huh.

No disrespect. Just not sure why suspension of disbelief is fine in one spot but not the other.
Yes, exactly, thank you! I've seen a group of grown middle aged women wait in line for a picture with Cinderella and then proceed to tell her how pretty her hair was. My eyes couldn't have rolled farther back in my head as I thought, "Oh dear God, it's a wig!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter