20041218-cruise-friends-memories Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
OM - just noticed you're TWO posts away from 2000.....

Well - I work nights again tonight - going to take a nap....

Mary - good questions - I'll fill in the answers from work....

Until later....

Virgil
pirate:

Originally posted by WDWLVR
Ask for a topic and you sharll receive one.

Formal & Semi-Formal night. What are you wearing?

Guys - tuxes, suits, sportcoat & pants, being a rebel and wearing shorts?

Anyone wearing anything that could be classified as a holiday look for either these nights or any other?
If I have to haul that tux clear across the country, you better believe I'll be wearing it. :hyper: Actually I like my tux, I even have a Mickey vest and bow tie that will be worn on one of the nights.

I love my shorts and sandals, but it's feels good to get dressed up for dinner. Makes me want to eat slower.........

Don't have anything really Christmasy, maybe a tie for my black suit. I'll bring that.

Who's going to dress up their cabin doors??? (more stuff to haul across the country):tongue:

Originally posted by paulcrsb
I wear a black suit. (I hate to dress up).

Paul
So Paul, do you have to wear a suit for work?

Most of the folks I know that hate dressing up on their time off "have" to wear a suit or dress up for work. Being a remodeling contractor I just have to have a clean shirt and it's cool :crazy:

We are going to rent a tux for Mark. Did it on our 7 day in '01 and it worked great.

As for me. I have a short cocktail dress that I wore to BIL's wedding and I also have a long black skirt with a nice top.

I do have a vest decorated with christmas lights which I may wear with a white blouse and either the long skirt or black pants.

We are thinking of doing a door decoration with the magnetic paper. Not sure of what just yet.

Sweet dreams cruisers! A wonderful good night to all of you.

Hope those at WDW are having a good time!

Since I say good morning in the morning I thought I would say good night for Stacey. Sweet dreams everyone!

tinksdad - I don't have to get dressed up. I work at a TV station and it's very casual. (Jeans and a t-shirt in the summer). I could even wear shorts to work if I wanted to but I think that's a little too casual. Even though I hate dressing up I don't mind so much on the cruise as long as the DW dresses me!

Paul

Well, I was the one that bought the tux. But I have to hand it to DH, he bought a new black microfiber suit last year. Very snazzy.

DD and I will dress up, probably to excess in DD's case. I will bring at least one long dress, and a long black skirt with a couple of fancy tops. We have so many nights this time! I do like to wear at least a sundress or nice pants outfit to dinner, even on casual nights. I hope no one minds seeing the same outfit twice!

Well - I plan on taking my tux. I figure - I have one - so I might as well use it. I am lurking on ebay watching for a Mickey/Disney vest I like. I might take a sport coat to wear on semi-formal night with one of my many Disney ties....I don't mind getting dressed up - and I think I'll enjoy the formal/semi-formal night(s) on the cruise....

DW, DD, and DD will all get dressed up, too.... DD (Kristin 19) and I went to dinner the other day in Morgantown recruiting some of the residents there. She wore her new "adult" little black dress... boy did that evey make me feel old.... It was adult in that it was a little longer....not a teen dress....

Be back later....again....

Glad the Boards came back... I was worried I was going to be locked out all night....

Virgil
pirate:

GOOD FRIDAY MORNING HOLIDAY CRUISERS!!!

Guess I had to post the good morning - since all of the West Coasters deserted me.....

Hope that everybody has a GREAT Friday - yes even those visiting Mickey without me.....

OM - good luck with your pup today!

Virgil
pirate:

Let's see, I'll pull a stace/lynda and do multiple posts this morning. First one the normal "what's new in the life of TKD Lisa and family?" For those old enough to remember this line "Confused? You won't be.... after this next episode of Soap".

I edited this to fix my really bad memory this morning (wrong quote!)

Got a call from the babysitter mid-afternoon that DS was still in really bad pain, so DH went home to take him to the doctor. They gave him some tylenol w/ coedine, which really seemed to help. But everytime it wears off, he's crying with pain again. I can't wait til the swelling goes down, so that he doesn't have to suffer. As soon as he got the medicine in his system, he fell dead asleep (in the back of the van). He woke up a couple times in the night needing a warm cloth for his ear, and then his pain med, but hopefully the worst will be over today.

Bought the movie Miracle on pay per view last night. That was really a good show. What really amazed me was seeing all the historical references and realizing that all that stuff was happening at the same time (the gas lines, Russians in Afghanistan, Hostages in Iran, etc.) Boy was that the proverbial "May you live in interesting times?"

I should be in chat tonight (yeah, I promised that last week too!) Chat with you there.

Anyway, next post will answer Mary's formal attire questions. Happy Friday.

:flower1: Good Morning Cruisers! :flower1:

TGIF!

OM - good luck with the puppy today! I noticed when I pulled up the Good Morning you had asked a couple of pages back about Karyn (Kabuli1). She pretty much disappeared off the thread after her January cruise. She was supposed to be moving to the West Coast and plans fell through and she ended up in the SW. I think she lives not far from Diane (Dancinid) now. Don't know if she is still going on the cruise or not. Hope this helps.

Lisa - so sorry to hear about you DS - poor thing. Hope he gets better today.

I should be in chat tonight. We'll be watching the truck race from IRP but since we have a TV in the computer room I can do both!

Attire on the cruise Formal/semi-formal

I have a green velvet and taffeta formal that is left over from an office dining out (kind of a formal dinner that the military does). It does look very seasonal because of the color and fabric. That's for formal night.

For semi-formal and maybe Palo (if we go), I have a dressy pair of black slacks and two fancy tops. One is a pink sleeveless shell with bugle beads, and the other is a copper silk. I think the copper one looks very Holiday-like just because it's shiny. It's the kind of thing you might wear for New Year's Eve.

DD has a black spaghetti strap dress with a white band across the top. I found it on my shopping trip to Tyson's Corner this month, and it looks really nice on her. It's not your typical little girl dress, but also not the typical prom dress type thing either. 12 1/2 is a tough age to buy for! For semi formal, she has a sparkly black skirt with a black velvet off one shoulder top.

For DS, I found him a navy blue blazer on the Penney's clearance page for $19. I got a pair of navy slacks and a pair of gray slacks, so he'll be in a navy suit for formal night, and the classic blue blazer/gray slacks look for semi-formal. He really likes to dress up. He insisted on wearing his "suit" to church a couple of weeks ago. Some of the teen girls were looking at him, and he was so cute! He sat up a little straighter, and adjusted his tie. It was like he was thinking "yeah, I look SHARP!" And he's not quite 11 yet!!!

DH has a couple of very nice black suits. He'll probably just wear one of them for both nights. He'll probably also bring a camel hair sportcoat that he has for one of the other nights.

For the in-laws, I bought MIL and black beaded dress (knee length) for Mother's Day. She'll wear that on formal night. At Christmas, FIL gave us money to buy presents from him to MIL (typical in our family, because FIL's idea is usually an electric skillet and an iron!). We got a neat 3 piece set of black jersey slacks and jacket with a gold lame blouse. That will probably be for semi-formal night. The two of us together might just be too shiny to look at!!! FIL will be just like DH, dark suit and tie for both nights.

On non-formal nights, we usually go with sundresses/capris for DD, dockers and polo shirts or Hawaiian shirts for DS, Dress slacks with either shirt/tie or open necked shirt for DH, and sundresses or dress slacks for me.

It doesn't bother me if people show up for dinner in casual clothes, but I also enjoy the experience of looking nice. Whoever said it makes you eat slower, I agree with that. It makes it more of an occasion. Now if someone at my table was in a tank top and cut-offs, I have to admit that would bother me. If they were nice, I probably wouldn't ask to be moved, but it still would annoy me.

Good Morning everyone. Great questions Mary. Very busy day at our home yesterday

Virgil, DS got stung by a jellow jacket yesterday playing duck, duck goose at the park near our home. I did not have my Epipen Jr. with me. I did have Bendryl but he spit it right out!!! When he was 8 months old he got bitten not stung by a carpenter bee while I was working in the recovery area of the Cath Lab and he went into shock at our home. Our babysitter knew just what to do and called 911. She took the teeth out of his finger. I did not know they bite or had venum in their bite. That was the last time I went back to work. So we live about a mile from the local hospital and we were there for a few hours. He did not go into shock this time but he blew up, fever, rash and he was screaming his throat hurt. Very scary!!!!!! Some of the employees I know were working. Anyway it was all taken care of through the I.V. He was I.V. before we even got him on the gurney. Thank the lord that we live so close to the hospital and I will never forget that Epipen again!! I learned my lesson, big time!!!!!!!

DH will be wearing a tux or his dark blue suit. Semi Formal he will be wearing his sports jacket with funky ties or Disney ties.
DH likes to get dressed up. He is a general contractor during the day and a great dresser at night if we are going out. He loves when I put his outfits together.

I will be getting dreesed up as well. I have a long dress and a few shorter dresses I will be bringing on the cruise. I found one pretty dress for DD and still looking for another. As for DS I want to buy him a sports Jacket and nice pants. He is will look so so cute all dressed up. This will be the first time for him getting all dressed up.

DH just signed a contract for a very large job that will last through the holidays. He is actually hoping to wrap it up by the time we leave on the 14th. If he can't than he will meet us at the cruise and I will be taking the children to WDW and MVMCP with my in laws. I am so glad we do not have to cancel the cruise as I was very worried this past week we would have to. I am thankful we will still be cruising with you all and the children will not be disappointed.

As for the Hershey trip that might have to be cancelled for us . It depends on DH and where he is on the job. It is also the Jewish Holiday the day before we leave and I have everyone over our home for that so it just might be to tight with everything going on. We won't be able to tell you all if we can make it until a few days before the trip. I called the hotel and I only have to give 24 hour cancelation.

We love to snorkel and DD has taken it up also. So we are going to look into some snorkel excursions.

It has been a very busy week with the children and work. I am off to work this afternoon at the pool and tennis club which is about 3 miles from our home. I am glad it is close to where we live.

Thinking of you all in WDW.

LeiLani, Stacey and Lisa my prayers are with you all for your family members.

Happy Birthday and ANN. To all that have had or are having one!!!!!!!!!!!

DS is up time to go.

Have a super day everyone. Fondly, Gail

Gail - sorry to hear about your son. Hope he's doing better today. That's great about your DH's job and the fact that you won't miss the cruise. Sorry to hear you may not make the Hershey meet - I was really looking forward to meeting you in person! Here's hoping things work out so you can come!

Morning all-happy Friday!!!

As for us--

I've got a long dress I bought earlier this summer that is a periwinkle color for formal nights.

For DD (Jamie-12) we just bought her a long formal at Dillard's off the clearance rack for $34. She had to go to Dillard's this last Tues. and they were loaning her a dress for her Disney Radio job last night when she did the movie premiere of Princess Diaries The Royal Engagement. Of course, we started trying on dresses and she found this one she really liked but it was a little long, so I told the store manager, if you will waive the alteration fee I'll just buy it from you instead of taking it as a loaner. He agreed, so I now have her dress for formal nights on the cruise!!!!!

For DH-he has a really nice dark blue suit, and I have purchased a couple of nice Disney ties off of Ebay.

Oh-Princess Diaries----it was wonderful. Disney Radio and their sponsors made it a Royal Wedding night at the theater for the premiere. Everyone was dressed up in party dresses, suits, tuxes, etc. They served wedding cake, had roses, threw a bouquet and garter belt before the movie and Jamie gave away prizes to those who answered questions in the theater. It was alot of fun. The movie was wonderful (it is definitely a girl movie), although my husband said he liked it too. I think it is actually released next Wed.

Anyway, don't know what all our grown kids and grandkids will be wearing, but I'm sure they will wear something nice and appropriate!!!!

Linda

P.S. Yes-we are decorating all 4 stateroom doors!!!!

Originally posted by Dancind
I hope no one minds seeing the same outfit twice!
I'm sure that most people (at least guys) wouldn't even notice! At least guys can wear pretty much the same thing and just change our shirts. I hope to pack light this time. I'm trying to find a way to make two pair of underwear last the whole cruise!

Paul

Well Paul......with those green speedos, just make sure you don't wear anything that is "see through"!!!!!

Linda

P.S. Where is Stacey when you need her? I'm sure she would add her two cents worth also! How dare she go to WDW without us!

Good morning cruisers! :wizard:

ahhh let's see.. formalwear... YES! It's really the only time we get to dress up! DH has a tux so he'll bring that and I have several formal dresses that I never wear and hopefully will still fit into!
I do have a glittery, beaded Xmas sweater that I'll probably wear with a long black skirt to dress up for Christmas or the formal night closest to it... or maybe Palo?
We will definately bring some sort of decorations.. oh geez, when I start thinking about how much stuff we are going to have to schlep.....:crazy: At least we are here in FL and will drive to the port so it's not as bad as having to bring it via air. I can't imagine what kind of looks we'll get with 2 people and enough luggage for 6!! :rolleyes:

Gail, how scary about your DS. I'm glad to hear he's doing better. I'm so greatful that I don't have any severe allergies in my family. I've followed a couple of the peanut allergy threads that occasionally pop up in other areas of DIS and it's scary.

Sorry you might not be able to do the Hershey meet. What holiday falls in mid-September? Is it Yom Kippur? Don't hesitate to say no, but would you mind telling us the tradition behind the holiday? I think most people have some idea what Passover is (enough movies have been made about the whole Exodus), and Hannukah gets talked about because it's so close to Christmas, but I think most of the general population is ignorant of the other Jewish holidays. We studied the focus of the original temple in our Sunday evening program at church and I found a lot of the feasts really interesting.

Back to your normally scheduled thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter