2018 Free Dining Watch Thread V3

Hi! I have a trip booked for our family of 5 from 11/24-12/1 at Carribean Beach, standard room. I’m hoping to change my reservation online as soon as Free Dining is announced. I have a few questions-

If a standard room is not part of the promotion at Carribean Beach, will Free dining not show up when I try to add a promotion under the “Change Your Reservation” button? Or will it show that if I change to a preferred room (or whatever type is allotted for free dining), I could receive that promotion? Does anyone have any experience knowing if a certain type of room is typically included at Carribean Beach?

Also, should I add the Quick Service Dining Plan now in order for the Free Dining promotion to show when I click to add a promotion? I'd like to upgrade to the Standard Dining Plan, but from what I read I can do that later.

Since I booked this trip before ticket prices went up, I’m hoping to not have to make a new reservation. Thanks so much for your help!
:welcome:

Good morning pixie_mtl do you happen to have a list of the deluxe resorts and villas that are offered on the UK FD plan this year. Just curious, thank you.

Unfortunately, your ticket prices will go up whether you modify your reservation to the FD promotion or you have to make a new reservation.

ETA:Replying to TammyE10

I modified my FD BB last year I switched from a value to a moderate. My ticket prices did NOT increase and they grandfathered in the moderate having DDP instead of QSD that was being offered to the public for moderates. I only paid for the hotel change.

Crystal Palace, 1999. DD was 6 at the time... she ate ONE piece of toast. This was before free dining. My sister had to walk me back from the edge... :scared1:

When we went with my sister and her kids a few years ago, my younger niece had salad on her first plate and croutons with ranch on her second. I think she did at least have dessert as well, but GOOD GRIEF, CHILD!

For those who have an existing reservation with a TA and are going to try to get a new reservation as a backup plan... do you create a new MDE account to book the new reservation under? Or does the website let you make a new reservation on your existing account, even if you already have a vacation booked with the same dates?

I will admit that by the end of our trip I can also be the one putting very little on my plate. After 9 days of Disney food, although it's great food and I really like to switch up our options, I'm ready for some home made food....or no food at all. :)

We often end out trips at 1900 Park Fair and more than once the majority of my meal was made up of yummy strawberry soup, and I didn't mind since it was either 'free' or, I'd long ago paid for it when I paid for the DDP!

For those who have an existing reservation with a TA and are going to try to get a new reservation as a backup plan... do you create a new MDE account to book the new reservation under? Or does the website let you make a new reservation on your existing account, even if you already have a vacation booked with the same dates?
You can book a new reservation on the same MDE account. I think it would be much easier to go that route!!

Would love to hear everyone's plan for Monday. I can't possibly stay up all night because I teach high school. Generally I'm up at 5 am CST. I don't know yet what time I will be up. :surfweb:

Would love to hear everyone's plan for Monday. I can't possibly stay up all night because I teach high school. Generally I'm up at 5 am CST. I don't know yet what time I will be up. :surfweb:

I was wondering this too. I have to be at work at 6:30am and up at 4:30 EST, and wonder if that will be early enough or if i should get up earlier. In 2015 when i got FD, i just checked when i got up and was able to modify my ressie at like 4:45ish.

I was wondering this too. I have to be at work at 6:30am and up at 4:30 EST, and wonder if that will be early enough or if i should get up earlier. In 2015 when i got FD, i just checked when i got up and was able to modify my ressie at like 4:45ish.

I admit, I love sleep, but between work and family, never seem to get enough. It will make a rough week to start off with a lack of sleep! I really don't want to get up at 2 am, but I am afraid it may be necessary. Maybe i can go to bed at 5 pm on Sunday! Lol!

As suspected -- seems VERY restrictive this year. No dates in October and November? (except the last few few days). None of the most popular hotels are rumored to have availability for the promotion.

I would have attempted it, had it been during my planned travel dates (Nov. 10-16), but I guess since I am going over Veteran's day weekend (and a week with FOUR Christmas parties) they don't feel they need the promotions there either.

Probably the last year of the promotion (at least at the levels they have had it). I can't imagine they need to "draw" people to the resorts with SWGE opening (and Toy Story Land being new) and the Skyliner opening (making those resorts even more popular).. etc. etc.

Somewhat related question: Are the room-only discounts they often offer at the same time as restrictive in dates as the free-dining?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or know more.. on the rumored information it states alcoholic drinks are excluded with the deal. Now I know with the plan this year with a meal a guest is able to get an alcoholic beverage if 21 or older. Do you think those with free dining will have some sort of exclusion on their plan? Not that this is a deal breaker. I was just thinking it would be nice to be able to have a drink paid for as well some nights :) I would think that would be hard for them to know off hand when just using credits.
Don't worry. Free dining plans are exactly the same as paid plans, only free.

To those who have gone with FD in the past, does the food taste better knowing that it is "free"?
Um, no it doesn't taste better. You just feel better about not having to pay $8 small hotdog with nothing on it or $5 bottle of water out of pocket.

I already have an alarm set on my phone for 3:05am on Monday then every 30 minutes after that until I get up at 5:30. I did this last year and it worked really well. Before going to bed I set the Disney page on the 'Special Offers' page and then when the alarm goes off I wake up and click refresh a few times. (Yes, I don't trust it the first time. ;) ) If there isn't anything new I go back to sleep and repeat 30 mins later.

Rinse and repeat Tuesday morning if the offer does not drop Mon. Wed too if needed. :rolleyes:

Once the offer drops I'm out of bed and down to my Disney set-up in the living room with laptop and iPad at the ready and begin seeing what I can book. I love Disney so the fun for me outside of my regular government job is helping family and friends book Disney trips. Normally I can get 3 or 4 trips booked before the phone lines open.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter