2020 dining plan- credits are now adult and child specific

Status
Not open for further replies.
My family, 2 adults and a 15yo (so 3 adults), had the DxDDP for 12 days last summer. My DD15 mostly orders from the kids menu. We ate at 26 TS venues. More times than not, they supersized her meal (which wasnt wanted as she eats like a bird). The only place that flat out refused to give her a kids menu was Via Napoli. I have no idea the reason for it, but they said if we were using an adult credit, we need to order an adult meal. Luckily she likes plain ravoli, no sauce, and they were able to accommodate.

Via Napoli is the one place that has always only done exactly what the DDP says, so I'm not surprised they didn't let you do this. But just know that the next time you go, if you get the DDP, your DD will probably not be able to order off the kid's menu.

Yes, it is and has been for at least 10 years. Though when exchanging meal credit for snacks, you must purchase all 3 snacks together. You cant get an ice cream at 1pm, a drink at 4pm and a krispy treat at 10pm. All snacks must be purchased at the same time using the one credit.

The exchange for 3 snacks has never been in Disney's literature. It's always been done at the resorts and began to be done at the parks quite regularly several years ago, but I don't think you'll find it as a written policy anywhere.

Via Napoli is the one place that has always only done exactly what the DDP says, so I'm not surprised they didn't let you do this. But just know that the next time you go, if you get the DDP, your DD will probably not be able to order off the kid's menu.

The exchange for 3 snacks has never been in Disney's literature. It's always been done at the resorts and began to be done at the parks quite regularly several years ago, but I don't think you'll find it as a written policy anywhere.

From Disney Parks Moms Panel

You can definitely use an adult credit to pay for a child meal, but of course not the other way around. Hope that helps! Moms Panel tip - Be sure to start booking those Advanced Dining Reservations up to 180 days in advance of your check-in date, as the most popular restaurants do start to fill up.

Under the current system, guests on the Disney Dining Plan with leftover Quick Service Dining Credits can trade in 1 Quick Service Dining Credit for 3 Snack Credits. That means if you have leftover credits you can enjoy some awesome on-the-go items covering everything from Dole Whips to Mickey Premium Ice Cream Bars.

The DDP is a choice, so they probably don't have to make accommodations. Just like those that have bariatric surgery or some other reason they can only eat small meals, those with kids who are Disney adults that have issues will have to decide if the DDPs still make sense for them. Paying OOP, you can purchase anything you want/need at all the a la carte places.
That is not how ADA works, especially since it is all or nothing for a room taking it. Basically if you sold a service you accommodate, forcing a disabled individual to pay more for a la carte would clearly be discriminatory. For the bariatric situation there is no need to accommodate since the individual can self accommodate simply by eating only part of the meal.

From Disney Parks Moms Panel

You can definitely use an adult credit to pay for a child meal, but of course not the other way around. Hope that helps! Moms Panel tip - Be sure to start booking those Advanced Dining Reservations up to 180 days in advance of your check-in date, as the most popular restaurants do start to fill up.
Not that I expect the Disney Moms Panel to be accurate, but what was the date on that?

Because on my visit to BOG less than a month ago, they no longer had a means of paying for a child QS meal with an adult credit. Couldn't be done. They register couldn't process it.

I believe it was 2015/2016
One year as printed policy doesn't mean it is is currently or previously official policy.
Like others have said, it's been practice for over a decade
Sure. It's been practice since September 2005 - the very first Dining P!an Free promotion, which massively overwhelmed restaurants. Whenever it's not written into the official policy, it's practice or tradition. But no venue is obligated to comply.

That is not how ADA works, especially since it is all or nothing for a room taking it. Basically if you sold a service you accommodate, forcing a disabled individual to pay more for a la carte would clearly be discriminatory. For the bariatric situation there is no need to accommodate since the individual can self accommodate simply by eating only part of the meal.

We may be disagreeing over semantics. I don't see the DDP as a service; it's a product. You can purchase it or not. I guess if you could prove you had to pay more to feed your child, then you might be able to show discrimination, but I don't see how you would pay more if you are purchasing kid's meals for a child that has to pay adult prices for the DDP.

One year as printed policy doesn't mean it is is currently or previously official policy.

Sure. It's been practice since September 2005 - the very first Dining P!an Free promotion, which massively overwhelmed restaurants. Whenever it's not written into the official policy, it's practice or tradition. But no venue is obligated to comply.
No, but I was saying your statement that it had never been policy was again false. It was official policy written on Disney's dining plan brochures 1 year, therefore stating that it has never been policy is inaccurate.

Links to the 2015, 2016, and 2017 DDP brochures below. None of the 3 state anything about converting one QS meal to 3 snacks. As I remember, it's never been official policy...

https://www.wdwmagic.com/other/disn...5-2015-disney-dining-plan-brochures/24314.htm
https://www.wdwmagic.com/other/disn...5-2016-disney-dining-plan-brochures/24660.htm
https://www.wdwmagic.com/other/disn...6-2017-disney-dining-plan-brochures/29233.htm
I'll have to look later to see if I can find it. It was a big deal on the dis at the time, so I know at some point it was written on their own literature.

We may be disagreeing over semantics. I don't see the DDP as a service; it's a product. You can purchase it or not. I guess if you could prove you had to pay more to feed your child, then you might be able to show discrimination, but I don't see how you would pay more if you are purchasing kid's meals for a child that has to pay adult prices for the DDP.
even if it is just a convenience that non disabled individuals get it would still be covered under ADA The key trigger are you in some way deprived of part of the benefit that can be accommodated and non disabled individual get, this includes the benefit not being a practical choice because appropriate accommodations are not being provided

I get that ADA does not always make sense in the surface, but after many years of reading court decisions and OCR guidance it does begin to make senes, well most of the time.

I'll have to look later to see if I can find it. It was a big deal on the dis at the time, so I know at some point it was written on their own literature.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/28403337/2014-quick-service-dining-plan-walt-disney-world
That's the farthest back I can find for QS and TS dining plans. I can find them for 2013 and 2012 for the Deluxe and the now defunct Premium dining plans, but neither included QS meals so there was no wording there regarding the 3 for 1 trade, either.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/28403337/2014-quick-service-dining-plan-walt-disney-world
That's the farthest back I can find for QS and TS dining plans. I can find them for 2013 and 2012 for the Deluxe and the now defunct Premium dining plans, but neither included QS meals so there was no wording there regarding the 3 for 1 trade, either.

Whoops...not so fast...

I found this one for 2012...

https://www.best-orlando-getaways.com/support-files/disney-dining-plan-quick-service.pdf
No 3 for 1 swap mentioned.

Successfully swapped a Child QS credit for three snacks at Karamell-Kuche in Epcot Germany. Had no problem whatsoever.
Thank you... this is the type of information that is valuable. I know that ymmv but...at least we know it can be done.

I'm curious how this will work for us on our August trip. DS will turn 10 half way through our trip and we have the dining plan. I wonder if he will be restricted to the kids menu the entire trip, or if his credits will convert when he ages up. I know it used to be that you were the age of check in (price wise) for the duration of the trip, but this seems to complicate that a bit. Has anyone had any experience with this yet?

I'm curious how this will work for us on our August trip. DS will turn 10 half way through our trip and we have the dining plan. I wonder if he will be restricted to the kids menu the entire trip, or if his credits will convert when he ages up. I know it used to be that you were the age of check in (price wise) for the duration of the trip, but this seems to complicate that a bit. Has anyone had any experience with this yet?

There is no "aging up" during a trip. If a child is booked as a child, they remain a child the entire trip. Credits do not "convert" from child to adult due to a birthday during the trip. If you desire for him to be able to order from the adult menu, you have to pay for him as an adult (adult ddp) for the entire trip...which also means a few dollars more for adult tickets.

If, by chance, you have free dining for your trip, you can call and age him up for the trip, and the extra cost will only be for adult tickets...which will be a small upcharge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter