Airmiles Armchair Chatter

I'm in 14 day isolation because of returning from Florida early Sunday (fabulous vacation, but I don't want to say too much because so many of you have had your vacations cancelled). A friend has volunteered to do a grocery run for me tomorrow, but she told me she's keeping the air miles! Be careful people, even your friends are out to get your air miles in these unprecedented times :rotfl2:

I went to IGA this morning to get some groceries for my family and some for my parents. Although Mega Miles has been postponed, The coupon from the flyer still scanned properly. IGA promo is : Between March 19- April 1 with $175 cumulative purchases get 50 Bonus Miles and with $300 get 100 Bonus Miles. I also had a personal promo from my shop last week.
So for a $235 purchase I received 11 base, 50 bonus (flyer) and 60 bonus (personal promo) 121 Bonus Miles in total. I had to get food for all of us anyway, so I'll take it. Happy the Mega Miles coupon still worked even though the actual promotion has been postponed.

I went to IGA this morning to get some groceries for my family and some for my parents. Although Mega Miles has been postponed, The coupon from the flyer still scanned properly. IGA promo is : Between March 19- April 1 with $175 cumulative purchases get 50 Bonus Miles and with $300 get 100 Bonus Miles. I also had a personal promo from my shop last week.
So for a $235 purchase I received 11 base, 50 bonus (flyer) and 60 bonus (personal promo) 121 Bonus Miles in total. I had to get food for all of us anyway, so I'll take it. Happy the Mega Miles coupon still worked even though the actual promotion has been postponed.

So the coupon is in the paper flyer? I hope they have some at the store because I no longer get paper flyers at home. I usually do my grocery at Provigo Le Marché but it's further than IGA so I might just go there again this week.

I dont even look at the flyers, self isolating. Plus cant really ask the great people that have gotten some supplies for us to price match and collect points. My point collection is in self isolation too.
I'm in 14 day isolation because of returning from Florida early Sunday (fabulous vacation, but I don't want to say too much because so many of you have had your vacations cancelled). A friend has volunteered to do a grocery run for me tomorrow, but she told me she's keeping the air miles! Be careful people, even your friends are out to get your air miles in these unprecedented times :rotfl2:
THANK-YOU for doing your part to protect our communities and those who work in essential businesses. My mom (who will be 80 this July BTW) owns an M & M and mentioned that the day before yesterday she had someone come into the store talking about the amazing trip he'd just got home from and how he'd needed to go thru FOUR separate airports to get home from New Zealand. But no fears, he felt fine and didn't think he fit any categories on the sheet they gave him and he threw out as he walked out of Pearson. What is wrong with people?!?!?!?!?!

THANK-YOU for doing your part to protect our communities and those who work in essential businesses. My mom (who will be 80 this July BTW) owns an M & M and mentioned that the day before yesterday she had someone come into the store talking about the amazing trip he'd just got home from and how he'd needed to go thru FOUR separate airports to get home from New Zealand. But no fears, he felt fine and didn't think he fit any categories on the sheet they gave him and he threw out as he walked out of Pearson. What is wrong with people?!?!?!?!?!
I am daily hearing stories about people that claim to be isolating yet they had a person bring groceries into their house....yes, INSIDE the house. Or they went out in the car and got a coffee at the drive thru. Or they got home from a trip and they have been mingling at home with other people they live with. More than 10 different people I know have posted these sorts of things on their socials. I get that we all don't work in healthcare and understand about infection control but this is making me nuts.

I think a lot of people that are arriving back in the last few days are possibly not fully aware of what is happening. I don't watch the news when I'm away. My DH's boss went to Cuba last Friday which totally blows my mind because we were planning a trip for Easter weekend and by last Thursday morning I knew that with 100% certainty a vacation was off the table. How they could go ahead with a trip at that point blows my mind. DH has been texting with his boss and it doesn't sound like his boss understands that his whole family will be home for 14 days upon return. I am very curious to know what and how they will be told when they get off the plane. I certainly hope they are told it's a mandatory isolation period and exactly what that entails.

I am daily hearing stories about people that claim to be isolating yet they had a person bring groceries into their house....yes, INSIDE the house. Or they went out in the car and got a coffee at the drive thru. Or they got home from a trip and they have been mingling at home with other people they live with. More than 10 different people I know have posted these sorts of things on their socials. I get that we all don't work in healthcare and understand about infection control but this is making me nuts.

I think a lot of people that are arriving back in the last few days are possibly not fully aware of what is happening. I don't watch the news when I'm away. My DH's boss went to Cuba last Friday which totally blows my mind because we were planning a trip for Easter weekend and by last Thursday morning I knew that with 100% certainty a vacation was off the table. How they could go ahead with a trip at that point blows my mind. DH has been texting with his boss and it doesn't sound like his boss understands that his whole family will be home for 14 days upon return. I am very curious to know what and how they will be told when they get off the plane. I certainly hope they are told it's a mandatory isolation period and exactly what that entails.

I had a friend come home from London, England yesterday and nothing was told to him at customs. He is doing his 14 days self-isolation but was not even asked how he was feeling.

I don't either but then I also don't completely isolate myself and we had a general idea what was going on with this virus before we left in mid-January, enough that we kept an eye on it simply because -- well, we're part of this big rock floating around. Fast forward to our return to Pearson (even 3 weeks went by too quickly) and we arrived 2 days after the first confirmed case came thru the same terminal, and THAT we had heard. The customs hall was MOBBED even though it was 1 am and we thought it was mildly odd that the entire staff was gloved & masked but shrugged it off. We had to answer questions on the screen about travelling from China and/or feeling ill, again, didn't much care. That's until we were heading out with our bags and passing not one, not two but THREE carousels with baggage from China. This was the end of January and there wasn't much info to be heard anywhere but we put ourselves under self-isolation!! We did go to the grocery store but that was it and at that point it wasn't being advised against.

At this point in time there is ZERO reason to not follow the "suggested" isolation, come on people, you can't avoid hearing the numbers anymore and most are still travel related. (suggested in quotes because unless you came from that one cruise, you're being allowed to go home!)

For those of you who redeemed miles for Universal & Disney tickets depending on how you handled those tickets this will either be good news or rather confusing!
This has appeared on the Airmiles site -thanks for the head's up @ilovetotravel1977 i figured this is a good place to share it as well.

First, excellent news for Universal tickets

What should I do if I’m holding Universal Orlando and Universal Studios Hollywood tickets issued by AIR MILES that I cannot use?
Until March 31, 2020, cancellation requests for Universal Orlando and Universal Studios Hollywood tickets redeemed prior to March 5, 2020, can be submitted by returning tickets to AIR MILES in order for us to process a refund with the Supplier and subsequently credit Miles to AIR MILES Collector Accounts.
What should I do if I’m holding Universal Orlando and Universal Studios Hollywood tickets issued by AIR MILES that I cannot use?

Until March 31, 2020, cancellation requests for Universal Orlando and Universal Studios Hollywood tickets redeemed prior to March 5, 2020, can be submitted by returning tickets to AIR MILES in order for us to process a refund with the Supplier and subsequently credit Miles to AIR MILES Collector Accounts.

The news for Disney tickets is a tad more confusing Disney LAND - also excellent news
What should I do if I’m holding Disneyland California Resort or Walt Disney World Florida tickets issued by AIR MILES that I cannot use?
Disneyland California: Please note that tickets are currently valid until December 31, 2020. Until March 31, 2020, cancellation requests for Disneyland California tickets redeemed prior to March 5, can be submitted by returning tickets to AIR MILES in order for us to process a refund with the Supplier and subsequently credit Miles to AIR MILES Collector Accounts.

Disney WORLD .. good grief, this is a tad messy! Does anyone NOT add them to your MDE as soon as you get them?!?!
Walt Disney World Florida: Please note that tickets are currently valid until December 31, 2020. Until March 31, 2020, cancellation requests for Walt Disney World Florida tickets redeemed prior to March 5 that are NOT through “My Disney Experience” can be submitted by returning tickets to AIR MILES in order for us to process a refund with the Supplier and subsequently credit Miles to AIR MILES Collector Accounts.

Alternatively, if your Walt Disney World Florida tickets have been connected to their “My Disney Experience,” these are not eligible for a refund; however, please note tickets are currently valid until December 31, 2020. Guests can make changes themselves to further extend their dates on MyDisneyExperience.com or via the My Disney Experience app.

I just received a notification of "flight change" from Airmiles. There is no flight information on it. It says I need to contact them if I'm not OK with the change. When I call I get the 36hours before flight time message. I know the flight has likely been cancelled.

I looked my itinerary up in my account and it is no longer there. Anyone else have a similar experience recently. Are they going to put the AM back in my account and the $ back on my CC automatically?

If they are just going to tell me I can rebook then I might as well wait until they cancel my second flight and I can rebook the two flights at the same time.

I just received a notification of "flight change" from Airmiles. There is no flight information on it. It says I need to contact them if I'm not OK with the change. When I call I get the 36hours before flight time message. I know the flight has likely been cancelled.

I looked my itinerary up in my account and it is no longer there. Anyone else have a similar experience recently. Are they going to put the AM back in my account and the $ back on my CC automatically?

If they are just going to tell me I can rebook then I might as well wait until they cancel my second flight and I can rebook the two flights at the same time.

I received a similar email (2 actually, one for the flight down, one for the flight home) for our trip April 17 to 30th. The "schedule change" is a cancellation, yes. However, there was a bit more information provided in my email. More info, but less clarity?

We regret to inform you that AC1666 from Halifax, Stanfield Intl (YHZ) to Orlando, Orlando Intl (MCO) on April 17, 2020 has been cancelled due to the impacts of COVID-19, government travel advisories and/or health and safety concerns.

The full value of what you paid will become a future travel credit valid for 24 months. To store this value, if you booked with:

1. Air Canada: Visit https://www.aircanada.com/mybookings and enter your booking details. Select "Cancel Booking" and when you select confirm, any change fees will be waived.

2. A travel agency: They will process this for you on your behalf.

3. Air Canada Vacations: Your credit will be stored automatically.

4. Aeroplan: Visit https://www.aeroplan.com and select "Manage Your Bookings" to return the Aeroplan Miles into your account.

When you're ready to rebook within 24 months, if you booked with:

- Air Canada: Please call us and make sure to provide your original ticket number starting with "014".

- A travel agency: Please contact them directly.

- Air Canada Vacations: Please contact them directly.

- Aeroplan: You can rebook anytime at https://www.aeroplan.com.

AIR MILES Confirmation Code: ####

Airline Confirmation Code: ####

Please call us at 1-888-413-1311 or at 416-228-6627 and choose option 2. If we don't hear from you, your request may be denied, or you may be charged a fee.

So... do I call now? Or not? Final sentence says if we don't hear from you, but the phone and online messages all say they are only dealing with those who are trying to return to Canada or whose flights are within 36h from now.

@kimbert Wow, you got a lot more information than I did. No mention of the flight # and cancelled... on my notice. It's like they forgot to add that to the email.

I called and like you wait until you are 36 hours before flight message. I'm still waiting for them to cancel my return flight so I will wait until they do that before I call. That way I can book the two flights at the same time.

I would suggest you call Monday morning right at opening. This way you will minimize your wait (hopefully). Do you know what dates you want to rebook for? This is such a mess. If they would just refund the AM and the $ we could go online and rebook quickly without needing their help. It would be so much easier.

Let me know how it goes.

@kimbert Wow, you got a lot more information than I did. No mention of the flight # and cancelled... on my notice. It's like they forgot to add that to the email.

I called and like you wait until you are 36 hours before flight message. I'm still waiting for them to cancel my return flight so I will wait until they do that before I call. That way I can book the two flights at the same time.

I would suggest you call Monday morning right at opening. This way you will minimize your wait (hopefully). Do you know what dates you want to rebook for? This is such a mess. If they would just refund the AM and the $ we could go online and rebook quickly without needing their help. It would be so much easier.

Let me know how it goes.
The more I read it over, the more it seems like AirMiles just copied and pasted something that might have come directly from Air Canada, into their template, then bookended it with their own contact info/statements.
Ideally we would change to a November trip. I was planning to run my first Disney race there at the Star Wars weekend, but I would try for the fall Wine and Dine (except it's sold out, but we would probably try to go at that time anyway). I would prefer to just cancel everything and get my cash and miles returned, but that wasn't an option listed in the email text, so I assume I have to call and ask.
Unfortunately both my husband (bakery manager at Sobeys) and myself (quality assurance technician at a company which makes medical devices - nothing that can help with this virus, but it's not like other diseases are on hold right now) are still working, so phone calls are going to be hard to make. I'm thinking I just wait and see if I get any more emails from AM detailing what their plans are for cancelled flights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter